Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said you couldn't ask for more info. It's all the talk of how bad doesn't explain anything and it wasn't bad thereroe your opinion is wrong even if someone's not directly saying that. Just trying to understand why it's so important to people that the word bad not be used to describe a movie unless they provide more info. Maybe it's just the way the questions and discussion went.

But I also know this hits me as I had an English teacher in college tell me my opinion was wrong, which isn't true as it can't be. So I didn't change my paper on the book and I'm sure whatever grade she gave me on it reflected that. That's also more where I'm coming from, it doesn't matter how descriptive or informational someone's opinion is, it's not wrong just because it's different.

Also beer is nasty, I don't like the way it tastes or smells. Same with coffee, don't like coffee flavored anything. But my saying that and saying it's awful, I don't drink it are the same things.

That makes sense and for me at least, had the questions been more than why did you think it's bad and had info like this to back it up it'd make more sense to me. Though I also felt like it was enough info.

Obviously we are diving far to deep into this, but I guess if you don't like how all beer tastes or smells then is going to influence your thoughts on a specific beer - and you saying it is "a bad beer" I think isn't appropriate b/c you don't like beer. It means you don't like it ... it could be an amazing beer for what a beer is

I think when someone says "that movie was bad" - to me that means you don't understand why anyone would like it, except in an ironic way. That you think it was poorly made, poorly written, poorly performed, and not containing any merit

People can find a movie that is well made boring, or not something they want to watch, but that is different than saying it was "bad" ... so for a movie that most people seem to, even if they personally didn't like it, agree it was well made - I would be curious why someone finds it a "bad movie"

Why Wonder Woman 84 can be considered a bad movie

What did the opening scene have to do with the movie? It was thrown in there for visuals and never came into play the remainder of the movie

Diana goes out of her way to take out the security cameras in the mall because she wants to stay incognito. But she’s a 6 foot tall scantily dressed woman swinging around a golden lasso in front of 100s of people for over 5 minutes.

Literally no explanation of why Steve Trevor was brought back in another mans body.

An hour and a half of building up Barbara wanting to become an Alpha, but not explanation as to why. She’s an important scientist that even the FBI entrusts her with the Genie’s lamp, but her idea being an alpha is taking her glasses off, washing her hair, shopping for new clothes, and going to the gym?

Maxwell Lord becomes Jafar, and his story is basically just granting wishes left and right. But when the wish is granted, he steals something of theirs? I want my land back. Wish granted, but I’m taking all of your oil. Again, it was never explained those were the rules that by granting a wish, he got to take whatever he wanted from you. 1 of the rules that WAS explained was that you could only have 1 wish. Suddenly that changed for Barbara as she was just granted a 2nd wish.

We get 10 minutes of the wish tunnel, that could easily be cut down to 2 minutes. And then when everything is over, Maxwell is all of a sudden a hero and gets a heartwarming embrace with his son with dramatic music playing? The World was on the brink of destruction, the man was a super villain, and not only was he not arrested, but also receives a slow motion run hug moment with his son?

Why Soul was “bad”

It was boring

Obviously we are diving far to deep into this, but I guess if you don't like how all beer tastes or smells then is going to influence your thoughts on a specific beer - and you saying it is "a bad beer" I think isn't appropriate b/c you don't like beer. It means you don't like it ... it could be an amazing beer for what a beer is

I think when someone says "that movie was bad" - to me that means you don't understand why anyone would like it, except in an ironic way. That you think it was poorly made, poorly written, poorly performed, and not containing any merit

People can find a movie that is well made boring, or not something they want to watch, but that is different than saying it was "bad" ... so for a movie that most people seem to, even if they personally didn't like it, agree it was well made - I would be curious why someone finds it a "bad movie"

I think you're just going down teh rebbit hole of semantics. I do agree that calling a movie "bad" should come with some reasons why, but it doesn't strictly have to.

Last edited:
WB must be panicking with the direct to consumer plan for 2021 movies. 500,000 app downloads over the weekend for a movie that was supposed to, and bonuses paid as if it were a billion dollar film. They’re currently sitting at around 12,000,000 subscribers. I can’t imagine them getting a bigger bump of subscribers for any other movie on their slate than this past weekend. So ironically, WB/AT&T are going to NEED these movies to succeed theatrically or they’re in very, very big trouble.

:offtopic:
As I paged down repetitively through the last several pages of this thread, I started thinking that @rteetz needs to go back to his old avatar....
Also, it's starting to remind me of Philosophy 101.
Yeah I didn’t help but I certainly didn’t expect such a lengthy discussion of a word.

WB must be panicking with the direct to consumer plan for 2021 movies. 500,000 app downloads over the weekend for a movie that was supposed to, and bonuses paid as if it were a billion dollar film. They’re currently sitting at around 12,000,000 subscribers. I can’t imagine them getting a bigger bump of subscribers for any other movie on their slate than this past weekend. So ironically, WB/AT&T are going to NEED these movies to succeed theatrically or they’re in very, very big trouble.

Yeah, the thing is their slate for next year isn't too good. I think Wonder Woman was their best shot since the first one is well liked. It being a bit of a dud though may mean people don't continue to subscribe. WB really has deeper problems than just the pandemic impact on theatrical box-office - they need compelling content.

Totally agree with you on both beer and coffee - I bet you don't hear that one a lot.

I don't. Though the beer thing doesn't come up much, but with this group it was a good example with all the beer talk I've read on the newa thread over the years. I enjoy cider though so I can always look like I have a pint :rotfl2: I do know a few people that don't like coffee, but living outside Seattle there's not many around.

@TheMaxRebo I think I said that I thought beer was awful, which to me is different than bad. Something can taste or smell awful because you don't like it but milk goes bad. So when talking about food/drink I wouldn't use bad unless it had gone bad/expired/soured etc. Semantics I suppose. Stuffs nasty either way and it doesn't matter what type of beer, which then gets back to the why isn't it enough for me to say I think beer is awful, I don't drink it, I prefer whiskey. It implies I don't like the taste, the why doesn't matter becauae it's an opinion that won't be changed.

First, thank you @rteetz for allowing this extended discussion about movie likes/dislikes.

For me, I liked Soul. In addition to being a jazz fan, I thought the concept was interesting. I thought the computer animation in the real-life scenes was the best (most realistic) I've seen, except for the people. I'm trying not to include any spoilers here and hope I haven't said too much already.

I thought the computer animation in the real-life scenes was the best (most realistic) I've seen, except for the people.
Yeah that's what stood out to me: It was actually jarring in crowd scenes because it looked like you were watching a live-action movie with these cartoony-headed people walking through it.

Not panicking...so far, apparently quite pleased. It was more watched than Soul so far...in fact, it beat every film this year, including Hamilton...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ows-promise-for-hbo-max-audience-survey-finds

Not panicking...so far, apparently quite pleased. It was more watched than Soul so far...in fact, it beat every film this year, including Hamilton...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ows-promise-for-hbo-max-audience-survey-finds

What were they going to say, they were disappointed? And then report on WW3 being green lit? You cannot possibly be “quite pleased” with 500,000 app downloads, maybe just over 1,000,000 with streaming accessories. That equates to a $15M dollar opening weekend. There’s no way to spin this into being a success. And you can’t use the already accounted for 12,000,000 subscribers prior to the weekend to make a weekend money estimate or you’d have to say Soul had a $602,000,000 weekend because Disney+ had 86M subscribers.

HBOMax needs about 100,000,000 subscribers to make this experiment work, and with a lack of people signing up for HBOMax this weekend, it’s a good indication they’re not going to come anywhere close to that number. I guarantee they were at least hoping to double their subsciber count over the weekend. Even if they get to 50M subscribers by the end of the year, that does not pay for over a billion dollars worth of movies made and distributed

Last edited:
What were they going to say, they were disappointed? And then report on WW3 being green lit? You cannot possibly be “quite pleased” with 500,000 app downloads, maybe just over 1,000,000 with streaming accessories. That equates to a $15M dollar opening weekend. There’s no way to spin this into being a success. And you can’t use the already accounted for 12,000,000 subscribers prior to the weekend to make a weekend money estimate or you’d have to say Soul had a $602,000,000 weekend because Disney+ had 86M subscribers.

HBOMax needs about 100,000,000 subscribers to make this experiment work, and with a lack of people signing up for HBOMax this weekend, it’s a good indication they’re not going to come anywhere close to that number

For a service that skews older and domestic only (US), mobile app downloads will not represent the vast majority of downloads. International is where everyone watches these products on their phones, not in the US.

To be the #1 video on demand release at the same time as also having the movie released in theaters had to be a relief for WB. The fact the movie also made $16.7M in those theaters (almost double any other movie's true 3 day weekend open in the pandemic while only having 39% of domestic theaters open) would make them even happier - and thus, the fast tracking of Wonder Woman 3.

If anything, Disney might be a little upset Soul was not the #1 video on demand release for the year...and from the article, possibly not #2, either...although, that's probably b/c of the competition from Wonder Woman...if it had its own opening weekend, it probably would have grabbed the #2 slot...

For a service that skews older and domestic only (US), mobile app downloads will not represent the vast majority of downloads. International is where everyone watches these products on their phones, not in the US.

To be the #1 video on demand release at the same time as also having the movie released in theaters had to be a relief for WB. The fact the movie also made $16.7M in those theaters (almost double any other movie's true 3 day weekend open in the pandemic while only having 39% of domestic theaters open) would make them even happier - and thus, the fast tracking of Wonder Woman 3.

If anything, Disney might be a little upset Soul was not the #1 video on demand release for the year...and from the article, possibly not #2, either...although, that's probably b/c of the competition from Wonder Woman...if it had its own opening weekend, it probably would have grabbed the #2 slot...

They said the streaming accessories (roku, fire stick etc) were likely to have about the same amount of downloads as phone, tablet etc. which is why I said 1M total downloads of the service.

I think you’re sugar coating it as a fan. As a business, there’s no way that they’re pleased with these numbers. Having the most watched PVOD movie of the year isn’t exactly an accomplishment when you see what was released on PVOD this year. It’s not going up against Endgame. It went up against Mulan and Soul

I personally don’t care that much whether you use the word bad or not. I just prefer some explanation. Tell me why you thought that.

Just a quick question on it that's bugging me, I just don't have time to rewatch for a while.

I mentioned it earlier, and it certainly can be overlooked and not affect the movie. But did he leave his wallet behind so the family didn't know he was in the hospital?

Just a quick question on it that's bugging me, I just don't have time to rewatch for a while.

I mentioned it earlier, and it certainly can be overlooked and not affect the movie. But did he leave his wallet behind so the family didn't know he was in the hospital?
I would have to rewatch myself.

o_O Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar movie!

The thing is, you're right, but when someone says a movie is "bad" it is understood to be that person's opinion of it. There are some objective measures of quality, but they don't really matter whe one doesn't like the movie. People do it the other way too - I've had it explained to me many times why recent Star Wars movies are objectively bad - and yet, I still like them.

You're allowed to like bad movies.

WW was a bad movie.

Soul was middle of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest