• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I will be checking in the same day as you but leaving the 4. Here is to hoping it is opened that weekend. ( I know not likely )

And our family trip is the 27- the 3rd. Tentatively at Pop but waiting for AP discounts to come out for the entire week.

The first page now says the gondola was opening in the Fall, 2019. I thought it was the spring of 2018??? What happened?

The first page now says the gondola was opening in the Fall, 2019. I thought it was the spring of 2018??? What happened?
No, it was never spring 2018. They didn’t even break ground until shortly before that. I think the first towers started going up early in 2018.

They had not announced any official opening dates until D23 of this year and at D23 they announced an opening date if Fall 2019.

No, it was never spring 2018. They didn’t even break ground until shortly before that. I think the first towers started going up early in 2018.

They had not announced any official opening dates until D23 of this year and at D23 they announced an opening date if Fall 2019.

Sorry, I meant Spring, 2019

Disney never said Spring 2019; it was just put out by fans who claimed inside info. A few weeks ago, a Disney exec said it would be operating in Fall 2019 (which doesn't rule out am earlier opening.)

Disney never said Spring 2019; it was just put out by fans who claimed inside info. A few weeks ago, a Disney exec said it would be operating in Fall 2019 (which doesn't rule out am earlier opening.)
Nobody really claims inside info. People do know people including myself. Cabin production is setting things back a bit in terms of getting things moving sooner.

It really depends. I would say most reliable on WDW info is probably Martin Smith.

Yeah, Martin has consistently shown he has access to good information, and that is really the only good measure of an insider. It's sometime a tricky thing to gauge because not everything an insider reports pans out, when it doesn't it might be because plans changed, but it also could be because they have a bad source.

p.s. This response is for the benefit of others, since I know you already know all this. :)

No "insiders" are 100% spot on, even Martin, but I will concede that his accuracy is well above 50%, which is a lot higher than most.

Anyways,.if disney is saying fall 2019 and the cables are already strung (which they are), then the odds of the cause being cabin delivery are pretty darn high. It would have to either be that or construction of the stations, because at this point you are probably 2-3 months away from the operating system being good to go. The fact we haven't seen a bunch of cabins arrive yet is also a good sign that's holding things up.

I really don't understand it being production of the cabins. They are a very simple device and it doesn't take that much to construct one at all. If their own shop was behind it something that could easily be sent to a Job Shop without fear of having quality issues.

I really don't understand it being production of the cabins. They are a very simple device and it doesn't take that much to construct one at all. If their own shop was behind it something that could easily be sent to a Job Shop without fear of having quality issues.
They're not being built by Disney. They're being built by a subsidiary of Doppelmayr. I don't know whether there's a specific problem or they just have more than they can handle, but apparently there have been other openings besides Disney that have been delayed. Doppelmayr has officially apologized to the affected ski resorts.

Production of specific vehicles can often be challenging for companies. I believe that’s a part of the reason the monorails are in the condition that they are. Production of vehicles is not something that other companies can easily take on, they require very specific production standards, equipment and trained staff.

To be clear, unless I missed something, Disney is right on schedule with this project. It's only us Internet dwellers that decided it's late based on the progress observed. Disney has not changed it's tune as to the opening timeline since it first presented one.

To be clear, unless I missed something, Disney is right on schedule with this project. It's only us Internet dwellers that decided it's late based on the progress observed. Disney has not changed it's tune as to the opening timeline since it first presented one.
Yes Disney never announced anything but the facts remain this could have opened sooner than Disney has stated. Cabin production is the reason is opening so late. Also if things pick up it could open ahead of Disney’s announced season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter