DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Has this been addressed already but what will stop people from abusing the return to line queue option? Maybe people will wait it out for short wait times but is there anything stopping you from leaving a long line and telling the CM that you have to leave because of bathroom needs when in reality you rather just sit somewhere in AC or you want to go eat a snack just to return later in line?

I mean, as far as I’m aware, the only accommodations that Disney is going to be auditing is RTQ (because Ride CMs need to have a reason and detail that to their managers) and DAS itself (making sure that those who really need it get it, and everyone else uses other accommodations). I don’t actually think that they’re broadly going to be limiting AQR because it’s for use for everyone, everyone has had times where their kid needs to pee, or they have an incident and need to leave the line, or even that their kid suddenly doesn’t want to ride after getting all the way to the end.

Now, are they going to be keeping track? Maybe in a broad sense, there’s an adjustment period on both sides, for the guests who now how have to manage without DAS (if they were denied, and those using these accommodations largely will be) and for the Ride CMs who now suddenly have a lot of immediate power (determining who gets RTQ based on their circumstances, mostly) but also has to face the brunt of those who are upset they no longer have DAS. I agree there may be a creep, but depending on the way they manage it, they can stop it from getting to the point that previous DAS/LL lines were.

They’re clearly taking what appears to be feedback while they figure out the immediate impact of the changes (both at WDW and now DLR, who switched this week). If it does get to the point where the LL line (or merge points on either end) are clogged up with people waiting for their party versus actually using the line as more than a waiting zone, then Disney (and the Ride CMs more generally) are going to need to figure out an alternative. I could see them doing something when the lines get long/the busy season really gets going and just routing people through LL lines isn’t really a great option, but I’m unsure what that would be in the moment.

What we know right now is that DAS is the accommodation, and that those without DAS can either ask for RTQ (a return time) or ask what to do in case they need to leave the line (AQR). Based on their circumstances (solo vs a full party, their potential issue, if the wait time is really the wait time vs an exaggeration to help crowd control, the nature of the queue and how easy it would be to leave at a moments notice, if that someone has a mobility device or not) the CM at the front decides the best course of action. If it turns out that the best course of action is AQR, then it’s going to be AQR.

If that’s something that Disney is keeping track of broadly, then it’s also going to be on them to help CMs determine other options when the LL line is busy or if it’s an especially busy time (Christmas, spring break, thanksgiving, basically all the times that school is out). If the wait is like, an hour, and the LL line is also very long, maybe like 45 minutes, then CMs will need a plan for those who want to ride that maybe can’t handle the standby (RTQ for those who can’t handle the wait at all?) or the potential rider just may need to wait until the ride has lower times (immediately after rope drop, so getting the ride essentially out of the way first thing, or later at night or during rain where people are watching the fireworks/going back to their hotel or using that rain time to grab some food or another indoor activity). I’d say it’s not exactly in the Ride CMs to make sure everyone rides, the ride they work on may break down or have maintenance, but if they can level the playing field (within their power) then I think that would be fair. If Disney decides eventually that AQR or RTQ isn’t the way to go, then, precedent being set, they would need to offer something that would equalize the ride playing field as a different option. They’ve clearly got the data somewhere, if they want to use data as the basis for accommodations (what works and what doesn’t for their ability to keep lines mostly down) then they have the ability to do that, I think whether or not AQR would impact that had many factors, and that it’s too soon to tell at the moment. I would be interested in seeing how the LL line is, particularly the merge point on both sides once everyone on Old DAS is done and it’s just New DAS left. I’d be interested to see if it’s really going to be as clogged as I think it could be, or if CMs will do their best to streamline that once the crowds really ramp up.

TLDR: sorry for the long response, I think AQR is too soon to tell on if we’ll see AQR creep ala Old DAS creep. Even then, AQR can be used by everyone, not just those disabled who no longer have DAS. I think it’s possible for AQR to bunch up the line with those waiting for their parties, and it’s clear that Disney is taking data and using it, so if AQR (and RTQ) eventually pose a problem, Disney can also offer other alternatives while still 1. leveling the ride playing field for those with disabilities, and 2. Keeping the lines mostly quicker and intact compared to the way it was Pre-New DAS. Whatever those new options are, Disney has set precedent that if that occurs, they’ll offer something (GAC -> DAS and now the other accommodations, they’ve almost always offered something to make rides available to those with disabilities). I’d be interested to see how it’s going to be in the coming 6 or so months, and to see how things are going to be smoothed out, if anything.
I was responding to someone who seemed to be referring to the return to que where you have to talk to someone and get a time by saying AQR, and just kept using their language. Clearly I shouldn't have done this, but the discussion has gotten way too long for anyone to keep track.

For the most part, a huge portion of people who go in the line, exit and come back to their party aren't going to even talk to a CM, they are just going to go do what the need to do. It's going to come up at some lines that they actually have to talk to someone. In those instances, I think it will go the same way I picture getting a return time to go - people who don't really need it are going to be squeemish and not want to bother to talk to someone, and I think any early rush to try to use the system will essentially sort itself out because people won't want to bother unless they actually need it.

Has this been addressed already but what will stop people from abusing the return to line queue option? Maybe people will wait it out for short wait times but is there anything stopping you from leaving a long line and telling the CM that you have to leave because of bathroom needs when in reality you rather just sit somewhere in AC or you want to go eat a snack just to return later in line?
It’s not a new offering and isn’t currently being abused.

If it isn’t being abused by general park goers I don’t think adding former DAS users will make much difference.

A poster on the DLR forum is reporting long lines for in-person DAS registration. I don’t recall reading about lines at the WDW parks to use the iPads in the past month.
I'm curious to why they don't merge the two teams since there's reciprocal approvals.

I'm tempted to call wdw and get approval since we have no expiring tickets and then ask to pull that approval in at dlr.

Wait times are crazy high at dlr

I'm curious to why they don't merge the two teams since there's reciprocal approvals.

I'm tempted to call wdw and get approval since we have no expiring tickets and then ask to pull that approval in at dlr.

Wait times are crazy high at dlr
Someone had reported they were told their approval at WDW would be accepted/transferred if they contact DLR. however WDW’s website specifically states it is not reciprocal. Time will tell. But DLR does have video pre-registration as well as in-person (outside the parks). WDW is only via video, either in advance or at the park.

ETA: this is the wording from DL:
DAS is only valid throughout the Resort at which it was issued. Each location will require a separate conversation with a Cast Member. DAS issued at Walt Disney World Resort, for example, is not valid at the Disneyland Resort, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Am I missing something … or is DAS no longer mentioned on the WDW “Accessing Attraction Queues” section of the website?

I am not surprised at the long line to request a DAS at DLR. It was always a long line until they allowed the umbrella CMs to issue them. The video chat did reduce it as well but if you are waiting 6 hours trying to get a video chat, especially having to babysit (refresh and answer yes) your device, many people would take their chances. DLR has more local and Magic Key holders. It is also a Friday. That means fireworks in Disneyland.

I suspect RTQ will be used a lot in Disneyland as Fantasyland is not accessible at all. One accesses the rides through the exit.

I am not surprised at the long line to request a DAS at DLR. It was always a long line until they allowed the umbrella CMs to issue them. The video chat did reduce it as well but if you are waiting 6 hours trying to get a video chat, especially having to babysit (refresh and answer yes) your device, many people would take their chances. DLR has more local and Magic Key holders. It is also a Friday. That means fireworks in Disneyland.

I suspect RTQ will be used a lot in Disneyland as Fantasyland is not accessible at all. One accesses the rides through the exit.
We've never waited over 4 hours for the video call and that was on the weekend. Kindof crazy level there.

Alas thankfully not going back until August for our adult son due to the crowds and heat. Great wolf lodge and aquarium for him for now 🥰

Guests would need to split their party. And my understanding is a “return time” is not necessarily granted - rather your party must contact you when they near the merge. It’s just not as attractive to abuse.

My DH had his DAS call earlier today. After about a 90 minute wait the call was quick once connected. He was approved in less than five minutes. He does not have a developmental disability. I’m hope this reduces anxiety for some that they will listen. The CM was patient as DH explained his concerns with waiting in the regular line. He focused on his needs not diagnosis.
That's the important thing.
I've noticed a lot of people posting they were not approved for DAS posted that they told the CM their "diagnosis and symptoms" when asked what their concerns with waiting in the regular lines were. Many posted that they felt any questions asked by the CM meant the CM was questioning their diagnosis.
A poster on the DLR forum is reporting long lines for in-person DAS registration. I don’t recall reading about lines at the WDW parks to use the iPads in the past month.
I remember reading one report of quite a few people to use iPads at WDW on the first day. The people who reported it said they felt the park was well prepared with a large number of iPads.
I'd venture a guess that many people think they will have a better chance in person than via video call.
I think a lot of people might feel that way.

Those make a lot of sense

It also appears that they have an alternate wording for the “due to a developmental disability like autism or similar” statement on the DLR DAS section of the website.

At the top it now states “DAS is one of the programs offered at the Disneyland Resort theme parks intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.”

But if you scroll down further to the “What To Know” section, the “or similar” wording remains.

At first I thought they changed it due to the confusion with the wording of “due to a developmental disability like autism or similar….” and whether that was implying it was only intended for developmental disabilities or not. But the fact that they have it worded two different ways now just seems like it would add further confusion 🙃

Am I missing something … or is DAS no longer mentioned on the WDW “Accessing Attraction Queues” section of the website?
I noticed it's missing too.
I don't see it either. It was still on there when I looked at that page a couple days ago. It's also still listed on the equivalent page for Disneyland.

WDW: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions-queues/
DLR: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions/
It was there yesterday, but not today
I Googled it and was able to get to the DAS page, but yeah, not showing up under accessing attractions.
I found it by doing a search on the WDW page.

I don't think it's important. Earlier I had noticed things disappearing and then reappearing later.

We've never waited over 4 hours for the video call and that was on the weekend. Kindof crazy level there.

Alas thankfully not going back until August for our adult son due to the crowds and heat. Great wolf lodge and aquarium for him for now 🥰
Did they have video registration at all at DL before this? I know WDW has been doing it for a while, but back when it rolled out people were waiting all day, being booted and having to come back again.

I assume they are working on some kind of update — maybe consistent wording would be a good start!
Agreed on the consistent wording! Makes a huge difference when it comes to guests understanding what services are possibly available for them (or their family member).

They’re likely at minimum reorganizing the layout of the disability pages and need to fix where the DAS info page links in at. Hopefully the updates to the site are for the better and everything will be more organized. It will help people for everything to be in one place and for everything to be as clear and consistent as possible.

I know they’re trying to keep the statement for DAS as general as possible (despite mentioning autism by name) but that statement should at least remain consistent throughout their website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest