Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Just to clarify. 10% hospitalization rate and and overall 1-2% mortality rate. The surge did pack in the hospitals in the greater LA area and OC peaked at over 500 ICU for weeks at a time.

We are currently not even close to where we were in end October skirting the red orange level.

I would be happy to have a precipitous drop and they modify the time in tier qualifications and lagging 7day data if the lat valley happens quickly.

The state moved folk on tiers faster before. San francisco did that . So it's not inflexible as people make it. Vaccine absolutely making a difference. In our hospital the rare dropped under 1% already with a vaccinated staff of about 80%

Playing devil's advocate....how does the vaccine invalidate the tier system on prevalence of the virus at the local county level?
I guess the question to your question is are we trying to stop the virus or trying to stop people dying from the virus?

If the goal is to stop deaths from the virus, then vaccinating the most vulnerable (as we have done) moves the needle with a lot of leverage and has to factor.While the overall vaccination number is still lower than I think most people want, it’s available to those most affected. (The elderly) Once that population gets it the entire way we approach this virus has to change.

If the objective is to “stop” the virus, the god help us and our children’s generation that has to pay for it.

To loop this all back to the tiers system (and ultimately the parks opening) if you jab the demographics that carry the most risk you are left with a virus that carries a very low mortality rate among the rest of the population. As such, the systems in place to slow the spread would need to be reassessed because the risk factors have changed.

Please don’t take this as me underplaying the virus, or suggesting we go back to 2019 lifestyles tomorrow, just that we can’t use old systems when we have a paradigm shift in the fight.

Answer is both. Slow the spread so it doesn't get into households that affect the vulnerable. Gathering socially....which is what we do as humans wanting that interaction....lends to transmission and ultimately to the vulnerable.

So how this plays with reopening. I am hopeful that the bill will get traction as theme parks, while potential for spreading, have done a remarkable job at NOT being superspeader sites. WdW can really be held as an example of how to do it right and shouldn't be punished for being the good corporate citizen. They've done as responsible for both CM and customers as balanced as I think they can.

There's no data to suggest the theme parks are of any higher risk than the large zoos; even here in San Diego as primary examples of three sites open: SD ZOo; Safari Park; and Seaworld.

My hope for theme park guidance: staged reopening - outdoor rides at xx capacity then gradual to indoor rides at xx capacity that actually is ahead (lower) the risk of indoor entertainment which has sustained nearby contact for hours; not minutes.

Really looking forward to better numbers and a reopening staged by May. April would be a nice surprise.....until then. Seaworld (sans rides).

Last edited:
My hope for theme park guidance: staged reopening - outdoor rides at xx capacity then gradual to indoor rides at xx capacity that actually is ahead (lower) the risk of indoor entertainment which has sustained nearby contact for hours; not minutes.

I really don't see Disneyland opening until they can have almost every single ride operating (with capacity constraints.) At least half the rides are partially indoors and I don't think Disney would want to offer such a watered down experience. Would work for your Six Flag type parks and hopefully be a step in the right direction but I think Disneyland will not open until they can operate in a similar way to Disney World is right now. Now if they were able to have all rides, outdoor dining only, quick cavalcade parades, and socially distanced character meets I think they would open up right away after getting everything set up and cast members trained.

There is no need to keep indoor rides closed. The amount of time you are inside is minimal and doesn't meet the criteria for even the 15 minutes of exposure guideline. I can't think of any rides where you are enclosed indoors, not moving, for longer than that.

-Guardians definitely would need preshow to be modified/skipped - lines inside would need to be changed
-Pirates queue will be a bit of a nightmare when capacity rises.

Shoot; just open up Mainstreet to the hub already - I just want to walk down and get a Dolewhip.

There is no need to keep indoor rides closed. The amount of time you are inside is minimal and doesn't meet the criteria for even the 15 minutes of exposure guideline. I can't think of any rides where you are enclosed indoors, not moving, for longer than that.
I think it will be the lines. And rides like Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion and the Submarines that may cause worries with indoor transmission. The rides themselves aren’t long but if they stop or breakdown you can easily be inside for 15+ minutes.

I guess the question to your question is are we trying to stop the virus or trying to stop people dying from the virus?

If the goal is to stop deaths from the virus, then vaccinating the most vulnerable (as we have done) moves the needle with a lot of leverage and has to factor.While the overall vaccination number is still lower than I think most people want, it’s available to those most affected. (The elderly) Once that population gets it the entire way we approach this virus has to change.

If the objective is to “stop” the virus, the god help us and our children’s generation that has to pay for it.

To loop this all back to the tiers system (and ultimately the parks opening) if you jab the demographics that carry the most risk you are left with a virus that carries a very low mortality rate among the rest of the population. As such, the systems in place to slow the spread would need to be reassessed because the risk factors have changed.

Please don’t take this as me underplaying the virus, or suggesting we go back to 2019 lifestyles tomorrow, just that we can’t use old systems when we have a paradigm shift in the fight.
Right, we will never stop the virus, we need to wake up to that fact and understand that we are simply going to have to accept making the effects of the virus more manageable.

I think it will be the lines. And rides like Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion and the Submarines that may cause worries with indoor transmission. The rides themselves aren’t long but if they stop or breakdown you can easily be inside for 15+ minutes.
Mansion and Small World have excellent ventilation systems, the subs will likely never see the light of day again though, they recycle the air too much.

Follow the data - it has not been an issue in WDW AT ALL. That said, with minimal capacity, I can see the submarines and ONLY the submarines being an exception. You are not going to run those one family to a sub. Keep in mind, people have been riding buses everywhere since the start, and theaters and indoor dining allowed @ red tier. The assembly bill, and the amusement parks themselves have been pushing to open in Orange tier.

-Guardians definitely would need preshow to be modified/skipped - lines inside would need to be changed
-Pirates queue will be a bit of a nightmare when capacity rises.

Shoot; just open up Mainstreet to the hub already - I just want to walk down and get a Dolewhip.
We were at Disney world in November and they weren’t doing the pre show at tower of terror or haunted mansion. The room doors were just open and just part of the line. And the pirates queue there is much more spread out than Disneyland.

Guardians definitely would need preshow to be modified/skipped

At WDW they weren't doing any preshows for rides when we went. Haunted Mansion too- no elevator part at all and it's just a walk through to the doom buggies. So that's probably a given if they haven't even brought them back to Disney World yet.

Anything interactive or high touch things in queues were covered up too.

Follow the data - it has not been an issue in WDW AT ALL. That said, with minimal capacity, I can see the submarines and ONLY the submarines being an exception. You are not going to run those one family to a sub. Keep in mind, people have been riding buses everywhere since the start, and theaters and indoor dining allowed @ red tier. The assembly bill, and the amusement parks themselves have been pushing to open in Orange tier.
Yep! and what about the 'data' from the trip that CA gov't officials took early last fall to WDW to see how they operated?? LOL, what a joke. It's exciting to hear a bill to speed up the re-opening but by the time this all comes to fruition, it'll be summer. I think that's their target date..at best, early May.

At WDW they weren't doing any preshows for rides when we went. Haunted Mansion too- no elevator part at all and it's just a walk through to the doom buggies. So that's probably a given if they haven't even brought them back to Disney World yet.

Anything interactive or high touch things in queues were covered up too.
The only rides with running preshows were FoP (which had groups spread between both rooms with a modified video) and ROTR with designated areas to stand.

The only rides with running preshows were FoP (which had groups spread between both rooms with a modified video) and ROTR with designated areas to stand.
Indoor loading of Guardians maybe an issue - have to figure a way to queue shorter -- easier without the preshow.
ROTR - I worry about the middle shows before the ride though it can get swishy there.

@Evita - not about stopping. Slowing and protecting vulnerable populations. Stopping option went away back in 4/2020.

@Lumpy1106 - exactly the restriction criteria for theme parks did not match up with actual tier restrictions. Red /orange or yellow. To drop it all the way to yellow was downright punitive whereas Red indoor dining poses a lot more transmission risks than almost anything in the theme parks (minus theatre shows)

We didn't get a preshow for FOP when we went. 🙁 I suppose you're right ROTR is still intact though! I guess I never thought of it as a preshow since to me it's all part of the show. 😂

We didn't get a preshow for FOP when we went. 🙁 I suppose you're right ROTR is still intact though! I guess I never thought of it as a preshow since to me it's all part of the show. 😂
I kinda liked the abbreviated FoP preshow better. MMRR - yeah, that could have used a preshow. I wish I'd watched it on YouTube before I went because that made NO sense! EPCOT was the biggest downer though. TT relies so heavily on the pre-show stuff and no post-show for both TT and Spaceship Earth was downright depressing.

What about Smuggler's Run? Was that always a sort-of walk-thru pre-show or are you supposed to stop in the room where he's telling you about your mission? Seemed like something was really missing there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter