Could the reopening be pushed back?

I’m actually wondering if that too will have a bearing on us here at WDW. I’m telling you right now, DVCDM better have a plan a place to address the shut downs of these resorts again. They can’t have it both ways.... Theme Parks are not guaranteed but my right to use what I own is.

Disneyland is totally different ballgame than World

Disney WANTS to open Disneyland but California is slowing it down. This was NOT Disney decision to halt the opening. Their hands were tied.

World has resorts open already, CM's already recalled and training.

With NBA and MLS playing at Disney World DVC WILL NOT shutdown again. Disney would have a real big mess on their hands if they tried doing that.

Now I guess they could delay theme parks opening but I doubt they will

Disney WANTS to open Disneyland but California is slowing it down. This was NOT Disney decision to halt the opening. Their hands were tied.

With NBA and MLS playing at Disney World DVC WILL NOT shutdown again. Disney would have a real big mess on their hands if they tried doing that.

Yeah I don't buy any of Disney's delay after Universal having to watch how they handle things and the state of the pandemic. It was the minimum lead time required to ramp up and open. WDW is gigantic and the coordination in recalling and turning stuff back on takes a month just to get started.

WDW staff officially starts coming back next week. If the numbers keep getting significantly worse through the end of the week... All bets are off. They can still push this thing back, and you better believe they are discussing the possibility every day.

I think once the resorts opened this week and with the new reservation system up and running and days already being sold out it is HIGHLY unlikely.

They had no choice but to open the resorts. No one is at the resorts I was at 2 of them the last 3 days. They know the resorts will pickup when parks open. So they delay the opening and keep the resorts opened and bleed money by keeping them open with very few guests? Again HIGHLY UNLIKELY

I think once the resorts opened this week and with the new reservation system up and running and days already being sold out it is HIGHLY unlikely.

They had no choice but to open the resorts. No one is at the resorts I was at 2 of them the last 3 days. They know the resorts will pickup when parks open. So they delay the opening and keep the resorts opened and bleed money by keeping them open with very few guests? Again HIGHLY UNLIKELY
It was highly unlikely one month ago.

Today? Not so much. I'm not saying that it's more likely than not that they push back the opening, I'm just saying that it's not such a long shot as things stand right now. They are closely monitoring the situation.

It should go without saying, but money isn't the only factor here.

It was highly unlikely one month ago.

Today? Not so much. I'm not saying that it's more likely than not that they push back the opening, I'm just saying that it's not such a long shot as things stand right now. They are closely monitoring the situation.

It should go without saying, but money isn't the only factor here.

Well if an announcement is coming it has to be within the next 5 days. Previews begin the 7th. They will need to give people at least a week to cancel airlines and such

Well if an announcement is coming it has to be within the next 5 days. Previews begin the 7th. They will need to give people at least a week to cancel airlines and such

I agree that it will need to come very soon, however the concern isn't so much guests having to cancel plans, but rather that they have to essentially reverse all of the callbacks of their staff as well as begin activating purchase orders for perishable goods in each park.

The key period to watch is today through Saturday. If numbers continue to escalate, there will be some very long and tense meetings being held internally.

That's a sad rate of increase :(

Universal laid a bunch of people off yesterday.

Things aren't looking so good in Orlando right now between FL not getting a handle on spread and state quarantines ramping up. Those are new challenges just this week. The situation can get better over the next 2 weeks, or we can have 2 more weeks like this one.

That's a sad rate of increase :(

Universal laid a bunch of people off yesterday.

Things aren't looking so good in Orlando right now between FL not getting a handle on spread and state quarantines ramping up. Those are new challenges just this week. The situation can get better over the next 2 weeks, or we can have 2 more weeks like this one.
I don't think Universal had laid anyone off prior to re-opening. With reduced capacity they don't have as much staffing needs sadly. They probably waited to see the crowds and if they ever hit capacity the last few weeks before making a decision.

I don't think Universal had laid anyone off prior to re-opening. With reduced capacity they don't have as much staffing needs sadly. They probably waited to see the crowds and if they ever hit capacity the last few weeks before making a decision.
Ahh, I figured it was some of the people who just got back to work.

Also noted on the other thread the President of disney world has told cast members opening will remain the same.

I really don't think at this point anything is stopping this opening.

But Disney has to consider it's employees and, when you think about them, it is quite likely Disney will not be opening as planned if these cases continue. It would not be surprising if the NBA plans get cancelled, also. Who wants to take the risk? Obviously many don't and thus the petition. Facts/reality can't be ignored.

just not accurate. By all indications, Disney fully intends to open WDW as scheduled. True many do not want to take the risk, and Disney is accommodating a very reasonable cancellation policy. However, it is not “quite likely Disney will not be opening”.

I'm in Pennsylvania. The governor has a mask required rule in place. I went to Walmart. Walmart has a great big sign that says "no mask no entry". They have an employee standing there making sure that everyone is wearing a mask when they come in. However, fully 20% of the people immediately removed their masks as soon as they got in the store! I even saw an employee with no mask whatsoever walking around the store.

When my wife exclaimed "Where is your mask?" to a young man who was passing within a foot of her, the reply was "fake news, fake disease!"

You can't argue with stupid.

I heard someone say the other day "America is in a civil war right now with the intelligent versus the stupid, and the stupid are winning". It's like your doctor telling you that you need to stop smoking, but you disregard that advice because your auto mechanic told you smoking never hurt anyone. Pure insanity, driven by a political campaign.

I heard someone say the other day "America is in a civil war right now with the intelligent versus the stupid, and the stupid are winning". It's like your doctor telling you that you need to stop smoking, but you disregard that advice because your auto mechanic told you smoking never hurt anyone. Pure insanity, driven by a political campaign.
I'm going to slightly disagree with you. Here, most around my neighborhood, I think, skew conservative, but they wear masks to Publix for the most part. The biggest difference I see on wearing masks seems to be more generational. Perhaps because I'm in a college town, but most under-30's just aren't wearing masks out...

Florida politicians remind me of the Mayor in the Jaws movie.
Jaws is playing at our local Drive-In theatre tonight 😆 in Warwick, NY.

Made me laugh since seeing all the Jaws memes these past months. Coincidentally this Drive-In just held the graduation for my HS senior's class last week.

Just to clarify, Disneyland did postpone the opening on the 17th voluntarily because they are still waiting for their plan to be approved by the state. Guidance is coming in July. Disneyland felt that they were running out of time to start calling up workers, etc. so they delayed the opening. Also, many workers have concerns about opening during the current upward trend of infections. Orange County is having some issues with people refusing to wear masks (and the LA and Orange county health officials have received death threats for requiring masks) which makes a lot of the cast members concerned that they will refuse to wear them in the park.

Just to clarify, Disneyland did postpone the opening on the 17th voluntarily because they are still waiting for their plan to be approved by the state. Guidance is coming in July. Disneyland felt that they were running out of time to start calling up workers, etc. so they delayed the opening. Also, many workers have concerns about opening during the current upward trend of infections. Orange County is having some issues with people refusing to wear masks (and the LA and Orange county health officials have received death threats for requiring masks) which makes a lot of the cast members concerned that they will refuse to wear them in the park.

I have read differently.

Also being discussed on the boards

I'm going to slightly disagree with you. Here, most around my neighborhood, I think, skew conservative, but they wear masks to Publix for the most part. The biggest difference I see on wearing masks seems to be more generational. Perhaps because I'm in a college town, but most under-30's just aren't wearing masks out...

I’m basing it on what I see here in PA - north of Philly. It’s usually the middle aged white males who I see walking around stores with no masks on. In one instance the guy and his kids were in like fake coughing and sneezing mocking those around them.

Most of the HS & college kids here in the suburbs where I am are the ones always wearing the masks - though I truly think for many it’s for Instagram likes as much as anything.

yep. I’ve officially become an old man.

facebook twitter