Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I know this is just a silly hope right now, but if this is successful, what do you all think the chances are they’d Bri g back the Skyway in the parks in some form? There was something absolutely magical about that to me and I miss it a lot.
Inside the parks is unlikely. This Skyliner is a mass transit system. The Skyway in the parks was an attraction.

To answer the question about the international Gateway and the boardwalk Yacht Club Beach Club area, people who don't want to take the boat because they're afraid of the water have the option of walking. It's a very short walk to International Gateway and only about a 15-minute walk to Hollywood Studios, so a nice uncrowded option on a nice day.

As for rope drop, they let you in to the top of the bridge in the UK and hold you there. At Park opening you have to walk back through UK and Canada if future world is
your destination. It's a pretty decent walk if you're heading to Soarin or Frozen. France is only open as far as Les Halles for breakfast and there's a rope to stop you from going around WS that way.

Those tap points can get backed up first thing in the morning especially during food and wine because there are only 3 open and one is usually for annual passholders. Exit pushes everyone out through two lanes nearest the gift shop. The current layout could result in a major bottleneck at park close with the increase of bodies using that exit to get to the Skyliner.

I think that at some point they will definitely need to expand International Gateway to accommodate the increase of traffic.

Ok so I know I have been one of the biggest proponent of the system and am still super excited for it but after watching that video my first impression is "wow, that's an eyesore."

Maybe before it goes online they will dress the towers up somewhat? I'm not really sure why I think it's a bit of an eyesore though. I mean it's not like the monorail track is aesthetically pleasing and I do know what chair lifts and gondolas look like.

Eh, who knows, maybe I'm just cranky from lack of sleep.

To answer the question about the international Gateway and the boardwalk Yacht Club Beach Club area, people who don't want to take the boat because they're afraid of the water have the option of walking. It's a very short walk to International Gateway and only about a 15-minute walk to Hollywood Studios, so a nice uncrowded option on a nice day.

As for rope drop, they let you in to the top of the bridge in the UK and hold you there. At Park opening you have to walk back through UK and Canada if future world is
your destination. It's a pretty decent walk if you're heading to Soarin or Frozen. France is only open as far as Les Halles for breakfast and there's a rope to stop you from going around WS that way.

Those tap points can get backed up first thing in the morning especially during food and wine because there are only 3 open and one is usually for annual passholders. Exit pushes everyone out through two lanes nearest the gift shop. The current layout could result in a major bottleneck at park close with the increase of bodies using that exit to get to the Skyliner.

I think that at some point they will definitely need to expand International Gateway to accommodate the increase of traffic.

I wonder if they might modify things a bit once this is open and you will have more people using this entrance in the morning. I know Les Halles is open at 9am and now so is the Frozen ride and Gran Fiesta, correct? Wonder if they might open up the pathways around WS to let people get to the other side both ways. Though I know part of the reason they don't do that now is to give them more time to get that part of the area show ready for the day, so maybe not and just everyone has to go past Canada, etc. to get to the other side

Ok so I know I have been one of the biggest proponent of the system and am still super excited for it but after watching that video my first impression is "wow, that's an eyesore."

Maybe before it goes online they will dress the towers up somewhat? I'm not really sure why I think it's a bit of an eyesore though. I mean it's not like the monorail track is aesthetically pleasing and I do know what chair lifts and gondolas look like.

I get what you are saying (especially about being cranky when tired) but I do think when the actual gondolas are running and they are colorful and have the characters on them, etc. it will feel like less of an eyesore than just the barren towers

Like you said about the monorail track - you notice less how blah they are when an actual monorail is soaring down one of them

The towers will likely stay as is. The stations (except for the boardwalk turn) will be themed.

A complete guess, or wishcasting, but you could certainly open the Rat ride or whatever might end up at the england pavilion, and still block off the rest of the world showcase until it's ready to open. Maybe create a little perk for being on that side of the park for entrance.

A complete guess, or wishcasting, but you could certainly open the Rat ride or whatever might end up at the england pavilion, and still block off the rest of the world showcase until it's ready to open. Maybe create a little perk for being on that side of the park for entrance.
You have Frozen though too.

I get what you are saying (especially about being cranky when tired) but I do think when the actual gondolas are running and they are colorful and have the characters on them, etc. it will feel like less of an eyesore than just the barren towers

Like you said about the monorail track - you notice less how blah they are when an actual monorail is soaring down one of them

The towers will likely stay as is. The stations (except for the boardwalk turn) will be themed.

Very true. Also, I think part of the problem was the video was showing the area right in front of the DHS station and had a bunch of towers really close together. When the towers are more spread out, as they likely will be along the longer section of the route, it probably won't seem so bad.

Very true. Also, I think part of the problem was the video was showing the area right in front of the DHS station and had a bunch of towers really close together. When the towers are more spread out, as they likely will be along the longer section of the route, it probably won't seem so bad.

definitely - and also the angle as they were sort of lined up so appear even closer than if you were more from the side

Not saying these are ever going to be the most attractive things ever but I suspect it won't be as bad when things are fully up and running

You have Frozen though too.

and Grand Fiesta too, right?

Is something to consider though once the rest of the attractions coming to WS are open will they open all of WS at 9am ... though, if you look where they are all located, there are none from France (other than Les Halles being open) through China so you could still just have the edges of both sides open and keep the rest closed until 11am

and Grand Fiesta too, right?

Is something to consider though once the rest of the attractions coming to WS are open will they open all of WS at 9am ... though, if you look where they are all located, there are none from France (other than Les Halles being open) through China so you could still just have the edges of both sides open and keep the rest closed until 11am
Yes Gran Fiesta as well.

I could definitely see them only having the attractions open at 9 and the dining and shopping open later.

I thought I read here at some point, one driving factor for the late open in world showcase is the dependence on the student labor, from the host countries. They are somewhat limited in the quantity of staff, so giving the pavilions a late open helps with that.
I'm sure if revenue can beat expenses, they'll figure out a way to open it earlier. Having at least one more popular attraction will help.

I thought I read here at some point, one driving factor for the late open in world showcase is the dependence on the student labor, from the host countries. They are somewhat limited in the quantity of staff, so giving the pavilions a late open helps with that.
I'm sure if revenue can beat expenses, they'll figure out a way to open it earlier. Having at least one more popular attraction will help.

Hadn't heard that but it makes sense. And if they have to staff the rides with non-host country staff that probably would be ok - I think more important to have them in the restaurants and shops and stuff where you interact with them more (talking to those CMs is one of my favorite things every trip)

Yeah I get what you’re saying. I was going to say something about the monorail beams, but I also feel the monorail is way more iconic since it’s been an opening day fixture and we’ve all become more acquainted with it’s presence. Hopefully something similar happens with the skyliner over time (and I definitely think these won’t be as ugly looking once there’s cable and cars running on them)

Well, they are an eyesore in the parking lot - which makes not much of an eyesore.

The station when done I am sure will be dressed very nice. The poles I am not expecting them to dress at all, but as MaxRebo says it will look way better with the gondolas traveling down the wire.

Edit: And remember, at one point similar poles were INSIDE MAGIC KINGDOM. Yes, those eyesores, ran right through the middle of fantasyland and tomorrowland for 25 years.

I could definitely see them only having the attractions open at 9 and the dining and shopping open later.

Shopping, maybe ... but they're really missing an opportunity to capture some extra $$ in World Showcase at breakfast. Les Halles is the only QS in the WS open at park open these days serving breakfast, and the lines get LONG. Granted, Les Halles is a bakery so it naturally lends itself to more breakfast stuff like pastries and mimosas ... but I wouldn't be angry if Liberty Inn started serving chicken biscuits or sausage & egg muffins or something in the morning ...

Shopping, maybe ... but they're really missing an opportunity to capture some extra $$ in World Showcase at breakfast. Les Halles is the only QS in the WS open at park open these days serving breakfast, and the lines get LONG. Granted, Les Halles is a bakery so it naturally lends itself to more breakfast stuff like pastries and mimosas ... but I wouldn't be angry if Liberty Inn started serving chicken biscuits or sausage & egg muffins or something in the morning ...
True, although they probably would rather have people going to Garden Grill or something for a table service breakfast.

True, although they probably would rather have people going to Garden Grill or something for a table service breakfast.

Sure, but there are only so many seats at a TS. Personally, I just don't think there are enough breakfast/brunch offerings daily at any of the parks ... but that's just me! I'm holding out hope that maybe with TSL and definitely with Star Wars Land that Hollywood Brown Derby starts doing breakfast/brunch like Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter