DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I am at MK today, and it is not very crowded.

It's just too hot. People are trying to go in the spring/fall/winter to avoid the heat when possible (myself included!). Maybe low summer crowds will spur Disney to create more shade, add more fans, cover and air condition the extended queues, etc. It's not going to get any cooler during the summer months in the future lol

I wish people wouldn't be like this though especially given your description of this guy who was big using that against younger women. What he did was in the end very creepy and unsettling regardless if he thought he was defending his family. I agree with you FWIW and a language barrier getting back through was probably made tougher by that but intimidation tactics like that are why people can end up going to blows over it. In the end it's not worth it for either party.

I feel like if someone does ends up feeling unfairly treated in line such as getting back to their party discuss with a CM when you reach one (cameras also exist all over), your party if they don't see you when they get up to the loading area or merge point can also wait to IF you had to (preferable if the alternative is a fight ensuing either verbal or physical).

When we were in Navi where there's that snack cart it went two different ways. One party the kids paid and meandered back to their parents, the other the party waived on people to go in front of them until the other member of their party was done paying for their drink.

I do think that perhaps if Disney does ever retrofit more attractions to have a bathroom in the queue people will become more accustomed to that situation coming up, in general that is, not that you would never have a situation occur. I think knowing the bathroom was there in FOP did make it easier for me to assume someone coming back through the line was just there or in Navi with the snack cart to assume they had just gotten snacks while already having been in line.
If someone was intentionally blocking my two pre-teen daughters from moving up the line to join the rest of us, you better believe I am headed back there to address it. I'm not going to stare them down, I am not going to bow up, I am not going to try to intimidate or physically threaten them, but I would have been calling out as I approached the party "is there a reason you are not letting my daughters come through to get to us? Is there a reason you are scaring my daughters by blocking their way?" I wouldn't try to intimidate them as I passed them, I would probably ignore them once my girls got through, but I would be upset for a while. The dad was only responding to what the woman did and was defending his daughters.

As an aside - this is completely subjective, but we both felt like there were a lot less ECVs. (Like a lot less).
TBH, I’d expect more people, who depending on the old DAS would start to utilize, not for strictly mobility purposes
didn't say anything, but I thought that that was ridiculous because it is already all over the internet. However, I don't really feel right being the one putting the information out there.
I don’t understand why CMs can’t hand out a hall pass/return to line lanyard when one exits and it’s presented upon re-entry
Even a group of 8 teenagers that appear to be line cutting, well, they may really have a legit reason and just smile and nod and go about your day.
IDK, even the most patient of people may start to question larger groups pushing past others in standby line. Again, why not a lanyard to attempt to prevent confrontation between guests?
What he did was in the end very creepy and unsettling regardless if he thought he was defending his family.
To say the least
I want to know where the flights are that get you up in the air so quickly...?
popcorn::Lol inquiring minds need to know. Cheap discounters I fly on bonus trips, happy when they take off at all.:bitelip:
Just checked MK wait times, either a lot of people are eating rn, or somethings going on because none of the rides are over a 55 minute wait, including 7DMT, Peter Pan and Space.

I am at MK today, and it is not very crowded.
Large portion of south FL dealing with serious flood conditions, it’s wildly hot & not sure whether FL resident APs are blacked out yet or not.

If someone was intentionally blocking my two pre-teen daughters from moving up the line to join the rest of us, you better believe I am headed back there to address it. I'm not going to stare them down, I am not going to bow up, I am not going to try to intimidate or physically threaten them, but I would have been calling out as I approached the party "is there a reason you are not letting my daughters come through to get to us? Is there a reason you are scaring my daughters by blocking their way?" I wouldn't try to intimidate them as I passed them, I would probably ignore them once my girls got through, but I would be upset for a while. The dad was only responding to what the woman did and was defending his daughters.
I think it's totally fine to go back and make sure all is well, especially if you can smooth things over. But by your own words the guy gave them a look likely using his size and then proceeded to keep on looking at the women every chance he got when they kept passing each other in the switch backs. He was not indeed smoothing things over but intimidating and antagonizing in a world where these incidents do indeed escalate beyond what people think about in the moment. Like let it go, it's done and over with by that point. These kind of situations don't make any party look good in the end. I think your story just presents both sides, the one to let people pass because of understanding why they may have been needing to get back to the rest of the party especially with the newer procedures that are becoming more publicly visible but also what not to do or act if you're in that situation where a member of your party is having trouble getting back to where you're located at. We've seen enough news stories and you tube videos to understand what can happen when tempers flare in a theme park queue.

1. They could have waited for their daughters at the restroom and did not have to separate from them at all.
2. This was not an AQR situation.
They would still have the problem of ending up in front of whatever other group when they were done.

Large portion of south FL dealing with serious flood conditions, it’s wildly hot & not sure whether FL resident APs are blacked out yet or not.
AP’s no longer have a summer black out. Before the current version of passes, most of June-August was blocked for lower levels. Now block outs are around holidays and most of summer is open.

AP’s no longer have a summer black out. Before the current version of passes, most of June-August was blocked for lower levels. Now block outs are around holidays and most of summer is open.
Yep, plus some of the highest AP & FL resident room discounts of the year are offered in summer for the 3rd or 4th year in a row - summer hasn’t been a peak season for a while now at WDW.

See this is one of the major differences between US and Europe -- the US has no national "card" for autism or any other disability, no registration of disability or disability identification. Such things don't exist. And we don't have a national healthcare system that would allow all individuals to obtain the same type of documentation, some may not even have a primary care doctor. Those types of items are much easier to obtain in Europe, and easy to require of Europeans for accessing accommodations at the European parks. Americans sometimes have trouble providing the required documentation needed for accommodations at non-US destinations.
True
I've seen people from Europe post that they are "registered disabled" and have cards to show their syptatus.
There is no similar program in the US. Some people with disabilities have gone thru the (long) process to qualify for government programs for disability, but they don't get a card to show anyone
Thats the same in the UK, accomodations are based on needs, NOT diagnosis. The difference is that there is an assumption of possible fraud so it is usual to ask for some external proof of disability before any significant accommodation is given.

I would go so far as to say that for a large part of the British working class (of which I am a disapproving member), a lack of any form of check is a sign that a company doesn't care and a free for all is fair game.
Proof of disability means you are granting accommodation based on diagnosis.
I agree.

I think you should have to show proof to cut down fraud, but most people seem to think that you can replace the DAS application process with a doctors letter. My point is that some kind of external proof of disability is only a first step anyway. You still need the entire needs based application process, with the same questions and criteria, after you ask for a copy of an official diagnosis anyway.
I read this as the diagnosis letting you start the conversation. The conversation would then determine your needs and how to determine proper accommodation.
This has been mentioned in this thread, but probably at least 200-300 pages back.

According to the ADA, proof of disability can't be required as a condition of getting accommodations for public accommodations.
  • Disney and other theme parks fall under the category of public accommodations. People can be asked what their needs are related to their disability, but can't be required to disclose what their disability is.
  • Service Dog handlers can be asked whether the dog is a service dog required because of a disability AND what work or tasks has the dog been trained to perform
  • Work situations come under another part of the ADA and proof can be required.
  • School setting come under other regulations and proof of disability can be/is required
  • Disabled parking permits are not under ADA. Each state has their own regulations and requirements for permits, which do include minimum definitions of the disabilities covered and need for proof of disability. In the 1980s, state permits issued by one state were not being recognized in other states. This is what led to minimum standards that each put into their laws to ensure recognition by all
People bring up Universal and the third party they use and think it must be OK to require proof. I think they are operating in a loophole in the ADA which says proof of disability can't be required as a condition of giving accommodations.

IBCCES requires proof of disability (not very robust proof) for registration for their card. They also state in multiple places that do not give accommodations; the different parks do.
Universal requires that guests must register for an IBCCES card, but Universal doesn't actually require the proof of disability itself. Universal does give accommodations.

IBCCES requires proof of disability (not very robust proof) for registration for their card. They also state in multiple places that do not give accommodations; the different parks do.
Universal requires that guests must register for an IBCCES card, but Universal doesn't actually require the proof of disability itself. Universal does give accommodations.
Just more hoops for those in need to jump through where those who cheat and lie have little issue to check that box.

If IBCCES were more robust where those with disabilities already have readily documentation, like SSI/SDI or IEP coversheet. That would give it some level of credibility.

People hating Disney for narrowing its DAS criteria and putting Universal on a pedestal may be in for a shock over there. Some may like it though.

Regardless, I think Disney IS cutting deep and they may course correct a little especially when they go live here in California next week.

Just more hoops for those in need to jump through where those who cheat and lie have little issue to check that box.

If IBCCES were more robust where those with disabilities already have readily documentation, like SSI/SDI or IEP coversheet. That would give it some level of credibility.

People hating Disney for narrowing its DAS criteria and putting Universal on a pedestal may be in for a shock over there. Some may like it though.

Regardless, I think Disney IS cutting deep and they may course correct a little especially when they go live here in California next week.
Very few people with disabilities actually qualify for those things.
It also still is requiring proof where proof shouldn't be required

Very few people with disabilities actually qualify for those things.
It also still is requiring proof where proof shouldn't be required
Totally agree. Hence ADA getting it right on a needs based accommodation and Disney actually following the spirit of the law.

Unfortunately the one size fits, sometimes over accommodating era, has ended and reality of business hitting our community.

I do hope Disney will find a balance with their newly revamped program. I see some denials that really do make me scratch my head.

The only reason I mention universal is that they approve/denny before you have to buy tickets. In our situation planning and knowing what to expect is crucial.

We did both in August, Disney with das and universal with aap gold.

Disney accommodates us beter then universal. E.g. We had a near meltdown situation in Epcot due to the drums playing in Japan. We walked over to American pavilion and spoke to a CM. 30 seconds later we where in a quiet room. The CM knew how to handle the situation.

Last edited:
True
I've seen people from Europe post that they are "registered disabled" and have cards to show their syptatus.
There is no similar program in the US. Some people with disabilities have gone thru the (long) process to qualify for government programs for disability, but they don't get a card to show anyone

This has been mentioned in this thread, but probably at least 200-300 pages back.

According to the ADA, proof of disability can't be required as a condition of getting accommodations for public accommodations.
  • Disney and other theme parks fall under the category of public accommodations. People can be asked what their needs are related to their disability, but can't be required to disclose what their disability is.
  • Service Dog handlers can be asked whether the dog is a service dog required because of a disability AND what work or tasks has the dog been trained to perform
  • Work situations come under another part of the ADA and proof can be required.
  • School setting come under other regulations and proof of disability can be/is required
  • Disabled parking permits are not under ADA. Each state has their own regulations and requirements for permits, which do include minimum definitions of the disabilities covered and need for proof of disability. In the 1980s, state permits issued by one state were not being recognized in other states. This is what led to minimum standards that each put into their laws to ensure recognition by all
People bring up Universal and the third party they use and think it must be OK to require proof. I think they are operating in a loophole in the ADA which says proof of disability can't be required as a condition of giving accommodations.

We don't get Autism "cards," no, but we do have diagnostic paperwork from doctors/psychiatrists with an NPI that will show we have a genuine diagnosis. That would be easy enough to provide if they ever went the route of accepting (not requiring!) "proof."

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest