Colonial Williamsburg without ticket purchase?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
I had previous made a post about visiting this area, but at the time we were unsettled about what parts we planned to visit. We are traveling to Outer Banks with a stop over in Williamsburg. We will have Sunday morning from opening (website says 9am) till noon-1pm to check things out.

We are not history buffs but we do think the area seems interesting. None of us have been - it’s my husband and I and our 10 year old daughter. Would you pay admission and try to take in as much as possible? Or would you just walk through and see what you can see from afar so to speak?

You can get a feel for the area just by walking around. My first time we just walked around, popped in to some gift shops and left after about 2 hours. That visit made me want to go back and actually pay admission to tour the houses and hear more of the historical info. Maybe you could plan lunch at one of the on-site taverns for an authentic experience.

Not sure what the ticket costs but if it’s more than $20.00 and given the amt of time you have I’d wander around concentrating on seeing the individual houses and shops on…Duke of Worcester Street (maybe its the Duke of Gloucester?). Don’t think you have to pay for that.
Normally we stay at the hotels on site and the exhibition tickets are included.

Not sure what the ticket costs but if it’s more than $20.00 and given the amt of time you have I’d wander around concentrating on seeing the individual houses and shops on…Duke of Worcester Street (maybe its the Duke of Gloucester?). Don’t think you have to pay for that.
Normally we stay at the hotels on site and the exhibition tickets are included.
Adult tickets are $35.99 each and youth are $19.99

It's been a number of years since we took our 4 kids, we did not pay for admission and still had a nice day there.

They were under 10 years old and that was enough for us at those ages. Dh and I would love to go back and pay for the tours.

It's been a while since I've been, but I think the tickets are worthwhile -- assuming you have a whole day.

- Yes to going into the tavern.
- The church -- can't remember its name -- allows people in without tickets (maybe they had a donation box?), and I thought it was the single most interesting building. For a Disney tie-in, Pocahontas was christened Rebecca in that church; I find it interesting to stand in the building where that happened. The tour guide was wonderful, explaining why they had boxes instead of pews, talking about people being buried inside the church /under the stones. It was my favorite part of the day.
- Just a note: if you get the tickets and do the whole thing, definitely start on the end they recommend -- I think it might've been the Gov's palace? We started on the other end, thinking it wouldn't matter which house we saw first, but it DID matter: they kinda had a narrative set up, and that first stop was definitely "the introduction".
- Another note: because I have girls, I bought two copies of the American Girls' Colonial Williamsburg scavenger hunt (which was just a paper with things for them to find) before we went. The American Girls dolls were super popular at that point, and it kept their attention /gave them something very age-appropriate to do.

If you're interested in this concept, another good trip is the old fashioned Christmas program in Winston-Salem, NC. You have to call EARLY to get tickets to the event /they do sell out, and it's in the evening. Our costumed guide took us through a typical house, the Single Brothers' House, a store, a tavern/inn ... we tasted their old-fashioned cookies and hot chocolate in one place, were given old-fashioned candles in another spot ... then our family chose to finish the evening with a meal in the tavern. And of course we bought some of their delicious Moravian cookies. I was fascinated to learn that the original settlers in that area relied upon crafts, trades, etc. /were much better educated than I'd expected ... rather than farming (which was much more typical of the area). Young people were taught trades, and the small city was kinda the first industrial area in NC.

Here's a link to the museum, but I don't see any mention of the Christmas programs. though it's been several years, I am SURE I bought our tickets around September: https://www.oldsalem.org/

As much as I love Williamsburg with only a few hours to spend there I wouldn't recommend tickets. Best bet is wander Duke of Gloucester Street and check out the shops, especially the Prentice shop which carries merchandise made by Williamsburg craftspeople as well as some stuff contracted to outside experts in 18th century crafts, have lunch at one of the historical taverns (my favorite is Kings Arms), and spring for a carriage ride.

Or you can wander the campus of The College of William and Mary right next door to the historic area. There are some interesting buildings open without charge.

As always, you all have been so helpful! If we did pass on tickets, is there a distinct way to know what we are allowed inside of and what is off limits?

As always, you all have been so helpful! If we did pass on tickets, is there a distinct way to know what we are allowed inside of and what is off limits?
There is always someone outside the buildings that require a ticket checking for them and keeping count of the number of people accessing the site.

I'm currently in process of planning a 10 day trip to Colonial Williamsburg. It'll be the first time there in about 10 years (although I think I had 20 or move visits there...and seen a lot of changes).

Currently, most of the taverns have not yet reopened from Covid closures. The garden seating is open at Chownings Wednesday - Sunday (11:30 am - 7:30 pm). Kings Arms Tavern is open for indoor dining Wednesday - Sunday 4:30 - 8:00 pm. The website indicates that reservations are required.

The easiest rule of thumb for this is that if there's something for sale, you can go in without a ticket (shops and dining). Keep in mind that a number of the historic area shops also still haven't reopened from Covid closures. In my experience (it's been several years since I've been), although they do do some reenactments outside, for the most part, the area will be roped off while doing so and a ticket will be required to access that area. The event calendar on the Colonial Williamsburg website will give you an idea of what is open to the public and what requires and admission ticket (https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/events-calendar/?date=2021-06-13)

Bruton Parish Church is the only building in the historic area that you'll be able to enter without a ticket. It's on the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and the Palace Green. Being able to enter and tour Bruton Parish is going to depend on if there are services, funerals, wedding, etc. that may be going on. Since you said you'll be there on Sunday and only until noon - 1:00 pm, you may not have the opportunity to visit Bruton Parish since it doesn't open until 12:30 after Sunday services. It's also worth noting that although the historic area is closed to motor vehicle traffic during the day, there are exceptions made to parts of it during scheduled church services at Bruton Parish.

At the western end of Duke of Gloucester Street past Merchant's Square is the College of William & Mary. There are several historic buildings on the campus. I've been in the Wren Building for an organ concert. I'm not sure if any of the other historic buildings are open to the public (and if they are, are there any closures currently due to Covid).

Merchant's Square is a more shopping area (although it does have a colonial look and feel to it). There are a number of shops and restaurants located there.

There is always someone outside the buildings that require a ticket checking for them and keeping count of the number of people accessing the site.
They take your picture /give you picture ID that you wear so they know you're allowed in. I have ours in a scrapbook. Our youngest was too young to need a ticket of her own, and she got upset that she wasn't having a picture made ... so she squeezed into my picture with me.

We were in Williamsburg in March and they had colonial flags outside of the building that were open for tour with your tickets.

Walking the streets and looking at the farm animals was a fun thing for my family. I’d recommend eating at Chownings (sp?) Tavern located near the battery and courthouse. Get some of the root beer to drink.
You could also consider prebooking a carriage ride for the family. I’m not sure if tickets are required, but you can find out information on the website.

Thanks everyone for your help! Here is a summary of our short visit:

we stayed overnight at the Best Western on York Street. Great location, we were pretty meh about the hotel itself. We did decide to skip tickets this time. This morning we walked from the hotel over to Duke of Gloucester street about 9am. We strolled down to the Market square and then turned around and made our way back. While it would have been nice entering more buildings, we agreed in the end that this was the best scenario for us.

We went in the Raleigh Bakery and got some cookies and had lunch at The Cheese Shop. We purchased a Christmas ornament from the Christmas store. And of course visited the candy shop and left with some goodies.

My daughter really loved seeing the animals, we saw horses with foals Which was fun. We also enjoyed seeing all the period costumes. I loved just the feel of the place!

We left and decided to detour a bit on our way to OBX and drove to the Jamestown Ferry and took that across. All in all it was a great peaceful morning!

To be honest I have never forgiven Colonial Williamsburg after feeling that I was being ripped off by them. I paid the high price for admission and then during it found out that I could have parked in the regular town area that borders on the site and walked in. I was looking forward to seeing authentic colonial buildings only to be told that all the historical buildings were recreated and not the originals. Some of the private housing was authentic colonial period homes but you couldn't go into those anyway and the only things you could go in were the rebuilds from scratch. Without paying you get to see some of the displays of blacksmithing, candle making and a few rebuilds that acted as gift shops. If I want fake history I'll go and do go to WDW. I expect my historical stuff to be really historical. The walk in at no charge would be worth it to me, but not the paid part. Others opinions my vary, but that was how I felt.

To be honest I have never forgiven Colonial Williamsburg after feeling that I was being ripped off by them. I paid the high price for admission and then during it found out that I could have parked in the regular town area that borders on the site and walked in. I was looking forward to seeing authentic colonial buildings only to be told that all the historical buildings were recreated and not the originals. Some of the private housing was authentic colonial period homes but you couldn't go into those anyway and the only things you could go in were the rebuilds from scratch. Without paying you get to see some of the displays of blacksmithing, candle making and a few rebuilds that acted as gift shops. If I want fake history I'll go and do go to WDW. I expect my historical stuff to be really historical. The walk in at no charge would be worth it to me, but not the paid part. Others opinions my vary, but that was how I felt.

There are 88 original buildings in the historic area of Colonial Williamsburg. Although quite a few are private residences and closed to the public, there are also ones open to the public. Some of the main ones that I remember being in are the Peyton Randolph House, Bruton Parish Church, The Courthouse, Public Gaol, The Magazine, George Wythe House, St. George Tucker House, Weatherburn's Tavern, and the Wren Building. I know these are others but these are ones, off the top of my head, that I can remember. As for the rest of the buildings, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation doesn't hide the fact that they're reconstructions. They're quite open about that including explaining how they're built on original foundations and what research was undertaken to reconstruct them right down to researching what the furnishings should be, what color walls should be, etc. Admission is also not just for entrance to the buildings. Colonial Williamsburg is the largest living history museum. The Nation Builders and other people of the past bring history to life.

Thanks everyone for your help! Here is a summary of our short visit:

we stayed overnight at the Best Western on York Street. Great location, we were pretty meh about the hotel itself. We did decide to skip tickets this time. This morning we walked from the hotel over to Duke of Gloucester street about 9am. We strolled down to the Market square and then turned around and made our way back. While it would have been nice entering more buildings, we agreed in the end that this was the best scenario for us.

We went in the Raleigh Bakery and got some cookies and had lunch at The Cheese Shop. We purchased a Christmas ornament from the Christmas store. And of course visited the candy shop and left with some goodies.

My daughter really loved seeing the animals, we saw horses with foals Which was fun. We also enjoyed seeing all the period costumes. I loved just the feel of the place!

We left and decided to detour a bit on our way to OBX and drove to the Jamestown Ferry and took that across. All in all it was a great peaceful morning!

Sounds like a great day. Enjoy your vacation!

There are 88 original buildings in the historic area of Colonial Williamsburg. Although quite a few are private residences and closed to the public, there are also ones open to the public. Some of the main ones that I remember being in are the Peyton Randolph House, Bruton Parish Church, The Courthouse, Public Gaol, The Magazine, George Wythe House, St. George Tucker House, Weatherburn's Tavern, and the Wren Building. I know these are others but these are ones, off the top of my head, that I can remember. As for the rest of the buildings, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation doesn't hide the fact that they're reconstructions. They're quite open about that including explaining how they're built on original foundations and what research was undertaken to reconstruct them right down to researching what the furnishings should be, what color walls should be, etc. Admission is also not just for entrance to the buildings. Colonial Williamsburg is the largest living history museum. The Nation Builders and other people of the past bring history to life.
So much this. Why on earth should it matter that the buildings are reconstructed? They're extremely accurate reconstructions, and like you said, it's really the living history that's most important anyway. I've had fantastic highly immersive experiences with everyone from George Washington to the governor's daughter who visibly recoiled when I told her I was from Florida and asked how I managed to survive in the savage lands. I've served as a juror on a witch trial and argued battle tactics and enjoyed a Magic Lantern show. All highly authentic and incredibly well researched. I mean, it wasn't the real George Washington either....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter