Disneyland with an ECV?

stindall

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! We're going to Disneyland for my 30th birthday in March and bringing along my brother, mom, and her husband. My mom's husband doesn't walk very well due to a few different injuries to his leg. My mom was tossing around getting an ECV for him so he has an easier time so I'm wondering what it's like to have one in the parks. We wanted to do the fantasmic Blue Bayou package but I know that seating is on the ground, will he be able to stay in his ECV for that? Getting down and back up from the ground would probably be pretty difficult.

They have a special area where he will be able to watch from the ECV. You still need to get fastpasses and then that evening take your fastpasses to the cast member and explain and they will give instructions on where to go.

We recently spent 5 days in DLR. My husband used an ECV, a larger one because he is tall, for all 5 days and had no trouble at all. He was able to do everything he wanted to do and was never inconvenienced. DLR is very good at accommodating folks who use wheelchairs and ECVs.

We recently spent 5 days in DLR. My husband used an ECV, a larger one because he is tall, for all 5 days and had no trouble at all. He was able to do everything he wanted to do and was never inconvenienced. DLR is very good at accommodating folks who use wheelchairs and ECVs.

What about rides? Will he/we need to go to the exit or use the fastpass line? How will that work?

What about rides? Will he/we need to go to the exit or use the fastpass line? How will that work?
Attractions at DCA can accommodate ECVs and wheelchairs in the line, most with alternate loading.
DL will issue return times, since the lines are not wide enough.

Deckarts (or other off-site rental) is much better than the Disney ECVs. ECV is smaller (and faster), and can be taken back to your hotel.

When I was pregnant and got the F! River Belle Dining Package, I rented a EVC for the day. When it came time to be seated for the show, they had me stay in the River Belle assigned area, but told me to park towards the back of the roped off area. The CM said she liked to watch F! more towards the back because you get to see everything better and the boats and fireworks are not right in your face. In this area everyone had to stay seated on the ground during the show, which was great because I was able to see everything even though I was sitting in the EVC. My family actually got to sit or stand next to me, it was ok if they stood because we were in the back.

Since guests have to sit on the ground in the Blue Bayou area, you might have a similar experience as mine.

HTH,
Kriss :tink:

Does anyone have more current experience with an ECV at F!? Going in 2 months and will have an ECV for my bad knee. Thanks!

I rent a ECV from Deckerts each time i go. I did the riverbelle terrace F package last summer and did the FP this summer both in July. I have to say the reserved seating for just handicapped is better than Riverbelle terrace seating. Yes you sit in the back you can take your whole family with you and they sit in front of you on the floor while you sit on the scooter. Great seating btw. I personally will stick with FP going forward. Also if you rent a scooter from DL your not allowed to take it with you out to DTD or anywhere but in the park. Deckerts delivers and picks up from your hotel. They are very reliable and their scooters are insured! I had mine get swapped for someone else's one time and they didn't charge me anything and brought me a new one. Their number is (714) 542-5607.

Thank you! I already have mine rented from a similar place (A Scooter 4 U, which I've used quite a few times in the past). Do you know how many family members they allow with the person on the scooter? And are you in front of all the standing people? We are a party of 6, 4 adults and 2 teens. Thanks again!!

Thank you! I already have mine rented from a similar place (A Scooter 4 U, which I've used quite a few times in the past). Do you know how many family members they allow with the person on the scooter? And are you in front of all the standing people? We are a party of 6, 4 adults and 2 teens. Thanks again!!
There are no standing people. Everyone is required to sit down on the ground during the show. Scooters are behind all the sittinf people. Its a really good view I can assure you.

Hi guys! We're going to Disneyland for my 30th birthday in March and bringing along my brother, mom, and her husband. My mom's husband doesn't walk very well due to a few different injuries to his leg. My mom was tossing around getting an ECV for him so he has an easier time so I'm wondering what it's like to have one in the parks. We wanted to do the fantasmic Blue Bayou package but I know that seating is on the ground, will he be able to stay in his ECV for that? Getting down and back up from the ground would probably be pretty difficult.
He will be allowed to remain in his ECV along the back rope. Everyone sits in this area, and everyone will see fine.

In DCA, he will use the regular line, and when he gets to the front, they will have him use an alternative load area if needed. Be aware, rides like the Incrediacoaster have short load times, so he will need to be able to enter and exit the vehicle quickly, or it will cascade the ride. Also, should the ride E-stop, and he can't do the stairs required to escape, he will need to wait while they fix it, or bring in the fire ladder truck to basket him out.

In DL, many rides are handicap friendly. But most, you will go to the exit and receive a return time to ride. He will need everyone's tickets to add the ride to the ticket. Again, be aware some rides need quick loads and unloads, while others (like Space Mountain) have a special vehicle to load so he can take his time.

Also, MaxPass will be your friend.

I just did an ECV in mid-August. I was really nervous about it because I'd never rented one before, but it was great! Everyone was so accommodating and I didn't have a single problem. Well, other than a teenage boy who for some reason know only to him, decided to walk BACKWARDS on the walkway in Adventureland and ran into me! :rolleyes1

The rides kind of vary but it's very easy to deal with. Many of the rides have separate handicapped entrances that are clearly marked. You just approach the CM there and they will explain what to do. If they're not marked, you just go to the CM and ask. Most of the DCA rides you can just take the ECV through the line. But many of the DL ones are at the ride exits. IMO the one that was the most difficult to deal with was Splash. The handicapped entrance is clearly marked and is near the exit, but to use it you have to go in the Splash exit, which often is filled with people going pretty fast around corners trying to get back in line and it's hard to see around those corners. Then once you get to the room where the ride photos are, that's really crowded and can be difficult to maneuver. But keep going and you'll eventually get to where the ride lets off. You park the ECV there and board from the exit side. I'd recommend if you do Splash, have the people who are not in an ECV go first to clear a path around those corners. Although I did it once by myself and it was fine.

Keep in mind that you won't be able to get directly on rides such as Splash with an ECV unless you have a fastpass and your time has come. Otherwise, they'll tell you a time to return that matches up with the current wait time.

The view for F! is great from an ECV. The person in the ECV will be sitting up higher than everyone else because everyone in that section is required to sit. You can definitely take 6 family members. They will be able to sit in the same area. You do need to get to the FP return area about an hour before F! starts, where they'll direct you to a special handicapped waiting area. I'd recommend being towards the front of that area if you can because the people who go in first will have a more centered view. The ones who go in last will be towards the right, more in front of River Belle Terrace.

DO get a 3 wheel ECV if at all possible. They are smaller and much easier to maneuver than the 4 wheel ones. One CM told me they're always glad when a 3 wheel comes through the line because they're so much easier to deal with. I rented mine from Deckert and it was great.

For those of you that rent an offsite ecv how do you get it to and from the parks?

For those of you that rent an offsite ecv how do you get it to and from the parks?
Do you mean how do you get it back and forth each day? If so, I drive it. I guess that only works if you are within reasonable walking distance. You can also get one that can come apart and go more easily into a vehicle.

If you are asking how does it get to you to rent it, most of the rental places deliver them to the hotel for you.

Thanks for all the information in this thread, wondering some of the same things! How about fireworks? Any advice on seating for fireworks with an ECV?

Thanks for all the information in this thread, wondering some of the same things! How about fireworks? Any advice on seating for fireworks with an ECV?
There is no designated seating for fireworks. Try to be at the front of a crowd for best view. They rope off walk areas, and if you are at the rope, no one will be standing in front of you.

Do you mean how do you get it back and forth each day? If so, I drive it. I guess that only works if you are within reasonable walking distance. You can also get one that can come apart and go more easily into a vehicle.

If you are asking how does it get to you to rent it, most of the rental places deliver them to the hotel for you.

I meant how do you get it in and out of a vehicle. We're staying in an airbnb about 15 minutes away so driving it back isn't really feasible lol

I meant how do you get it in and out of a vehicle. We're staying in an airbnb about 15 minutes away so driving it back isn't really feasible lol
Many of them fold down or come apart, but you would want to get specifics from wherever you are renting it from, and then make sure you have a vehicle that will handle easy loading and un loading.

Many of them fold down or come apart, but you would want to get specifics from wherever you are renting it from, and then make sure you have a vehicle that will handle easy loading and un loading.

Gotcha thank you, we're trying to sort out rental cars or ubers etc etc. We live in Sacramento but my mom lives in Michigan (and brother in Tennessee) so we might have a few different ones going on. I'll look into specific companies a bit for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!