Epcot's Soarin Over CA

Dr.Mickey

DIS Veteran
I just read on www.wdwmagic.com about the addition of California Adventure's "Soarin Over CA" to the Land section of Epcot. I usually keep up with what's coming, but this one totally slipped by me. Has this already been discussed on the Dis alot? Has anyone ridden this in California? I hear it gets pretty good reviews. I'd love to hear anyone's comments.

From his pictures, it looks like they have already started consturction behind the Land.

We went on it a few times in Cal. in 2002. It's an awesome ride!
You fly over 'California' in a 'hang glider'- you see the sights- smell the smells. Very Cool.

Too bad they weren't doing it with a Florida theme in Florida, tho.

We rode this in California a couple of years ago- really loved it! I have pretty bad motion sickness, but wasn't bothered much because I could still see walls, etc.to focus away from the screen every so often. They just showed it on one of the travel channel specials!

Yes it has been discussed on the DIS. I am sure you will find a few threads if you do a search.

I rode Soarin in Calif. It was a great experience. I can't wait for it to come to Florida.

Soarin over CA is a great ride. It brings the IMAX screen up close and personal with your own moving hang-glider. I did get stuck riding it on the bottom row on the far end once and the effect wasn't quite as amazing as it is when you ride closer to the middle.

It will be a welcome addition to WDW.

MCMom

I understand the new Soarin' ride will be located at The Land Pavillion. But I also read they are building something massive for this ride behind Canada. It's so big it is changing the views of WS and Disney is actually thinking of creating a new ride in front of it to "hide" this structure.

However, Canada is no where near The Land. What are they building at Canada that has anything to do with Soarin'? Is it going to remain behind Canada permanently or will they move it? I'm just trying to figure out how a massive structure behind Canada could have anything to do with a ride that is supposed to be located halfway across the park.

That is the building for Soarin behind Canada. The Land is behind Canada. You will enter the new Soarin from the Land building near where you started the greenhouse tour.

Thank you Safetymom!!! I've been so confused about this. It makes so much more sense now!!

That is the building for Soarin behind Canada. The Land is behind Canada. You will enter the new Soarin from the Land building near where you started the greenhouse tour.

Okay, I just checked a map of Epcot (which I probably should have done before posting:o ). I thought they were farther apart, but i now see they are not so far apart. However, the Journey into Imagination Pavillion is between Canada and The Land. I assume the structure behind Canada is actually closer to the Imagination Pavillion than UK. But that is still a good distance away from The Land. Does that mean that the Soarin' attraction is going to be a huge attraction (space wise, I mean)? I'm not complaining if it's a big structure since it probably means a lot of bang for the buck. I'm just wondering how big it will be.

Also, are they getting rid of the boat ride at The Land?

When you are standing in the park you can see that they actually are pretty close to each other. Soarin will be in a big building, parts of it you can already see in the park.

I've only been to California once in my life and didn't intend to visit Disneyworld at all. We're from the East Coast. However, on our way down to San Diego my husband wound up arranging for spur of the moment discount tickets to see all the Disney Parks.

The one park I looked forward to was California Adventure.

The only thing that I remember vividly was the Soaring over California ride :tongue: I ususally get motion sickness and avoid rides but this was really fun. The music is great and you get a floating sensation. I highly recommended it.::yes::

I've been on the DCA version upwards of 70 times. I love it. The best seats are in rows B1 (top center) and B2(middle center). In B1 you can occasionally see the top of the screen, but otherwise it's the best view. In B2 you can see the bottoms of the feet from B1, but it's smack dab in the center of the screen. I really dislike B3 because you can see both sides of the screen (it curves at the bottom). I'd rather be in the bottom of either side section than B3.

I've enjoyed Soarin at DCA many times, and I have to admit, it's not a true thrill ride but it most definitely is an "E-Ticket"!

Without giving away too much of the show, it will be fine for people with motion sickness, and a great place to be on Floridas hottest days. The lines will be long...

Unless things have changed recently, the entrance will be where the "Food Rocks" entrance was located. Expect a long que area. In DCA, the attraction building is sunk into the ground pretty deep, perhaps this was not possible in the EPCOT location. The attraction building needs the height to accomodate the Imax screen.

The attraction was conceived by Senior VP Disney Imagineer, Tony Baxter, in a "restaurant" on a paper cocktail napkin. Reception and support to the idea was immediate and planning for the show was given priority AND budget. The "Good Guys" won! At some early point in time, it was decided that Soarin would be built at the other parks. There was discussion that each location would have a "custom" film prepared to localize the flight experience. Not sure if that idea was scrapped temporarily for the usual budget considererations or not.

However, the most important things about this new attraction is that it is unique, enjoyable and it is 100% DISNEY! And the word for that is IMAGINEERING!!!

I don't know much about this ride, are you actually sitting in a seat, that is in a row, are you laying flat on something, or hanging in the air?

Thanks

You sit in one of a row of seats, suspended from above. As the experience begins, your row of seats is lifted into the air, and forward towards an Imax screen. The image fills much more of your peripheral vision than a seat in a normal Imax presentation.

The show features highlights from about 15 breath taking areas in the state of California- from a hang glider perspective. It is sound tracked with a beautiful, relaxing score.

Your seat will sway from side to side gently, up or down, matching the attitude of the way the scene was photographed from the air. You feel the breeze on your face. I imagine it is very close to the way it feels in a hang glider. There are no rough or jerky movements like in a flight simulator.

Comes with a Fast Pass station too!

An excellent experience!

Thank you so much for the explanation!!
Sounds like something I would like!

Soarin' was my favorite experience at DCA.

We got to watch construction of the new one at EPCOT this past week from our window at the BCVs. It's coming along!!

pin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter