DVC Rookie Q's

That’s not how it works. They can’t even have points in inventory ready to sell until the units are available for reservations.
They can sell pending a future availability date, they've done that in the past but only a few months. But the inventory has to match up with sales to a degree at the time the points are actually active. I'm not aware of any legal reason on the sales side they couldn't sell it now with occupancy in 2, 3 or even 4 years but obviously there are other considerations and reasons they wouldn't want to.

They can sell pending a future availability date, they've done that in the past but only a few months. But the inventory has to match up with sales to a degree at the time the points are actually active. I'm not aware of any legal reason on the sales side they couldn't sell it now with occupancy in 2, 3 or even 4 years but obviously there are other considerations and reasons they wouldn't want to.
Right, but in that scenario, the points can be used until the rooms are available.

Right, but in that scenario, the points can be used until the rooms are available.
It's based on the "unit" being declared in inventory and one doesn't pay dues until that date if its later than the closing date or UY. I only recall this happening once with DVC. But there are other situations where a given resort may be out of service but one can still use their points elsewhere which does potentially create more points than availability.

You guys have cleared up a lot. I am glad I finally decided to post.

Other questions-- does anyone think with the new DVC resorts coming that there will be less interest in the older ones to slow down the demand that weve seen recently? I've seen about a 10-15% increase in the resale market since last November. To those that could go back in time and re-do their purchasing experience what would you change? What other advice do you have for rookies like myself and I?

I would not expect demand to decrease; I expect it to increase further. I'm basing this on the future attractions. I feel Star Wars in HS will be a driver across the DVC buyer market (those who have never bought or considered may now consider purchases, those who were considering it will actually purchase, and some current DVC owners may decide to add on).

I don't really think I would have changed anything with our purchases (BRV 1st at 60 pts and then AKV 2nd at 50 pts) since what have fits our travel almost perfectly. If I had the funds available to me, I would have purchased more. That wasn't the case so I stuck to our budget.

My biggest advice is research and experience it. Do what you are doing now; ask questions, look around the internet for opinions and data. Try to visit at least the resorts you have the biggest interest in. Even if you don't stay at a resort, visit the resort and talk to CMs and other guests while you are there. Most folks like to talk about their experiences (good or bad), and CMs sometimes have some different insight/info on the resorts.

One of the reasons I am considering SSR or OKW is the fact that I do like to change it up. I really don't want to stay at the same resort every visit. I like to go during the slower times, so I'm thinking I may be able to get into SSR, OKW, AKVs and maybe possibly the Poly and Hilton Head. We usually do around a four night stint. I just like to change it up a bit.

Could me and DVC not fit together well because of this preference?

Not necessarily. We like to switch it up too. Just book home resort at 11-8 months out and then we what is open at 7 months. I would suggest SSR over OKW because it has a longer life until expiration (unless it's an extended OKW).

Last edited:
One of the reasons I am considering SSR or OKW is the fact that I do like to change it up. I really don't want to stay at the same resort every visit. I like to go during the slower times, so I'm thinking I may be able to get into SSR, OKW, AKVs and maybe possibly the Poly and Hilton Head. We usually do around a four night stint. I just like to change it up a bit.

Could me and DVC not fit together well because of this preference?
IMO this is where most new buyers are, whether they know it or not. And even if they end up with a specific major preference, it'll almost certainly be different than what they think it will be going in. Thus for most I think it's better to spend some time investigating including a rental or 2 for most, often buying lower end and trying the system. It's FAR cheaper and better to buy SSR and find it doesn't work at all than to buy VGF, CC, Poly or the like and end up preferring something else. Of course for those who are looking at a larger ultimate buy in of say 250-300 or more, they really can do both by buying a smaller but full sized contract and trying the system then adjusting from there with a second purchase. OKW is an unknown, esp for the 2057 RTU because of the transition and risk of the dues increasing dramatically then and after.

I actually would consider choosing whichever resort you'd like to stay at that you will most likely NOT get at 7 months. So, you book the hardest to get at 11 months and you will still most likely be able to get SSR, OKW, AKV and maybe even PVB (it may get harder once sold out). You just have to make sure you have enough points to stay at the resort with the highest points requirement. Of the ones you listed, PVB will take at least 50% more points to stay at than OKW.

We bought BWV because we want to stay there the most and it's hard to get the standard studios, but many would argue that because of the 2042 end date that's not the smart choice. Still worth it to us to stay there and enabled us to "get in" with minimum points. PVB and VGF were off my list due to the point requirements and I've just removed them from my mind as options. Ha ha. If we purchase a 2nd resort, it will likely be BLT because I don't know if we'd be able to get a standard studio without the 11 mo window. So, in the end, we would minimally be able to stay at BLT, BWV, SSR, OKW, AKV and - if we're lucky and flexible - elsewhere. I'm OK with not staying at BCV because I consider BWV an "equal" and I feel like I'm ok with either BRV or CCV, so hopefully we can get into one or the other at some point. If so, that pretty much covers everything we're looking to accomplish. And with the addition of a 2nd contract, we may actually have enough points sometime to stay PVB or VGF if the opportunity presented itself and that would just be a bonus I'm not counting on.

Last edited:
PVB is our favorite resort by far, but we are sensible and realize that the extra $40 per point plus the point requirement per stay at the PVB plus the 7 month availability is not always great. We are fine with staying at AKL, SSR, and OKW but want the longer use year so we are looking to pull the trigger on SSR resale.

PVB is our favorite resort by far, but we are sensible and realize that the extra $40 per point plus the point requirement per stay at the PVB plus the 7 month availability is not always great. We are fine with staying at AKL, SSR, and OKW but want the longer use year so we are looking to pull the trigger on SSR resale.
I think that is good thinking. IMO, SSR is the best deal to buy. Cheaper buy in, longer contract life and annual dues are reasonable.

Right, but in that scenario, the points can [sic; should this be "can't"?] be used until the rooms are available.
Yes and No?

We purchased SSR in early May 2004. The resort opened Oct of the same year ... but we took our first vacation on those points in August 2004 at Vero. We had access to our points five months before the resort opened.

FWIW, our trip in August 2004 was on 'borrowed' points -- pulling Oct 2004 points into the 2003 UY. Our first set of points were issued on 10/1/2004.

Yes and No?

We purchased SSR in early May 2004. The resort opened Oct of the same year ... but we took our first vacation on those points in August 2004 at Vero. We had access to our points five months before the resort opened.

FWIW, our trip in August 2004 was on 'borrowed' points -- pulling Oct 2004 points into the 2003 UY. Our first set of points were issued on 10/1/2004.

I wonder if in that case, with the resort opening so soon, they figured there was no loss to you using the points elsewhere. It would then open up more availability at a new resort for those looking to try it at 7 months out. That could actually help DVC, as they already have you locked in as a buyer, but can also advertise to owners of other resorts. If I stay at Riviera using 7 month booking and love it, then I am more likely to add on direct there than I would be just reading about it.

To those that could go back in time and re-do their purchasing experience what would you change? What other advice do you have for rookies like myself and I?
If I could do it all again I would have my points be all at the same resort and all the same use year. We bought SSR and AKV sight unseen via resale with two different use years. It’s a royal pain trying to combine the points from both contracts. I always mess something up.

Turns out our favorite resort is BWV, but we have managed to stay at all the resorts except CCV. Our next stay is in January and we will be at BWV. If you are willing to do split stays, switching at the seventh month mark becomes even more feasible.

If I could do it all again I would have my points be all at the same resort and all the same use year. We bought SSR and AKV sight unseen via resale with two different use years. It’s a royal pain trying to combine the points from both contracts. I always mess something up.

Turns out our favorite resort is BWV, but we have managed to stay at all the resorts except CCV. Our next stay is in January and we will be at BWV. If you are willing to do split stays, switching at the seventh month mark becomes even more feasible.

This brings up a good question that I have and Im sure its been answered here numerous times. My wife and I hate split stays. Mainly because we do the dining plan and for some odd reason, a multi billion dollar resort company like Disney cant figure out to make a 7 day Dining plan for a 4night/2night split stay. It always screws up our credits and we end up having to pay out of pocket for some meals because the points wont carry over inside of one split stay.

Say we buy 100 SSR and later we pick up 80 points at OKW, Would we need to have the same use year in order to book and use all of our points at SSR? Or would we have to book using our 100SSR points at the 11 month mark, and then wait till 7 month mark to add on our SSR stay using our OKW points?

On the other hand if we had 100 SSR/Feb use year and then bought a seperate 80 point SSR contract Feb use year would all of those points be avaiable to book 1 room and use the entire 180 pts?

This brings up a good question that I have and Im sure its been answered here numerous times. My wife and I hate split stays. Mainly because we do the dining plan and for some odd reason, a multi billion dollar resort company like Disney cant figure out to make a 7 day Dining plan for a 4night/2night split stay. It always screws up our credits and we end up having to pay out of pocket for some meals because the points wont carry over inside of one split stay.

Say we buy 100 SSR and later we pick up 80 points at OKW, Would we need to have the same use year in order to book and use all of our points at SSR? Or would we have to book using our 100SSR points at the 11 month mark, and then wait till 7 month mark to add on our SSR stay using our OKW points?

On the other hand if we had 100 SSR/Feb use year and then bought a seperate 80 point SSR contract Feb use year would all of those points be avaiable to book 1 room and use the entire 180 pts?
So, you can only book points at the home resort at 11 months. Then add on nights with other resort at 7 months or combine both set of points at 7 months and book complete resie ( as long as same UY). Each UY is a membership so if you have two UY, you would have to transfer points from one to the other to combine for one seamless booking. We have two, but since we always have to borrow and you can't transfer borrowed or borrow transferred we always have to book two pieces and have MS link them. If same resort and room type, they link them and we don't have to check out and then back in ( we stay put). Kinda a complicated So i suggest folks buy same UY.

Yes and No?

We purchased SSR in early May 2004. The resort opened Oct of the same year ... but we took our first vacation on those points in August 2004 at Vero. We had access to o

There just has to be something to exchange them for. In a very general sense, if you use SSR points to book BWV, for instance, it's a 2 way exchange where you get to use that small % of BWV, and the BWV owners now get to use that % of SSR in return.

DVD owns some inventory (minimum 2% per unit by law) at each timeshare resort, so the "pre sale" points are probably exchanged for those units. Given the amount of points available, the number that are pre-sold is fairly small, so making those exchanges is probably not a big deal.

That’s not how it works. They can’t even have points in inventory ready to sell until the units are available for reservations.

What I have read is that they have to have construction to a certain point before they can file documents forming the association. Once that is done they can sell and have done so for previous resorts. Reservations have always opened later. For whatever reason they seemed to get behind the ball - most especially with PVB but the timeline was longer for resorts such as BLT and Kidani.

The points at new resorts are not available to be used until either the resorts opening date or the UY starts. For example - we bought AKV points after Jambo opened but before Kidani and they were Kidani points. I received 2008 points because of my UY but they couldn't be used anywhere until after the Kidani opening date in May 2009. After some discussion with MS I was able to book with them earlier than the Kidani reservations opened because I wasn't going to use them there although that threw them for a loop. But the use had to be after Kidani opened. In another case my UY started after the resort opened and I had to wait until the UY began to use the points. That was also when MF's were calculated from - the start of the UY even though the purchase was well before that. I was able to book earlier of course but the stay had to be after the start of the UY and the opening of the unit the points were from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter