Disneyworld V Disneyland

I live on the West Coast and fly to Disneyland when I need a fix, but WDW has so much more to offer - MK, Epcot, MGM, AKL, and many more resorts to choose from. Disneyland is a classic, and California Adventure is fun every once in awhile, but honestly I can get it all done in 2 and a half days - a great long weekend trip. I never finish Disney World - always something to come back for

I've been to both in the last several years. I prefer WDW. It just feels like more of an overall resort experience to me. There are more hotels and they feel more like a vacation then the ones at DL. I also like the park choices better.

That being said, my husband prefers DL. He grew up in California and waxes nostalgic about it. He likes the Main Street better, it is smaller and seems more manageable. However, it also felt more crowded as there is less room to put people.

If you go to WDW for the resort experience, you might not like DL as much. If not, you might enjoy going there for a change and decide for yourself.

California - Has a Land

Florida - Has a World

There is so much more to do and see at WDW.

Walt Disney World is so much bigger but Disneyland is wonderful too! There are some rides at DL that are not at WDW such as Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio's Daring Journey, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin, Indiana Jones, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and of course the entire California Adventure park.

Both are great but WDW will definitely take you much longer to "see everything" than the CA Parks.

I worked at WDW for 7+ years but always loved DL because it was the original - where Walt himself walked the streets! :D

I say visit ALL of them! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

MCMom

I haven't been to either in years, but from what I remember Disney World has a lot more attractions than Disney Land.

Beyond the differences in attractions, WDW has a much different feel to it, I think because its more of a vacation destination than DLR. You see it in the CMs.

But you can't match the history of DLR, and every WDW fan must make the pilgrimage. :)

The one time I went to Disneyland, I was sorta lost outside the park and I asked a CM how to get to the "Magic Kingdom" (the words I used) and she said "About 2000 miles thataway" with a smirk. I thought that was kinda rude. Sor-ry if I didn't realize that they don't call the park Magic Kingdom in CA. So I also like WDW better because I've never met a rude CM there yet....

Pirates of the Carribbean is better at DL, Indiana Jones is at DL as well. I have family in California, and I grew up visiting DL almost every summer, but WDW has so much more to offer. My ideal situation would be to visit DL for a long weekend, and WDW for at least a week, each year :)

darrren pirate:

We love WDW without question. I grew up in Orange County CA and spent many a nights and days at DL, including Grad night. It is a great place and what they have done with it in the last few years has made it much better (cleaner, more WDW "looking" with DTD and such) BUT WDW is just like leaving reality to us. We always stay on property and really feel like we are immeresed in the magic. All of my family is still in Southern CA and we could stay with them for free and visit Dl and CAdv for a week straight if we wanted to (we usually go once a year or so for two days), but we still try to go to WDW every year, or every other year. The parks, the property, the resorts-you just can't beat it. No matter how hard DL tries, it will never be as magical to us as WDW is because it will always be in the middle of Anaheim! We stayed at one of the onsite hotels on our last trip (Paradise Pier concierge)and although it was nice, we still had to walk across a busy intersection to get to the resort guests private entrance to CAdv. It just isn't the same!:rolleyes:

I prefer DL because it seems prettier somehow. I think the plants and trees are more grown in and it feels better themed. The weather always seems a touch nicer than Florida too.

Let's see 47 square miles vs. less than 1 square mile. It's like comparing apples and oranges, or in this case watermelon and kiwi.

DLR is nice and compact and you never have to get on a bus or boat to get back to your resort. Makes for a fun whisicle long weekend.

WDW is a wonderful escape from reality. Makes for a great resort vacation.

I say visit them all!

For me, it's Disneyland. However, I pretty much grew up at Disneyland so my opinion is a little biased. :D

Pirates of the Carribbean is better at DL

IA.

I say Disneyland for a short trip(2-4 days), WDW for an extended trip(5 or more days). DW & I love both!

Please pardon me... I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but I really do hate hearing people ask "Which is better, Disneyworld or Disneyland?"

Sometimes I will answer that the parks are similar but cannot be compared, but usually I will just ignore people that ask that question.

I grew up in the fifties with "Uncle Walt" every Wednesday night, and I saw his pride and excitement when he talked about the first theme park, where families could share fun and adventure together. As a child, it was my greatest dream to go to Disneyland. Those dreams were shattered and forgotten when tragedy struck our family.

My wife and I visited WDW shortly after it opened and I was in awe of what I found. So was she. From that point, we seldom went a year when we did not visit "Disney" in Florida.

Some years later, we had the opportunity to visit Disneyland. As I rounded Town Square that first time, and looked down Main Street at the "little" Castle, I suddenly realized "I was home". The place that for so many years of my young life, I wanted to be... The dreams of a child had come true.

Disneyland was the first, the dream, the reality come true of Walt Disney. He enjoyed walking through the parks and watching the guests, young and old sharing a unique experience, many times as a family. There is something neat about dreams coming true.

But being the first, there were things that could have been done better. When Disney World was imagined, the first goal was to have more land. Walt was always saddened by the "honky tonk" motels and shops that grew up around the Anaheim park.

Here in the new park, he would have that freedom to create a destination. Disney World would be the second theme park, but with size and improvements that would be a little closer to perfection.

Unfortunately, Walt died before he could walk through the park in Florida. Before he could see the families enjoying Disney magic together, and before he could see his final dream realized. But in his death, the people who were close to him resolved that his last dream would come true.

When you understand the relationship and evolution of the two parks, you don't compare them, you simply enjoy them both for what they are.

I love the size and diversity of Walt Disney World, but I feel the charm and "magic" is much stronger at Disneyland. I have spent many of the happiest moments of my life, sharing the excitement and adventure of Disney parks, together with my family. And that is a dream come true...

Don't ask me which of my children I love more, and don't ask me "which is better, Disneyworld or Disneyland"?

Originally posted by travellady
I never finish Disney World - always something to come back for

I think that sums it up perfectly. I lived in CA until two years ago (SF end of the state) and still preferred to travel to WDW. A couple of times I had a meeting at one of the DL hotels but didn't go to the parks. That never happened when I was in Orlando on business.

I like DL, but I LOVE WDW.

... you hit the proverbial nail on the head with your post. I live near Disneyland and my wife and I have been Premium Annual Passport holders for years now. Our daughter has grown up in both Disneyland and DCA, she has been going since she was 2 weeks old and loves it. We watched as DCA was slowly built from a former parking lot.

I have so many wonderful memories of family trips to Disneyland. To walk the same streets as Walt is something to be experienced.

But with that said I enjoy the total immersion of Disney World. They are apples and oranges you simply can't compare them beyond size. Each holds it's own special magic.

Rudy
AKA Piglets dad

When you understand the relationship and evolution of the two parks, you don't compare them, you simply enjoy them both for what they are.
I love the size and diversity of Walt Disney World, but I feel the charm and "magic" is much stronger at Disneyland.

::yes:: Well said!

:earsgirl: :earsboy: princess:

Being a Northern California girl all my life I have been to Disneyland too many times to count. I agreed with so many previous posts, about being where Walt walked and stuff, but Hands down, we all must admit, that It's a Small World at DL can't even compare to WDW. The first time I saw it at WDW, I said, where is it??? AFter seeing the big spread out Small world, and if you have ever seen it at Christmas,with it all lite up, oh my goodness it is wonderful. It is the BEST there is. Indiana JOnes is great too, and now, Soaring over California, has got to be one of the VERY BEST RIDES they have. If you haven't done it, you must. But...... I can't do Disneyland for more than 3 days, there just isn't enough, whereas WDW, I can spend an entire week and not see it all. I think they both are wonderful, I have 0nly been to WDW 3 times ,but I am coming again in 2 weeks and I can hardly wait. They are both wonderful:bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter