Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean? I thought it was for any reservations after 3/21?
It is the date that the reservation was made, not the date of the stay that determines when paid parking begins. If you made any reservation for any time in the next 499 days, you get free parking.

Any guests that make a fresh reservation tomorrow, and forever after that, will be charged a parking fee.

That's interesting wording right there because it certainly leaves the door open for anyone who modifies for other reasons, like to add a discount, to lose that grandfathered status.

Good point. I specifically asked about adding/deleting days since I already have my discount so that's probably why it was worded that way.

If someone has a reservation and they are hoping to modify it at a later date to add a discount, I'd advise them to get it in writing.

Last edited:
Good point. I specifically asked about adding/deleting days since I already have my discount so that's probably why it was worded that way.

If someone has a reservation and they are hoping to modify it at a later date, I'd advise them to get it in writing.
a modified reservation that was originally made today or in the past, will get free parking. As long as the original reservation number exists, it will be honored.
Change resort, modify party size, changing the stay dates, adding a discount, are all forms of modification and won't affect free parking eligibility.

After today...........If, however, you CANCEL the reservation, and even book for the exact same stay dates, THAT will put in in the "pay for parking" category.

To cover your bases, print out a copy of your present reservations and the present policy page. That documentation might come in handy.

Last edited:

If someone has a reservation and they are hoping to modify it at a later date to add a discount, I'd advise them to get it in writing.

a modified reservation that was originally made today or in the past, will get free parking. As long as the original reservation number exists, it will be honored.
Change resort, modify party size, changing the stay dates, adding a discount, are all forms of modification and won't affect free parking eligibility.

To cover your bases, print out a copy of your present reservations and the present policy page. That documentation might come in handy.

But haven't at least some recent reports indicated that applying a discount can result in a new reservation number? I'm pretty sure I read that on a couple of the free dining/stay-play-dine watch threads, that a lot of people weren't able to apply the discount as a change to their existing reservation online but had to in effect cancel and rebook (via phone) with the CM applying their initial deposit to the "new" reservation. I could be wrong. I generally don't pre-book like that so it isn't something I've done myself in many years.

But haven't at least some recent reports indicated that applying a discount can result in a new reservation number? I'm pretty sure I read that on a couple of the free dining/stay-play-dine watch threads, that a lot of people weren't able to apply the discount as a change to their existing reservation online but had to in effect cancel and rebook (via phone) with the CM applying their initial deposit to the "new" reservation. I could be wrong. I generally don't pre-book like that so it isn't something I've done myself in many years.
There is always a chance something could get a little messed up, but in the past I have modified several different ways.
I have changed resorts, I have changed people listed in the group, I have had an AP discount added, and I have had a military discount added.
I still had my original reservation number after the modifications.

After today...........If however you CANCEL the reservation, and even book for the exact same stay dates, THAT will put in in the "pay for parking" category.

But does it say anywhere on the website that modifying your reservation after March 21st won't result in being charged a parking fee? I mean unless you have it in writing, the rules are a bit grey.

When I modify my tickets or resort room after prices go up, I'm subject to the higher fees. I wouldn't be surprised if guests are told after the fact that they are subject to the fee even if they can produce the original date and confirmation number.

It is the date that the reservation was made, not the date of the stay that determines when paid parking begins. If you made any reservation for any time in the next 499 days, you get free parking.

Any guests that make a fresh reservation tomorrow, and forever after that, will be charged a parking fee.
Ahhh ok. Would help if I read the new parking rules more carefully "Effective for new reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter." Thanks

I have made several modifications without a change in reservation numbers, but my reservation number did change once when I modified it. They probably did need to cancel my reservation and rebook it, though they didn't mention that to me at the time, and I didn't think to ask. That's another thing to clarify with them if you need to make a modification.

But does it say anywhere on the website that modifying your reservation after March 21st won't result in being charged a parking fee? I mean unless you have it in writing, the rules are a bit grey.

When I modify my tickets or resort room after prices go up, I'm subject to the higher fees. I wouldn't be surprised if guests are told after the fact that they are subject to the fee even if they can produce the original date and confirmation number.
The information that is bolded in your post, page 92 #1836, provides guidance on modified reservations that were made by today.

I know when we have used a discounted miitary rate they told us if we modified the dates there might not be availability at the military rate since they only allocate a certain number of rooms.

I know when we have used a discounted miitary rate they told us if we modified the dates there might not be availability at the military rate since they only allocate a certain number of rooms.
Yes, that is true...............and also a different situation than this parking fee situation.

I have also found that to be the case. We have always had to be very flexible when booking military discount and this year was no different.

Had a first today....usually they send the little booklet after you make a reservation and I got one last week. Today I got a snail mail confirmation letter from Disney Destinations that had the date I booked and all my reservation details.

No.........the original date stamp makes you grandfathered for free parking

Here is what I did: Made 3 reservations for the future. Printed out paper copies of each. Made 3 paper copies of the new policy that identified March 21st as the turnover date.

You can modify in any way..............change resorts, change dates, change people. As long as it has the original reservation number, you are safe.

I plan on using mine in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Each will be an annual visit for us.

Since future dates do not have rates yet, were you charged the current room rate as a deposit for each?

I am planning a trip for August 15-ish 2019. Not sure what resort yet, depends on rates and promos, but it will definitely be a deluxe. Normally I book when rates have come out and because its a package, I give a deposit of $200.

If I book today, which I have seen you can only book as far as July, for a July trip and use say All Star Resort to reduce my deposit from $600 to under $200 (because you cant book a package now for next year), can I change dates and resort later and still not pay parking?

Others have said they were told by WDW that applying a discount to an existing reservation would not negate the free parking. However, I just last week changed a room-only reservation at one resort to a different resort - I did this online using the "change" link in the reservation - and wound up with a new reservation number and new confirmation email, as if I had booked a brand-new reservation. Had I not canceled that and booked offsite, I'd be prepared for a disagreement with WDW as to whether or not I was still eligible for free parking, TBH.

:offtopic: But the MA RMV really varies by location. The smaller ones seem to be the best bet. Only time I've gone was the one in Wilmington, basically no wait. But I've heard the larger ones, in or near the cities, can have very long wait times. Basically, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

WOW...Ill need to go to Wilmington; I use the Milford RMV (because they closed Framingham/Natick/Marlborough) and the wait is HOURS. I go to Milford because I heard Worcester is worse. No online ressies. Im glad I only have to go every 10 years, plus getting my kids their permits/license etc (only 1 more kids to go!!).. I let my insurance co deal with registrations. But that one in 10 years always leaves me traumatized.

How come I just got an e-mail that makes it seem like AP holders won't pay parking...

From: Disney Destinations <DisneyDestinations@passholder.disneyparks.com>

Hello, Amy!

If enjoying a little Passholder getaway sounds good, using your pass to save on a stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel should sound even better. We've got something to fit just about every taste and budget!

And when you stay with us in the middle of the magic, you can use your pass to come and go between your Resort and the Parks at your own pace! You'll even be closer to restaurants and shops that may offer Passholder discounts as well.
You'll also be able to take advantage of an array of benefits, including:
Extra time in a Theme Park each day to enjoy select attractions (with valid Theme Park admission and Resort ID)!
Complimentary transportation and parking throughout Walt Disney World Resort.
Fun-filled activities for everyone.
Discounts on dining at select restaurants.

Complimentary transportation and parking throughout Walt Disney World Resort???? Maybe just an old welcome e-mail for AP's that they really need to update wording? Either way - think this might actually prompt me to write the execs...

***EDITED*** Nevermind - this is inviting me to stay onsite and get free parking. Would delete - but not sure how.

Sorry for not reading firsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter