Current Internet Options

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
It's been a long time since I had to think about using the internet on a DCL ship. What are the current options like? I'll be on a 4-night sailing of the Magic if it matters. No need for streaming, but I do want to check for mail and generally browse the internet from time to time.

It's by the day/length of cruise now versus by the MB. The middle plan, which covers email and web browsing is $26/day I believe.

It's by the day/length of cruise now versus by the MB. The middle plan, which covers email and web browsing is $26/day I believe.
Thanks. That helps. Is that for all your devices? At various times I'll be on my iPhone, iPad or Computer.

You pay by device. You can share the logon between devices, but it will disconnect the last one that was logged on.
In practice, you pay based on the number of simultaneous users you want to be able to connect. There is a discount to add a second, third, etc. active user on the same account/stateroom, but we do not find a need to do this. We pay for a single user and share the plan, so the system logs off the first user/device when the second user/device tries to connect. DW activates the service on her phone and stays connected most of the time. Once a day, I connect with my tablet (at which point her phone is disconnected) and I check email, a couple of news sites, etc. After that, I’m offline and chill out.

Thanks all. Very helpful info.

In addition to web browsing does the internet package allow you to make calls out on your phone. We have iphones. It has been a long time since we have flown and the return flight is on the same day we disembark. I want to be able to check the flight status while on board incase I have to call the airlines if the change will not work for us . We are already on the earliest flight that DCL recommends at 11:07 am when using Disney Transportation.

Also with the internet package are you checking emails through the normal process of the emails downloading to the phone or are you checking them by going to the email provider site? For anyone that has Verizon did you use the Verizon cruise daily pass at $30 per day which includes 50 minutes of talk?

The basic internet package does not include calling but the middle and top tiers do. You would want to make sure you have wi-fi calling enabled and you regular phone service off to ensure it routes properly.
You can check your email either way since it's time based now and not usage based, depends on your preference. I found emails loaded to the associated app pretty quickly as long as they are just text.

Reactions: dwg
In addition to web browsing does the internet package allow you to make calls out on your phone. We have iphones. It has been a long time since we have flown and the return flight is on the same day we disembark. I want to be able to check the flight status while on board incase I have to call the airlines if the change will not work for us . We are already on the earliest flight that DCL recommends at 11:07 am when using Disney Transportation.

Also with the internet package are you checking emails through the normal process of the emails downloading to the phone or are you checking them by going to the email provider site? For anyone that has Verizon did you use the Verizon cruise daily pass at $30 per day which includes 50 minutes of talk?
what is the Verizon cruise daily pass?

what is the Verizon cruise daily pass?

From DCL Website:

• Cellular at Sea​

Disney Cruise Line offers Cellular at Sea—a convenient cruise mobile phone service available in staterooms and public spaces aboard the ship. Please contact your cellular provider for your specific rates.
    AT&T and Verizon Customers
    Easy-to-use cruise plans are available from AT&T and Verizon. Choose the plan that meets your needs for talk, text and data.

From Verizon:
You’ll only pay on days you use your phone at sea. Text
“CRUISE” to 4004 before or at the start of your cruise to
add a daily pass to your line. Or add it now via Trip Planner.
Includes:

• 0.5 GB of data per day
  • 50 minutes of incoming/outgoing calls per
    day (Overage: $1.99/min)
  • Unlimited texts
Your Cruise Daily Pass is a 24-hour session which begins
when you make or answer a call, send a text or use data
(including background data) while onboard your cruise ship
at sea. See if service is available on your cruise line.

If you disembark the ship during a Cruise Daily Pass
session, you’ll pay applicable rates for the country you’re
visiting.

You’ll only be charged for the days you use Cruise Daily
Pass at sea, so there’s no need to remove it when you
return home. It will stay on your line and be ready for your
next cruise.

I do not have a clue how far 0.5 GB of data will get you so not sure this is better than going to a higher tier of the DCL internet plan which allows internet calling as DynamicDisneyDuo mentioned in the post above yours. I also don't know if activating the Verizon cruise pass interferes in any way with taking a higher tier of the DCL internet plan. Actually very confused as I never needed any type of internet plan before.

Last edited:

From DCL Website:

• Cellular at Sea​

Disney Cruise Line offers Cellular at Sea—a convenient cruise mobile phone service available in staterooms and public spaces aboard the ship. Please contact your cellular provider for your specific rates.
    AT&T and Verizon Customers
    Easy-to-use cruise plans are available from AT&T and Verizon. Choose the plan that meets your needs for talk, text and data.

From Verizon:
You’ll only pay on days you use your phone at sea. Text
“CRUISE” to 4004 before or at the start of your cruise to
add a daily pass to your line. Or add it now via Trip Planner.
Includes:

• 0.5 GB of data per day
  • 50 minutes of incoming/outgoing calls per
    day (Overage: $1.99/min)
  • Unlimited texts
Your Cruise Daily Pass is a 24-hour session which begins
when you make or answer a call, send a text or use data
(including background data) while onboard your cruise ship
at sea. See if service is available on your cruise line.

If you disembark the ship during a Cruise Daily Pass
session, you’ll pay applicable rates for the country you’re
visiting.

You’ll only be charged for the days you use Cruise Daily
Pass at sea, so there’s no need to remove it when you
return home. It will stay on your line and be ready for your
next cruise.

I do not have a clue how far 0.5 GB of data will get you so not sure this is better than going to a higher tier of the DCL internet plan which allows internet calling as DynamicDisneyDuo mentioned in the post above yours. I also don't know if activating the Verizon cruise pass interferes in any way with taking a higher tier of the DCL internet plan. Actually very confused as I never needed any type of internet plan before.
anyone with experience with this?

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest