Disneyworld V Disneyland

Oh I also forgot that I was very annoyed that DL only had CA resident APs for certain zip codes in Southern California - not the whole state like they do in Florida.

I probably would have gone more (it was my first love afterall), but I had an AP for WDW so I just went there instead.

My daughter now attends college in the LA area. Last year we got Ca resident annual passes to DL. They did not care that were not really Ca residents. The CM stated that if we were willing to put up with the date restrictions (no weekends, no holidays, no summer), we could buy it. I got 3 trips on that annual pass plus a discount staying at the Grand Californian that more than covered the cost of the annual pass.

Now to my opinions....
I was surprised at how small & compact DL is. You could never hold all the folks at the MK in DL. Previous posters were correct about Pirates being better at DL. I also prefer the Haunted Mansion in DL (general ambiance.. I think the ride is close to identical). And I would be thrilled if Indiana Jones would come to WDW. My husband & I now get the parks mixed up in our heads. ("Isn't there a pizza place near .....?" "no dear, that's in WDW." "What do you mean, no Mr Toad?") Since space is at a premium, there are not all the food options at DL.

The one thing that struck us the most is the difference in CM's. DL CM's are not anywhere near the level as WDW CM's. I doubt if the pay is much different, but DL seems to have the "it's just a job" attitude, while WDW CM's have a "I work someplace special!" attitude. This may be due to the College program and the large number of seasonal employees at WDW. If it is a special job for 3 months and then you are going back to college, then it's natural to radiate enjoyment in your job. There just seems to be a spark missing in DL CM's. We never encountered any rudeness, but the smiles and joy just wasn't there.

Disneyland is a worthwhile place to visit. Everyone should make the pilgrimage to where it all began...... but it just isn't WDW and if you expect it to be you will be disappointed.

I agree with most of the previous posts. I don't think you can compare the two parks, they are just different. I enjoyed DL, and "Walking in Walt's footsteps". I also loved some of the rides/shows including Alice in Wonderland, Soaring over California, Aladdin stage show and Indiana Jones. It was nice to run out to the car for a sweatshirt and be back in 10 minutes. It was nice to walk from one park to the other, plus downtown Disney.

However, that being said, I LOVE WDW. I love being immersed in the Magic at WDW. There is so much to see and do that every trip is different. You can also relax much easier at WDW. It is so nice not to have to worry about the I-5 traffic jams or see all the tacky hotels and convention centers like at DL.

Finally, I agree completely about the CM's. That was the main thing I noticed out there. Every thing was "have a nice day" at DL, not "have a nice vacation" like at WDW. The workers weren't rude or unpleasant, but it seemed like it was just a job to them. At WDW, a majority of the CM's seem to take great pride in what they are doing, it is not just a job to them. I am usually pretty oblivious to things like this, but it really stood out at DL.

I say every WDW fan should experience DL at least once. I had a great time and really enjoyed the trip, but WDW is still the place for me.

I like Disneyland better than Magic Kingdom, but it is hard to compare considering WDW has so much more. I am pretty nostalgic about DL, but last time we were there they were building CA, and the whole feel of excitement I would get walking into the park from the parking lot was gone, it is just so different now. My DS (12) has no interest in DL, his favorite things to do at WDW are Blizzard Beach and Disneyquest.

You could never hold all the folks at the MK in DL.

Disneyland attendance is generally below Magic Kingdom by about 1 million (not that much). And although it's smaller in size I think it packs a bigger punch (DL has 49 attractions - MK has 40).

Originally posted by marmar
You could never hold all the folks at the MK in DL.

Disneyland attendance is generally below Magic Kingdom by about 1 million (not that much). And although it's smaller in size I think it packs a bigger punch (DL has 49 attractions - MK has 40).

I hope that everyone who loves Disney gets to do both. You won't be sorry.:earsboy:

Disney Land- A family theme park
Walt Disney World- A family magical experience

WDW is the ultimate. You will never go to a better place. Go to the WORLD!::MickeyMo

I don't think they can be compared... now, you might be able to compare Magic Kingdom to Disney Land, but not the World to the Land.

I love both parks =) And California Adventure is very cool, too =)

Originally posted by MouseClubMom
Walt Disney World is so much bigger but Disneyland is wonderful too! There are some rides at DL that are not at WDW such as Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin, Indiana Jones, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and of course the entire California Adventure park.

Both are great but WDW will definitely take you much longer to "see everything" than the CA Parks.

I worked at WDW for 7+ years but always loved DL because it was the original - where Walt himself walked the streets! :D

I say visit ALL of them! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

MCMom

What she said! All of it!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter