Debt Dumpers 2023

Financial Goals
  • Contribute $10,000 to general savings account
  • Max out Roth IRA ($6000)
  • If student loan forgiveness happens, pay off remaining loans. If not, cut student debt in half
  • Continue retirement savings at current rate
Personal Goals
  • Run a full marathon for the first time
  • Run a half marathon at a 12 minute pace
  • Cut fast food down to once a week
  • Finish my master's
  • Vacation outside North America for the first time since 2019

i had a neighbor who would buy a rotisserie chicken and put on top of frozen veggies to heat in a wrap, eat in a bowl, shred with bbq sauce on a roll-one $5 chicken fed him for a full work week.
I love to buy rotisserie chicken at Costco, shred it all up, and then either use it right away or freeze it in individual portions for future meals. I'll use it to top salads, make wraps, put it in soup, make taquitos, etc.

The taquitos are a really easy meal idea. Take the shredded chicken and some shredded cheese, roll it up in some corn (or flour) tortillas, and either pan fry them in some oil or throw them in the air fryer. I put mine in the air fryer and spray them with some avocado oil spray before turning it on. This can then be eaten on it's own or pair it with some refried beans and spanish rice (or really any other side dishes) to turn it into a relatively cheap meal.

Thanks for these tips.

We have started buying canned chicken for anything that calls for chicken. I don't like raw chicken anywhere in the house. I can deal with raw steak and HB medat becuase I can tell when it's cooked well enough (it's no longer red, haha). I eat lots of red meat. Basically every other meal. I would like to try salmon, but I don't think there's anywhere to get fresh fish here. Again, I'm afraid to cook it because I don't know how to cook it, and I don't want to undercook it (same reason we won't handle raw chicken in the house).

I tried to buy prepackaged salads, but they'd always go bad before I could eat them all. My wife doesn't eat anything green, so it's just me for veggies. I buy the frozen bags of veggies, but I end up throwing most of it away as I can't eat a bag myself. And I can't rewarm it since it's been cooked (at the factory) and warmed (by me in the microwave) already. So I feel those are a waste of money.

Anyway, as I said I'd like to see a thread. I don't want to start it becuase I don't want to get in trouble if there's already one out there that I can't find. But thaks for the tips. Will continue to go onlin for ideas.
Use a meat thermometer. Chicken needs to be at 165. I am also terrified of undercooking meat, but with a digital thermometer, I know that all my meat is totally done. And I cook most meat in the air fryer. So easy.

I love making big batches of cooked ground turkey which I then either season for soup/spaghetti or tacos. Obviously this could also be done with ground beef, I just prefer using turkey. Once it's cooked and cooled I portion it out and freeze it. Then I can easily take it out and throw it in the microwave to defrost in just a few minutes.
This is on my list to do. My DH was so resistant to this because "it's so easy to brown beef!" yes butttttt lol. I did this for when the baby came and it was so handy, so he's on board now. I did beef, pork, and shredded chicken.

Thanks @barkley , lots of good tips! I should look at keeping some produce in our fridge to extend the life. I forgot to put that on my list but part of my meal planning etc goal is to come up with a fridge/freezer organization plan. We have a french door fridge/bottom drawer freezer in the kitchen, a full size regular top freezer fridge in our wet bar downstairs, and a small upright freezer in the garage. I didn't want to go bigger with the upright and then "lose" things in there, but I need a plan. We buy peppers, corn, and green beans in the fall from a local farm and freeze instead of using canned, so they take up a lot of room to start. I need to figure out a rotation.

I tried to buy prepackaged salads, but they'd always go bad before I could eat them all. My wife doesn't eat anything green, so it's just me for veggies. I buy the frozen bags of veggies, but I end up throwing most of it away as I can't eat a bag myself. And I can't rewarm it since it's been cooked (at the factory) and warmed (by me in the microwave) already. So I feel those are a waste of money.
For the frozen veggies at least, if you're the only one eating them I'd just open the bag and warm what you want vs steam in bag. You could just get a little microwave steamer pot. Maybe put the opened bag in a freezer ziploc to help them keep until you finished them. And I'm saying this as someone working on decreasing their food waste, BUT depending on what are spending on instead of the veggies/salads that you don't finish on your own, are you spending more money? As an example, lets say you spend $5 on a prepared salad that you don't finish but covers 1-2 meals, vs buying a meal out for $10 or premade things at $5 a pop, you still may come out ahead. Just food for thought :-)

We just tried a breakfast cookie recipe for my DH this weekend with nuts and dried fruit I can share, if that's something that would interest you. He's an on the go or skip breakfast person (or buy mini donuts at the gas station) so we were looking for something healthier and easy to take.

We have started buying canned chicken for anything that calls for chicken

i keep canned chicken on hand as well-you can google search 'what can i make with canned chicken' and come up with lots of inexpensive/easy recipies. one of my recent finds was '8 can chicken taco soup' is crazy easy and reheats well. i also keep bags of pecans and crasins on hand so i can make the arby style chicken salad (just need the canned chicken, mayo, pecans, craisins and a little celery). we eat it on a sandwich or on greens as a salad.
I buy the frozen bags of veggies, but I end up throwing most of it away as I can't eat a bag myself. And I can't rewarm it since it's been cooked (at the factory) and warmed (by me in the microwave) already. So I feel those are a waste of money.

i rewarm veggies all the time with no issues but if you don't like the texture you can just warm the ones you need in a small container or ziplock and leave the remainder in the original bag.

Thanks for these tips.

We have started buying canned chicken for anything that calls for chicken. I don't like raw chicken anywhere in the house. I can deal with raw steak and HB medat becuase I can tell when it's cooked well enough (it's no longer red, haha). I eat lots of red meat. Basically every other meal. I would like to try salmon, but I don't think there's anywhere to get fresh fish here. Again, I'm afraid to cook it because I don't know how to cook it, and I don't want to undercook it (same reason we won't handle raw chicken in the house).

Anyway, as I said I'd like to see a thread. I don't want to start it becuase I don't want to get in trouble if there's already one out there that I can't find. But thaks for the tips. Will continue to go onlin for ideas.

There are a lot of self imposed limitations in this response. If you truly want to break out of the food rut you are in, and cut costs from buying prepared foods, you will need to change your mindset and face some of these fears.

1. There is no reason to be so afraid of chicken. It's much easier to overcook it than to undercook it. I promise. I cook a LOT. My biggest issue is NOT overcooking chicken. It cooks so fast. It's literally no different than red meat in that respect. And for the record, red meat that has no more pink is also overcooked. If you like it that way, great. But my point is that you are already skilled at overcooking meat, so chicken will be easy peasy.

2. There is no reason to worry about taking frozen veggies or any other frozen food, cooking it, and then refrigerating it and reheating it again. Literally nothing wrong with that. I feel like you are misunderstanding the guideline where it pertains to raw meat. When raw meat has been frozen, then defrosted, you should not then freeze it again in the raw state and defrost it again to cook it. But if you buy raw meat, put it in the freezer and then defrost it to make, let's say, grilled chicken (or steak or hamburgers), once it's cooked, it's absolutely FINE to put that cooked meat BACK in the freezer and then defrost and heat to eat later. As an example, every Sunday, I grill up 2 lbs of chicken tenderloins. I then cut them into chunks, then bag in ziplocs and freeze. Every day they are needed for a salad, I pull out a bag and microwave or just let defrost and eat cold in the salad. This way, I am not forced to eat all the chicken within a certain time frame.

On the other hand, "leftovers" should be consumed within 3 days of being cooked if they have only been refrigerated. Bacteria will start multiplying rapidly after this point so food is not necessarily safe beyond 3 days. Although, people push this guideline ALL the time.

3. Salmon is easy to find everywhere. If you can't find it fresh or vacuum sealed, buy it frozen. Almost every supermarket with a butcher counter has salmon. Don't be afraid of it. You cook it the same way you cook red meat. Until it's no longer pink. It will turn whitish with sort of a pale pink undertone when it is done. It should not be translucent, but opaque. You can also just buy canned or pouch salmon (like tuna).

4. Look for bagged salads that have 2 servings. Brands like Taylor Farms are great. They include the salad mix, dressing and toppings. It's easy to divide the salad into 2 containers to pack along for lunch. You can buy 2 salads a week and just purchase the ones with the furthest out dates. These salads are frequently on sale 2 for $5 where I shop. We buy 3-4 every week. No waste. In the event that the lettuce mix goes bad, you don't have to throw out the whole thing. Pull out the dressing/topping packet and save it for another salad later. You can eat lunch all week for under $10 by using these salads and some grilled meats you buy in bulk or canned chicken, as you mentioned. You can also buy canned salmon and canned tuna, which are both great salad additions.

4. Look for bagged salads that have 2 servings. Brands like Taylor Farms are great. They include the salad mix, dressing and toppings. It's easy to divide the salad into 2 containers to pack along for lunch. You can buy 2 salads a week and just purchase the ones with the furthest out dates. These salads are frequently on sale 2 for $5 where I shop. We buy 3-4 every week. No waste. In the event that the lettuce mix goes bad, you don't have to throw out the whole thing. Pull out the dressing/topping packet and save it for another salad later. You can eat lunch all week for under $10 by using these salads and some grilled meats you buy in bulk or canned chicken, as you mentioned. You can also buy canned salmon and canned tuna, which are both great salad additions

This is literally my go to meal for work. Bagged salad and grilled meat. I usually use all the toppings on one salad (🤷‍♀️) but save the leftover green mixes and use it for wraps or different salads the next day. My favorite new hack is the ones that are cabbage based chopped salads is to take the unused mix and turn it into coleslaw!

Hi Peeps!
Checking in.

2023 Goals:
Finish saving for our October Panama Canal cruise. (We liked it so much, we're doing it again.)
Save $20k for bathroom remodeling. This should be roughly by the end of summer.
Start really packing it in for retirement.
Have wills drawn up.
Get more sleep.

Once I get my follow up dr visit from my varicose vein laser ablation, I'll see if I need to have it done on other veins as well. She chose the largest/worst vein first so I can't see any of the others being urgent. If it can wait until August, I'd rather use my March week off for a short cruise and let my niece have a break from my dad when I'm off in August, and get other veins done then. I'm not booking anything until I see her first, my doctor, that is.

We are all set for carpet installation on Friday, and bedroom furniture to be delivered on Monday. :cool1::banana::hyper:
New closet doors won't be in until the end of the month but once the carpet is in, I can put all of our stuff back into the closet and get it off the dining room table and off ds22's bed. lol.
Ahhhh, inner peace is a home without clutter. Purple Heart is coming later this week for all the stuff we're purging.:woohoo:

I'll be so glad when this is done!

Save $20k for bathroom remodeling. This should be roughly by the end of summer.

what all are you having done? we did ours last spring-worst part was seeing that beautiful new shower ready to use but having the 5 week wait for the frameless glass doors (they can't measure until tile is in and cured). hated having to hide it behind a shower curtain (and forgot what a pain it is to get them to dry out). we love the shower system we went with-signature ryle with 3 body sprays.

so excited for you!

Money has been deposited from my mom sharing some of my dad's benefit money.

Paid off the furniture loans today. I have the cash out to pay both personal loans, but I have to do it in person and I don't feel like driving up there (40 mins each way) with all 3 kids for a 5 min transaction. I'll swing by before work Saturday or Monday.

Also paid the $2,200 balance on hubby's teeth removal surgery. We're just about down to zero debt. It's a weird feeling.

I'm hardcore cleaning, purging, and redecorating. It's been needed greatly since having such bad ppd last year.

Last edited:
what all are you having done? we did ours last spring-worst part was seeing that beautiful new shower ready to use but having the 5 week wait for the frameless glass doors (they can't measure until tile is in and cured). hated having to hide it behind a shower curtain (and forgot what a pain it is to get them to dry out). we love the shower system we went with-signature ryle with 3 body sprays.

so excited for you!
It's actually a 3/4 bath: sink/vanity, toilet and shower stall. The shower is fiberglass right now which I thought I wanted way back, 26 years ago, to not be dealing with scrubbing grout. Well, fb isn't so great either. It scratches easily. The shower doors are the old fashioned framed glass on a lower track type which is the grossest part of all. Dh doesn't like the clear glass type, the kind people ending up having to squeegee to cut down on water spots. I don't really know all our options there.
The floor, toilet and vanity are all in good shape. I just know us well enough to know that if we put in a new shower, we'll want to start replacing more.

I haven't even shopped for anything but I want the savings ready when we do.
Luckily dh, did it all last time, even re-arranging the toilet and vanity, so he'll probably do it again this time. I really don't think it will cost $20k but I seem to have sticker shock at everything so better to have extra on hand.

I love our current vanity/mirrored medicine cabinet set. I think I might take some pics to our Amish furniture store and see if they can do something similar. I'm not so keen on the ones I've seen in pictures that look like they're furniture on legs, not touching the floor. Sounds like a PITA to mop under there. lol.

The body sprays sound wonderful. I asked dh to pull out the O-ring from our hand held shower (the water restricter) and oh my, it's decadent. It rinses my hair in like 5 seconds.

I know it's for a good reason, but man.. watching $15k deposit into your account and then leave your account in payments over 3 days is depressing. Lol.

The only things left are the van and care credit card. I kept that one to keep making payments on because it's 0% interest and helping hubby's credit score. We'll just double payments to get it paid by October.

Dh doesn't like the clear glass type, the kind people ending up having to squeegee to cut down on water spots. I don't really know all our options there.

they make a type that is treated to shed off the water. it's gross but b/c the glass stores use red colored water in a treated jar to demo it we refer to it as our 'dexter glass' :crazy2: i bought a small foldable squeegee to keep in the shower but despite having well water we've not had much reason to use it.

our old shower was fiberglass with the framed glass (hated trying to keep the tracks clean). i was amazed at how much extra space we gained pulling it out and going with tile. i too detest cleaning grout so i purposely went with a tile that has variations of shades of gray, tan, brown, white...and we had it grouted with a mid gray on the wall-dark gray on the floor. i can keep it clean but years of having tile in bathrooms and kitchens have me wanting to avoid small dark stains that i know i can't get scrubbed out so this will mask those.

Update!

Financially:
1. Pay off my credit cards (it's not a lot, but it's debt)
-I paid off a pretty good chunk of what I owe. Unfortunately, it's winter in the north, which means power bills will be out of control. For the next couple months I'm just hoping not to add to the debt.
-I haven't seen the money I'm supposed to get from fixing the government stuff, but they said I should have it by the beginning of next month.
2. Figure out a way to put some sort of extra on the mortgage, even if it's the $100 minimum
-Going to try and do #1 first
3. Get some things I NEED to have (rims/tires for the car, etc)
4. Get a savings plan going for the big stuff that comes due in one lump sum payment (insurance, property tax)

General stuff:
1. Make a will. A marriage voids your existing will, a divorce does NOT. My Dad had a heart attack recently, so this is especially important to me now.
-Not yet
2. Continue to clear out the crap. I need to go through my clothes and that sort of thing. I got a pile done in 2022, but it really wasn't enough.
-11 items gone since the last update. Any progress is good progress.
3. Look for a new job. The reason nothing has been getting done is because I'm burned out from my existing job and I'm being severely underpaid for the work I do.
-Spent about an hour poking around, but I'm not seeing much. I applied for a free training program to upgrade my skills, which will hopefully make me more marketable.
4. Get my passport. Mine expired during covid, when we weren't allowed to cross the border anyway.
-DONE! This actually arrived, so it's in my hands and I don't have to look at this item anymore.
5. Knock some half-finished projects off the list. Everything from making a scarf to some jewelry. Lots of stuff has been started, but not finished. Enough already!
-Finished 1 item
6. Get into better shape. I'd like to say 'lose weight', but I'd be happy to be able to run up my own steps without getting winded. The weight loss may or may not come, but it's not as important.
-Did 5 workouts this week. I'm being pretty generous with my counting, since 2 of them were just walks, but I'm counting them!
7. Spend more time with loved ones. I don't see friends/family much. I guess I really need to do #3 in order to facilitate this one.
-Spent some time with friends once this week

they make a type that is treated to shed off the water. it's gross but b/c the glass stores use red colored water in a treated jar to demo it we refer to it as our 'dexter glass' :crazy2: i bought a small foldable squeegee to keep in the shower but despite having well water we've not had much reason to use it.

our old shower was fiberglass with the framed glass (hated trying to keep the tracks clean). i was amazed at how much extra space we gained pulling it out and going with tile. i too detest cleaning grout so i purposely went with a tile that has variations of shades of gray, tan, brown, white...and we had it grouted with a mid gray on the wall-dark gray on the floor. i can keep it clean but years of having tile in bathrooms and kitchens have me wanting to avoid small dark stains that i know i can't get scrubbed out so this will mask those.
Thanks. We’ll look into this when we get closer to our goal.

Plugging along here. Trying to avoid eating out. We have 3 restaurant gift cards but I would like to save them for later in the year since we will eat out this month for my husband's birthday and next month we go to Disney.

My husband's raise should be in effect in his next paycheck which will be nice. For my job, the legislature has to approve our raises and there is talk this year of a significant one, like 12% to try to lessen wage compression. I would be thrilled with it.

Going to try this again! We were doing so well in 2022 then my DH lost his job and was out of work from March to September! I didn't think he was looking hard enough for a new job, seemed perfectly happy just playing with the baby (btw we were paying for TWO baby sitters while he was out of work because they are family/close friends we had made a commitment to and I felt obligated). He kept reassuring me we were fine financially and there were no issues. Then a couple months ago it all came to a head when he got a notice his car was being repossessed. Needless to say this caused a little strain on our marriage. His car was thankfully NOT repossessed and he has worked it out with the bank and is caught up on payments. We have worked through a lot of this, but it has left us with a little more dept than I anticipated. Namely two credit cards with a balance around $10k each. This felt good typing it out! I have not been able to vent to anyone.

After the first of the year we sat down and put a plan together to pay down the debt. He has a life insurance policy that has a cash value, we were saving it for no particular reason, so we are going to cash that in. He is working on getting the paperwork together. His mom has to full transfer it from herself to him, but it should be about $10k so that will wipe out the first card!

Our Amazon card was at $13k. I paid off $3k yesterday with my savings. We should get about 4k back on our taxes so our entire tax return will go to that. I am HOPING to get both my LTIP and STIP payments this year. I am uncertain how it will go because while my company is hitting our forecast/budget, we did have a major layoff as one of our big label products is going generic this coming year (I work in pharma). This was not unexpected, but it could affect my bonus payments. IF I get both, it will wipe out the remainder of the CC debt, then I will start focusing on rebuilding my savings.

Once school starts in the fall we will be going down to one babysitter as DS will be about 18 months and DD will be in school 2 days a week, but possibly 5 if she qualifies for the towns head start program. She will be evaluated over the summer. She is currently in Early intervention for gross motor and is going to get evaluated a second time for speech. She will be 2.5 next month and does not yet speak in sentences. Tons of words, knows all her letters and colors, just wont put the words together.

Wow that was a lot! If you made it this far thank you for reading! Good luck to everyone with their goals in 2023!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter