Did you get anything special in room due for a celebration?

For our celebration , in our room, we got a

• balloon

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • card

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • other

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • nothing

Votes: 31 64.6%

• Total voters
I don't understand this the expectation of free things simply because someone says they are having a celebration. Hundreds of people at WDW are "celebrating" things all the time. Many people are celebrating their "birthday" or "anniversary" a month in advance. It's all the honor system - no proof needs to be provided to demonstrate it's a legitimate event.

From an operational standpoint, it's really impossible for WDW to make a special occasion every time someone indicates they are having a "celebration." People wear those giant buttons for the duration of their trip expecting things. It's a bizarre sense of entitlement.

I can't believe the one poster tracked someone down at Crystal Palace to get a SECOND free cupcake for another child who wasn't even celebrating anything.

The OP asked about in-room special treatment in DVC resorts - but I'm guessing without much thought behind the question...

Whether we're talking about birthday cards or glasses of champagne, who do you suppose is paying for the extra special treatment?

DVC is a timeshare and not a hotel. Hotels can pay for extras by charging more for the rooms. Extras for DVC would be paid for out of the annual dues. I'm not loving the idea of paying extra in dues for this sort of thing...

We've stayed non-DVC annually on my birthday (late August) for years now: not once has the resort done anything (we always have it marked on the reservation). Last year my awesome TA noted on my BC reservation that it was my 50th - still nothing. (And Disney certainly knows my birthday - its in MDE.) Just so you don't think anything is routinely happening at non-DVC stays.

Thank you for all the replies. I guess the stories of getting this or that are really few and far between.

I don't understand this the expectation of free things simply because someone says they are having a celebration. Hundreds of people at WDW are "celebrating" things all the time. Many people are celebrating their "birthday" or "anniversary" a month in advance. It's all the honor system - no proof needs to be provided to demonstrate it's a legitimate event.

From an operational standpoint, it's really impossible for WDW to make a special occasion every time someone indicates they are having a "celebration." People wear those giant buttons for the duration of their trip expecting things. It's a bizarre sense of entitlement.

I can't believe the one poster tracked someone down at Crystal Palace to get a SECOND free cupcake for another child who wasn't even celebrating anything.

And I suspect that was what ruined it. When it was a special surprise that Disney could do for an anniversary or a birthday or a honeymoon - it was a small expense that made a big impact. I remember champagne and roses for my honeymoon 30 years ago.

When it became a well known thing that was an expectation, and then became the "Megan's birthday is six weeks from then, lets celebrate it at Disney to get balloons in the room" it became a bigger expense (more people) where if it didn't happen, there was disappointment - or, for those who believed they were truly entitled to something they weren't entitled to at all, arguments and anger. Delight is important to Disney, but meeting expectations is the minimum.

With the outrageous prices the hotels charge, you would think they could do something, like a card or housekeeping making a towel heart on the bed for anniversaries.

And I suspect that was what ruined it. When it was a special surprise that Disney could do for an anniversary or a birthday or a honeymoon - it was a small expense that made a big impact. I remember champagne and roses for my honeymoon 30 years ago.

When it became a well known thing that was an expectation, and then became the "Megan's birthday is six weeks from then, lets celebrate it at Disney to get balloons in the room" it became a bigger expense (more people) where if it didn't happen, there was disappointment - or, for those who believed they were truly entitled to something they weren't entitled to at all, arguments and anger. Delight is important to Disney, but meeting expectations is the minimum.

I remember a story some years ago, when it was very common to get a dessert at TS for your birthday, one guest wished another guest happy birthday, the guest whispered back, it's not really my birthday. I just wear the pin every time I come. Seems she came to disney a few times a year and it was always her birthday.

Glad I read this thread. DH and I are traveling July 7-12 and when asked if we were celebrating anything, I told MS my husband's birthday, which actually is on July 6. Was hoping there might be a towel "Mickey" head on the bed or something minor just to let him know I had put forth that little bit of Disney effort, but I am certainly not going to be upset if there isn't. Our DD received little things on her high school graduation trip, just bc she had her button on, not bc we asked. Just glad I know not to expect it now. This is our first DVC trip as owners and we are just glad to be going!! I can get him a button at the front desk and hit the parks and enjoy the vacation that is long overdue. Thanks to everyone for their input and comments, bc this really did clarify something for me on what to expect and not expect.

If it were super important to me, I would point out the celebration when I checked in for a meal. I could only imagine how many of those notes disappear in the ADR abyss. But I never care much and I never expected anything in my room. Restaurants it is customary at many both Disney and other areas to have a birthday treat. We don't really expect anything like most things Disney things change regularly, plus if they are super busy, I am sure many get missed as well.

If it were super important to me, I would point out the celebration when I checked in for a meal. I could only imagine how many of those notes disappear in the ADR abyss. But I never care much and I never expected anything in my room. Restaurants it is customary at many both Disney and other areas to have a birthday treat. We don't really expect anything like most things Disney things change regularly, plus if they are super busy, I am sure many get missed as well.

My DS did mention our 40th anniversary and our DGS birthday at Crystal Palace at checkin and nothing happened. As we were leaving, I asked a manager for a cupcake for DGS since I had seen other cupcakes and heard one singing of happy birthday.

We spent part of our honeymoon at WDW 20+ years ago and got nothing.

About 8-10 years ago, we planned a large group dinner at Le Cellier on my wife's birthday. Rather than leave anything to chance, I found a number to call and order a custom cake. It was fairly expensive even for the time. I think $30+ for a small round cake to feed 8, with simple custom decor. Cake was there waiting for us. The staff sang & served everything nicely for our group.

If I wanted to guarantee a modest surprise for a child, I'd be discretely proactive about it. At the resort, stop by the front desk and say "my ___ has a birthday tomorrow. How can I arrange to have a card and a balloon sent up to the room?" 99 times out of 100 the cast member will be glad to schedule it for free. Or they should refer to you to Disney Florist to buy something.

As an adult, we've received a card/photo/balloon maybe 4-5 times over the years. But it's best to have zero expectations. Again, if you want to surprise a spouse, either stop at the front desk and inquire or order an arrangement from the florist.

Our trip, our DGS had a birthday 2 weeks ago and we have our 40th anniversary in two weeks. DS got a room ready text while on ME, so he didn't need to go to front desk. Our room wasn't ready, so I had checked with the front desk a few times before the room was ready.

I was surprised the front desk didn't make any comment on our anniversary . After a day or so we asked for buttons for us and DGS.

During the course of the week, I was kind of hoping for a card or something in our rooms. We nor our DGS got anything. After all, why do they ask if you are celebrating something.......

I just spoke with member services and she told me they don't do cards, balloons or towels animals anymore. The only thing is buttons.

I know I've read people getting things, but maybe they were in "regular" resorts, not DVC.
For DD’s birthday, she got a free cupcake at every table service restaurant after seeing her button, but we got nothing in the room.

On our actual anniversary, we got cupcakes and a wedding anniversary card signed by characters at Cape May Cafe.

With the outrageous prices the hotels charge, you would think they could do something, like a card or housekeeping making a towel heart on the bed for anniversaries.
My thoughts exactly.

For those of us that schedule our vacations so that we are legitimately celebrating in WDW on the actual date, a token of acknowledgement would be greatly appreciated especially since they make a point of inquiring about whether or not we are celebrating a special occasion during our stay.

Disney should be consistent and either mark the occasion with something special or not. If not then 1. Stop asking the question and 2. Stop giving out the stupid buttons.

On our honeymoon, six and a half years ago, two special things stuck out to me: confetti and champagne on the table at the Brown Derby, and “Mr.” and “Mrs.” embroidery on the bride and groom ears we purchased “on the Mouse”. We were utterly delighted but never expected a thing. For our 5 year anniversary dinner at BoG, our wonderful waitress brought us a taste of the Grey Stuff. When we celebrated my 30th birthday at Coronado Springs, one morning they didn’t have fruit tarts. I was fine with that and picked another breakfast pastry to get eat overlooking the water. Imagine my surprise when a short while later they brought me a fruit tart for free! I was struck by their kindness.

Heres the thing—and this might ruffle a few feathers, so I apologize in advance— but I think CMs do genuinely enjoy making magic for people when they can and it’s possible. BUT I don’t think they go out of their way for someone they feel like might be angling for a freebie. Not that the OP was, but speaking generally. I think the internet has added to this sense of entitlement that freebies are going to come your way and I think it might leave a bad taste in the months of some CMs. Plus look what happens when people see other people getting what they feel they should be receiving-“he/they got something, why didn’t I?” It’s probably just easier to not do anything at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter