DVC “Confessions”

(sorta) DVC Confession:

My newest DVC/DIS confession is that I laugh every time I see the pro vs. con DVC contract "inheritance" debate. There is no right answer. Do whatcha wanna do.

I have always wondered, for those of you in the anti-inheritance crowd, when do you offload your contracts before you die to protect your heirs from the dreaded DVC inheritance? Don't you have to know when that may happen so you can unload DVC from your portfolio? I could fall over dead tomorrow (for the record, I hope I don't), and then my kids would suddenly own over 500 DVC points. I hope they'd be more upset over their beloved DVC-loving dad croaking than the inconvenience of getting $60K worth of DVC.

There are "problems," and then there are problems.......
Also a timeshare with a guaranteed end date is a whole lot better than a perpetuity. Granted I don't view it as an "asset" (though it may legally be considered one) but an expense. I also am at the age with the Riviera where I hope to outlive the contract and am not worried about passing it along to an heir. If I die prematurely then a DVC contract is probably the least complicated thing that will be managed on my underage heir's behalf.

Granted I don't view it as an "asset" (though it may legally be considered one) but an expense.

An asset is a present right of an entity to an economic benefit. Your contract is an asset - you (the entity) have a deed (a present right) that gives you a legally-enforceable right to use the points in the contract (the economic benefit).

With that said, DVC contracts are bad investments - like a car. Almost always, the upfront cost plus the ongoing cost of ownership is going to exceed the return. Could you rent your points to reduce some of that loss? Yes. You can also use your car to run ride-share trips to avert some of the cost of owning that car. But, in either case, you're probably not doing it religiously enough, and with enough discipline, to actually see a positive ROI in the long term. I think that's probably why you don't see it as an asset - it's smart of you.

Nevertheless, both a car and a DVC contract are, in fact, assets.

1. Dont like the monorail resorts feel to crowded.
2. Agree with other BWV and BCV dont appeal to me also the whole Epcot resort area is just missing something specially during the day time.

3. HH while the resort was nice the points spent there and not being right on the beach bothered me. When I went to the beach club all I could think of was them tearing it down and building ocean front resort there would be much better. Didnt care for the Shelter Cove didnt really give me family vibes.

...because they try to cram too many entire countries and their existing cultures in a blender that spits out Riviera?
“Polynesians, including Samoans, Tongans, Niueans, Cook Islands Māori, Tahitian Mā'ohi, Hawaiian Māoli, Marquesans, and New Zealand Māori, are a subset of the Austronesian peoples.” So Poly does the same thing for 1,000 islands.

Not to mention AKL apparently encompasses an entire continent … but sure.

1. I love OKW; all contracts direct and resale are there - The last few visits, I've felt embarrassed by the condition of the 2 bed villas.

2. My financial position changed and I am still pretending that my points are affordable.

3. I booked 2 nights (because that's all there is available) late last night so a friend and I can drive over and stay. She loves WDW.

4. I will never stay in a studio again - last time was in the 90s.

5. I have foolishly stayed in a 2 bed alone for 2 weeks rather than make the responsible decision to cancel.

6. I love the, "welcome home"

7. I take the soaps. I travel for work frequently and now most hotels have the bolted bottle soap. Cannot shave my legs without the bar soap.

“Polynesians, including Samoans, Tongans, Niueans, Cook Islands Māori, Tahitian Mā'ohi, Hawaiian Māoli, Marquesans, and New Zealand Māori, are a subset of the Austronesian peoples.” So Poly does the same thing for 1,000 islands.

Not to mention AKL apparently encompasses an entire continent … but sure.
Standing by my opinion. Yes, Riviera is too many diverse cultures crammed together. My favorite is OKW (Key West - simple - works for me). Boardwalk makes sense. Beach Club makes sense. Poly makes sense. Heck, Port Orleans and Dixie landings made sense. Don't like anything at RIV - after the tour and after a few casual visits for food. Animal Kingdom is really about animals.

Last confession - I have not and would never pay the $$$$ to stay on property. If DVC disappeared tomorrow, I'd stay in a hotel and rideshare over to the parks. The resort rates are exorbitant and do not add any serious value.

That's not my issue with Riviera. I just think the hotel has bland, uninteresting theming. I feel like Disney could've done better than what we ended up with.
Yup. Love the resort itself for its rooms, layout, and location. But the theming, OMG. Literally nothing about it is reflective of the French or Italian side of the Riviera. Unless they specifically themed it after the Marriott over there, in which case they nailed it.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest