Continued problems with the engines on the Fantasy

Most nights in Animator's Palate we saw water glasses go "dancing" off the tables.

This has to be hyperbole, because I've cruised on the Fantasy six times since 2013. I've yet to see a water glass go "dancing" off a table, and we've been caught in some pretty severe wind and wave action three different times. The only dancing glasses I've seen have been on the video screens.

This has to be hyperbole, because I've cruised on the Fantasy six times since 2013. I've yet to see a water glass go "dancing" off a table, and we've been caught in some pretty severe wind and wave action three different times. The only dancing glasses I've seen have been on the video screens.
I can only vouch for MY water glass. OK, I stopped it before it actually fell, but it did make it's way to the edge of the table.

I can only vouch for MY water glass. OK, I stopped it before it actually fell, but it did make it's way to the edge of the table.
Totally believe you, PrincessShmoo. It's possible that, in my case, we kept picking up our glasses enough that such a thing wasn't noticeable. Also, different weather, different sailing, who knows. I just know we didn't notice anything like that for our sailing, which is good, since maybe it's not always as bad as your sailing was.

Past Fantasy cruiser here! I sailed in 9176, full aft & center, in May 2013. Pure misery. The vibrating when we out to sea sailing was awful. Kept me awake at night. Then there was bits of soot on the verandah so I didn’t want to walk out barefoot or sit on the loungers. I’ve sworn to never sail aft again. I’ve since been in 5028 (Sept 2013) which is forward of the forward elevators. Also 7630 (May 2017, post drydock) which is mid but more aft. I’ve never felt the vibration as horribly as the full aft room. Further aft I feel it more. I tend to seek forward rooms more.

Yes, as others have described it is vibration that is the problem aft on the Fantasy, not rocking. The rocking is from high seas and I have felt that on many ships, DCL ships and ships on other lines, clinking hangers and knocking doors due to the ship rocking. The problem on the Fantasy is like when you are in an old pick up and the engine is so out of whack that the whole cab is shaking just when the vehicle is idling. We do not get seasick and LOVE the ship rocking due to high seas. This is not rocking and not pleasant in any way. It is as though someone is shaking you kind of violently non stop. It is torture. It doesn't stop. It really feels like that ship is broken. I have sworn that I will not go back on that ship. But if I ever do (Star Wars at Sea I am talking to you), I will be at the very front. lol.

Yes, as others have described it is vibration that is the problem aft on the Fantasy, not rocking. The rocking is from high seas and I have felt that on many ships, DCL ships and ships on other lines, clinking hangers and knocking doors due to the ship rocking. The problem on the Fantasy is like when you are in an old pick up and the engine is so out of whack that the whole cab is shaking just when the vehicle is idling. We do not get seasick and LOVE the ship rocking due to high seas. This is not rocking and not pleasant in any way. It is as though someone is shaking you kind of violently non stop. It is torture. It doesn't stop. It really feels like that ship is broken. I have sworn that I will not go back on that ship. But if I ever do (Star Wars at Sea I am talking to you), I will be at the very front. lol.
I've described it as like those cheap-o motel vibrating beds.

You all have me nervous. First time cruiser and we sail on the Fantasy 9166 which is aft. I sincerely hope that this isn't pure torture or a horrible never again experience since we are spending 10 grand on this vacation!

I am perplexed. I wonder if I'm just not as sensitive or maybe it was bad by general cruise standards, but I just accepted it as it was our first time and I knew there'd be some noise and vibration. Or whether we had a really good cruise. I really only felt anything like what's described when the side thrusters were kicking in to dock. Our next cruise, we're mid-ship on the Dream. Now I'm wondering if I'll find it really quiet in comparison.

I am perplexed. I wonder if I'm just not as sensitive or maybe it was bad by general cruise standards, but I just accepted it as it was our first time and I knew there'd be some noise and vibration. Or whether we had a really good cruise. I really only felt anything like what's described when the side thrusters were kicking in to dock. Our next cruise, we're mid-ship on the Dream. Now I'm wondering if I'll find it really quiet in comparison.
I'm sure there are people who don't find the vibrations annoying. A lot depends on what sort of environment you were brought up in. Sadly, there are a number of us who find the vibration (and, yes, it's not on all ships) a problem.

For the most part the vibration is evident when the ship is traveling 20+ knots (mostly just in the evening/night when traveling between ports). It has nothing to do with the seas, or weather.

Yes, there is a vibration when porting, during the time that the thrusters are working, but that's different.

You all have me nervous. First time cruiser and we sail on the Fantasy 9166 which is aft. I sincerely hope that this isn't pure torture or a horrible never again experience since we are spending 10 grand on this vacation!

I haven't stayed waaaay aft, but always in the aft section on deck 7. I found the vibrations soothing as I was trying to fall asleep. DH did too. We always say how well we sleep onboard. It sounds like the farthest aft rooms, that face aft, are the worst, from what I am reading. Are you in one of those? For what it is worth, I'd book one even after reading this and decide for myself, because the verandahs looks great. They just haven't been available when we have sailed previously. Enjoy your trip...best vacation ever!

Our aft room on the Fantasy was across from the aft elevators and the vibrations were horrible, all day/night long, so it's not just those that are in the very aft of the ship. Felt like I was on top of a jack hammer.

I had a cat 5A on deck 9 and when the ship was traveling from St. Thomas to Castaway Cay, when they have to travel at close to max causing speed, there was definite vibration then enter time. It caused the towel animal on the bed to shake, the video screens in the Tube to vibrate, light fixtures in the aft elevation lobby to make noise from the vibration. While I like the Fantasy I think I'd pass taking it again on any itinerary that would require a high speed run which caused the vibration on our cruise.

We were on the Fantasy this past week and stay about as far aft as you can get in 8188. Sure, the vibration was noticeable, but it wasn't bothersome to us. If anything, we slept better because of the vibration. I was prepared with a seasickness patch just in case and had no problems. We picked this room for this verandah, which was amazing. It rained really hard one day at sea and we could still sit on the verandah and not get rained on.

We would rebook this room in a heartbeat.

We were on the Fantasy this past week and stay about as far aft as you can get in 8188. Sure, the vibration was noticeable, but it wasn't bothersome to us. If anything, we slept better because of the vibration. I was prepared with a seasickness patch just in case and had no problems. We picked this room for this verandah, which was amazing. It rained really hard one day at sea and we could still sit on the verandah and not get rained on.

We would rebook this room in a heartbeat.

Thank you for posting this. We have 9174 booked and were looking forward to the verandah as well. I was getting quite nervous but this does make me feel better!

Anyone know what’s going on on the Fantasy right now? I saw a comment on FB about loss of power in some of the dining venues?

Someone from tech was trying to fix something in the Oceaneers Club & blew a circuit for the whole zone. I wouldn't want to be the cast member responsible:sad2:

I was on the same cruise but didn't experience any vibration or engine problems. We did get the Red Parties warning in the middle of the night because of smoke in the engine room but nothing affected the speed or our cruise as I have experienced before.

Also I didn't know a single person who got sick and neither did my daughter. I heard second hand that all the people who got sick were in Royal Court second seating the second night. We had the extra safety measures for the rest of the cruise unfortunately.

I was on Deck 12 FWD and felt the vibration every night. About 100 people got sick, and it was unrelated to the RC.

I can't even imagine the kind of vibrations you all are describing. We were on the Dream last year, up at Palo, and I remember laughing and taking video of DH's spinach benedict because the eggs were dancing. And that's the top floor of a ship that isn't know to have issues. I'm assuming it's ten times worse on the Fantasy?

I can't even imagine the kind of vibrations you all are describing. We were on the Dream last year, up at Palo, and I remember laughing and taking video of DH's spinach benedict because the eggs were dancing. And that's the top floor of a ship that isn't know to have issues. I'm assuming it's ten times worse on the Fantasy?
Well, it was on the 3 cruises I've done on the Fantasy. Only done one Dream cruise, and I don't recall any vibrations like on the Fantasy.

Were the eggs actually moving around? Or just jiggling?

Last edited:
Well, it was on the 3 cruises I've done on the Fantasy. Only done one Dream cruise, and I don't recall any vibrations like on the Fantasy.

Were the eggs actually moving around? Or just jiggling?

Just jiggling. It was just so funny at the time. I don't think it's an issue on the Dream at all compared to the Fantasy, but we did feel it vibrating up there and were glad we didn't have an aft room (I book midship due to seasickness issues). It must be so much worse on the Fantasy for people to be posting about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter