Did you go out for pizza as a kid?

I grew up in the 70's.I didn't even know what pepperoni pizza was until I was in Jr. High. All I had ever had were those crappy little frozen cheese pizzas. My sister and I only got McDonalds/Burger King twice a year when we went school/summer clothes shopping. Dairy Queen was occasional if we were traveling and my Dad felt like a having a Belt Buster :)

Never, that I can remember. I grew up in the 60’s and early 70’s. I remember occasionally going to Burger Chef and Hamburger Heaven, and a few times going to a buffet place in Saginaw called the Sweden House.

The only pizza I remember as a kid was Chef Boyardee.

I grew up in the sixties. Always went out or brought in a pie. Go into any pizza joint in Joisey and you'll be asked, "Whaddaya want on your pie?"

It's called a slice (and it's oversized) if you order a single piece.

Last edited:
We got pizza every Friday night but never went out for it. Our local place had buy 4 pizzas get one free so we'd get 5 small pizzas for the 7 of us. ans that was the only time we ever got soda during the week.

In the 80's... I had SO MANY coupons for free personal pan pizza from the BookIt! program .... so yeah, Pizza Hut was a popular weekend outing. My parents would get the buffet :)

I get all nostalgic for those red plastic cups from the Pizza Hut dining room! HAHAHA

Friday was "Mom doesn't cook night" It was either pizza or subs, local places in the Northeast that were so good. It was take out though, very rarely ate in.

My parents were never too fond of pizza. Occasionally we'd go out and my brother and I would get a slice while my parents had something like a meatball sandwich or Italian dinner.

Maybe once a year they'd get a takeout pizza for us while they ate something else. The same with occasional frozen or Chefboyardee pizzas.

We did go out to eat quite frequently. Practically every Sunday and often during the week as well. But those were at standard restaurants or the diner. Rarely for pizza.

Every couple of paydays our parents would get us a meal out. McDonalds or pizza or rarely Chinese. There were 7 of us and we were dirt poor so it was a huge treat.

My parents actually still go to the same pizza place. They've come to know the owner over the years. New Year's Eve he always pours my dad a glass of champagne and they share a toast when he picks up pizza and wings.

We ordered take out pizza a lot from the chains, but going to the sit-down locally owned place (Tony's Pizzaria) with the red & white checkered table cloths and Tony's whole family working there, was a special treat. We'd get pizza and a pitcher of pop for the table. I still remember how great it was.

I remember going to the Brighton Laines Pizza Express and sitting in a high chair... the adults had directors chairs. I was only a few years old and refused to eat anything but garlic bread, but hey, it was fun!

margherita-489x318.ashx

Grew up in the 80’s. Split family.

My dad took us to Pizza Inn every Thursday night (kids eat free).
It was like Cici’s pizza buffet with a salad bar. I ate a TON of the chocolate pudding LOL

My mom would take us to Pizza Hut on the weekends after ball games.

I do not like pizza now probably because I had it so often as a kid.

I grew up in the 60s/70's. We had tons of pizza "parlors" in our town. We didn't' get a McDonalds until 1978, but we had lots of pizza. I'm from the west coast.

My family had pizza probably twice a month out and also the chef boyardee box or frozen. It was cheaper than a regular restaurant. I did have lots of friends who never went out though.

You haven't really had pizza until you've had it in Italy. And don't get it in a hotel, they're rip-offs. Good pizza, just so expensive. Rather, walk into town a few minutes and you will be swamped with pizzareas. Oh, and the gelato for afterwards...

We had take in or ate out every Friday night when I was a kid- my dads favorite was Arbys (I hated that!) so it was either Arbys, Pizza, Chicken Delight or we ate out at a local Italian Restaurant. I got my first paper route at 11 and I know after that I would ride my bike with friends to the pizza place for slices at least once a week and we would eat in the diner every once in awhile. I was born in 63 so this was the 60's and 70's. I also remember every Friday night my dad would come home from work and bring a special treat home for me and my brother- sometimes it was an ice cream, other times those hostess cherry pies or a donut. We would wait by the living room window for him to pull up at 6:30 to see what he got us!
Oh, those family traditions create such long lasting memories.

My dad and I used to go to a Drugstore/Soda fountain for a milk shake and get those cheddar cheese flavored crackers with peanut butter in the middle every Sunday after church. He passed away over 50 years ago just before I turned 10, and I still remember those Sundays warmly. I don't remember eating much fast food in my dad's lifetime. I do have memories of going out to a real restaurants, 2 in particular, with my dad and mom. One closed about 3 years ago after 60 years in business, the other is still open and a civic group I belong to meets there for lunch every other month. That restaurant has been in continuous operation since 1935 and is still owned by the same family.

My kids.....they are 27 and 31 now.....every Friday after school we went to my mom's house for a couple of hours where she would load them up with little snacks....things like pizza rolls, and homemade jam and toast, and cheese cubes, and candy . They never had room for dinner after that, which made my wife mad, but she understood how important those visits were.

And on Sunday at noon, we'd pickup McDonalds and all go to my MIL's house for a few hours. I bet neither of my kids has had McDonalds food in years, but they cherish those Sunday times with that Grandma.

We never went out for pizza but I used to help Mom make those box pizzas every Sunday. We would throw a towel over the dough and set it on our floor heater so it would rise. And after we would eat the two skinny little pizzas we would get to make Jiffy popcorn. Sunday nights were so much fun! :goodvibes

You haven't really had pizza until you've had it in Italy. And don't get it in a hotel, they're rip-offs. Good pizza, just so expensive. Rather, walk into town a few minutes and you will be swamped with pizzareas. Oh, and the gelato for afterwards...

Domo, clearly you've never been to Chicago! LOL ;)

I was a kid in the late 50s/60s. I don't remember having take out pizza; if we had pizza, it was frozen, and just cheese. UGH. Finally, in the early 70s, I had dinner one night at my boyfriend's house and it was pizza: Real, hot, cheesy, doughy, delicious pizza. I'd never known this manna from heaven existed! I was SHOCKED the first time I had pepperoni pizza, or green pepper and onion! How did we miss out on all this? There were a couple of pizza parlors near where we lived; we just never went there. Once I found out about real pizza, my mom capitulated and would occasionally buy pizza. DELICIOUS!!! I still love pizza, even though I really cannot eat it anymore (bariatric surgery... about 3 bites of crust and I'm done- now I just eat the toppings, and it's sure not the same).

I'm 51, so a child of the seventies and early eighties. We never went out for pizza, or any fast food, unless we were traveling somewhere. When I was about 15, my folks would get pizza on Friday or Saturday nights. When I could drive, my friends and I would go out, using money from jobs.

Pizza Hut dine-in the 80's. We rarely dined out. I do remember always looking forward to Pizza Fridays at school. Now with my teens at school it's Pizza option every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter