Disney Characters with Disabilities

That would be Rolly. Am I very, very sad for knowing that?! :rotfl:

I can emphsize with him as I sit here cleaning up the peanut butter jar and am hungry. He was the most adorable of the Dalmatians. I wish I has your memory, I just can remember him saying he was hungry.

I'm just a Disney geek. I was even called a Disney geek by a whole group of Disney geeks!! :rotfl: This might have had something to do with the fact that I could name every character of a mural, even some of the really obscure ones! :blush: Oh well, I take the term "Disney geek" to be a complement :3dglasses

I'm just a Disney geek. I was even called a Disney geek by a whole group of Disney geeks!! :rotfl: This might have had something to do with the fact that I could name every character of a mural, even some of the really obscure ones! :blush: Oh well, I take the term "Disney geek" to be a complement :3dglasses

I have major memory problems or I would be a Disney Geek. People outside of boards do not understand what an E-Stop is or who Gurgi is. I am proud to have met a real Disney Geek. A pleasure indeed:cool1: :yay:

Oh, my memory for day to day things is pretty bad (especially when the brain fog sets in), but when it comes to Disney, I can remember the most obscure and random things! I often get weird looks for spouting random trivia :blush:

Back to the original topic: I've not seen it for a while, but doesn't Belle's father have some medical concerns? Or have I misremembered that?

Oh, my memory for day to day things is pretty bad (especially when the brain fog sets in), but when it comes to Disney, I can remember the most obscure and random things! I often get weird looks for spouting random trivia :blush:

Back to the original topic: I've not seen it for a while, but doesn't Belle's father have some medical concerns? Or have I misremembered that?

Yes, I think he did. Now, some of the problem was Gaston was making up some of that stuff, so I don't remember which is real and which wasn't.

Also, one I just thought of, Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins may be bi-polar.

I do not think he had a condition but being in that old mansion as a prisoner of Beast made him sick. He was a wee bit eccentric, lol.

Back to hunting for characters. I am not to familiar with the live action stuff. Muppets had Gonzo and Animal, lol. Miss Piggy well she needed help big time. I remember one character had low esteem. Back to my fog and hugs.

I thought I'd rekindle this thread, see if anyone could think of any more :goodvibes. I know I have a few to add!

Sid's toys in Toy Story have a fair range of disabilities... that he gave them

Rhino in Bolt has a weight problem

Dr. Finkelstein in Nightmare Before Christmas uses a wheelchair

Pete, from Pete's Dragon, had an abused childhood, and had some trust issues because of this (of course, in true Disney style, he was able to overcome these and find a loving family in the end :goodvibes)

Elliot, the dragon from Pete's Dragon, was non-verbal, and also didn't quite understand what is and isn't acceptable behaviour around others (on the spectrum, perhaps?)

While we're on Pete's Dragon, Lampie had an alcohol dependency

OK, who has more? :thumbsup2

;)oh, i loved this thread, but have no imagination!
tracy

One of my friends decided to have fun one day (after learning that I'm a CM) and looked at the different Winnie the Pooh characters (who, technically, are property of the A.A. Milne estate, not owned by Disney) to "diagnose" them.

Rabbit- OCD
Eeyore- Bipolar
Piglet- Social Anxiety Disorder
Tigger- ADHD (another disability he has- he has a lisp)
Pooh- Lowered mental capacity
Kanga- Empty Nest Syndrome
Gopher- Agoraphobia (fear of open spaces)
Roo- Separation anxiety
Owl- Narcissitic tendencies and superiority complex

I think my friend had too much time on his hands...

I think Rafiki was either delusional or had some weird chemical dependency issues, and Scar was a sociopath.

I have to say Lilo and Stitch gets me every flipping time when the little girls make fun of Lilo and she throws Scrump down..then goes back and hugs her. Had a similar childhood..I can sympathize.. and had I known about voodoo I probably would have tried that on my "friends" too.

Pumba - Some kind of digestive problems, causing a few.... socially awkward problems - IBS, perhaps? Though I suppose it could just be what happens when you have a diet comprised entirely of creepy crawlies :eek:

Oh heck!You all have me thinking,sometimes not a good thing!LOL! Winnie the pooh,memory loss or maybe cognitive impairment? Sleepy,hmm, most of you have said narcolepsy,i was also thinking CFS(chronic fatigue syndrome). Eeyore,chronic depression.

Paula

My mom and I have always said that Eeyore had Major Depression, Tigger has ADHD, Piglet has Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Rabbit is absolutely OCD, and Pooh is a Complusive Overeater.
That's humor in a household full of behavioral health professionals. We tend to be a little dark in the funny department sometimes. :laughing:

And I can say there is one character in the Disney lexicon that I abhor. Sid from Toy Story. That kid is a sociopath waiting to happen.

And I can say there is one character in the Disney lexicon that I abhor. Sid from Toy Story. That kid is a sociopath waiting to happen.

And he's not waiting that patiently either! :scared1:

Goob from Meet the Robinsons has height issues during his childhood, and doesn't seem to grow at all between the age of about 10 and 15!

I was thinking he was also showing some indications of borderline personality disorder...

Has anyone mentioned yet that Gaston is a narcissist, Cinderella may be schizophrenic (I mean, come on! A fairy godmother that shows out of nowhere and mice that talk to her! Ever noticed that Bruno and Lucifer don't talk?), Frollo is racist (though that's more of a social disability than a physical/mental one, IMO) and Scar is a sociopath.

I think that Stitch might be bipolar! My DD is bipolar and you can really explain the ups and downs of the disorder by thinking about Tigger and Eeyore all rolled into one person!:goodvibes

I'm glad that somebody mentioned Cinderella at last, I was beginning to think that I was the only one!

LOL, if she does have schizophrenia, it's in addition to the severe emotional abuse she's suffered since her father remarried (which could explain the delusions all on its own, come to think of it, even if they don't fit true delusion behavior by providing actual, real stuff in addition to other real interactions).

Anyhow, she also shows classic victim escapist behavior by being perfectly willing -- even eager! -- to marry the 1st man she meets in order to get out of her family's abusive situation.

Thinking of Cinderella in this light makes me realize that most of Disney's animated lead characters seem to have significant abandonment issues that in many ways negatively affect their lives. Think of Megara, for instance. Not only did she literally sell her soul to Hades, god of the underworld, in order to keep her relationship together, she then became Hades' willing minion (until she met Herc, anyway) in order to keep what little security she had left after her BF left her.

And Lady, from Lady and the Tramp, is struck with jealousy because *she* is afraid (at first) and then convinced that her family will get rid of her because of the new baby in the household.

But . . . nobody's mentioned Bambi yet. A classic compulsive overachiever due to his mother's early death and an absent father who nevertheless demands perfection.

Let's see, who else? Well, most of the more recent heroines (all motherless, what is UP with that?) generally have to sacrifice themselves in some pretty gruesome ways in order to serve the general good (the princess from Atlantis comes to mind) although Ariel, driven by what I would consider a pathological need for acceptance by a culture other than her own, actually does it all to *herself* (self-harm, anybody?).

Oh, I almost forgot Simba. Obsessive guilt, particularly when taken to the extreme that he does, is clearly in his life a massive negative influence that fits diagnostic criteria. He also has life-affecting critically low-self esteem, which affects his life so much that he actually casts himself out of his own society.

Something else has just occured to me -- Belle has Stockholm Syndrome.

Anybody else?

Whitewater

Something else has just occured to me -- Belle has Stockholm Syndrome.

I'd never thought of that before, but now that you say it, it makes perfect sense!

RV in Toy Story is non-verbal.

Rex has anxiety issues and numerous insecurities

Slinky Dog - hypermobility? :rotfl: *

Bacchus in Fantasia has an alcohol dependency

Rattigan in Basil the Great Mouse Detective has some serious identity issues in refusing to accept that he is a rat, not a mouse (not to mention all the standard psychoses that seem to be a mandatory part of being a Disney villain :lmao:)

*no offense intended to hypermobiles and EDSers everywhere, of course

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!