Could the reopening be pushed back?

eleven24

DVC AKV 2007
Seeing the coronavirus cases surging of late in Florida, I'm wondering if the July 11 reopening date could be in jeopardy. I could see Disney pushing that reopening back a few weeks more than I could envision them opening up and then shutting down again a month later.

Reason for my concern is that I just rebooked my July 11-16 trip for January as the idea of just 2 parks being open for the majority of our stay wasn't worth it. It was to be our annual Disney father/son getaway, only this time to celebrate his HS graduation. Considering everything he's lost in his Senior year of HS, canceling the trip was tough. I was trying to surprise him with an extended weekend in August before he heads off to college, but now am on the fence with doing so seeing what is going on in FL.

Tough seeing points available in this UY that could go to waste if not used, plus each of us having an AP which we were hoping to get 2-3 trips in over 12 months on.

Seeing the coronavirus cases surging of late in Florida, I'm wondering if the July 11 reopening date could be in jeopardy. I could see Disney pushing that reopening back a few weeks more than I could envision them opening up and then shutting down again a month later.

Reason for my concern is that I just rebooked my July 11-16 trip for January as the idea of just 2 parks being open for the majority of our stay wasn't worth it. It was to be our annual Disney father/son getaway, only this time to celebrate his HS graduation. Considering everything he's lost in his Senior year of HS, canceling the trip was tough. I was trying to surprise him with an extended weekend in August before he heads off to college, but now am on the fence with doing so seeing what is going on in FL.

Tough seeing points available in this UY that could go to waste if not used, plus each of us having an AP which we were hoping to get 2-3 trips in over 12 months on.

I was wondering about this too. I saw a post on Facebook today about a petition by about 3 thousand cast members urging Disney to push back the opening. Wondered if they might get some action.

Disney has implemented thorough procedures to prevent the spread of the virus at Disney. They will open as scheduled and likely will not close unless significant numbers of CMs and Guests contract the virus.

Mask ordinances are going into effect in various counties here in FL this week and last. That should, hopefully, flatten any spikes by the time the resort opens.

I agree with what has been said. Will the CM petition asking to delay reopening affect anything?

Sorry, it will not let me post a link, but if you google it you will see the news articles regarding the petition.

I understand two days does not mean it’s a trend, but the last couple of days new cases have dropped. I hope it continues.
The Governor has also told the hospitals to fudge their ICU numbers yesterday. 5500 new cases in Florida in the last 24 hours, where did you hear that Fla numbers have been going down? If anything it's one of the hotspots right now.

Last edited:
Really, DVC is what is keeping Disney from shutting down again IMO.

NBA and MLS would NOT be able to use Disney property if they shutdown again.

They shutdown DVC and keep things open for NBA and MLS, that would open Disney up to big problems legally.

For this reason I dont see Disney shutting down again or delaying an opening.

I know political conversation is quick to get shut down here, but sadly it’s hard to even talk about social distancing and masks when it’s been turned into a political divide. Florida has 5,500+ new cases today. The US is at 30k per day for the last few days & we can’t get a unified message from our elected leaders. Numbers are not only going up because of increased testing. This is not just the flu. I want everything to go back to normal sooner than ASAP, but I hate this feeling like we have to figure out on our own who to trust. It saddens me when I hear a cast member was spat upon because they requested a guest at Disney Springs wear a mask. It saddens me to read the open letter from a CM to all of us future guests to just please be understanding to them if they reopen and adhere to guidelines.

I do think the parks and all businesses could still open, provided the proper precautions are adhered to. I know that’s not going to happen, and as such I don’t think WDW should reopen amid the current situation in FL

I know political conversation is quick to get shut down here, but sadly it’s hard to even talk about social distancing and masks when it’s been turned into a political divide. Florida has 5,500+ new cases today. The US is at 30k per day for the last few days & we can’t get a unified message from our elected leaders. Numbers are not only going up because of increased testing. This is not just the flu. I want everything to go back to normal sooner than ASAP, but I hate this feeling like we have to figure out on our own who to trust. It saddens me when I hear a cast member was spat upon because they requested a guest at Disney Springs wear a mask. It saddens me to read the open letter from a CM to all of us future guests to just please be understanding to them if they reopen and adhere to guidelines.

I do think the parks and all businesses could still open, provided the proper precautions are adhered to. I know that’s not going to happen, and as such I don’t think WDW should reopen amid the current situation in FL
Agreed.

Really, DVC is what is keeping Disney from shutting down again IMO.

NBA and MLS would NOT be able to use Disney property if they shutdown again.

They shutdown DVC and keep things open for NBA and MLS, that would open Disney up to big problems legally.

For this reason I dont see Disney shutting down again or delaying an opening.
I think also that you would have to look at each location. For instance Orange/Osceola have a very different look than Indian River County (Vero).

But couldn't Disney keep DVC open, but not open the theme parks? The NBA isn't going to the theme parks, so they could most likely still use WDW. The petition seems to be mainly concerned about the theme parks.

But couldn't Disney keep DVC open, but not open the theme parks? The NBA isn't going to the theme parks, so they could most likely still use WDW. The petition seems to be mainly concerned about the theme parks.
I think that if they shut it down, then all the Union workers would be stopped and since they supply the resorts as well, it could have an effect...

This is what is going on here (a college town)...
Tusc_COVID.PNG

Was just mentioned on the other thread Orange County officials have NO plans to stop Disney. Would be Disney's decision.

OP, sorry about your trips with your son and, hopefully, it will turn out okay for you and other planners. I am about to cancel our family Dec. 2020 trip and hope we can get there next year with our kids and grandkids. No one is willing to take the risk. So many hours of planning...

But Disney has to consider it's employees and, when you think about them, it is quite likely Disney will not be opening as planned if these cases continue. It would not be surprising if the NBA plans get cancelled, also. Who wants to take the risk? Obviously many don't and thus the petition. Facts/reality can't be ignored.

The very unfortunate thing about (mostly young) people thinking it's okay to get the virus is that there is no guarantee of lasting immunity and the long-lasting effects on bodies has yet to be determined, but it doesn't look good. I have a 57 year old brother who thinks everyone should just get it already :sad2:

It is very odd how political this is (as was mentioned) and very sad for our country.

It looks like their opening date was positioned behind Uni and other parks to have the advantage of seeing how those played out first. Also left time to see how the rest of the country is fairing around Phase 2's summertime re-openings. They still have a couple of weeks left to see if things go south.

I feel like they'll try their best to get WDW opened but would halt if things get much worse.
Maybe B territory right now?

A) 100% chance to open; no chance they won't
B) 85% chance to open; 15% they won't
C) 70% chance to open; 30% they won't
D) Greater than 30% chance they won't open

TN is different than FL, and we felt safe in Dollywood. With today’s numbers in FL, I am now reconsidering our September WDW visit.

We just spent three nights at The Inn at Christmas Place. We felt safe. Dollywood is where we spent our days, and we were very aware of the precautions being taken. A mask was required except when eating or drinking, on a thrill ride, or if you were in a designated area. Hosts and county sheriffs reminded people if they had masks off, and people listened.

The rest of Pigeon Forge was not like that. Very few masks, indoor seating, and we only took take out, and only one in our group went in to pick up, and he wore a mask.

I hope after two weeks back, we still feel it was worth the getaway. We were meeting good friends and it was an emotional trip.

facebook twitter