College Program Parents Thread...

bom_noite said:
Might be one of those rules which is never pursued. What if you drive 1500 miles and say: Nope, that is a violation of the rules - what do you do then?

Well, my daughter moved from Patterson to Chatham in the middle of her CP and when she went to change over....well, they wouldn't let her park her car in Chatham because apparently her ins card was expired (but the POLICY wasn't!!!). She had to park her car on the STREET and show her ID to walk in until she was able to get current proof of ins! So don't think they don't check! She owns her own car and her policy is in her name. It was my understanding from what 'We' adults were told that if the car is titled in the parents' name, the kid can just bring a copy of the ins policy's declarations page showing the kid is listed as an insured driver on the policy and they will accept that as coverage. HTH!
BTW.....this was THIS YEAR! :)

Might be one of those rules which is never pursued. What if you drive 1500 miles and say: Nope, that is a violation of the rules - what do you do then?
They're pretty lenient on the cars when it comes to check-in due to the simple confusion. DORMS does outline the information pretty clearly for anyone bringing a car, as does the College Programs site.

The College Program Applicant in question must have the License AND Insurance in their own name to receive a decal for whichever housing complex they live in. Usually they give everyone a bit of extra time if they don't have it to figure everything out, as it is quite common.

Just call your insurance to get their name on it. As of Fall 2013.

My daughter was accepted today for Spring 2014. She checks in on Jan 20th. She said she read somewhere that you have to "camp out" the night before check in so you get a good room. Is that true????:confused3

If you don't plan on having her fly in the night/Morning of check-in, I would definitely check into a hotel. Everything is pre-determined now due to the ranking system setup in DORMS. This includes roommates as well, which makes it simpler so that she doesn't need to wait in line with them.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

If you don't plan on having her fly in the night/Morning of check-in, I would definitely check out renting a hotel. Everything is pre-determined now due to the ranking system setup in DORMS. This includes roommates as well, which makes it simpler so that she doesn't need to wait in line with them.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

We're staying at the All-star music resort, checking-in the day before (2 nights).
There are discount rates 1/5/14-3/5/14 (book soon).

I know there are some cheaper rates off-site, but we are not unpacking/packing a car full of her stuff. I like Disney security

My GD is presently an CM. she has applied for an extension. When should she hear if she has been given an extension.

I posted some time ago about the agony of the parent who has s waiting on the news of acceptance, or not. Well ... still waiting. DD sits in pending status. At least it isn't NLIC but it has been a looooooong wait. Congrats to those who have been accepted! We continue to wait.

I think the wait is harder on us. Had to keep myself asking if you've heard anything despite the fact that she would tell me as soon as she did! Hope you get good news soon. DD just got the Fairytale weddings PI but it took two CPs, networking at every event they offered and letting her managers know she wants a career at Disney.

Well the wait is finally over. Not the news she wanted, but DD had sort of resigned herself to the fact that it wasn't going to happen, which made taking the news a bit easier.

Good luck to all you parents who have kids heading off in this next round. My other DD who completed the program a couple of years ago had a great time.

Thought I'd join this thread. My daugher applied last week, did her PI on 10/31. So we're waiting now. I really feel for those who have been waiting for so long and it must be heartbreaking go so long only to get a NLIC. Here's hoping for positive new for those still waiting.

My daughter will be talking to her Dept Head today about possibly getting some internship credit if she does get an offer. Her school 'guidelines' for internship says they need to have completed 75 credits and if she takes two winter intersession classes, she'll only be at 64. Hopefully a guidelines is only a guideline and not a rule because she will really need this credit to meet scholarship renewal for next year's term.

The other hurdle is that her major - Mass Communication/Film and Television - is a stretch to directly relate to DCP. But this is the stepping stone to a PI that might be more applicable to her major. Xing all fingers and toes here!

I believe as long he is listed on the insurance policy as a driver for that car.....and you have to bring the "original" insurance cover sheet showing that.

Well, my daughter moved from Patterson to Chatham in the middle of her CP and when she went to change over....well, they wouldn't let her park her car in Chatham because apparently her ins card was expired (but the POLICY wasn't!!!). She had to park her car on the STREET and show her ID to walk in until she was able to get current proof of ins! So don't think they don't check! She owns her own car and her policy is in her name. It was my understanding from what 'We' adults were told that if the car is titled in the parents' name, the kid can just bring a copy of the ins policy's declarations page showing the kid is listed as an insured driver on the policy and they will accept that as coverage. HTH!
BTW.....this was THIS YEAR! :)

We have the current documents for the insurance for her car...but its registered to us in New York. Her name IS on the documents but it doesnt match the cars to the drivers..... I guess thats okay though ...?

I believe as long he is listed on the insurance policy as a driver for that car.....and you have to bring the "original" insurance cover sheet showing that.

Summertime said:

What year was it you were told you needed the original cover sheet? they will also except a fax from your ins agt's office...
DD has been there this year (2013).

vellamint said:
We have the current documents for the insurance for her car...but its registered to us in New York. Her name IS on the documents but it doesnt match the cars to the drivers..... I guess thats okay though ...?

Some policies don't list the drivers on the cover page. Each company is different. Sometimes they are listed within the policy. My suggestion to make your life the easiest, ask your agt to issue you a 'duplicate' of the policy. Give that to your DD and then if you feel more comfortable, give her a bigger self addressed stamped envelope and have her drop it back into the mail to you after she is settled in. Just be sure to put a few stamps on the envelope since it is likely to need more than standard postage.
Just another suggestion. HTH. :)

What year was it you were told you needed the original cover sheet? they will also except a fax from your ins agt's office...
DD has been there this year (2013).
I just read it in a blog.....but maybe it wasn't correct information. Sorry. Just an FYI though....my DD is not bringing her car - we live too far away and have had some problems with the car so it's not worth dealing with getting it there. I did, however, call Hertz located at a hotel near Downtown Disney and they rent cars to 20 year olds. There is a bit of a surcharge, but it's not much. DD is happy that she can have a car, if needed, on her days a few times during her stay in Florida.

I just read it in a blog.....but maybe it wasn't correct information. Sorry. Just an FYI though....my DD is not bringing her car - we live too far away and have had some problems with the car so it's not worth dealing with getting it there. I did, however, call Hertz located at a hotel near Downtown Disney and they rent cars to 20 year olds. There is a bit of a surcharge, but it's not much. DD is happy that she can have a car, if needed, on her days a few times during her stay in Florida.

The apartments only allow a car rental for the first few days, not during the whole program. You must have your own car there if you want it in the complexes.

Thanks. She's only going to rent a car a few times. She just likes knowing that the option is there. Of course, I'm hoping enough others have cars so she won't need to rent one.....but the option is there. For the day or two days tops maybe 4-5 times while she's there.

BadDad said:
My S lived there. If you're worried about them, security is tight!

This poster is not kidding!!
DD has lived in Patterson and Chatham (I believe that is how it is spelled) and I could NOT get on the premises until she came to the gate house and signed me in with ONE exception! I went down when she was very ill to help her get medical care and I told them I was there to pick her up to take her to the Dr's because she was so sick. They called her apt unit and verified she was expecting me! LOL and then let me in...I did have to show my Driver's license.
And FYI...If your kids get sick....do everything you can to avoid the ER at Celebration Hospital!!!!! We got a bill from them for $14,500. for an ER visit for a virus... She was there 3 hrs!! They did a CM scan, and a bunch of other unnecessary tests. I had my Dr look at the paperwork and he thinks they took advantage of the fact that she was basically a *kid who didn't know any better* and they did a bunch of stuff to run the bill up. GRRRR..... So consider yourself warned!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter