Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Always been a fan of the monorail, but I grew up on the monorail when it was in its hayday. Used to love to sit in the front of the monorail, especially on the trip from TTC to Epcot. The state of the monorail now is just saddening. I would really hope they finally replace them with newer trains. At least the MK loop ones. If they were to tear down the epcot loop and replace it with a gondola I wouldn't be too heartbroken. Going back to a MK resort at the end of the day from Epcot can suck. Some nights had to wait for 2 or 3 trains just to get through the crowd, and then would be standing room only. I could see a Gondola with continuous loading dealing with the crowds much better.

My little guy was SUPER excited lat year for just that reason...and I was right there with him.

I can see that.

Although my nephew thought the Skyliner looks much more like a "ride" than a monorail. Plus he said it's a ride you don't need to be in a park for. He can't wait for it.

I think the gondalas will be much more comfortable than the monorails when it comes to strollers. We have a 3 and 6 year and after a day in the park both are often passed out in the sit and stand stroller. Trying to find room to put that on monorails and getting off after others have loaded or letting someone else off is a huge hassle.

Wow that thing looks tiny.
The length of the cabin, which is what you're seeing, is 6.33 ft. The interior width is 8.71 ft. at the widest point, slightly above the seats. The seats are 7.55 ft. wide, which allows each rider 18" if seated 10 per cabin, or about 22.6" if seated 8 per cabin.

Do we know if everyone will be seated? Will they make these standing room too? Or how many people they will put on each one?

Do we know if everyone will be seated? Will they make these standing room too? Or how many people they will put on each one?
Being that it will be a continuous load system, I doubt they will cram them full to standing room only. Everyone should have a seat.

Other than higher use times (park opening and closing), for the most part you should be able to be in a cabin with just your traveling party even if it's just 4 people or so. At least, that's my understanding.

That is really cool. For some reason I was thinking the station was be elevated, so it seemed really low to me. The fencing probably made it look lower too.

The length of the cabin, which is what you're seeing, is 6.33 ft. The interior width is 8.71 ft. at the widest point, slightly above the seats. The seats are 7.55 ft. wide, which allows each rider 18" if seated 10 per cabin, or about 22.6" if seated 8 per cabin.

As a point of comparison, 18" is as wide as the widest coach aircraft seats (including armrests).

Generally there’s a weight limit on these that limit the numbers of passengers to the number of seats or less. It’s unlikely you’d have to stand.

Only other scenario I can think of is that I believe the seats will flip up to better accommodate strollers and ECVs, etc. - so if a group has someone in an ECV and even if just one side (not sure if both would need to flip up or just 1) is flipped up I suppose possible that not everyone else would fit on one bench only so a few people might have to stand

Only other scenario I can think of is that I believe the seats will flip up to better accommodate strollers and ECVs, etc. - so if a group has someone in an ECV and even if just one side (not sure if both would need to flip up or just 1) is flipped up I suppose possible that not everyone else would fit on one bench only so a few people might have to stand
I think there would need to be some sort of grab bars, either on the sides or affixed to the roof, to allow standees. I predict "Please remain seated throughout your trip."

I think there would need to be some sort of grab bars, either on the sides or affixed to the roof, to allow standees. I predict "Please remain seated throughout your trip."

I predict that too. At least that's what I hope they do, even during busy times. I just can't see them ever wanting to pack people into these things and wanting people to ever stand up for safety reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter