Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

I think the reality is that the DPR is basically keeping the company afloat, so they are using the buckets of money from that division to bail out the rest of the failing company. I'm sure every department head was told to find a way to reach into the pocket of a customer and pull out a fiver.
IMG_5503.jpeg
Entertainment and Sports is back on the rise as DTC turns profitable. Even at its worst Entertainment still made $3b annually.

Experiences look to have peaked for now.

The narrative that Disney is losing money on everything except the parks is not even close to true.

View attachment 904096
Entertainment and Sports is back on the rise as DTC turns profitable. Even at its worst Entertainment still made $3b annually.

Experiences look to have peaked for now.

The narrative that Disney is losing money on everything except the parks is not even close to true.

You are right. A better way to have phrased it is that experiences is the main money maker by a very, very large margin. Disney parks and experiences accounted for over 70% of net operating income according to this article, which in my mind makes it the golden goose. Maybe I’m reading it wrong, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/07...y-maker-its-spending-to-keep-it-that-way.html

No but to be fair it’s a premium add on for Deluxe guest's and will sell out (a cap wasn’t given)
Moderate, Value and non resort guests still have single and multi pass at a slightly more reasonable price

Honestly I’m not the clientele for this

AP only stays at moderate or value 2 times a year during RunDisney weekends had only used Genie+ twice in MK and during my Land trip (along with individual Lightning lane for radiator springs racers)

Plan to do multi pass for Magic during wine and dine (my splurge with a single pass to ride GoTG twice on our Epcot day)
While this is not something I would ever splurge for in the US parks, I do see the market. My bucket list trip is Disney Tokyo. At the point that we do it, it will be a once in a lifetime trip involved with a larger trip to Japan. We will likely only have 2 days to spend at the parks, and wouldn't think twice about such a big splurge to assure we get to do everything we want. Its not like "we will just do it next time" or we can stay an extra day etc. For the international travelers in particularly, this seems like it may be a good option. I am ok with them offering it as an option if they truly are going to limit the number of passes distributed so the lines don't get worse.

While this is not something I would ever splurge for in the US parks, I do see the market. My bucket list trip is Disney Tokyo. At the point that we do it, it will be a once in a lifetime trip involved with a larger trip to Japan. We will likely only have 2 days to spend at the parks, and wouldn't think twice about such a big splurge to assure we get to do everything we want. Its not like "we will just do it next time" or we can stay an extra day etc. For the international travelers in particularly, this seems like it may be a good option. I am ok with them offering it as an option if they truly are going to limit the number of passes distributed so the lines don't get worse.
Stay a little longer, at least give DisneySea 2 days!

Not "Disney" news, but certainly relevant to those vacationing in Orlando:

Universal’s Epic Universe Opening Date, Ticket & Vacation Package Details!

Universal Orlando Resort has announced the official opening date of Epic Universe, their third theme park in Florida that debuts in 2025. Along with this, they’ve shared ticket details for the new gate, preview info for Annual Passholders, and more.​

Universal is doing such a money grab here. I don't blame them, but when Disney does it - everyone complains.

Universal is not offering single-day tickets to the general public to Epic. The smallest is a 3-day, which only allows 1 day inside EPIC - the other two in the other 2 older parks. And that will be $520 on opening weekend, and presumably near that price for the months to come.

You can also buy an Annual Pass, which only gives admission to the older 2 parks. This AP then gives you the option to buy up to six 1 day tickets at Epic. I'm guessing 1 day tickets will be at least $200.

So, Universal is really milking this. Good for them.

Universal is doing such a money grab here. I don't blame them, but when Disney does it - everyone complains.

Universal is not offering single-day tickets to the general public to Epic. The smallest is a 3-day, which only allows 1 day inside EPIC - the other two in the other 2 older parks. And that will be $520 on opening weekend, and presumably near that price for the months to come.

You can also buy an Annual Pass, which only gives admission to the older 2 parks. This AP then gives you the option to buy up to six 1 day tickets at Epic. I'm guessing 1 day tickets will be at least $200.

So, Universal is really milking this. Good for them.
Sure, it's a cash grab, but also it's definitely going to be necessary. There hasn't been a new premier theme park in Florida in a long time. The demand is going to be through the roof for the general public, and then you add in all the bloggers that just have to do everything asap, and it's a recipe for disaster in the opening days. By requiring the resort stay you can artificially limit the crowd by the hotel inventory. That looks a lot better than turning people away at the gate.

Sure, it's a cash grab, but also it's definitely going to be necessary. There hasn't been a new premier theme park in Florida in a long time. The demand is going to be through the roof for the general public, and then you add in all the bloggers that just have to do everything asap, and it's a recipe for disaster in the opening days. By requiring the resort stay you can artificially limit the crowd by the hotel inventory. That looks a lot better than turning people away at the gate.

Does it require the resort stay though? I thought they are only selling the ticket bundled into the 3 day tickets nothing about resort.

Demand is going to be way through the roof possibly for a few years...look at the harry potter sections they are still slammed all the time.

Universal is not offering single-day tickets to the general public to Epic
They aren't doing so yet. They plan to. From their FAQ:

Additional Universal Epic Universe-inclusive ticket products – including one-day and two-day tickets, Universal Express and more – will be available in the coming months and will go on sale before the park opens.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/park-tickets/epic-products

It is possible that particular days will sell out before then---opening day, for example---but they only get one of those, so more power to them.

You are right. A better way to have phrased it is that experiences is the main money maker by a very, very large margin. Disney parks and experiences accounted for over 70% of net operating income according to this article, which in my mind makes it the golden goose. Maybe I’m reading it wrong, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/07...y-maker-its-spending-to-keep-it-that-way.html
As per the chart we see that prior 2 years ago Entertainment was the bread winner for forever. As Disney has delved into streaming that is when it changed. As DTC grows we will see that Parks and Media will come back to closer to 50/50 split.

Disney was planning on making a Mary Poppins ride. Didn’t come to be.

I don’t believe universal on this. No reason for them to.
Hm, I feel like eventually they'll offer 1 day tickets. I was counting on it for when we go back to WDW for a week in 2026 or 2027 to add the day at EU

Last edited:
Hm, I feel like eventually they'll offer 1 day tickets. I was counting on it for even we go back to WDW for a week in 2026 or 2027 to add the day at EU
They are offering them for passholders and specifically state in the FAQ about tickets that they will announce 1 and 2 day tickets before the park opens. The wording is such that they may not actually be valid for initial opening, but they will announce before opening what the dealio is. Everything being announced right now only pertains to the first few months or maybe even a year.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest