• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

As someone who’s staying at BLT next month, I know it’s gonna be a hassle when I wanna go resort hopping at some point. But I can also appreciate their efforts to make sure the monorails secure, even if it makes my day a bit more of a pain
I didn’t find it that bad while I was there in January. We hopped to the Poly mainly.

I didn’t find it that bad while I was there in January. We hopped to the Poly mainly.
Yeah I can imagine the only “backup” would happen early in the morning before park opening. Other than that it’s usually a trickle of people here and there

If the skyliner has its own dedicated security like the monorail and bypasses traditional security for DHS and Epcot, I could see myself becoming a DVC member at the Riviera Resort haha

If the skyliner has its own dedicated security like the monorail and bypasses traditional security for DHS and Epcot, I could see myself becoming a DVC member at the Riviera Resort haha
I’d love to stay at riviera at some point, I just fear it’ll be outside of our feasible point range for our length of stay

Unless they wait until all three sets of stations are complete before they bring in the crew to pull the cables.
True, although Martin did say we could see a gondola out by the end of the year testing. System wouldn't be under full operation for about 12 months from now and guests riding in 13-15 months.

I think we will find the Haul rope installed on all three lines at overlapping times. As the splicing of the haul rope is a specialized process, with very few folks able to do it. So I expect the personnel will do the 3 lines consecutively.

14941582-2733-475c-bd37-788a5e8c7a8c-jpeg.320616

This pic right here to me is the proof we were looking for that this is 3 separate runs all meeting up at a central station (CBR) and will require deboarding and reboarding. Mainly, the turn on the end vs. not having a turn and also extensions off the back that would attach to the other lines for a pass through.

I can't see what your seeing lol. I've studied this pic for 15 minutes and can't tell anything

This curve is where the gondolas turn and go back towards DHS. If this line was going to be connected to either of the other lines it wouldn't look like this.

View attachment 321284
It does prove that DHS is a separate line, but it doesn't rule out the Pop and Epcot lines being connected.

BTW, if our assumption is correct that the outer loop is for wheelchair boarding, I'm curious to see what they do for wheelchairs at the Riviera.

If they do keep bus service at Skyliner resorts, I wonder if we'll see buses labeled as going to Future World and gondolas marked International Gateway. More distinctly separate destinations.

It does prove that DHS is a separate line, but it doesn't rule out the Pop and Epcot lines being connected.

BTW, if our assumption is correct that the outer loop is for wheelchair boarding, I'm curious to see what they do for wheelchairs at the Riviera.

That is a really good question..

I don't believe demand will dictate the level of service. The cost per passenger to operate the gondola is likely going to be much less then buses so Disney has an incentive to push people to the gondola which is why we have heard that they don't want to run buses at all on these routes.

Understood. But we're also talking about a mode of transportation which has the potential to tap into very real fears (heights, claustrophobia) of many guests.

If Disney tries to mandate Skyliner use at those resorts, they will have some very angry guests. If Disney runs modest bus service which proves inadequate to meet demand, they will have angry guests.

I completely understand what Disney WANTS to do and their motivation for doing it. And I know they are accustomed to taking heat over unpopular policy changes. I'm just not convinced that they will be able to easily overcome the guest outcry over THIS particular issue. Telling an acrophobic that they should have chosen a different resort or have to wait an hour for a bus or should pay $25 each way for Minnie van are not things I would put on the same level as tiered ticket prices or stricter security measures.

Again, fascinating to see how it will play out.

Understood. But we're also talking about a mode of transportation which has the potential to tap into very real fears (heights, claustrophobia) of many guests.

If Disney tries to mandate Skyliner use at those resorts, they will have some very angry guests. If Disney runs modest bus service which proves inadequate to meet demand, they will have angry guests.

I completely understand what Disney WANTS to do and their motivation for doing it. And I know they are accustomed to taking heat over unpopular policy changes. I'm just not convinced that they will be able to easily overcome the guest outcry over THIS particular issue. Telling an acrophobic that they should have chosen a different resort or have to wait an hour for a bus or should pay $25 each way for Minnie van are not things I would put on the same level as tiered ticket prices or stricter security measures.

Again, fascinating to see how it will play out.

I can't see there being any bus service eventually. There are non gondola resorts for folks whose fears preclude them from riding. As has been mentioned, there is no bus service from GF, CR, BLT, or the Poly to MK or Epcot.

But can you really expect every single person who stays at one of these resorts to know if they could *only* use the gondola? Because buses will still exist for other destinations.

If I was at the Poly and had a fear of boats (or had motion sickness), I could still ride the monorail to the MK.

There is also no requirement that you stay at a gondola served resort either. If folks fears are that much of a driving factor, I'm confident they'll pick a different resort.

If I had a fear of Giraffe's I wouldn't book at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. If had a fear of Mardi Gras I wouldn't book at Port Orleans french quarter. Many people have fears of many things, but much of that is in their control at time of booking. One simply has to make it clear what transportation is available in full disclosure.
After all someone has to be afraid of buses.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter