• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream - Behind the Scenes/Tour/Making The Ship

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
I wasn't exactly sure what to title this. Is there a tour or "show" or something that teaches you the all about the Dream? Like how it was built or the inner workings of the ship? If so, is it included or is it extra, do you need to sign up in advance, and is it family friendly or just adult? My DH isn't quite into Disney as much as me and my DD. He has however played along with many many Disney World trips and enjoys cruising, but he loves knowing what makes things tick, so if this exists I really want to do it as I know he would love it.

I wasn't exactly sure what to title this. Is there a tour or "show" or something that teaches you the all about the Dream? Like how it was built or the inner workings of the ship? If so, is it included or is it extra, do you need to sign up in advance, and is it family friendly or just adult? My DH isn't quite into Disney as much as me and my DD. He has however played along with many many Disney World trips and enjoys cruising, but he loves knowing what makes things tick, so if this exists I really want to do it as I know he would love it.

Doesn’t cost extra. You don’t sign up for it. Just show up. On a recent navigator from this year it had it starting at 1:45 starting at preludes. Check your navigator as it could change it’s called walking ship tour.

It saids fun for all ages. Your kids probably will be bored. Do you think your kids want to take a ship tour when They first get on. Most kids not. They will rather be at the pool, aquaduck, kid clubs

Last edited:
This past Thanksgiving I did the "Art of the Ship" tour as I believe its called. It was offered 2x on the Fantasy.

I believe there is 2 walking tours of the ship. 1) is to get familiarized with the ship, this is just where the restaurants and bars and pool are. 2) is the Art of tour. It tells you the why's of the carpets, paintings, themes of the restaurants. Our tour guide said there is 99 pages of info about the ship but they only have 1 hour so they pick and choose what to talk about. I thought this tour was amazing and will do it again.

I believe in the past there was a tour that showed the "off limit" areas like the bridge and such but that doesn't exist any more, from what I found on these threads. I would be very interested in taking that tour.

One thing is on TV there are several Disney Cruise Travel shows that go behind the scenes and show the engine room, bridge and kitchen areas. If you look on You Tube you may find them. Some are old and dated but they give you a lot of extra "Geekiness" info, that I love.

I sailed on the Dream in December and it was a 45 presentation called "Making Of The Dream" held in the Pub 687. Hubby and I took our oldest daughter to it who's 11 and we all enjoyed it. I actually learned things about the ship and Castaway Cay that I didn't even know. I like going to those little events that DCL puts on. The Animal Towel making is a lot of fun as well.

I sailed on the Dream in December and it was a 45 presentation called "Making Of The Dream" held in the Pub 687. Hubby and I took our oldest daughter to it who's 11 and we all enjoyed it. I actually learned things about the ship and Castaway Cay that I didn't even know. I like going to those little events that DCL puts on. The Animal Towel making is a lot of fun as well.

Do you walk around the ship or is it only a video?

The only tour that I've seen so far where you walk around is the first day tour of the ship that they offer 2-3 times during the afternoon. However, it was limited basically to walking between the theater and the clubs; nothing exciting.

I believe in the past there was a tour that showed the "off limit" areas like the bridge and such but that doesn't exist any more, from what I found on these threads. I would be very interested in taking that tour.

One thing is on TV there are several Disney Cruise Travel shows that go behind the scenes and show the engine room, bridge and kitchen areas. If you look on You Tube you may find them. Some are old and dated but they give you a lot of extra "Geekiness" info, that I love.

Sadly, since the events of the Costa Concordia, access to the bridge and engine room has been limited.

Best thing to do is to get a job on the ship and go on a cast member only tour

They offer walking tours of the ship. We did one on the second day of the 7 night Fantasy cruise. They offered an adult only and family friendly versions. The adult only went inside Palo. It's very educational and helps you get an understanding of where things are on the ship

On Embarkation Day (and maybe early morning of the first day) there is a general walking tour that shows you where the most important things you'll need to know are (MDRs, theatre, etc.). That's very basic and is open to all.

At another time (sometimes multiple offerings), there will be an Art of the Theme Show Tour (adults only) which take about the story behind a lot of the details of the ship. It can reveal some "secrets" so it is adult only. It's free.

No bridge tours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter