Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I really think that everybody would love to see a monorail expansion instead of the gondolas except for the bean counters and people that whole Disney stock you want to see a better return on their investment. There have been many discussions here about the cost to expand monorail system and its astronomical compared to the gondola option.
I'm pretty sure I'd take the gondolas everyday. The only pro of monorail is the look and that it is an icon.

I'm pretty sure I'd take the gondolas everyday. The only pro of monorail is the look and that it is an icon.
That's the thing for me. It's not that the mode of transporation matters much to me it's that monorails at Disney have become such an attachment. Even getting that feeling of excitement (ok maybe it's just me lol) of riding the ones at the Orlando airport connects me to what I'll be riding on shortly when at the parks.

I've only ridden the monorail 2-3 times, but my experience was that they smelled bad, were not near as fast as I expected, and were generally underwhelming. I really can't wait for the gondolas!

I've only ridden the monorail 2-3 times, but my experience was that they smelled bad, were not near as fast as I expected, and were generally underwhelming. I really can't wait for the gondolas!
They wouldn't smell as bad if Disney actually took care of them like they should have.

I really think that everybody would love to see a monorail expansion instead of the gondolas except for the bean counters and people that whole Disney stock you want to see a better return on their investment. There have been many discussions here about the cost to expand monorail system and its astronomical compared to the gondola option.
This everybody wouldn't agree. I don't see this as an either/or decision. Both are viable transportation options (along with bus and boat) for moving people around the property. Each has advantages and disadvantages, financially, practically and thematically. I expect management to weigh all factors.

If it works I would love to see them install Gondolas at TTC-MK. East side of Bay Lake. Again the continuous load.
I agree. I think at the time Disney chose to use a monorail system, there was a belief that monorails were the next big thing in urban transportation. That turned out not to be true. The biggest problem with the WDW monorail has always been that it costs far outweigh any reasonable estimation of how much they were worth in terms of satisfying guests. Sure, we "really really" like them, but they are "really really really" expensive. Replacing them with a mode of transportation that is equally novel but more practical, like continuous load gondolas and/or trackless trams that bypass TTC and go straight from the parking lots to the front of MK, makes a lot of sense to me.

That's the thing for me. It's not that the mode of transporation matters much to me it's that monorails at Disney have become such an attachment. Even getting that feeling of excitement (ok maybe it's just me lol) of riding the ones at the Orlando airport connects me to what I'll be riding on shortly when at the parks.

I fully agree - I cringe when I see rumors / speculation about them replacing all the monorails with gondolas or other forms of transportation. The Monorail is so iconic and such a part of WDW. Especially the MK ones - as it was set up that you can see the Castle from the TTC to build excitment but then it goes out our view while on the Monorailk and then it comes back into view ... it's just part of the experience!

They wouldn't smell as bad if Disney actually took care of them like they should have.

yeah, more than wanting them to build more monorails I want them to just better maintain the ones they have! I used to think they weren't so bad but then our last trip I realized I was just kidding myself and they really do smell bad at this point!

This everybody wouldn't agree. I don't see this as an either/or decision. Both are viable transportation options (along with bus and boat) for moving people around the property. Each has advantages and disadvantages, financially, practically and thematically. I expect management to weigh all factors.

I am the same - I mean, if they added another monorail line I would be ok with it, but I am more excited about a new form of transportation. Walt was always looking for new forms of transportation and how that could change urban life - one reason he was pushing monorails - and you are seeing cities using gondolas so I think it is a perfect fit.

also, with the way the parks got built it just isn't viable to connect them all with monorails. If you look at the original Florida Project plan, everything was sort of in a line so you could have the monorail go between everything, but when they built DHS where they did and especially Animal Kingdom, it just doesn't make sense

Rob Plays did a great video showing multiple reasons why it doesn't make sense to build more monorails at WDW

If you're staying at one of the 3 monorail resorts, the monorail can't be beat. But for anyone else I would find another way if speed is what you're after.

I agree. The pristine monorails were pretty amazing and to some of us not as spooky as the gondolas. I'm trying to reserve judgment but I'm not looking forward to them personally.
I'm excited for the gondolas...not necessarily the looks of the supports for it (though really concrete isn't all that attractive either lol) but I def understand the concerns for others. In a way I think seeing how close the gondolas will be to the ground in at least certain spots made it seem better.

I'm going to withhold judgment as well on whether I'll like it or not. Not crazy about the looks of them right next to some of the buildings at the resorts and all but at the moment that's really the only true negative for me (well maybe a bit of the sightlines while inside the parks but knowing me I wouldn't even think to look when I'm actually there inside the parks).

I fully agree - I cringe when I see rumors / speculation about them replacing all the monorails with gondolas or other forms of transportation. The Monorail is so iconic and such a part of WDW. Especially the MK ones - as it was set up that you can see the Castle from the TTC to build excitment but then it goes out our view while on the Monorailk and then it comes back into view ... it's just part of the experience!

yeah, more than wanting them to build more monorails I want them to just better maintain the ones they have! I used to think they weren't so bad but then our last trip I realized I was just kidding myself and they really do smell bad at this point!

I don’t think replacing the monorails with something else is really on the table. Personally I’d hate to ever see them go, but I also avoid them at all costs because going on them just isn’t pleasant. They’re easily my least favorite mode of transportation at Disney. They really need to fix them.

Still think it is the fastest free play if you are traveling between MK and Epcot even with the disembark/re-embark at the TTC.

Yeah agree there. Especially mid-day when you may wait 30 minutes for a bus to show up.

Absolutely agree. My desktop background is Monorail Orange "flying" past SSE. Very Iconic. It certainly wouldn't be with a gondola instead!

Disney will replace or retire the Monorail about the same time they tear down Cinderella's Castle. Its iconic. It IS Disney. Its safe for all of our lifetimes.

Me too. You just can't beat the continuous loading feature of the gondola.

Yep, and I really don't mind other people (as I'm sure many do)-but these might be quite private depending on group size and time of day etc.

I also think these will have better visuals. Many times you can't even see out of a monoral, esp if seated in the middle, or you kinda just see out one side.

And you never can see forward or back.

It's not just you. My little guy was SUPER excited lat year for just that reason...and I was right there with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter