• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Review - September/October 2022

Lol Scott sounds like a man who knows what he wants to drink. :rotfl2: Iā€™m also a Scott and I go for a bourbon every time instead of the martini. Must be something about us Scotts
Seems like lately when weā€™re out heā€™ll order a martini. But he enjoys Bourbon too, usually Makers. Sometimes a shot of tequila. You are right - he knows what he wants to drink. Must be a Scott thing. I like to try different drinks.

Really enjoying your report. I have never been to Shula's and I really must change that as I hear so many good things about it, and specifically the experience sitting at the bar. Have you ever tried Flying Fish? That's my absolute favorite bar to sit at for just drinks or a full meal. Sorry the hurricane messed with your plans a bit. That wild boar tenderloin at Jiko is one of my favorite dishes anywhere on property. I'm not sure if they still do but they used to be willing to serve a double portion as an entree. Looking forward to more!
Thank you for joining. Shulaā€™s is great, definitely recommend you try it.
We went to Flying Fish our last trip. Maybe we didnā€™t order the right things, but it was just OK. Weā€™ve been talking about giving it another try since so many people love it.
We enjoyed the Abracadabar sort of attached to Flying Fish, but didnā€™t think they served food. Maybe we missed it - is there an actual bar in Flying Fish? Weā€™ll have to look since we enjoy eating at the bar.
Good to know about the boar for an entree at Jiko - that was a surprise how much we enjoyed it.
Sorry it takes me a while to get these done, I only really work on it on the weekend.

Sunday 10/2/22
We spent most of the day at Magic Kingdom

Scott has been saying he wants a hot dog. We mobile ordered one from Caseyā€™s. He enjoyed it. This was a huge hot dog.

D7167DCE-B03C-4403-9ED7-21B2C5CED9CA.jpeg

We hopped to Epcot in the afternoon.

Later we drove to Caribbean Beach Resort a bit early for our dinner reservation at Sebastianā€™s Bistro. Weā€™ve never been to this restaurant before but read good reviews so wanted to give it a try.

We went to Banana Cabana for drinks first.
8C7CF5B0-AA23-4FA6-90D2-8CB93657136B.jpeg

Scott had an Old Fashioned. Since this is an outdoor bar, they donā€™t have glass, just plastic glasses. He didnā€™t want his normal martini in a plastic glass. He enjoyed his drink.

I had the Banana Cabana: Cruzan Mango Rum, Parrot Bay coconut rum, Bols crĆØme de banana, orange juice, and pineapple juice with a float of grenadine. This was very tasty too.

We hung out at the bar enjoying our cocktails.
0EB7D614-A980-49B3-AFBF-6138D4442F34.jpeg

Scott went to check in at Sebastianā€™s Bistro around 7:45 to let them know we are there at the bar; our reservation isnā€™t until 8:05. There was a problem with the kitchen and they had to close the restaurant. We donā€™t fault them if there was a problem but the communication around it could have been handled better. They didnā€™t tell us until we went to ask because we saw workers coming out of the restaurant and talking to others that were waiting and then they would leave. When we asked a little after our reservation time they said our reservation would be cancelled but they had to close for the night.

We finished our drinks and headed to Shulaā€™s at the Dolphin. We sat at the bar. It was odd that you could still book Sebastianā€™s on the app for tonight and I received a notification that my table is ready at 8:40 from Sebastianā€™s when they said they would cancel the reservation. I was able to make a new reservation for Sebastianā€™s Bistro for tomorrow, hopefully weā€™ll get to give the restaurant a try.

C8B48737-2185-4633-BEDF-D465117FF0C2.jpeg

Scott had Bourbon (surprisingly not a Martini) and I stuck with water since I had my drink at Banana Cabana. Iā€™m a wimpy drinker and 1 is usually my limit. I forgot to take a picture of Scottā€™s Bourbon.

The bread is great here.
0CE46852-CB62-445C-B298-2751C93540D4.jpeg

For an appetizer we shared the Maryland Style Crab Cake: Jumbo lump crab, mustard, old bay seasoning with remoulade sauce. This was really good and filled with crab. It had avocado butter and a mustard remoulade.
92D7CA70-5315-4131-A6C1-AC441DFA303E.jpeg

For our entree we shared the dry rubbed cowboy steak (itā€™s not on the menu but was a special) and the macaroni & cheese. This steak is great, we really enjoyed it. The Mac & cheese is good here too. We brought back leftovers even sharing.

90958519-7A9E-43CB-918A-A379B3E862AC.jpeg
35BD1CD7-F5AE-46C0-B663-EE19E6B920DE.jpeg

For dessert we shared the chocolate souffle - delicious.
77F0DC51-3CAC-4C45-BE80-8640FCC74E21.jpeg
79EE48CB-979E-4F9E-95A3-4AC366492ACD.jpeg

We really enjoyed our dinner at Shulaā€™s. While the night didnā€™t go as originally planned, we still had a great time. We are pretty easy going and usually have a good time whatever we are doing.

Monday 10/3/22
We spent the day at Hollywood Studios.

We bought pop tarts at Woodyā€™s Lunch Box. A raspberry one and a Halloween one. We wrapped them up for later in ziploc baggies we brought with us for this. We nibbled on them over the next few days. I liked the raspberry one better but they were both good.

614BC882-DF8A-4F3F-AB70-37AAB5B6675C.jpeg
E8752D1F-09C9-4E3B-B527-CAF4A33629DD.jpeg

When we left the park later that afternoon we made a quick stop at Disney Springs to go to Gideonā€™s. We lucked out and there was just a short standby line. We were out with our cookies in about 20 minutes. We brought the cookies back to the villa and put them in freezer then headed back out.

We drove to Caribbean Beach Resort for our dinner reservation at Sebastianā€™s Bistro.

We were a little early and stopped for drinks first at Banana Cabana bar.
Scott had beer and a shot of tequila, same logic as last night that a martini isnā€™t good in a plastic cup.

I had Hoist the Colors: Cruzan mango and guava rums, Bols blue curaƧao and Minute Maid premium lemonade with pomegranate juice. This was OK but not as good as my drink from yesterday.

I forgot to take a picture of the drinks while we were at the bar, but youā€™ll see them on the table since we received a text that our table was ready pretty quickly.

We were happy they were open with a working kitchen today. This is the first time weā€™re eating here. Itā€™s very cute inside.

4E7A90AC-C540-4D1B-B7F6-D5E6514CFACB.jpeg

They brought Scott a glass to drink his beer from so he didnā€™t have to drink from the can or a plastic cup.

In addition to the regular meal we ordered the taste of the Caribbean enhancement: fried coconut shrimp with creamy chipotle dipping sauce. This was good.
87B89BEB-E4ED-4E5A-A1B6-408C82897F4F.jpeg

The meal is served family style.

Aside from the shrimp enhancement the rest is all included.

Buttery House baked pull-apart rolls with guava butter and caramelized onion jam. These rolls were very good. We ate them all.
1D8B9763-D66E-46E0-A515-82CC063ECBB9.jpeg

Spice Necklace salad: Mixed greens and kale with spiced candied pumpkin seeds, tropical fruit, and radish with key lime dressing. We both enjoyed the salad and finished this too.
C916F6F1-0202-49E0-AA28-D722FBFB7814.jpeg

Taste of the Caribbean: a selection of recipes inspired by the flavors of the Caribbean. Oven-roasted citrus chicken, slow-cooked mojo pork with mango sambal, grilled chili rubbed beef with mojito relish served with cilantro rice and beans, vegetable curry, and grilled seasonal vegetables.
92AAB2EF-A72A-4632-8407-D56EDC9E9F3F.jpeg
F01CB60C-DEFF-431C-BFB7-E2C3D09C5EFD.jpeg

They offered to bring us more of anything from the regular meal. We asked for a bit more chicken but didnā€™t finish the rest of the food.

Dessert is their Celebrated House-made coconut-pineapple bread pudding with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. This was pretty good, not quite Tambu Lounge level, but we enjoyed it.

98F5DB1E-7D6A-41E6-B048-EF2C2E6C5C00.jpeg
B5984DF6-DED5-49A3-B68B-9577B2315096.jpeg

We were pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed our meal. Itā€™s kind of a hidden gem; itā€™s very inexpensive for decent food.

Tuesday 10/4/22
We spent the day at Epcot

In France, at the Boulangerie (pastry type place) we bought macarons and an Almond/chocolate croissant (wrapped for later). We didnā€™t eat the macarons until we were home (back in New Jersey). They were good and since they were packaged so well, made the ride home without getting crushed. The croissant was surprisingly good. We shared it, picking at it over the next day or so.

8C2C11A9-5A66-4DC3-BD5E-92BCBCF7221D.jpeg

E2542D6E-1DE8-4C19-B134-D5C34228A5F1.jpeg

In Germany at the Caramel store, we bought a butter bar. We wrapped this up and it also came home with us. We didnā€™t like this one.

B6821140-3CA4-4E71-9A55-6DBEFBF475EA.jpeg

In Mexico, we waited on line at the food and wine festival booth for the Chocolate Bread Pudding. It wasnā€™t bad, but nowhere near as good as the pretzel bread pudding from Germany the other day. I figured that was a more fair comparison than to Tambu Lounge Bread Pudding which still is the holy grail of bread pudding. We didnā€™t finish the chocolate one from Mexico.

B8BA5F9B-6BCB-42A2-B448-001974912365.jpeg

At the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival Booth, Scott wanted to try the Spam sushi. This was surprisingly better than expected. It was also a decent size portion so pretty filling.
A3811CFE-FB0E-431E-8D79-33575E04D16C.jpeg

Tuesday 10/4/22 Continued
That evening we went to Abracadabar at the Boardwalk for a pre-dinner cocktail.

No surpriseā€¦Scott had a martini

I had a Magic Mirror: Bacardi Rum, Soda Water, Mango Syrup, Sprite, Lime Juice

We enjoyed our drinks and hanging out at the bar before dinner.

9C72C824-5E8D-407B-BBC6-947736349267.jpeg

We checked in for our dinner reservation at Trattoria Al Forno. They were running about 15 minutes behind schedule, but it was fine, we were at the bar hanging out. They came to get us when they were ready for us.

B9EABDA0-2F45-46B5-AC01-6BC2773E354E.jpeg

The bread is cute; itā€™s served in a little paper bag (to keep it warm maybe) and dipping sauce on the side (olive oil with an olive tapenade). I donā€™t like olives so just dip in the oil, but Scott enjoyed the tapenade.

85E90649-6BC5-4B4A-9A9B-187EC8CAD5B5.jpeg

We shared our dishes

Margarita Pizza which we added sausage and arugula to half of it
Pizze Margarita: Fresh mozzarella, crushed tomatoes, torn basil.
This was good, better than we expected it to be.

D2F96220-6687-46B2-9993-6A5868A0175B.jpeg

Lasagne al Forno: Blended Italian cheeses, beef, veal, pork, herb ricotta.
The shape of the lasagna is interesting, itā€™s not layers like Iā€™m used to seeing.
This was very good with an almost roasted red pepper sauce on top. The shape ended up being great since the outside could have more of those yummy crispy edges.

F301864B-E5AE-4499-9355-040B158472BC.jpeg

Side Polpette (meatball).
This came on a bed of polenta. I liked this more than Scott did. Heā€™s very picky about meatballs since he makes his own and they are always better than what we get in restaurants (same thing with the red sauce/gravy).

303DFEBF-F22D-4593-8289-5B3923C866A5.jpeg

This was way too much food and we had plenty of leftovers to bring back to the villa.

None of the desserts appealed to us (or maybe we were just too full) so we skipped ordering a dessert.

Instead we stopped at the Boardwalk Deli (which opened recently) and got several desserts to go. Boo Brownie, Half Moon (black/white) cookie, blueberry scone, and chocolate covered cream puff. We brought all the snacks back to the villa. We tasted the brownie and didnā€™t like it; it wasnā€™t normal brownie consistency and was very messy to try to eat. We also tasted the black/white cookie which I wasnā€™t thrilled with but Scott thought it was OK. The cookie base was chocolate rather than a normal yellow cookie. The cream puff ended up coming coming home (to New Jersey) with us and Scott said it was pretty good when he ate it. It got a little crushed (we froze it before bringing it home). The scone was good, we both picked on that over the next day or so.

2FAC5402-7727-4522-9702-1484E7D44A9C.jpeg

37DCFEEF-C34F-4106-9FAB-FEB8DE08A111.jpeg

C53B5FD9-6FCC-4BDB-B28B-10EE2FBD6BD6.jpeg

AF83B569-55EE-4934-9D63-62300D8D48DE.jpeg

I think they are trying to be a like New York deli with some of the items they have at the Boardwalk Deli but with a Disney spin on it. The only item of the ones we tried I would get again is the scone, but they had a nice selection so we would probably come back and try some other items.

Wednesday 10/5/22
We spent the day at Animal Kingdom

In the afternoon we headed to Disney Springs. We got on the Gideonā€™s standby line (maybe 20 minutes) and bought 6 cookies and a slice of Red Velvet (Valentina) cake.

The picture is later when we brought it back to the villa.

DED06EB1-12F1-41FD-BC16-475A0CCAC92F.jpeg

We went to the Boathouse for lunch and sat at the bar. We shared our food as we often do.

Scott had Hendricks with muddled cucumber (Surprisingly he didnā€™t have a martini)
I had a cute drinkā€¦Duck Duck Razz: Stoli Razz, Peach Schnapps, Blue CuraƧao, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup.

132F68AE-6004-4ACB-BD1F-51951444FED9.jpeg

We ordered 6 Wild Caught Sea of Cortez Shrimp: London Dry Gin cocktail sauce.
The shrimp are a good size and really tasty.

BA03A3E1-A644-4E53-983E-92AA878588B8.jpeg

Scott saw someone eating clam strips so wanted to try them.
Fried Atlantic clam strips: chipotle Tartar sauce and lemon.
These were pretty good.
143CA4E8-5DC4-4FE5-B1CE-70341D65867F.jpeg

I kept seeing plates of rolls being served to the tables around us, but we werenā€™t brought any. I asked the bartender and he brought us some. They are normally served at the tables but since we asked we were given some too even sitting at the bar. These were really good.
2E5E50BA-F9FD-4CBC-A334-1859480BF2AF.jpeg

We were enjoying our food and thought we were done but then Scott saw someone eating a crab cake which looked good so we ordered a crab cake with French fries
Jumbo Lump Crab Cake: Colesaw, chipotle tartar sauce. We said no cole slaw.
This was good, not a lot of filler in the crab so you tasted the crab. And the French fries were great.
6311FC5A-9552-4BD2-AAFC-F64D39F887DD.jpeg

Later that night our original plans were to head back to Disney Springs but we changed our mind. We didnā€™t have reservations tonight and were just planning to wing it. We decided to get pizza to go from Flippers (offsite Pizza place). We got a cheese pie half sausage. We brought the pizza back to the villa and watched a movie while we ate. Sometimes you just want something simple and easy.

A851EF43-7F13-44D8-9C00-BE50120100E2.jpeg

D793B4C3-9CAB-499C-8CFA-0854964FBB34.jpeg

Thank you for the fabulous reviews and pictures!

Was I correct to understand from many of your descriptions that you and your husband shared several meals, even at TS restaurants like Shula's?

If so, could you describe a little more about how you go about this? Do you each order a starter and then one entree and tell the waiter you are going to share the entree? If you do that, do they bring a second plate? Or do you share starters as well? I think I noticed some shared desserts.

I would love to do this because we are not big eaters and always find US portions to be excessively big, but my husband (being from Europe) is horrified at the suggestion of sharing, particularly at a TS restaurant because that would never be done abroad. I've tried to tell him it is acceptable, particularly at Disney, but he is not convinced. So we end up not doing TS because we hate paying for a ton of food that we can't finish. We end up going somewhere like the fish & chips window at Epcot and sharing one meal which is plenty for us, lol.

Side Polpette (meatball).
This came on a bed of polenta. I liked this more than Scott did. Heā€™s very picky about meatballs since he makes his own and they are always better than what we get in restaurants...
I can't be the only one who wants you to post Scott's meatball recipe...

Thank you for the fabulous reviews and pictures!

Was I correct to understand from many of your descriptions that you and your husband shared several meals, even at TS restaurants like Shula's?

If so, could you describe a little more about how you go about this? Do you each order a starter and then one entree and tell the waiter you are going to share the entree? If you do that, do they bring a second plate? Or do you share starters as well? I think I noticed some shared desserts.

I would love to do this because we are not big eaters and always find US portions to be excessively big, but my husband (being from Europe) is horrified at the suggestion of sharing, particularly at a TS restaurant because that would never be done abroad. I've tried to tell him it is acceptable, particularly at Disney, but he is not convinced. So we end up not doing TS because we hate paying for a ton of food that we can't finish. We end up going somewhere like the fish & chips window at Epcot and sharing one meal which is plenty for us, lol.
Hi

Yes - we share meals often including TS restaurants. We normally would just tell the waiter/waitress that we plan to share (usually weā€™re sharing appetizers, entree, and dessert). They donā€™t blink an eye; itā€™s pretty common given the large portion sizes. Appetizers will usually come on one plate and weā€™ll ask (if they donā€™t bring them automatically) for two small plates that weā€™ll eat off. Entrees in some places they split in the kitchen for us, otherwise theyā€™ll almost always bring a second plate. The only places you canā€™t share are those that are per person prices like buffets or fixed price places (ex. Oā€™Hana, California Grill 50th anniversary menu, etc).

Definitely donā€™t miss out on table service restaurants; enjoy and share your meals.

We do this at home too, including some fancy restaurants. Some places will have a sharing charge at home, but itā€™s usually minimal.

I can't be the only one who wants you to post Scott's meatball recipe...
LOL - he does a great job with making meatballs and sauce/gravy. I donā€™t know how to cook but Iā€™ll help with some things now. Iā€™ve started to make the balls out of the meatball mixture after he prepared it. Mainly because when I do it they are all pretty uniformly sized; his are always different sizes.

Thursday 10/6/22
We spent most of the day at Magic Kingdom.

We drove to Disney Springs and had lunch at Homecoming (where we were thinking of possibly going last night) and sat at the bar.

Scott had a Coke.
I had the White Peach Sangria: Peach moonshine, La Perlina Moscato and fresh peach purƩe muddled with orange and mango. Garnished with a moonshine-soaked peach wedge. This was very good.
00150BC1-3CE1-4EFB-8416-9F096E485E0B.jpeg

We shared our food as usual.

Thigh High Chicken Biscuits: Three biscuits topped with Chef Artā€™s famous fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles. Drizzled with hot honey.

We each ate one of the biscuits and brought the third one back for later. I take the pickles off (I donā€™t like pickles). These were very good today.
D76411FA-8009-4755-8357-5BC3EF61C9D9.jpeg

We also ordered French fries as well as braised kale and collards.
CD15494C-9298-45EC-A21E-F9D745F9F7CF.jpeg

E4014643-307B-4CB4-B3FD-730E3DB583C2.jpeg

We enjoyed our lunch at Homecoming.

Walking around Disney Springs we stopped at Earl of Sandwich and picked up two sandwiches that weā€™ll bring with us for our car ride home. Scott ordered the Turkey Holiday Sandwich. I ordered the Original (with the sauce on the side).

Later that night for dinner we drove to the Polynesian and went back to Tambu Lounge.

Since I had an alcoholic drink earlier today I had the Keiki Lemonade (Non alcoholic): Minute Maid premium lemonade, pineapple, passion fruit, and citrus. This is very tasty.

Scott had a martini.

E646DA8E-728C-4FD7-A1E6-A67A2B5E27F3.jpeg

We ordered the potstickers. These were really good tonight.

F64A0E65-2883-4E27-8EBC-28707358123B.jpeg

We tried the spicy tuna roll which was fresh tasting and we enjoyed it.

88797558-AC66-4784-8374-13E8DCF51C8B.jpeg

The star of course is the Bread Pudding.

D782317C-C440-4C04-887E-69C6E57A5209.jpeg

Friday 10/7/22 - Start the drive home
We left about 9:45am. The car says itā€™s 1,107 miles until we are home.

We were in Georgia by 1pm and walked around the Welcome center a bit. When we left Georgia we ate our Earl of Sandwich sandwiches that we picked up yesterday. They arenā€™t quite as good cold as they are when they are fresh.
74CAF48C-03D9-409A-A42C-235E0D8F9465.jpeg
1E859F1C-E0A0-4162-9A89-7ACDEA66CECD.jpeg

We ended up deciding to stop at the same Residence Inn in Florence SC that we stopped at on the way down. We booked it while driving. The main reason we chose it was we had the frozen Gideonā€™s cookies and we wanted somewhere that would have a full freezer so they wouldnā€™t defrost. We knew this place had that and I was having trouble finding somewhere else that did. Iā€™m sure there are other places that have what we were looking for but this was easy.

We arrived a little before 6pm, checked in, and brought the bags in from the car. By 6:15 we had the cookies in the freezer and had our stuff in the room.

We walked to the nearby Outback Steakhouse for dinner and sat at the bar.

I originally wanted to try the Blueberry Lavender lemonade, but they were out of it so I ordered a different drink special. I ended up happy they were out of the Blueberry drink since the one I ended up with was great.

I had the Pina Koala: A twist on a classic pina colada. Bacardi superior rum, Disaronno Amaretto, coconut and pineapple juice hand-shaken and served straight up with a. Cinnamon sugar rim and edible sugar art.

Scott, had something other than a martini tonightā€¦he had a Makers Bourbon.

F1C89AFA-1111-4C4C-960B-0805D56C16BF.jpeg

716FA637-0367-412B-BC8B-B8C58D65145A.jpeg

We didnā€™t order appetizers tonight.

I had the Perfectly Grilled Salmon: Seasoned and grilled, served with our classic remoulade sauce. I had this with rice and vegetables. I enjoyed this.
B30AC387-48CF-4E0B-9B8A-C05F253D7684.jpeg

Scott had the Prime Rib Sandwich: Tender slow-roasted prime rib, grilled onions and mushrooms, provolone cheese and our signature bloom sauce on toasted baguette. He didnā€™t get the bloom sauce on it, just plain. Served with a side of French onion au jus and creamy horseradish sauce. He had Aussie fries as his side. Scott liked his sandwich. I had a few of his fries which were yummy.
83990AB2-B3D0-41A2-9CDB-4A3C16C15DE8.jpeg

For dessert we shared the Butter Cake: sweet and rich butter cake topped with strawberries and house-made whipped cream. We both enjoyed this.
5FAC2F43-B397-4AFB-911E-B83C462F5582.jpeg

Hi

Yes - we share meals often including TS restaurants. We normally would just tell the waiter/waitress that we plan to share (usually weā€™re sharing appetizers, entree, and dessert). They donā€™t blink an eye; itā€™s pretty common given the large portion sizes. Appetizers will usually come on one plate and weā€™ll ask (if they donā€™t bring them automatically) for two small plates that weā€™ll eat off. Entrees in some places they split in the kitchen for us, otherwise theyā€™ll almost always bring a second plate. The only places you canā€™t share are those that are per person prices like buffets or fixed price places (ex. Oā€™Hana, California Grill 50th anniversary menu, etc).

Definitely donā€™t miss out on table service restaurants; enjoy and share your meals.

We do this at home too, including some fancy restaurants. Some places will have a sharing charge at home, but itā€™s usually minimal.
Thatā€™s what we did our entire trip. It allows us to try so many more things. Iā€™m planning on writing up reviews after the holidays.

I dream about those chicken thigh biscuits. SO good. Love Tambu but I think I need to be more strategic with my timing because it always seems so crowded. Bartenders there are great! Serious respect that the frozen Gideon's cookies were your deciding factor for stopover on the way home -- priorities!!! I'm curious to hear how you enjoy them after frozen and do you just defrost on the counter or warm in the microwave or oven? Any special way you package them before freezing? The sugar art with your Pina Koala is adorable!

I dream about those chicken thigh biscuits. SO good. Love Tambu but I think I need to be more strategic with my timing because it always seems so crowded. Bartenders there are great! Serious respect that the frozen Gideon's cookies were your deciding factor for stopover on the way home -- priorities!!! I'm curious to hear how you enjoy them after frozen and do you just defrost on the counter or warm in the microwave or oven? Any special way you package them before freezing? The sugar art with your Pina Koala is adorable!
Hi. We dream about that bread pudding from Tambu Lounge. We found that even if itā€™s crowded when we first arrive, most people leave relatively quickly. I would also get frustrated if we got there and didnā€™t see any seats, Scott is the voice of reason who would remind me that people will get up.

That was the priority - after all the time and effort to get the Gideonā€™s cookies we didnā€™t want them to defrost then need to be refrozen. Even though that happened on one of our trips back and they were still fine. Nothing fancy with packaging them, I just put the cookies (still individually wrapped in their Gideonā€™s paper) into zip lock bags then put them in the freezer. I group the cookies by the type (ex. Chocolate chip, Crumb cake, etc) and use a sharpie to note on the zip lock what type it is.

When we want to eat one, we just pop it in the microwave. I like them cold/hard where Scott likes them warm/mushy. So weā€™ll microwave just for maybe 15 seconds (enough to cut the cookie in half) then microwave his half for another 20 seconds or so. They come out great.

Saturday 10/8/22
We were up about 4:45. We skipped the gym, just got showered and ready to head out.
We left about 6:25am

614A2C69-26C3-4180-80CE-FB24FDE2B5E9.jpeg

We were in North Carolina by 7
Virginia by 10

There was a lot of traffic in Virginia so it took a while to get to Maryland. We didnā€™t get to Maryland until 1:30

We stopped to pick up some lunch. Scott wanted McDonaldā€™s. I havenā€™t had McDonaldā€™s in ages. I had a plain cheeseburger (nothing on it), we shared an order of french fries. Scott had a double cheeseburger and a hamburger. Whatā€™s with mustard on burgers in certain states? They donā€™t do that in NY/NJ, but we had to specify no mustard here. McDonaldā€™s has fantastic French fries, especially when they are fresh and crispy. We both enjoyed McDonaldā€™s. I forgot to take pictures.

We were home about 6:30.

Scott picked up sushi for dinner from a local place we like. I forgot to take a pictures.

We had the Gideonā€™s Red Velvet ā€œValentinaā€ cake for dessert. This was great. The frosting to cake ratio was much better than the Oreo cake we had during the hurricane. The cake made it home safely.

3C1D0D7C-00CB-4CED-AE1D-1A205C84724A.jpeg

B3D4A07D-D4C6-4C58-A46C-6C2373BE8D89.jpeg

Sunday 10/9/22
Today was the usual after vacation ā€œstuffā€. We unpacked, did more laundry, went grocery shopping, went through the mail, gave the kitties some extra attention, etc.

Still being in vacation mode we went out to dinner to an Italian restaurant we like in Paramus NJ - Biagioā€™s. Itā€™s maybe 30 minutes from home, not fancy but consistent. We sat at the bar.

I had White Sangria - they make this really good here. Scott had a Martini.
2A0E5104-BD2A-491D-B47B-6024808449C6.jpeg

The bread is really good and itā€™s hard to not finish the basket
F845AE83-20E2-4CF0-B82F-D79AE8293C09.jpeg

For an appetizer we shared the fried calamari.
E6CFC356-0397-44E2-BDB8-404CDA15F06F.jpeg

For an entree we shared the Veal Chop Parmigiana. Look at the size of this thing. Even sharing we have leftovers and have another meal out of it. Itā€™s really good too. Instead of spaghetti/linguini which it normally comes with we prefer penne shaped pasta.

9AAF9F84-1622-4FA2-823E-209E094AC343.jpeg

We got our dessert to go - rainbow cake for me and chocolate cake for Scott. The desserts take us two nights to eat also, they are pretty big pieces of cake.
FCF1D0E5-EBE0-4EA8-9407-6C973E38748F.jpeg
22D89445-2CFA-46E9-B396-8F016267D712.jpeg

I know itā€™s not Disney, but itā€™s a great place so wanted to include as our last vacation dinner for completeness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter