Epcot's Soarin Over CA

Originally posted by Claudia Kellenberger
I am so excited about this.
I wonder if it is possible to have a soft opening December '04 ??

LOL I wish!! I will be there the end of Nov/ beginning of Dec

That is why I wanted to know too! We are hoping for a trip this December and DS really wants to expereince this! He has asked that we wait a few months so that he knows it will be open!

I just think we should pray for a soft opening in November and real opeing in December! How does that sound to all of you?

LOL!:p I was just sitting here wondering the same thing. We'll be back down in December too!:D

Originally posted by flyinglizard

The attraction was conceived by Senior VP Disney Imagineer, Tony Baxter, in a "restaurant" on a paper cocktail napkin. Reception and support to the idea was immediate and planning for the show was given priority AND budget. The "Good Guys" won! At some early point in time, it was decided that Soarin would be built at the other parks. There was discussion that each location would have a "custom" film prepared to localize the flight experience. Not sure if that idea was scrapped temporarily for the usual budget considererations or not.

However, the most important things about this new attraction is that it is unique, enjoyable and it is 100% DISNEY! And the word for that is IMAGINEERING!!!

No it's not, it's not 100% Disney.

1. The projection system is using IMAX system, a Canadian system.

2. Soaring-like attraction was developed by IMAX for a park in France (forgot the name of the park at the moment, but it's a technological theme parks with multiple IMAX theatres) and was put in place IIRC 4 years ago with the storyline of the audience being a butterly flying around the world.

3. The only "Disney original" about it is the "4D" experience (wind effects and such).

Wow, thanks for all the posts to my questions. I didn't realize this had been such a hot topic. I have seen the ads for Soarin at California Adventure and I kind of knew what it was about. I just can't believe I had missed all of the discussion about it at Epcot. The pictures on wdwmagic.com are pretty amazing...that is a HUGE building.

We were at the World the 1st week of November 03 and the news hadn't broken yet. Since then, we are about to have our first baby in about 2 weeks and I haven't checked the DIS very often. BUT, we will be returning to Disney sometime during the next year or so, and I have finally gotten back into checking the DIS a little more often. Thanks for all the reports.

I am thrilled about it coming, but on one small note, I am kind of sad that they got rid of Food Rocks for the que area. It is really corny, but it always made our day to hear Pita Gabriel and the Refridgerater Police. I wish they could have started the que somewhere else in the Land Pavillion.

I was sad about Food Rocks! too, but believe me, Soarin Over California is AWESOME and you will LOVE IT. Great effects, its really very cool...

Yes, there have a been a few discussions about it recently, but they are probably buried =)

Just an FYI, but the search feature is working. No reason anymore not to find those old discussions. :)

Originally posted by iceskatejen
At DCA it's 40 inches.

Thanks! It probably won't be open for my trips, but I will either make it to WDW to see it sometime or to CA.

I do wish that they had of made the WDW one Soarin over Florida or over the USA instead of CA, but it was probably cheaper to make what they already had.

T&B

I'd love to see Soarin' all over the US too, but if given the choice of CA or FL, (no offence meant to any Floridians over this) CA is much more interesting geographically. We've got mountains, deserts, forests, beaches, rocky coastline, farmland, and you get to see all of that in Soarin'. Plus flyovers of some cities.

Originally posted by iceskatejen
I'd love to see Soarin' all over the US too, but if given the choice of CA or FL, (no offence meant to any Floridians over this) CA is much more interesting geographically. We've got mountains, deserts, forests, beaches, rocky coastline, farmland, and you get to see all of that in Soarin'. Plus flyovers of some cities.

Good point! I'm from Oregon and I suppose that I should have realized that... :rolleyes:

Soarin USA would have worked for sure and could have been wonderful.

T&B

Anyone have a link to/or photos of the construction site?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter