***Design Tips***

This question is to anyone than knows. How do you make thoses names with the characters in them? I have tried and just can't seem to figure it out. I am using Photoshop Elements 6 (trial version). Only have a few days left. If I can't figure out how to use it, I won't buy it.

Help me, please.
Mary

I have the same question. I need to try and do this for a presentation for work. There was a great tutorial on these message boards at one point in time but I can't find it for the life of me and I've forgotten how to do it.

Can anyone help?

-Kate

I am so glad I found this website. I was looking at ordering my son a birthday shirt off of ebay. I even wanted to do ones for the kids coming to the party at our house.

We are also taking him to Disney for the second year in a row for his birthday and I am going to make shirts for all of us.

Thank you so much to all the designers. You all have done a great job.

Hi New heer!!:goodvibes
How do I find people who will do t shirt designs? I do not have a good printer so I would be interested in having them shipped to me???
Not sure I am in the right place I keep getting distracted by all this info!!:hippie:

I am in the same position that you are. I did find some on ebay but they. I don't have enough posts yet so I couldn't ping you or post the link. I Staples will print them off if you bring in the paper and the picture on a disc.

Silly question - does it matter if you print on your transfer paper with a laser printer or an ink jet? Thanks!

Thanks to the excellent information in this site, I have successfully created three t-shirt designs. I was able to print them and transfer them without any problems. Here are a few things I learned that have yet to be covered in this thread.

I used transfers from Michaels (Wilton EasyImage transfers) and Avery, both for dark fabrics. We prewashed our fabric, without fabric softener, removed them immediately from the washer and line-dried overnight.

1) Prices for the dark fabric transfers are more expensive than transfers for light fabrics. You also receive less transfers but they appear to have a better quality. We did three shirts. One was black, one was green (almost lime green) and the other was a baby blue, utilizing a pink background design which came out beautifully. Therefore, I think the dark fabric transfers could probably be used with any color fabric and the results will be of a high quality.

2) We preferred the Avery transfers, again due to quality. Prices were comparable.

3) None of the instructions mention what the printer paper settings should be. After a little experimentation, we used the following setting: photo quality paper - semi gloss and used the highest ink setting (in our case, photo.)

4) The above settings not only helped the color saturation quality but really helped the printer 'pull' the paper into the printer. Using other settings caused the printer to think the paper was thicker than it was and crinkled the edges of the transfer, causing all sorts of wonderful issues.

5) We let the transfers 'dry' for a couple of hours before doing the pressing. It was a step just in case any of the printer ink had to dry. Might not be necessary but it didn't hurt.

6) Instead of using an iron, we used what might be considered a commercial press for our transfers. It worked perfectly and seamlessly. We held the press for 3 minutes. Update: Upon a second look, we thought our transfers were more of a matte finish that we had imagined them to be. We decided to put a sheet of parchment back over the completed transfer and apply some more heat via an iron. Great decision, because the transfers looked even better than before! My guess is we didn't set the heat up high enough on the commercial press setting.

7) We have not done a vinegar wash after the transfer. We are still looking into that and might do a test wash with and without to see the best results. I'll post again if I discover anything. Update: Based upon further research using Google, it appears that a cup of vinegar is the best way to 'set' the colors so they do not run and remain vivid. Here is one of many articles I found: Fabrics

Hi! So~ I want to do a few shirts for our upcoming trip. My question is about the flipping. Am I right in thinking the rule is, if it has writing on it then you must flip it?:confused3 Thanks for any advice!

Hey thanks for the quick reply! So If I buy the dark transfers, there will be no flipping EVER??? Awesome!:banana:

Help - how do I use the font I downloaded. The links on the first page aren't working. Thanks.

I'm printing on black Ts and dark transfer paper,here is my dilemma,
The Minnie head in red w/ white dots has me wondering about the following tips from this page:
• White Does Not Print... In designing your artwork remember that WHITE does not print. The fabric will show through any parts of the design that are white. For example, if you print a white ghost on plaid fabric — you'll get a plaid ghost! Plan your design accordingly. As with any desktop publishing project, consider the background color when selecting colors for your designs. "NOT so good for my project"

• The Dark transfer paper is white and any part you do not cut away will show up on the shirt as white. 'GOOD for my project!"

Either I'm finding this so intimidating that I can't think or I'm just plain :confused: :confused: I know my test sample will help, but does anyone know if I will get white dots on the red background in my minniehead design?

Thanks!
Cyndy

I'm printing on black Ts and dark transfer paper,here is my dilemma,
The Minnie head in red w/ white dots has me wondering about the following tips from this page:
• White Does Not Print... In designing your artwork remember that WHITE does not print. The fabric will show through any parts of the design that are white. For example, if you print a white ghost on plaid fabric — you'll get a plaid ghost! Plan your design accordingly. As with any desktop publishing project, consider the background color when selecting colors for your designs. "NOT so good for my project"

• The Dark transfer paper is white and any part you do not cut away will show up on the shirt as white. 'GOOD for my project!"

Either I'm finding this so intimidating that I can't think or I'm just plain :confused: :confused: I know my test sample will help, but does anyone know if I will get white dots on the red background in my minniehead design?

Thanks!
Cyndy

If you use dark transfer paper - your dots will be white. If you use light transfer paper, the dots will be clear (the color of your shirt). I hope that clarifies it for you.

I was wondering if there is another post with updated links? The first page has a lot of links that arn't working anymore.

Can you help me. I am trying to print a picture from a creative design on the boards

thanks ss

I just bought shirts from Target today. They are 95% Cotton 5% Spandex. I bought the Avery Dark t-shirt transfer paper to use on both white and dark shirts.

Will this work ok or do I need 100% cotton?

Thanks!
:)

I printed out the image, I flipped it horizontally ( I use photoshop so I went to Image --> Rotate canvas --> Flip canvas horizontal)

and then I printed it out
when it came to the T-shirt, after I ironed it according to the manual, I removed the paper and... it was also flipped horizontally :(

I can't understand why is this happening

Also, after you iron it, it still has the feeling of paper, like you have glued plastic paper on it. It doesn't become one with the tshirt.
Do I do something wrong? or it's the way it should be?
Thank you,
Evangelia

What do the directions on your transfer say? I used transfers from Amy and didn't have to "flip" my design. The designs came out perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter