• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Review - September/October 2022

Tuesday 9/27/22
We spent the day at Epcot.

That evening we drove to the Dolphin for our dinner reservation at Shula’s and valet parked.

We sat at the bar for pre-dinner cocktails. I ordered a blueberry martini (the bartender recommended/said it was their best drink); Scott had a regular martini. The popcorn they served with our drinks was good, like kettle corn. Or maybe we were just hungry.

View attachment 720118

I didn’t like the blueberry martini so ordered a White Sangria. The white sangria was very good.

View attachment 720119

We decided to stay at the bar to eat dinner. Scott let the hostess/person who checked us in for dinner know.

The bread they serve is warm and delicious, so hard not to fill up on it. We ate the whole loaf they served us.
View attachment 720120

For an appetizer we shared the Tuna Tartare which is served with wonton chips. I thought it was good, Scott thought it wasn’t as good as last time we were here. We both loved it last trip.
View attachment 720126

For our entree we shared the Dry Aged Cowboy Steak special (not on the menu) and an order of macaroni & cheese. The steak came out a bit too rare initially so they cooked it more. It was perfect when It came back. The steak was delicious. They brought us a new order of Mac & cheese since it took a little while. While I can take or leave Mac & cheese most of the time, this was a very good Mac & cheese. Even sharing we had leftovers (partly due to us eating all that bread).
View attachment 720121
View attachment 720122

We also knew we needed to save a little room for dessert. We shared the chocolate souffle. This is amazing. The simple vanilla ice cream cuts the richness of the souffle perfectly.
View attachment 720123
View attachment 720124
View attachment 720125

With Hurricane Ian heading towards Orlando, we saw the note that Disney will close the parks on Wednesday September 28 and Thursday September 29
We love Shula's. We had left overs and even reheating them 3 days later at the Villa they were amazing, and IMHO premium steakhouses should offer premium desserts like soufflé. :guilty: now I want Shula's :rotfl2:

We love Shula's. We had left overs and even reheating them 3 days later at the Villa they were amazing, and IMHO premium steakhouses should offer premium desserts like soufflé. :guilty: now I want Shula's :rotfl2:
LOL - We ate Shula’s several days in a row this trip. We really enjoyed it.
Me too - I could go for that souffle right about now (rather than the baby carrots I’m eating)

Thursday 9/29/22
In the morning, we were still advised to remain in our villa.
We were lucky and didn’t lose power.

We made breakfast and just hung out.

In the afternoon, after the storm passed, we took a walk around the resort. The water in the lake/pond was much higher and the bottoms of the trees were under water. There were some branches around but it didn’t look too bad. We decided to take a drive to Publix and Starbucks but everything we drove by was still closed. At the resort the Marketplace was open.

Later that evening we started checking online to see what was open for dinner. We already received notice that our originally planned Disney restaurant (Jiko) was still closed. Not much was open.

We found a nearby Carrabas and Miller’s Ale House both listed as open. Disney is supposed to open tomorrow.

We drove to Carrabas but it was jam packed. We left and drove to the Dolphin when we saw Shula’s is open. They didn’t have valet parking tonight but we just parked ourselves.

We sat at the bar for dinner. They had a limited menu.

I’ll post the pictures of the menu since it’s a subset of the regular menu. Despite being short staffed I thought they did a great job.

DD1B0CC0-27B0-4549-ABCD-41E01D43C899.jpeg

B50551E6-7867-4C99-8B52-7E9F35E7B3B1.jpeg

Everyone we spoke with seemed in good spirits and we were all talking about the hurricane and how everyone fared. I know many people suffered severe damage, but Orlando (or maybe just the Disney area) didn’t seem as bad as people were expecting it to be.

I had a white sangria and Scott had a martini.

76746997-6865-4636-9C30-8EC7B6C87358.jpeg

The bread was good as it always is.
3C63D6CB-6988-4547-A8B0-882951CAE0DC.jpeg

For our entree we shared the filet, the broccoli, and the Mac & cheese.
DF72A995-0086-49D4-9284-4488BE21BEF5.jpeg
50633B6E-4017-44F0-936C-122AF3579CB3.jpeg
44789524-E0D1-4C69-9580-47FA11A74F33.jpeg

All our food was really good. As we were eating we were amused that we’ve eaten food from Shula’s 3 days in a row (including our hurricane meal); and we’re still enjoying it.

For dessert we shared the chocolate cake.
5399A15E-A270-443D-B2E8-6D8C7634B417.jpeg

The souffle is my favorite dessert here, but this was pretty good too.

Even sharing we had some leftovers that we brought back with us.

We were happy to be out and about again, chatting with other people, listening to everyone’s stories, happy that the cast members we spoke to were doing well.

Last edited:
Friday 9/30/22
We started the day at Hollywood Studios.

In the afternoon we hopped to Epcot (via the skyliner)

As we wandered around World Showcase, we had a few items.

In America Scott ordered the Crab Slider from the Food & Wine Festival Booth. He said it was too salty.
014FAEFD-B37F-4009-AF4C-AF8131B5DD5F.jpeg

The Coke in a cute bottle hit the spot.
33505009-7A18-4B91-A9CB-505FD12B11B6.jpeg

In Germany Scott had the bratwurst in pretzel bread (no mustard) from the Food & Wine booth. This was also too salty.
C0CC9A68-289F-4E25-AA16-F991C21BD09A.jpeg

The next treat wasn’t from a Festival Booth, but the regular quick service place in Germany. Pretzel Bread Pudding. This was very good; I would definitely get this again. It’s not Tambu Lounge good, but it’s still very good.
82D942A1-DFA2-46FC-87EC-295C77A12F18.jpeg

In China we tried the Passion Fruit Bubble Tea from the festival booth. This was OK, just OK, and was thrown out after a few sips.
39749A58-F336-4622-A0E4-7C690BFB640B.jpeg

We took the skyliner back to Hollywood Studios and spent some more time there.

Friday 9/30/22 Continued
For dinner later, we didn’t have reservations, but we drove to the Polynesian to go to the Tambu Lounge around 8:15.

Scott had a Martini.

I had a Lapu Lapu: Plantation Original Dark rum and tropical fruit juices served in a fresh pineapple topped with goslings 151 rum. I’m glad I finally tried this (after seeing all the drinks in pineapples go by) but I probably would not get it again. There was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn’t my favorite drink.

7860EAE6-EE5F-4B68-9900-0A12DEF120C5.jpeg

There is an appetizer menu at the bar. We enjoyed having the various appetizers for dinner.

We ordered a California Roll: Jumbo crab, citrus mayonnaise, cucumber, avocado, tobiko. This was just OK; it was kind of dry.
AF574245-E2CE-4E8C-9F91-1AFCAECA8CE2.jpeg

We ordered Pot Stickers: Pork and vegetable dumplings tossed in a chili-garlic sauce. We both enjoyed these a lot and would definitely get them again.
568A5D5C-9CBC-4D9B-8415-CA4199249935.jpeg

We ordered the noodles, which wasn’t on the appetizer bar menu but they are the O’Hana noodles. I put the pot sticker dipping sauce on them and they were pretty good. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them, but they were pretty good.
714D87D5-FF50-4A07-9365-9C75A06D1428.jpeg

We also ordered the Kaikane’s Barbecued Pork Ribs: Marinated pork ribs. Korean-style barbecue sauce, pickled peppers, pineapple slaw. These were terrible. We each took a bite and that was it. They were way too salty and tangy.
C3C0C0F1-8CB0-48CA-B85D-FA036908C127.jpeg

The star of the show was the Pineapple Bread pudding. Delicious as always.
6A71010E-F8FC-41DC-9450-39863FB3EC8D.jpeg
EB2735D1-FA98-429B-BB1E-EBFBC7E46F30.jpeg

Thank you so much for sharing. Enjoying your dining reviews and pictures.

Does the pretzel bread pudding actually taste like pretzels? Or is it more of a “pretzel bread”…not really tasting like pretzel but just the chewy texture.

Does the pretzel bread pudding actually taste like pretzels? Or is it more of a “pretzel bread”…not really tasting like pretzel but just the chewy texture.
Hi. It didn’t really taste like a pretzel nor did it have a chewy texture. It wasn’t overly sweet which sometimes bread pudding can be. The bread had a hint of salt to cut the sweetness that the sauce provided. A nice blend of salt & sweet.

Saturday 10/1/22
We spent the day at Animal Kingdom.

That evening we drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge for our dinner reservation at Jiko.

We were intentionally a little early so we could go to the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail. The seats at the bar weren’t the most comfortable but we weren’t there that long.
50D9DB3C-9F03-48E9-9422-5DB5E9CBA6FC.jpeg

Scott had a martini.
I had the Jungle Punch: House-made vanilla/pineapple vodka infusion, chipotle pineapple syrup, pineapple juice. The bartender recommended this as their best cocktail. It was good. It had a little bit of heat/spice to it, but not overly spicy.

78B62FC4-1D8B-4129-9F84-A244D137E44D.jpeg

We were seated right at our reservation time. The chairs are much more comfortable in the actual restaurant.
44417291-DA83-494D-BEBA-24A2BFB70971.jpeg

We shared two appetizers
Braised Wild Boar Tenderloin: Creamy pap, Chakalaka tomatoes, herb-smoked oil. This was good. Better than I expected. I never tried wild boar before. We really liked the little ball looking things on the dish, but couldn’t figure out what they were.
38D299E8-D173-47CE-976D-4B9423CCEEBC.jpeg

We also shared the Duck Confit and Honey-Raisin flatbread: Preserved duck, rocket, toasted chickpeas, mozzarella, plump raisins, harissa, spiced honey. This was way too spicy for me, I took one bite and that was it. We had this dish before on our last trip and while it was a bit spicy I was able to eat it. Scott enjoyed it but even he said it was too spicy.
A3BDF3C0-1CCD-400A-A406-EB36E8A143E5.jpeg

The bread is good, different than the normal bread in most restaurants.
F9B12EBA-6998-4743-B74A-64DD02FA3ABB.jpeg

For our entree we shared Oak-grilled filet mignon: four cheese macaroni, rainbow cauliflower, chocolate-red wine Demi-glacé. This was good and it was very nice of them to split the dish in the kitchen for us. This is a picture of my half of the dish.
967BA192-17AF-4F25-879D-1A0FD1B60F34.jpeg

Scott also ordered the enhancement Bobotie Mac & Cheese: Four-cheese, wagyu, almonds, raisins, kachumbari, red wine reduction. I didn’t like this one, but the plain Mac & cheese that came with the filet was pretty good. Scott like this special Mac & cheese.
D96FAEEF-2DA6-40FB-B9C2-CD3CAFDF4A07.jpeg

The food was good, but not as good as our last visit.

We skipped dessert deciding we had a different dessert in mind…I’m sure you can guess where we headed next.

They gave us little guava (I think) gummies that we liked. Scott ate his gummy before I could take the picture but there were originally two of them on the plate.
B804A0E6-85CD-48FD-82D2-774A4ACD5A06.jpeg

Your drink at Jiko sounds delicious! Sorry the food wasn’t as good as in previous visits. It sure looked good!

Your drink at Jiko sounds delicious! Sorry the food wasn’t as good as in previous visits. It sure looked good!
Hi. You have a good point, maybe I was being too harsh. The only disappointment really was the pizza being too spicy. Everything else was good. The drink was very good.

Thank you for making me realize that

Hi. You have a good point, maybe I was being too harsh. The only disappointment really was the pizza being too spicy. Everything else was good. The drink was very good.

Thank you for making me realize that
Well looks can be deceiving! Their presentation is always so nice but the flavor has to be there too. I also understand having high expectations based on previous great experiences!

Lol Scott sounds like a man who knows what he wants to drink. :rotfl2: I’m also a Scott and I go for a bourbon every time instead of the martini. Must be something about us Scotts

Really enjoying your report. I have never been to Shula's and I really must change that as I hear so many good things about it, and specifically the experience sitting at the bar. Have you ever tried Flying Fish? That's my absolute favorite bar to sit at for just drinks or a full meal. Sorry the hurricane messed with your plans a bit. That wild boar tenderloin at Jiko is one of my favorite dishes anywhere on property. I'm not sure if they still do but they used to be willing to serve a double portion as an entree. Looking forward to more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter