Dog fencing for campsite

Minnie&Mickey

I want to live at the Fort!
We are looking for some type of fencing to put out that can surround the area under our awning so that our dog can be outside with us without a leash. Can anyone recommend a website that sells these at a decent price? We've looked at PetSmart, but the fences seem to be too small.

I know you said you don't want to use a leash, but how about just putting your dog on a chain? We use one for our dog and he does great. It is one of those ones you stake into the ground and it has a 10' chain. He loves to lay under the camper when it is hot outside, so we put it close to our door. It also keeps him safe from the road.

I have seen all kind of setups. Most have a couple of light metal fence posts driven into the grassy area just off the pad area and some sort of posts screwed onto a 2' X 2' piece of plywood on the cement pad with some sort of weight (sand bag) to hold in place and some light wire fencing. (Think garden fencing wire) Don't forget to fence off the underside of the camper

I have an electronic pet fence. I just stretch the wire around the area I want her to stay inside of. I tie the invisible fence wire to my rope lights that go around my site this give her a visual boundary that she wont cross.

I also have the twist spike and cable set up.

Not to be a stickler, but I think WDW wants you to have your pets on a leash attended to (i.e. held in positive control of you) anytime they are outside and not on unattended ropes/chains or running loose in some sort of enclosure especially anywhere near the roads or walkways where they can see and respond to what they see.

This prevents us who have our pets on a leash in a controlled environment from fighting them when they respond to a pet which at first look is running loose and straight at us at full speed and they respond and what get's me is the owners of these just smile and have no idea of the issue. My wife has often gone ballistic and quickly tried to pick up the dog she has since she thinks the dog coming full speed at us is actually or might be loose only to find it gets jerked back like 2' from the edge of the loop road and that is where our dogs usually walk.

Enjoy your pets, but please follow the rules that Disney has as lacking as they might be. I now enjoy not to having to pay more than $500 to board my pet off site for a month (now probably would be more than $1000 for two dogs) and then also having to take a morning every 3 or 4 days to go visit them and give them a proper grooming.

Finally if you have pets please don't leave them unattended where they are not confined and can like see outside and respond to what they see. One year where our howling beagle in the site directly across from us would set on the MH front dash with the window open and continuously howl when we were taking the day off to try and enjoy just being around the campsite everytime they saw something.

Larry

I have seen all kind of setups. Most have a couple of light metal fence posts driven into the grassy area just off the pad area and some sort of posts screwed onto a 2' X 2' piece of plywood on the cement pad with some sort of weight (sand bag) to hold in place and some light wire fencing. (Think garden fencing wire) Don't forget to fence off the underside of the camper

I have an electronic pet fence. I just stretch the wire around the area I want her to stay inside of. I tie the invisible fence wire to my rope lights that go around my site this give her a visual boundary that she wont cross.

I also have the twist spike and cable set up.

I'm sorry and you will be offended, but I hope I never camp close to you at WDW if you allow your pet to roam around your site even with an invisible fence which no one passing by know is there but you and sees your pet running uncontrolled and unleashed toward that invisible boundary and towards someone that has positive control of their pet and are simply trying to enjoy a walk which your pet has now ruined. Think about it ...you know what will happen but the other person only sees a loose pet running at them.

I have also already covered the I also have the twist spike and cable set up which IMHO has no place at WDW.

Larry

Didn't mean to make anyone angry with my post, it's just that we just got back from FW on Sunday and while we were down there, we saw many campsites with special dog fencing (fairly heavy-weight, not chicken wire) set up on the patio area. As of right now, our dog (all 15 pounds of fluff) has never been at our campsite without being on a leash and has never been left outside without out us. Call me paranoid, but I'm scared to lose him.

To clarify when I was talking about using a chain, I meant only when we are outside with our dog. And for some reason, I wasn't thinking about camping at WDW. I was thinking about camping somewhere with a large site like a state park.

This post makes me want a dog. If I could train a dog to fence I wouldn't have to work anymore. And when the dog isn't fencing I'd let him go to the dog run at the fort. Amen

I'm sorry and you will be offended, but I hope I never camp close to you at WDW if you allow your pet to roam around your site even with an invisible fence which no one passing by know is there but you and sees your pet running uncontrolled and unleashed toward that invisible boundary and towards someone that has positive control of their pet and are simply trying to enjoy a walk which your pet has now ruined. Think about it ...you know what will happen but the other person only sees a loose pet running at them.

I have also already covered the I also have the twist spike and cable set up which IMHO has no place at WDW.

Larry

My dog is trained better than most. She is better than most of the kids we see. She doesn't bark unless there is a knock at the door than it's just 1 bark, She doesn't run at people or get excited by any passing dog. The invisible fence wire is mainly used at our home campsite (which I own) Sometimes I do take it with me to other campsites but it is used as a safety boundary if she gets let out accidentally by someone else (our 4 and 6 year old nieces sometimes forget to close the door). As far as the twist spike and cable when she is on it she is supervised by us sitting on the patio mat with her. She wouldn't leave the mat if I tell here to stay on the mat for any reason. The cable is for the piece of mind of other guests. No one has ever had a complaint about any of my dogs anywhere we have stayed. Most people that see her say that they wish their dogs or kids listened as well as she does.

LarryJ--here is the question that was asked:

We are looking for some type of fencing to put out that can surround the area under our awning so that our dog can be outside with us without a leash. The key words are " under the awning" and "outside with us"

Holly,
I just purchased a portable dog pen off of eBay. I just wanted to have something that when I'm outside my camper I could put her in and let her off her leash. It seem like the only time she is off her leash is when we are in the dog play area or in the camper. I thought it was very reasonable and I'm happy with the pen for what I want to use it for. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/For-Your-Pet__W0QQ_armrsZ1

We have 3 sets of 24inch tall fencing that we bought at Petsmart. We hook the three together with latches that come with the fence. We use this with our Yorkies, but our lab mix also stayed in this fence. Its nice to be able to sit outside with the dogs and their leashes aren't wrapped around everything in sight. The sections fold flat and fit in the storage bins on our RV (and ours aren't that big). This fencing comes in different heights, but the 24 in. works well for us. One thing we have noticed at some of the campgrounds we've stayed at: the management doesn't seem to mind the gold colored metal play yards, but they don't like the white plastic ones. We met these people who were temporarily staying in their very expensive motorhome (new Prevost) while they were building a new house. They bought enough of the white plastic play yard fencing to enclose the whole side of their motorhome. The management made them take it down, but they never said a word to us about our fencing. I think the gold colored metal fencing is less noticeable. I hope this helps.

Holly,
I just purchased a portable dog pen off of eBay. I just wanted to have something that when I'm outside my camper I could put her in and let her off her leash. It seem like the only time she is off her leash is when we are in the dog play area or in the camper. I thought it was very reasonable and I'm happy with the pen for what I want to use it for. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/For-Your-Pet__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Cindy, do you know if you can undo the sides and attach more than one to make it a little bigger? I think this is what we are looking for if we could make it bigger. Jazz is a little dog, but he is used to having lots of space at home! Thanks for the info!

The sections fold flat and fit in the storage bins on our RV (and ours aren't that big). This fencing comes in different heights, but the 24 in. works well for us. One thing we have noticed at some of the campgrounds we've stayed at: the management doesn't seem to mind the gold colored metal play yards, but they don't like the white plastic ones. We met these people who were temporarily staying in their very expensive motorhome (new Prevost) while they were building a new house. They bought enough of the white plastic play yard fencing to enclose the whole side of their motorhome. The management made them take it down, but they never said a word to us about our fencing. I think the gold colored metal fencing is less noticeable. I hope this helps.

I'll have to see if our PetSmart has that one. The one we looked at our local store was plastic. We are going back down to FW in a few months and I would love to be able to come up with a better setup for him than what we've been doing. Thanks for the info.

This post makes me want a dog. If I could train a dog to fence I wouldn't have to work anymore. And when the dog isn't fencing I'd let him go to the dog run at the fort. Amen

LOL! If anyone can teach a dog to fence it would be you, Donnie!

By the way, I love the dog park at FW! We took Jazz there a few times last week. If it hadn't been so hot, I think he would have had a blast, but he is an extremely furry, little black dog and I think the heat was too much for him. I'm sure he will get a lot of use out of it in October!

I'll have to see if our PetSmart has that one. The one we looked at our local store was plastic. We are going back down to FW in a few months and I would love to be able to come up with a better setup for him than what we've been doing. Thanks for the info.

I picked up our third section of fencing at Petco in June. Right now, they seem to have a better selection than our Petsmart.

Camping World has 8 ft sections of fence (30 inches high) on sale for $45.00 a section until Aug 18th. I have a raincheck for 4 sections. The employee told us they have a hard time keeping them in stock. It seems they are very popular. I keep my boxer (she doesn't like fencing, prefers boxing) in a fence, hook her to the twisty tie thingy on her long leash or (wait for it) I even let her run loose in my screened in room! :scared1: I don't care if people want to camp beside me or not. If you don't like my dog move on to another site, just gives me a better view.

That's a good price on the Camping World one. I think we might have to drive up to one and check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter