DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I was approved yesterday but my daughter was declined. I've had a DAS for the past 9 years. My disability is not a developmental disability. My daughter has not had a DAS in the past, she started having panic attacks last year (her first one was during our Disney trip) and this was my first time asking for one for her.

I was eligible to call the day after the new rules went into effect but I chickened out, feeling defeated by so many people being declined. I waited in the chat queue for 2.5 hours on Wednesday (from 5:30-8pm) before it abruptly said the chat was ending and to contact them when they reopened at 7am. Cool. I tried again the next day around 5pm and sat in the queue for about an hour before moving to the video call. I went through my daughter's issues first. The cast member was very kind and empathetic but DD was declined. She discussed alternate quiet spots to wait, as well as return to queue as options instead of DAS. Her demeanor did at least give me hope that I had the possibility of being accepted. I made notes ahead of time and went through what happens when I stand in a traditional line as well as accomodations I receive at work. After about 2 minutes of talking she let me know I was approved. She asked a supervisor to make an exception to the DAS holder +3 rule and that was quickly granted. On this trip, it is me and DH and 5 children ages 10-16. She asked if I wanted to request to add my parents and my sister's family to the DAS list since they are travelling with us - the CM said it was unlikely but possible to be approved by her supervisor. I really just wanted the call to end, I felt like I had zero spoons left (iykyk) so I declined to involve her supervisor and ended the call.
This is my worry, that I will be denied since I have a panic disorder, I feel like I'm literally dying when it comes on and I start to hyperventilate. There's been times that I've hyperventilated so much to the point I passed out. Thank god for ubereats and Instacart, lol. I'm so so so anxious about making this call for our trip.

I’ll Google it! Thanks! This is what she was planning on, super compact. I’m just afraid security will confiscate it.
These are good for stationary settings like camping grounds and waiting overnight somewhere like D23 or comiccon.

Moving it consistently in a standby queue may not be the ideal setting for it.

Something like this; Amazon has it and more robust ones too

61FGw4kZYkL._AC_SX569_.jpg

I’ll Google it! Thanks! This is what she was planning on, super compact. I’m just afraid security will confiscate it.
I was in an ECV one trip and lined up waiting for the fireworks at MK... we were too late to get into the HC areas, so just took our chances and found a spot we hope would give us SOME part of the view. Anyway, a guy behind us had one one these he used until the show started. He said he had no issues getting it into the parks. Last trip there was a family in the HC area who had about 4 of them for family member accompaning a guest with an EVC, and they also told me they had no issues getting them into the park. because they are plastic maybe they don't set off any alarms.... I purchased a couple but haven't had a chance to take them on a trip yet.

If someone usually uses a cane for walking, this is one I purchased. I like it better than the three legged ones since it compacts down to one leg for walking but unfolds to three for sitting. Not too heavy, but a little more than one of the three-legged ones.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB3WVDVZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

there are three different versions, and cost is different for each level.

1718915740426.png

I have a client who tried to qualify for DAS today and was denied. They did tell her she could bring a pop-up stool but everywhere else if says stools are not allowed. She has no problem walking, it’s the prolonged standing in one spot that is the issue. If DAS CMs say she can have it, how does she get past security?!

When we were in the parks May 20-23, we saw a woman and a child with one of these (only rainbow colored lol), but it was exactly like this. We were there for rope drop, and she was using it sitting in front of the CM’s who were at the ropes and I didn’t see anyone tell her she shouldn’t/couldn’t have it. And lots of people around were talking about what a good idea it was!

IMG_0508.jpeg

That is brilliant!

When we were in the parks May 20-23, we saw a woman and a child with one of these (only rainbow colored lol), but it was exactly like this. We were there for rope drop, and she was using it sitting in front of the CM’s who were at the ropes and I didn’t see anyone tell her she shouldn’t/couldn’t have it. And lots of people around were talking about what a good idea it was!
Those kind are supposed to be banned. Some people may get them past Security though and CMs may let it slide and not say anything because they are afraid of guests's reactions.
I have seen posts where Security told them to either take that kind back to their room/vehicle or dispose of it.

I've also looked at Amazon reviews of that kind of stool - a lot of reports of them suddenly failing and dumping the user on the ground. Most of the reviews said they were nowhere near the weight limit. Some had used it for a while, then all of a sudden, something snapped on it and it broke.

Just wanted to report back that DH and I did our call to see if he would qualify for DAS under the new rules today, and he did not. We were prepared for that outcome, and the CM explained how we should discuss our concerns with the CMs at attractions we felt could be an issue. Two things I wanted to note for people who may be anxious: 1. we were told that all attraction CMs were trained on these policies for their rides, and if we encountered someone who was "less than magical" to find a supervisor to discuss the encounter with, and 2. we were told that the return to queue option, if we found that DH needed to leave the line, would include him and a caregiver (me). So, there seems to be some additional tweaking to the calls, instructions, and training happening. I am not 100% certain it will work as well as DAS, but we're willing to see if we can make it work for us this trip.

Just wanted to report back that DH and I did our call to see if he would qualify for DAS under the new rules today, and he did not. We were prepared for that outcome, and the CM explained how we should discuss our concerns with the CMs at attractions we felt could be an issue. Two things I wanted to note for people who may be anxious: 1. we were told that all attraction CMs were trained on these policies for their rides, and if we encountered someone who was "less than magical" to find a supervisor to discuss the encounter with, and 2. we were told that the return to queue option, if we found that DH needed to leave the line, would include him and a caregiver (me). So, there seems to be some additional tweaking to the calls, instructions, and training happening. I am not 100% certain it will work as well as DAS, but we're willing to see if we can make it work for us this trip.
I’m sorry that he was denied DAS, but very glad to hear that the CMs seem much better versed in how park operations work! If I may, I suggest inquiring at rides before you enter - one of my biggest takeaways from my AQR experience was that some queues are very, VERY difficult to get out of, so if CMs are aware that you’ll likely need to exit, they can consider that in their instructions.

Just wondering out loud here....

I wonder if so many folks who previously had DAS and being denied, who will be using the AQR accommodation will tax the ride CMs to the point that they will rethink this for many. We've heard so many reports of people now planning to use this option that never did in the past, it would be interesting to follow up after a bit to see if there is a change due to increased need and demands for the CMs at the individual attractions.

I’m sorry that he was denied DAS, but very glad to hear that the CMs seem much better versed in how park operations work! If I may, I suggest inquiring at rides before you enter - one of my biggest takeaways from my AQR experience was that some queues are very, VERY difficult to get out of, so if CMs are aware that you’ll likely need to exit, they can consider that in their instructions.
Thank you- that's the plan. Your prior post about AQR actually made me feel better about the experience, so than you for doing that!

When he needs to get out, it needs to happen fairly quickly and without a lot of agitation, so we will definitely be detailing that part with the ride CMs! The CM conducting the interview also told us to "take a picture of where we were in line"- which seems a strange thing to request. I am not sure how that would work logistically when we are going to be focused on getting out quickly/without incident. I guess we will see (and report back) in a few weeks!

Thank you- that's the plan. Your prior post about AQR actually made me feel better about the experience, so than you for doing that!

When he needs to get out, it needs to happen fairly quickly and without a lot of agitation, so we will definitely be detailing that part with the ride CMs! The CM conducting the interview also told us to "take a picture of where we were in line"- which seems a strange thing to request. I am not sure how that would work logistically when we are going to be focused on getting out quickly/without incident. I guess we will see (and report back) in a few weeks!
hmmm for me, its get phone out of pocket, open phone, look for camera icon (the park has closed by this point), what should I take picture of , whoops I hit spotify, close, camera.......

I'd be taking taking a picture every 5-10 mins, so at least we'd be close enough, if that's what is needed.

Yes, please report back.

I wonder if so many folks who previously had DAS and being denied, who will be using the AQR accommodation will tax the ride CMs to the point that they will rethink this for many. We've heard so many reports of people now planning to use this option that never did in the past, it would be interesting to follow up after a bit to see if there is a change due to increased need and demands for the CMs at the individual attractions.
I'm sure there is a balancing act going on. Right now there are far too many people who have been relying on DAS, and many of those people COULD tour without it. They have to sort of shove the extra people off like a mass exodus. Then people will adapt, and it will become more clear who really NEEDS that particular accommodation. A sudden uptick in AQR will also tax that system a bit, but you also don't want people who "might" need the AQR to request it everywhere, so if it's difficult to ask for simply due to overuse, it will cause some to just "suck it up" and go on without it. People who NEED it are still going to ask because it's not an option. But if it's too easy, and you are always helped instantly, people who see it as their "right" because they were denied DAS but don't really need it would then become dependent on it. The best way to stop AQR from the same gradual creep DAS suffered is to cause it to suddenly drop and have it not be too easy. While this isn't as ideal for individuals with a serious need, those with a need are more likely to stick it out or ask for more help.

But scaling back slowly wouldn't work because it would take years to adjust to what they just did overnight this way.

One thing Disney could do would be to implement a system whereby everyone taps into the standby lines as well as the LL, so if you need to exit there’s a record for how long you were there for and CMs can hopefully make more appropriate recommendations about how to re-integrate people into the SB line. That would also prevent “double dipping” where you say you need to leave the line but then go ride something else. I’m sure there would be logistical things to work out but it would have the desired effect of reducing the incentive to use it unnecessarily.

One thing Disney could do would be to implement a system whereby everyone taps into the standby lines as well as the LL, so if you need to exit there’s a record for how long you were there for and CMs can hopefully make more appropriate recommendations about how to re-integrate people into the SB line. That would also prevent “double dipping” where you say you need to leave the line but then go ride something else. I’m sure there would be logistical things to work out but it would have the desired effect of reducing the incentive to use it unnecessarily.
This would solve those particular issues - but just think about how backed up LL entrances get. There would be 15 minute lines to get into the standby line because Aunt Sue has to pull up 18 separate tickets and doesn't know how a phone works.

There are a lot of people who used DAS in the past because they qualified, but really didn’t need it. I think most will adapt to life without DAS without bothering with AQR. I’m not sure it will make a significant difference.

I'm sure there is a balancing act going on. Right now there are far too many people who have been relying on DAS, and many of those people COULD tour without it. They have to sort of shove the extra people off like a mass exodus. Then people will adapt, and it will become more clear who really NEEDS that particular accommodation. A sudden uptick in AQR will also tax that system a bit, but you also don't want people who "might" need the AQR to request it everywhere, so if it's difficult to ask for simply due to overuse, it will cause some to just "suck it up" and go on without it. People who NEED it are still going to ask because it's not an option. But if it's too easy, and you are always helped instantly, people who see it as their "right" because they were denied DAS but don't really need it would then become dependent on it. The best way to stop AQR from the same gradual creep DAS suffered is to cause it to suddenly drop and have it not be too easy. While this isn't as ideal for individuals with a serious need, those with a need are more likely to stick it out or ask for more help.

But scaling back slowly wouldn't work because it would take years to adjust to what they just did overnight this way.
This. Disney had to do something regarding the LL queue lengths. They elected to rip off the bandaid and endure the surge if wrath that would certainly, and did, come with it.

They also knew that dlr is a different beast and delayed that for a month to make whatever adjustments to it.

Looks like DLR rollout is significantly different so far on the initial first week reports. One very big difference is the video call waits have gone the opposite direction.

Reports of 9 hours yesterday mid week!

Let's see where all this settles over the summer. My thinking is AQR will be heavily utilized as well as the official bathroom break and managing the standby queue entrance that way as that is a significant issue here at dlr.

Just a reminder that this thread is not for discussing hypothetical ways to "fix" or "improve" DAS. Disney has made their decision about the DAS changes. I fully expect they anticipated some growing pains with it and that they intend to stick with it for a while. DAS isn't likely to change again in 3 months, 6 months, a year. Some minor adjustments to the alternative accommodations maybe, but not a full-scale change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter