Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I addressed both the "industry standards" and "alignment with other resorts" by telling them not to bother using that excuse, since we all know it's bullcrap.

I can see it now......

Good morning Joe,

My name is Thomas and I am a Leader with the Guest Experience Services team at the Walt Disney World Resort. I received your message regarding our recent changes to Resort Hotel parking and I wanted to take a moment to respond, first of all to thank you for taking the time to write to us to raise your concerns but also to thank you for your commitment to the Disney Brand as a stockholder. Our team certainly values hearing from our Guests, especially on matters such as this, as your voice helps us to understand the impact of changes that are made across our organization. I want to personally assure you that your concerns have been heard and will be shared with the appropriate areas and Leadership. As I'm sure you are aware, we occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors within our company, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii, but also based on feedback that we hear directly from our Guests.

Joe, please be assured that we are committed to continuing to provide unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts. Should you wish to discuss further, I would be happy to set up time with you at your convenience. I can be reached as a reply to this email. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on this recent change.

Warmest regards,

Thomas Gauthier
Guest Experience Services Manager
Walt Disney World Resort

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Good morning Jane,

My name is Thomas and I am a Leader with the Guest Experience Services team at the Walt Disney World Resort. I received your message regarding our recent changes to Resort Hotel parking and I wanted to take a moment to respond, first of all to thank you for taking the time to write to us to raise your concerns but also to thank you for your commitment to the Disney Brand as a stockholder. Our team certainly values hearing from our Guests, especially on matters such as this, as your voice helps us to understand the impact of changes that are made across our organization. I want to personally assure you that your concerns have been heard and will be shared with the appropriate areas and Leadership. As I'm sure you are aware, we occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors within our company, including alignment with our resorts in California and Hawaii, but also based on feedback that we hear directly from our Guests.

Jane, please be assured that we are committed to continuing to provide unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts. Should you wish to discuss further, I would be happy to set up time with you at your convenience. I can be reached as a reply to this email. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on this recent change.

Warmest regards,

Thomas Gauthier
Walt Disney World Resort

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning Sally,

Sally, please be assured that we are committed to continuing to provide unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts. Should you wish to discuss further, I would be happy to set up time with you at your convenience. I can be reached as a reply to this email. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on this recent change.

Warmest regards,

Thomas Gauthier
Walt Disney World Resort

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning Michael,

Michael, please be assured that we are committed to continuing to provide unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts. Should you wish to discuss further, I would be happy to set up time with you at your convenience. I can be reached as a reply to this email. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your thoughts on this recent change.

Warmest regards,

Thomas Gauthier
Walt Disney World Resort

ETC....ETC....ETC.....

The information that is bolded in your post, page 92 #1836, provides guidance on modified reservations that were made by today.
Well, yes. That's the email that was sent to me. I'm not worried about modifying for myself, I'm just suggesting others might want to get that in writing as well since there is nothing official mentioned on their website about rules for modifying a reservation after March 21st and paying a parking fee.

Others have said they were told by WDW that applying a discount to an existing reservation would not negate the free parking. However, I just last week changed a room-only reservation at one resort to a different resort - I did this online using the "change" link in the reservation - and wound up with a new reservation number and new confirmation email, as if I had booked a brand-new reservation. Had I not canceled that and booked offsite, I'd be prepared for a disagreement with WDW as to whether or not I was still eligible for free parking, TBH.

And then the question will become, will Disney honor the word of their notoriously uninformed front-line cast and if so, how hard will guests have to push to make that happen.

I've been on the phone for the last hour and a half trying to get an annual pass/photopass issue straightened out and it took getting transferred around to 6 CMs to find someone who seems like he might be able to figure out the issue (fingers crossed - I'm still on hold waiting for him to get back to me). At least three of those CMs said some variation on "If that's what the computer did, it must be correct" re: the effective date of the AP and the start of the Photopass download benefit and had to be pushed even to transfer me to someone else who might hopefully understand the problem (it is nonsensical to say the AP is effective and the expiration clock ticking down as of the first day of use of the MYW ticket upgraded to purchase it, but also say that the PP benefit doesn't apply until the actual upgrade is complete). So if I seem a little skeptical of the word of phone CMs as a defense against parking fees associated with a reservation made before/modified after Mar. 21, that's why.

And then the question will become, will Disney honor the word of their notoriously uninformed front-line cast and if so, how hard will guests have to push to make that happen.

I've been on the phone for the last hour and a half trying to get an annual pass/photopass issue straightened out and it took getting transferred around to 6 CMs to find someone who seems like he might be able to figure out the issue (fingers crossed - I'm still on hold waiting for him to get back to me). At least three of those CMs said some variation on "If that's what the computer did, it must be correct" re: the effective date of the AP and the start of the Photopass download benefit and had to be pushed even to transfer me to someone else who might hopefully understand the problem (it is nonsensical to say the AP is effective and the expiration clock ticking down as of the first day of use of the MYW ticket upgraded to purchase it, but also say that the PP benefit doesn't apply until the actual upgrade is complete). So if I seem a little skeptical of the word of phone CMs as a defense against parking fees associated with a reservation made before/modified after Mar. 21, that's why.
Yep, BT/DT with Disney IT and things going awry, so I'm with you 100% Hope they get things fixed soon for you :)

And that's the issue. You know when you made the original reservation but I've heard a few people report that it's the modification date that show's up on the cast members end. If that's the case, I bet some people will be charged for parking.

Yes. You won't be able to book online or book a package until they release next year's rack rates, usually June-July time frame.

You can book a room only via phone up to 499 days out.
Thank you.
Do u happen to know if I can book for Dec 2018 and then shift the reservation to summer 2019?

Well, just pulled the plug and cancelled our October on-site trip. Now staying off-site.

They still send pin codes? Haven't received one in probably over 10 years. I thought they didn't give them out any more. Maybe now that I cancelled they will send me one, lol! Fat chance.
You (and anyone doing this) should email the execs, let them know you’ve cancelled and why. They need to see this in real numbers.

Since future dates do not have rates yet, were you charged the current room rate as a deposit for each?

I am planning a trip for August 15-ish 2019. Not sure what resort yet, depends on rates and promos, but it will definitely be a deluxe. Normally I book when rates have come out and because its a package, I give a deposit of $200.

If I book today, which I have seen you can only book as far as July, for a July trip and use say All Star Resort to reduce my deposit from $600 to under $200 (because you cant book a package now for next year), can I change dates and resort later and still not pay parking?

So I answered my own question (and Ill reply to my own post !!!)

I just callled.

Yes, bookings can only be made until next July. Only room only reservations can be made for 2019, until July. 2018 you can book a package.

Today is the last day you will be exempt from the parking fee

The deposit for the room only reservation is the cost of one night at the resort you choose.

You can modify your reservation at any time prior to final payment due.

Modification includes:

Change of dates..future is accepted if you want to really go after July.
Change of resorts
Change of guests as long as the primary guest is still on the reservation
Add package (tickets/dining/ground transportation/flights) to existing room only reservation

So...for my real trip August 2019 at a Deluxe resort, I booked July 15 - 28 at the All Star Sports, standard room. Deposit was $165.77.

I will not pay parking :)

So will DVC always be exempt from paying for parking, or is that a benefit that could potentially be removed as well?

If I modify my reservation after today, would I be charged the parking fees?

No (I was told this by a CM when I just made my reservatation

How were you able to book that far out? I'd like to do this but was only able to book 499 days out. Thanks!

I too was only able to book untl next July, thought I told her I was not going until late August. She said to call back any time between next month and final payment to modify the dates.

All resort guests other than DVC members will be charged.

DVC and Handicap.

Others have said they were told by WDW that applying a discount to an existing reservation would not negate the free parking. However, I just last week changed a room-only reservation at one resort to a different resort - I did this online using the "change" link in the reservation - and wound up with a new reservation number and new confirmation email, as if I had booked a brand-new reservation. Had I not canceled that and booked offsite, I'd be prepared for a disagreement with WDW as to whether or not I was still eligible for free parking, TBH.

FAQ for online reservations....

upload_2018-3-20_17-55-14.png

You should have called.

I just got my email response about this today. Here it is.......

"I just wanted to clarify a couple of things that you were asking about in your email. If you are to modify your reservation either to add or subtract days, the parking changes are not going to impact your resort stay. This is because you have already booked the initial reservation and you are just modifying the current reservation. "

I'm happy to have this in writing, in case it becomes an issue.

That's interesting wording right there because it certainly leaves the door open for anyone who modifies for other reasons, like to add a discount, to lose that grandfathered status.

I finally received two email responses today, and one phone message. The response from the email I sent to guest services said that I would not be charged the parking fee "despite making modifications to this existing reservation." But the response to the email I sent to George's office (was forwarded to guest services and they are who responded) assured me of no parking charge "should you need to modify the dates of your reservation." So it was worded two different ways.

But haven't at least some recent reports indicated that applying a discount can result in a new reservation number? I'm pretty sure I read that on a couple of the free dining/stay-play-dine watch threads, that a lot of people weren't able to apply the discount as a change to their existing reservation online but had to in effect cancel and rebook (via phone) with the CM applying their initial deposit to the "new" reservation. I could be wrong. I generally don't pre-book like that so it isn't something I've done myself in many years.

I think there are cases where you would actually be making a different reservation in order to get a discount. "Stay-play-dine" would be a package. I don't know much about packages because I always book Room-only. If I wanted to apply a package discount like free dining to my room-only reservation, it would not surprise me that I would end up with a new reservation. I don't know for sure, but I think room-only and packages are two different products with different terms so it would be like starting your plans over. I don't agree that a parking fee should be applied in that case but I wouldn't be surprised.

And that's the issue. You know when you made the original reservation but I've heard a few people report that it's the modification date that show's up on the cast members end. If that's the case, I bet some people will be charged for parking.

You could be right, and they may even hope that guests won't catch the parking fees added to the folio at the end of the trip. I always check mine, line by line. Last time, I had to go to the desk and ask for a print -out of all my charges because I did not receive an envelope in my room on my last day, nor had it been emailed to me. I'm sure some people don't even look at the charges carefully. Mine is always very long and detailed, the way they add all the taxes in seperately each day. On the last day, trying to get out of the room, manage luggage and transportation, I know that no one is in the mood to study the bill. But I do and I will make sure there are no added parking fees on mine, I will bring print-outs of my original reservations with dates, as well as print outs of the emails assuring me that modifications will not cause me to be charged a fee.

Where are the "Good! More room for me" posts?
There’s a couple, but a shocking lack of them. Also a shockingly increased number of actual cancellations, and trip amendments as opposed to just threats. In this case I think Disney just found the line where their guests hit the wall, and are unwilling to be gouged more. So they are changing reservations to offsite, or reducing current reservations and future trips, cancelling APs (which loses them AP revenue as well as the onsite resort stay revenue)...

In addition, they seem to be saying they’re experiencing way more backlash than expected. Keep it up. It may not reverse this decision, but perhaps they will think twice over ‘unbundling’ other on-site perks and and adding them in as additional ‘Resort Fees’ (DME, theme park parking, etc) and future ridiculous money grabbing only based decisions. We can only hope.

Last edited:
So I answered my own question (and Ill reply to my own post !!!)

I just callled.

Yes, bookings can only be made until next July. Only room only reservations can be made for 2019, until July. 2018 you can book a package.

Today is the last day you will be exempt from the parking fee

The deposit for the room only reservation is the cost of one night at the resort you choose.

You can modify your reservation at any time prior to final payment due.

Modification includes:

Change of dates..future is accepted if you want to really go after July.
Change of resorts
Change of guests as long as the primary guest is still on the reservation
Add package (tickets/dining/ground transportation/flights) to existing room only reservation

So...for my real trip August 2019 at a Deluxe resort, I booked July 15 - 28 at the All Star Sports, standard room. Deposit was $165.77.

I will not pay parking :)
I have been out of the house for the last couple of hours and am just catching up now.

I am glad you received yet another confirmation of the we are all concerned about.

Yes.........the big plus of having your resort only reservation made today is that you can "bump it out" past the 499 day window at a later time.

I plan on actively bumping out mine (3 of them) to Dec 2019, 2020, and 2021.

A previous poster commented that they could only see to about Dec '18 right now online.

In order to make a reservation way past that, up to about July 31st 2019, You HAVE to call.

I paid about 178 upfront for each of my 2019 Pop Century reservations......but if each one saves me (presently) 13 dollars a day, I am happy with that.

As long as I cancel at least 5 days before arrival, I can get a 100 percent refund.

Well, yes. That's the email that was sent to me. I'm not worried about modifying for myself, I'm just suggesting others might want to get that in writing as well since there is nothing official mentioned on their website about rules for modifying a reservation after March 21st and paying a parking fee.
...........to have the best chance of keeping the same Res. Number, call them.....don't do it online.

In order to make a reservation way past that, up to about July 31st 2019, You HAVE to call.

I paid about 178 upfront for each of my 2019 Pop Century reservations......but if each one saves me (presently) 13 dollars a day, I am happy with that.

As long as I cancel at least 5 days before arrival, I can get a 100 percent refund.

Yes, I paid $165 for my deposit and as I see it, it saved me $288 in parking. When they come out with 2019 package rates in June, Ill modify to what Im really planning on doing. The $165 is actually cheaper than the $200 deposit for a a package deal deposit. Im sure in June, Ill be asked to pay the addtional $35. But...nothing to lose. I can cancel the whole reservation and get 100% back if I later decide we are not going.

I was on the phone for over an hour and a half with the most incompetent CM I've ever encountered, but I have a tent campsite booked for two separate dates next year. When we decide when/where we want to stay, I'll modify. I don't even own a tent.

After that it will be offsite for us if we go at all. I still enjoy Disney, but I will NOT pay to park at a resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter