Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Do we know if the prime movers are installed? (Prime movers = the main propulsion driver for the cables, not the cables themselves or the back-up systems)

Do we know if the prime movers are installed? (Prime movers = the main propulsion driver for the cables, not the cables themselves or the back-up systems)
That is an interesting question that I don’t know has been discussed directly here or on Lift Blog etc. However, I believe each of the three lines have their primary drives at the CBR station and that those units are elevated in the structure comprising the load/turnaround areas. As somewhat recent photos show those structures to be largely enclosed now, I would doubt that the large primary drive motors are yet to be installed.

Attachments

• A76C6C30-FE28-4929-A2E3-1B8DA84F86C5.jpeg
    A76C6C30-FE28-4929-A2E3-1B8DA84F86C5.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 50
They're not being built by Disney. They're being built by a subsidiary of Doppelmayr. I don't know whether there's a specific problem or they just have more than they can handle, but apparently there have been other openings besides Disney that have been delayed. Doppelmayr has officially apologized to the affected ski resorts.
I fully realize that and that's why I asked my they were being farmed out to a different subcontractor. There is no way that Disney would want to be involved in their fabrication for obvious liability reasons. These are the simplest part of the system and there is no reason they should be holding up the startup of systems.
Production of specific vehicles can often be challenging for companies. I believe that’s a part of the reason the monorails are in the condition that they are. Production of vehicles is not something that other companies can easily take on, they require very specific production standards, equipment and trained staff.
The gondola cars are not really a vehicle in any sense of the word they are nothing but a box hanging on a hook which move them around the system. They are an extremely simple device that any decent fabrication shop in the world could build without a problem. That's why I stated earlier that I'm surprised if they were backlogged producing them why did they just contracts and was a workout to another Shop. There's nothing that is a trade secret about the gondolas themselves!

I fully realize that and that's why I asked my they were being farmed out to a different subcontractor. There is no way that Disney would want to be involved in their fabrication for obvious liability reasons. These are the simplest part of the system and there is no reason they should be holding up the startup of systems.

The gondola cars are not really a vehicle in any sense of the word they are nothing but a box hanging on a hook which move them around the system. They are an extremely simple device that any decent fabrication shop in the world could build without a problem. That's why I stated earlier that I'm surprised if they were backlogged producing them why did they just contracts and was a workout to another Shop. There's nothing that is a trade secret about the gondolas themselves!

Unless Doppelmayr has a pre-existing relationship with a fabrication shop, it's not something they can do on short notice. This is a box hanging 40 feet off the ground so there are safety concerns involved, any third party manufacturer would have to be carefully vetted before being given this sort of work.

The fabrication of the box is relatively easy. The issue has to do with getting the parts together. Doppelmayr like many other companies is having supply issues due to the ongoing trade war. Items coming out of China are getting hit with a 22% tariff. China in turn is shifting priority towards other nations. The parts were not in stock elsewhere and there is your backlog.

While I think the throughput of their shops should be pretty easy to estimate since there is nothing massively unique about about any given gondola, I think you are oversimplifying how easy it would be to outsource on a moments notice. I at least haven't seen anything to say whether it is an actual throughput issue, a parts shortage, or a parts quality issue.

If it is a parts/materials shortage or quality issue outsourcing wouldn't do them any good. If it is a throughput issue, it isn't that easy to just send off, you'd have to make additional tooling, perform quality audits, workout contracts and agreements, perform first article inspections, etc. and it assumes that you can find a shop with high quality and a decent amount of extra capacity.

The Skyliner is what I’m most excited for at WDW in 2019!!

I can't say it is the most exciting thing overall BUT I think of the big new things it is the one I will be watching the development (and then projected opening of - and SOFT opening of) the most as with my trip in August I think it is the one big thing that might be open in some capacity to at least try out - even if official/full opening isn't until "Fall"

Now I know maybe nothing of it will be open at all for my trip but it is the one thing there is a "shot" of being open so that is why I think I will be watching it closest vs, say, Galaxy's Edge which I know there is no shot of being open

Great! I hadn't seen the station since they painted the posts the bright yellow so didn't recognize it. The posts were still grey when we were there a few weeks ago.

I can't say it is the most exciting thing overall BUT I think of the big new things it is the one I will be watching the development (and then projected opening of - and SOFT opening of) the most as with my trip in August I think it is the one big thing that might be open in some capacity to at least try out - even if official/full opening isn't until "Fall"

Now I know maybe nothing of it will be open at all for my trip but it is the one thing there is a "shot" of being open so that is why I think I will be watching it closest vs, say, Galaxy's Edge which I know there is no shot of being open
Like you I'm hoping it will open a bit earlier than 'Fall' as we have a mid-September trip booked, staying at Pop.

While I'm sure I'll enjoy SW:GE I'm sure it won't be as much as you and many others do as I've never been a big SW fan and have only watched 2 of the movies. For me it's the Skyliner that has peeked my interest and excitement for 2019!

I'm sorry of this info is already on the thread but where is the actual station at CBR? What building is it closest to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter