D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked at the 2015 app, most of the smaller panels ran an hour in length. The larger panels were two hours. Panels do start late sometimes and definitely ran over (Studio Animation!). Things to keep in mind, in addition to the factoring in line-up time. Also? We don't know yet what the panel options for StagePass will be, which can impact lines and stand-by availability.

Four panels seems ambitious to me, honestly.

Thanks for this! I sort of figured it was too much. As we get more info about stage passes and such I'll try and figure out which one to cut.

Just booked my dining for the Disneyland/DCA portion of my trip. I'm planning on Carthay Circle World of Color Dining Package one day - I'm hoping there isn't a dress code for lunch since I'll be in shorts and either a tank top or T-shirt - anyone know?

I'm hoping I won't be too tired on July 14th to enjoy Naples since that day is my birthday and I wanted some pizza and maybe do some shopping at DTD that evening.

Speaking of food - I'm guessing I won't be able to bring in a sandwich in my backpack for the Expo? I noticed it said no outside food - I figured snacks and water and maybe a diet coke are ok but sandwiches aren't? I don't want to get out of line for food - especially on Saturday when I'll be in line most of the day for the Parks and Resorts panel.
I was hoping to avoid the annoying long lines at the food trucks that I remember from the Robotics World Competition - even the Hilton Food Court was insane.

And the hunt is on for a portable stool with 4 legs for sitting on in lines. I've given up on 3 leg stools after constantly falling off those.
I want it to fit in my backpack. Anyone have a favorite brand? There are tons on Amazon.

Last edited:
Just booked my dining for the Disneyland/DCA portion of my trip. I'm planning on Carthay Circle World of Color Dining Package one day - I'm hoping there isn't a dress code for lunch since I'll be in shorts and either a tank top or T-shirt - anyone know?

I'm hoping I won't be too tired on July 14th to enjoy Naples since that day is my birthday and I wanted some pizza and maybe do some shopping at DTD that evening.

Speaking of food - I'm guessing I won't be able to bring in a sandwich in my backpack for the Expo? I noticed it said no outside food - I figured snacks and water and maybe a diet coke are ok but sandwiches aren't? I don't want to get out of line for food - especially on Saturday when I'll be in line most of the day for the Parks and Resorts panel.
I was hoping to avoid the annoying long lines at the food trucks that I remember from the Robotics World Competition - even the Hilton Food Court was insane.

Regarding food, I was kind of figuring it was the same as the "in name only" rule at the parks. Technically the parks rules say no outside food and beverage too, but of course it's allowed. Of course different people enforcing so who knows. I have food allergies so I bring in food either way.

@GaSleepingBeautyFan No dress code for Carthay Circle, to my knowledge.

And we always bring snacks into the Expo because of allergies, like @ashley0139. Had my bag searched and I've been wanded with security, but never had issues. We keep it simple (protein bars, etc.), just things to keep us going until a real meal...which is sadly dinner because the days are so long.

So much good stuff on the schedule now! I don't know how I will be able to pick between some of these things, why can't I be in two or three places at once!

How in the world do you choose what to do at the Expo? So many choices! Yikes!
A lot of panels will be on YouTube later. The best way to do it is figure out what you want to EXPERIENCE. If a panel simply gives you information you might find interesting, it might not be worth it. If something offers you an experience, like a concert, or absolutely can't be filmed like the animation and live action panels, then those are priority. But in the end it's totally up to you. Remember, between all the panels there is the show floor. I could spend my entire expo at the animation booth picking up swag and autographs and not go to a single panel and still fee like I got my time and money's worth.

I really wanted to go to Parks and Resorts, but that might not happen now, since that's information we'll find out pretty much immediately afterwards.

Everyone ready for some heartbreaks?

Panels

Friday July 14

10 am: Disney Legends Awards Ceremony: Carrie Fisher (Star Wars Princess Leia, Mark Hamill (Star Wars Luke Skywalker), Clyde Gerry Geronimi (Disney shorts animator, supervising director for Sleeping Beauty, contributed to Cinderella/Peter Pan/101 Dalmatians etc., Manue Gonzales (newspaper comic Mickey artist), Wayne Jackson (Disney attractions, instrumental in early audio-animatronics, helped created POTC and the HM at DL), Stan Lee (Creator of many Marvel comics characters including Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, X-Men, Daredevil and Falcon), Garry Marshall (producer of the Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. Director of films Pretty Woman, Princess Diaries), Julie Taymor (adapted the Lion King to Broadway), Oprah.

11 am: Mouseguerade Costume Contest judged by Ashley Eckstein, Kara Saun and Yvette Nicole Brown

11:30 am: 60 Years of Zorro

1:15 pm: D23 Expo Arena Cup O’ Joe panel featuring Marvel’s chief creative officer, Joe Quesada

1:30 pm: A Virtual Visit to Walt Disney's Hyperion Studio

2:30 pm: Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios: Host John Lasseter. Panel will feature Coco and Ralph Breaks the Internet. Surprise announcements, musical performances and appearances by star voice talent (CELL PHONES, CAMERAS AND ALL RECORDING DEVICES WILL BE CHECKED)

2:30 pm: The Golden Girls A Celebration of Friendship, Laughter and Cheesecake

3 pm: Ludwig Von Drake and Walt Disney's Colorful TV Revolution

3:30 pm: Pirates of the Caribbean 50 years of swashbuckling adventures in Disney Parks

4:15 pm: Disney Legends 30th Anniversary. Leonard Maltin, Bill Farmer, Bob Gurr, Dave Smith and Mark Hamill

4:30 pm: Ink & Paint The Women of Walt Disney's Animation

6 pm: Stage 28 Marvel Animation

6 pm: Melodies in Walt's Time: The Music of Disney Live Action Films. Live performance by a 20 voice chorus and Lesley Ann Warren, Karen Dotrice and others. Hosted by Whoopi Goldberg. Featuring songs from Summer Magic, Mary Poppins, The Happiest Millionaire, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band and more.

6 pm: Park Stars: Original Characters of the Disney Parks (for example: Figment, Big Al, Chandu, the Hatbox Ghost)

Descendants 2: stars Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Sofia Carson, BoobooStewart. Director/Choreographer/Executive Producer Kenny Ortega

Saturday July 15

10 am: Marc Davis Goes to WED

10:30 am: The Walt Disney Studios Live Action Films

10:30 am Stage 28: The Power of the Princess. Hosted by Disney animators Amy Smeed and Kira Lehtomaki as they are joined by Jodie Benson (Ariel), Ming-Na Wen (Mulan), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) and Auli’I Carvalho (Moana)

11:30 am: The Hidden Art of Disney - A Behind the Scenes Look at the 'They Drew as the Pleased' Series.

12:15 pm Stage 28: Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe

1:30 pm: Walt, Kaye and Marceline: A Very Big, Small Town Story

2:30 pm Stage 28: Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film

3 pm: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with Bob Chapek

3 pm: Disney and Pixar did that? Advertisements and Animated Commercials

4:15- 5:15 pm Stage 28: DuckTales Q&A. Stars Ben Schwartz (Dewey), Kate Micucci (Webby), Beck Bennett (Launchpad), Toks Olagundoye (Mrs. Beakley), executive producer Matt Youngberg, co-producer/story editor Francisco Angones

6pm Stage 28: The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters

6 pm: Yesterday's Tomorrow: Disney's Magical Mid Century

Sunday July 16

10 am: Writing with Walt: Researching in the Magic Kingdom of Good Eating

10:30-11:30 am Stage 28: Tangled the Series. Stars Mandy Moore (Rapunzel), Zachary Levi (Flynn), Jeremy Jordan (Varian), executive producer Chris Sonnenburg and co-executive producer Ben Balistreri

11:30 am Walt Disney Archives Stage: Bambi’s 75th Anniversary, personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of the film and its exquisite hand drawn artwork.

12:15 pm: Inspiring Women of Imagineering

12:30 pm: Zero to Hero The Making of Hercules. John Musker, Ron Clements, Eric Goldberg, Ken Duncan, Susan Egan and Tat Donovan

1:30 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

1:30 pm: Magic in the Details: How Disney Historical Collections Continue to Inspire

2:30 pm: Voices of Disney Parks

3:15 pm: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves 80th Anniversary Screening

3:30 pm: Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk through - Celebrating 60 Years of Walt's Most Charming Tableaux

5 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

5 pm: Pop Disney: Six Degrees of Separation

6 pm: Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering. John Stamos moderates between Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter and Wayne Jackson.

Last edited:
Everyone ready for some heartbreaks?

Panels

Friday July 14

10 am: Disney Legends Awards Ceremony: Carrie Fisher (Star Wars Princess Leia, Mark Hamill (Star Wars Luke Skywalker), Clyde Gerry Geronimi (Disney shorts animator, supervising director for Sleeping Beauty, contributed to Cinderella/Peter Pan/101 Dalmatians etc., Manue Gonzales (newspaper comic Mickey artist), Wayne Jackson (Disney attractions, instrumental in early audio-animatronics, helped created POTC and the HM at DL), Stan Lee (Creator of many Marvel comics characters including Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, X-Men, Daredevil and Falcon), Garry Marshall (producer of the Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. Director of films Pretty Woman, Princess Diaries), Julie Taymor (adapted the Lion King to Broadway), Oprah.

11 am: Mouseguerade Costume Contest judged by Ashley Eckstein, Kara Saun and Yvette Nicole Brown

1:15 pm: D23 Expo Arena Cup O’ Joe panel featuring Marvel’s chief creative officer, Joe Quesada

2:30 pm: Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios: Host John Lasseter. Panel will feature Coco and Ralph Breaks the Internet. Surprise announcements, musical performances and appearances by star voice talent (CELL PHONES, CAMERAS AND ALL RECORDING DEVICES WILL BE CHECKED)

2:30 pm: The Golden Girls A Celebration of Friendship, Laughter and Cheesecake

3:30 pm: Pirates of the Caribbean 50 years of swashbuckling adventures in Disney Parks

4:15 pm: Disney Legends 30th Anniversary. Leonard Maltin, Bill Farmer, Bob Gurr, Dave Smith and Mark Hamill

6 pm: Stage 28 Marvel Animation

6 pm: Melodies in Walt's Time: The Music of Disney Live Action Films. Live performance by a 20 voice chorus and Lesley Ann Warren, Karen Dotrice and others. Hosted by Whoopi Goldberg. Featuring songs from Summer Magic, Mary Poppins, The Happiest Millionaire, The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band and more.

Descendants 2: stars Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Sofia Carson, BoobooStewart. Director/Choreographer/Executive Producer Kenny Ortega

Saturday July 15

10:30 am: The Walt Disney Studios Live Action Films

10:30 am Stage 28: The Power of the Princess. Hosted by Disney animators Amy Smeed and Kira Lehtomaki as they are joined by Jodie Benson (Ariel), Ming-Na Wen (Mulan), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) and Auli’I Carvalho (Moana)

12:15 pm Stage 28: Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe

2:30 pm Stage 28: Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film

3 pm: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with Bob Chapek

4:15- 5:15 pm Stage 28: DuckTales Q&A. Stars Ben Schwartz (Dewey), Kate Micucci (Webby), Beck Bennett (Launchpad), Toks Olagundoye (Mrs. Beakley), executive producer Matt Youngberg, co-producer/story editor Francisco Angones

6pm Stage 28: The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters

Sunday July 16

10:30-11:30 am Stage 28: Tangled the Series. Stars Mandy Moore (Rapunzel), Zachary Levi (Flynn), Jeremy Jordan (Varian), executive producer Chris Sonnenburg and co-executive producer Ben Balistreri

11:30 am Walt Disney Archives Stage: Bambi’s 75th Anniversary, personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of the film and its exquisite hand drawn artwork.

12:15 pm: Inspiring Women of Imagineering

12:30 pm: Zero to Hero The Making of Hercules. John Musker, Ron Clements, Eric Goldberg, Ken Duncan, Susan Egan and Tat Donovan

1:30 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

2:30 pm: Voices of Disney Parks

3:15 pm: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves 80th Anniversary Screening

5 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

6 pm: Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering. John Stamos moderates between Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter and Wayne Jackson.

Thanks for the update! This is very helpful. And yes, heartbreaking. Now both Alan Menken concerts are during other amazing things. Why is the Legends of Disney Imagineering on Sunday at 6?? I saw them last year so I might have to skip that one I guess. I never expected Sunday to be the heartbreaking day but it is killing me. I want to go to everything that day.

Full schedule (that we have at this point) is up on the website! I'm sure this will change and things will be added, but information seems to be coming at a quick pace these days.

https://d23.com/d23-expo-2017-friday-july-14/

I just noticed - there is no Stage 23 this year, only Stage 28. Is the D23 Expo Arena the same thing as the old stage 23?

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the schedule. I need to go study the schedule from 2015, but doesn't it almost seem like they overlapped the panels so much that it is impossible to see more than 1 or 2 a day?

Like a lot overlap by just 15 minutes. Is that really necessary?

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the schedule. I need to go study the schedule from 2015, but doesn't it almost seem like they overlapped the panels so much that it is impossible to see more than 1 or 2 a day?

Like a lot overlap by just 15 minutes. Is that really necessary?

Sunday seems particularly bad to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter