DVC Community Board

On a scale of 1 to 5, how do you like the new DVC Community Board?

• 1 = I love it!

• 2 = It's okay.

• 3 = Neutral, neither good nor bad.

• 4 = Don't like it.

• 5 = Hate it!

• Too soon to tell.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could barely keep up with one board, now there is two. I liked the mix of "fluff" and the question and answer threads. It made for a fun and informative board in one. It is also one of the reasons I bought DVC. I think it might kill the original DVC board. Since I found out about the change I haven't been on much. It was just easier to pop in and check the one board every so often during the day. I also think there is potential for alot of moving of threads. Oh, well...
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree that it's a solution looking for a problem.

I had no problem with the other board. For activity and variety, it was just right. I wish they had polled up for our opinion and I don't like having to go to two boards.

I don't really care for it, and I think that it will probably kill the original DVC board. I also think that those that have DVC program questions will have to wait longer on answers since most of the regulars will be posting on this board. Don't get me wrong, I love the DIS boards and appreciate all those that take time to moderate and maintain this board. If there was some sort of problem with the board, I wish they would have let us know about it, and let us give some input, if possible. As it stands now, it's confusing, and I think going to be more work for those that moderate. JMHO

...more than likely contains information that others see as valuable!! Although I voted that I'll take a wait & see attitude, I'm beginning to wish they would have left it the way it was.

Too soon to tell. Let's give it a while and see. I do not see any particular advantage to having it.

I think I like having the 2 different boards. Under the old system, with all of the welcome homes, happy dances, and what not, things tended to slip from page one pretty fast. It was easy to miss the more informational posts if you didn't have time to check the boards more than a couple of times a week or read multiple pages at a whack. Give the new system a chance and see how it works out. After all, if we can work a tv clicker to watch more than one tv channel, working a mouse clicker to read another forum should be a snap!

And one question... should we treat this board as a true CB and therefore go off the DVC topic... to share with 'our dvc' community or just fluff about DVC?

Often times, there would be threads seeking advice on various topics, but directed towards DVC Members only. For example, one might want to discuss where DVC Members prefer to grocery shop, or question specifically of DVC Members what their feelings are on particular modes of transportation or park ticket options.

With our new DVC Community Board it is possible to keep these threads within the realms of those interested in DVC. As Webmaster Doc stated previously, those topics clearly suited to other boards will be relocated there as always. But we now have a venue to discuss certain topics with DVC Members in particular, and to share our excitement for upcoming trips and DVC Meets.

Often times threads span both fluff and information. Threads start on one topic and move in an unsuspected direction. Is the OP going to determine where a thread stays, or will the "overall tone" of the thread make the determination?

:confused3

Originally posted by lenshanem
I could barely keep up with one board, now there is two. I liked the mix of "fluff" and the question and answer threads. It made for a fun and informative board in one. It is also one of the reasons I bought DVC. I think it might kill the original DVC board. Since I found out about the change I haven't been on much. It was just easier to pop in and check the one board every so often during the day. I also think there is potential for alot of moving of threads. Oh, well...
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah. What Shan said. Two boards, not enough time: Bye, bye, (Original) Boardie.

Often times threads span both fluff and information. Threads start on one topic and move in an unsuspected direction. Is the OP going to determine where a thread stays, or will the "overall tone" of the thread make the determination?

As with all our DIScussion Boards, the Moderators will make the decisions on where threads should be moved to or where they should stay.

<font face="times" size="+0">I also don't see any advantage to this new board.

I think it's extremely difficult to make a very clear distinction of what should go here, and what should go on the original DVC board.

I didn't mind the "fluff" so much. It can be a little annoying sometimes, but IMO it's not enough to warrant a new board.

Some days the DVC board doesn't even see that much activity. Early on, I used to find myself checking back often and pushing refresh a few times, just waiting for someone to post something new. :p

Will this board be permanent? Or is this just a trial period? Will the powers-that-be take our comments/suggestions into account and revert back to the old single-DVC-board if that seems to be the consensus?</font>

Originally posted by CarolAnnC
Often times, there would be threads seeking advice on various topics, but directed towards DVC Members only. For example, one might want to discuss where DVC Members prefer to grocery shop, or question specifically of DVC Members what their feelings are on particular modes of transportation or park ticket options.

Yikes, I wouldn't have considered that fluff!

But we now have a venue to discuss certain topics with DVC Members in particular, and to share our excitement for upcoming trips and DVC Meets.

Now that I would have understood to put on the new DVC community board...

CarolAnnC, sounds like you'll be busy for awhile until we all understand the differences. Maybe Doc should do a more detailed description of where he wants everything to be?

Don't like it.

What made this board great IMO is how people contribute to helping others, members or not, to learn about all things DVC. This happens because the posts are integrated where it is easy to read and respond.

In my experience, once you separate the boards the Q&A board will shrivel up and die because eventually people will get bored with visiting it only to see if they can someone's question. It will become a board full of people asking questions, with few giving answers.

Totally agree OCDisney. I think this is the death of the original DVC board. Guess we'll wait and see...

Originally posted by OCDisney
Don't like it.

What made this board great IMO is how people contribute to helping others, members or not, to learn about all things DVC. This happens because the posts are integrated where it is easy to read and respond.

In my experience, once you separate the boards the Q&A board will shrivel up and die because eventually people will get bored with visiting it only to see if they can someone's question. It will become a board full of people asking questions, with few giving answers.

So true. The people who are just asking questions on the old board also miss out on the whole DVC "family" experience...the very thing that motivates them to learn about DVC and keeps them coming back for more.

It's really too bad.

This is a really, really stupid idea.

The DVC board was becoming over-managed to begin with. Threads were being locked. Innocent posts were being deleted for what the moderator interpreted as "off topic". (Even if they weren't.)

If we are a community, then a community discusses all kinds of things, both meaty and fluffy. Besides, that's why a forum is split into THREADS! If something doesn't appeal to you, then by all means don't click on it! There's no point in two separate forums when we already have hundreds of separate threads.

I don't really see a problem with having two boards - I like the idea. The UK boards are another little group which include a community board and trip planning board, where most people hop between the two quite happily - though I'm happy to admit that it's a slower moving board altogether!

I actually think it will be a way to make the whole DVC thing seem even more friendly, if we have a community board where the posts can get really good and fluffy without the chance of them being moved or even closed down for going off topic!!

Some of the useful information had become buried under all the Welcome Homes, Roll Calls etc, and if Search was down it made things even more difficult. Now people can use the original board for their DVC fact finding missions, and if the new people that use it like all the friendly people that have helped them - which of course they will ;) - they can come and enjoy all the fluffier DVC stuff here on the Community board.

Don't see it as the death of the old DVC board, enjoy the birth of a new one - the family is just getting bigger!

Either way.

I can see the benefits of both. Or the problems.

My only preference is to get rid of obnoxious political signatures. I hope they're banned from the DIS after today.

Originally posted by Bexx
I don't really see a problem with having two boards - I like the idea. The UK boards are another little group which include a community board and trip planning board, where most people hop between the two quite happily - though I'm happy to admit that it's a slower moving board altogether!

Why hop when you can have everything in one place quite easily? It's not as if there was a huge amount of posts to go through each day.

There have only been *two* new posts so far today (11/2) on the old DVC board. Most people won't even look for the new one (how many rent/trade posts did we see on the old board before they got moved?).

Originally posted by Bexx
I actually think it will be a way to make the whole DVC thing seem even more friendly, if we have a community board where the posts can get really good and fluffy without the chance of them being moved or even closed down for going off topic!!

I tend to think these types threads will still get closed/moved. Over-managed is a good term that's been used above.

Originally posted by OneMoreTry
My only preference is to get rid of obnoxious political signatures. I hope they're banned from the DIS after today.
I'll second that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter