DVC Rookie Q's

Yes and No?

We purchased SSR in early May 2004. The resort opened Oct of the same year ... but we took our first vacation on those points in August 2004 at Vero. We had access to our points five months before the resort opened.

FWIW, our trip in August 2004 was on 'borrowed' points -- pulling Oct 2004 points into the 2003 UY. Our first set of points were issued on 10/1/2004.

I don't believe that should have been allowed from our experience and per what I recall reading in the documents we signed - we were always restricted for using points until either the resort opened or the unit we bought (tied to UY) opened.

a multi billion dollar resort company like Disney cant figure out to make a 7 day Dining plan for a 4night/2night split stay.

They can figure it out. They choose not to, as this is one of the scenarios where they stand to turn a profit. The DDP exists for profit, not to be a great value. By forcing the linkage, they increase margins for themselves.

Say we buy 100 SSR and later we pick up 80 points at OKW, Would we need to have the same use year in order to book and use all of our points at SSR? Or would we have to book using our 100SSR points at the 11 month mark, and then wait till 7 month mark to add on our SSR stay using our OKW points?

The OKW points could not be used at 11 months anywhere but OKW. You could only combine at 7 months, which is a nuisance with different UY. Even with the same UY, the points ALWAYS retain home resort.

I will add the same comment again................... Buy where you want to stay! If possible, anytime you buy multiple contracts get the same UY; it simply makes planing easier.

This brings up a good question that I have and Im sure its been answered here numerous times. My wife and I hate split stays. Mainly because we do the dining plan and for some odd reason, a multi billion dollar resort company like Disney cant figure out to make a 7 day Dining plan for a 4night/2night split stay. It always screws up our credits and we end up having to pay out of pocket for some meals because the points wont carry over inside of one split stay.

Say we buy 100 SSR and later we pick up 80 points at OKW, Would we need to have the same use year in order to book and use all of our points at SSR? Or would we have to book using our 100SSR points at the 11 month mark, and then wait till 7 month mark to add on our SSR stay using our OKW points?

On the other hand if we had 100 SSR/Feb use year and then bought a seperate 80 point SSR contract Feb use year would all of those points be avaiable to book 1 room and use the entire 180 pts?
I'd buy all at SSR in this example or else I'd buy a higher demand resort. Same title, same UY and same home resort. I definitely wouldn't buy at OKW for this situation, there's nothing OKW points won't do in this example that SSR can't do cheaper and likely better. At least nothing of significance since you can get OKW most anytime at 7 months out and there's not enough points in play to secure a 3 BR anyway.

This brings up a good question that I have and Im sure its been answered here numerous times. My wife and I hate split stays. Mainly because we do the dining plan and for some odd reason, a multi billion dollar resort company like Disney cant figure out to make a 7 day Dining plan for a 4night/2night split stay. It always screws up our credits and we end up having to pay out of pocket for some meals because the points wont carry over inside of one split stay.

If we do the DDP we do the deluxe and only for the first split stay. The credit carries over until midnight of your check out day so we can eat on the plan after we move. When we check in at the second resort we verify the credits that we have left.

:earsboy: Bill

If we do the DDP we do the deluxe and only for the first split stay. The credit carries over until midnight of your check out day so we can eat on the plan after we move. When we check in at the second resort we verify the credits that we have left.

:earsboy: Bill
Deluxe plan with a short/split stay and/or multiple villas but only getting it for part along with kids 3-9 are the best ways to get enough value to make the DP worthwhile.

We just did that in Oct. Was a great value for us. Was at BWV for 4 nights in 2 studios (2 couples). We booked deluxe DP for one room. We did Cali Grill, Artist Point and Jiko....Jiko was on the day we switched from BWV to AKV (8:45 ADR that night). We used the 16 snacks at F&W booths for items @$6+. Each couple got a refillable mug which could be used even at AKV. We kept track of costs and the mugs, CG and AP and half the F&W snack items totaled the costing the DDP....so Jiko and half the F&W snacks were essentially free. Was too much eating though, with apps and entres and desserts at each TS. So probably won't do it again next year....think we're getting a TIW card on Dec 30 (next trip).

We just did that in Oct. Was a great value for us. Was at BWV for 4 nights in 2 studios (2 couples). We booked deluxe DP for one room. We did Cali Grill, Artist Point and Jiko....Jiko was on the day we switched from BWV to AKV (8:45 ADR that night). We used the 16 snacks at F&W booths for items @$6+. Each couple got a refillable mug which could be used even at AKV. We kept track of costs and the mugs, CG and AP and half the F&W snack items totaled the costing the DDP....so Jiko and half the F&W snacks were essentially free. Was too much eating though, with apps and entres and desserts at each TS. So probably won't do it again next year....think we're getting a TIW card on Dec 30 (next trip).

And they really don't care if you are using it for 4 people -vs- 2?

I would consider this for us next time. We will be 2 in 1 studio 3 in another for 5 nights. So, that's either 30 or 45 TS plus 20 or 30 snacks depending on how we break it down. Gonna have to do the math on this!

And they really don't care if you are using it for 4 people -vs- 2?

I would consider this for us next time. We will be 2 in 1 studio 3 in another for 5 nights. So, that's either 30 or 45 TS plus 20 or 30 snacks depending on how we break it down. Gonna have to do the math on this!
Nope. We had the plan on SIL and BIL's room so BIL always scanned his MB to pay and the server clarified with us how many would be using it and we'd say 4 of us. We'd charge tips and bar drinks to the MB too and then DH and I would pick up other meals we did and extra booths at F&W. We just kept track and split costs pretty evenly. When we booked the DDP on their room, I paid since it was my DVC so I had to call to book...?then SIL wrote check for half.

Nope. We had the plan on SIL and BIL's room so BIL always scanned his MB to pay and the server clarified with us how many would be using it and we'd say 4 of us. We'd charge tips and bar drinks to the MB too and then DH and I would pick up other meals we did and extra booths at F&W. We just kept track and split costs pretty evenly. When we booked the DDP on their room, I paid since it was my DVC so I had to call to book...?then SIL wrote check for half.

(Sorry I know I'm hijacking and there is likely a better place to ask this question)

Do you happen to know if magicbands from previous trips still get activated/linked to current reservations? I remember last trip we somehow had 2 sets of wristbands that worked interchangeably. I'm just wondering if I gave my D and her BF one of my "old" bands they would be able to access snack credits on the room / reservation we have the DDP on. We'd be eating TS meals together, so no problem there, but when they're off doing their own thing they might want access to the snacks!

Sorry. Our last trip was in 2016 but I didn't have a real grasp on the magicbands or the new fastpass system even then....it was all new to us. I feel like I'm starting over. lol

(Sorry I know I'm hijacking and there is likely a better place to ask this question)

Do you happen to know if magicbands from previous trips still get activated/linked to current reservations? I remember last trip we somehow had 2 sets of wristbands that worked interchangeably. I'm just wondering if I gave my D and her BF one of my "old" bands they would be able to access snack credits on the room / reservation we have the DDP on. We'd be eating TS meals together, so no problem there, but when they're off doing their own thing they might want access to the snacks!

Sorry. Our last trip was in 2016 but I didn't have a real grasp on the magicbands or the new fastpass system even then....it was all new to us. I feel like I'm starting over. lol
As long as you don't inactivate the MB on MDE it will be linked to your room resie. So it should work for your DD to use to access snack credits.

Last edited:

Magic bands remain linked to your account unless you report them stolen. You also can make them inactive and then reactivate should you wish.

I'm just wondering if I gave my D and her BF one of my "old" bands they would be able to access snack credits on the room / reservation we have the DDP on. We'd be eating TS meals together, so no problem there, but when they're off doing their own thing they might want access to the snacks!
They will work for this, but I wouldn't recommend it. This is akin to giving your DD & BF your credit card and saying here go charge with this and sign my name. You should just add food charging to their band, which anyone at Guest Services at any park entrance or your hotel can do for you. Then they can charge on their band and your statement will correctly show who charged what.

They will work for this, but I wouldn't recommend it. This is akin to giving your DD & BF your credit card and saying here go charge with this and sign my name. You should just add food charging to their band, which anyone at Guest Services at any park entrance or your hotel can do for you. Then they can charge on their band and your statement will correctly show who charged what.

Thanks but I was looking for a way for her to access snack credits from a dining plan that would only be on room #1 (no dining plan on hers - room #2)....so I'm not sure what you're suggesting is possible. As for charging privileges, my DD has been an authorized user on my CC since she was 16 anyway. No problems so far!

Thanks but I was looking for a way for her to access snack credits from a dining plan that would only be on room #1 (no dining plan on hers - room #2)....so I'm not sure what you're suggesting is possible. As for charging privileges, my DD has been an authorized user on my CC since she was 16 anyway. No problems so far!
Buying a Dining Plan on one room intending to split among guests at a 2nd room by having them pretend to be someone in the first room and charge with their band is definitely not "allowed". I'm sure a lot of ppl would want to do this and I have ideas about it but posting so as to suggest ways to get around Disney's rules is not allowed out here. :( To use it legitimately, you'd have to add her to your room. Which would up your Dining plan cost of course.

Buying a Dining Plan on one room intending to split among guests at a 2nd room by having them pretend to be someone in the first room and charge with their band is definitely not "allowed". I'm sure a lot of ppl would want to do this and I have ideas about it but posting so as to suggest ways to get around Disney's rules is not allowed out here. :( To use it legitimately, you'd have to add her to your room. Which would up your Dining plan cost of course.

From all reports it's often done and servers just ask how many dining plans to charge. It could be used for people who aren't even staying at WDW and are just eating with friends who are. You have to add the dining plan for all people on a room but is it definitely stated that you can't use it for people who are not in that room? It certainly isn't Disney's practice on the end of usage.

From all reports it's often done and servers just ask how many dining plans to charge. It could be used for people who aren't even staying at WDW and are just eating with friends who are.
You're describing something different, which is allowed.
1) an authorized charger on the room is buying for other guests, friends, or random strangers. OK.
2) a non-authorized user not on the plan, not even staying in the room is using someone else's band to charge for him/herself or anyone else. Not OK.

You're describing something different, which is allowed.
1) an authorized charger on the room is buying for other guests, friends, or random strangers. OK.
2) a non-authorized user not on the plan, not even staying in the room is using someone else's band to charge for him/herself or anyone else. Not OK.

I'm not certain it's different as the children are being given authorization by the parent. But even so that's a different things vs Disney's requirement for usage - if someone not on the room can use the credits then that would follow anyway it's done. It's different than TIW that specifically states the card holder has to be there etc. I don't believe the dining plan states that.

I'm not certain it's different as the children are being given authorization by the parent. But that's all different than Disney's requirement for usage - if someone not on the room can use the credits then that would follow anyway it's done. It's different than TIW that specifically states the card holder has to be there etc. I don't believe the dining plan states that
Magic Bands are not transferrable. The authorization process is you add them to the room, pay for their plan, then they're legitimately authorized to charge to the room or not based on rules you set for them.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/transferring-to-friend/
Q: Can other people use my MagicBand or card? A: No
Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and only you are authorized to access the benefits associated with it—including touch-to-pay purchases and other entitlements.

This will be our first trip where I may have kids off doing their own thing much of the time....first trip with 2 rooms....first DVC trip.....we usually have free dining.....I've got one kid that eats almost no meat, is lactose intolerant and contemplating gluten free.....still too much stuff to figure out with the FP system that was still pretty new on our last trip and has changed a bit since..... Just trying to get a grasp on things and make a plan. Not trying to circumvent any rules. If we even buy any dining plan, I'll make sure it's used from my magicband by me. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter