College Program Parents Thread...

My son auditioned in March for CP in Austin. He made it all the way to the end, but didn't get the role. He is a theatre major...I did some snooping around facebook when acceptances for Character came out, and the majority who got in were Dance majors.

smgross...Yes, his role is in Epcot Future World, which is really cool because it's his favorite park. His shifts are generally 3:30-10:00, one night a week until 12 for EMH, and Sundays he works early...days off are Monday and Tuesday because his class is on Monday...when it starts. He'll be in the Entertainment Production class. I knew he was in Epcot before he did, and it killed me to not be able to tell him. A friend who works in Technology for the Mouse let me know. It's great that he loves Disney because it saves money. He spends all of his off time in the parks.

I'm so happy for him as this has been something he's talked about since middle school!!

Question for the experts - because of course this means we'll be doing a trip down next spring:) - I know the CP kids can "walk in" other people a certain amount of times. Do anyone know how many they are allowed? Also, would it likely be blacked out during the week following Easter (April 20-25) as this is his younger sister's school vacation?

Can't wait for him to be part of the magic!!

Thanks in advance,
Sue

your son can get 3 people in 6 times, you just have to remember he must be there to walk you in, so if he has morning hours you won't be able to go into the park till after he gets off of work. sorry I can't remember if that week is blocked off, if it is, it's most likely only blocked for the magic kingdom. My daughter is currently down there now, with the fall advantage, we had a blast goign to see her even if we had to wait till later in the day, she was working a 8-4:30 shift most days.

That's all good. We are DVC members so we've been so many times. He is on cloud nine today - accepted for Attractions but also going to audition for Performer in two weeks! Just so nice that he'll be living one of his dreams!!!

The waiting game as a parent is almost as frustrating as for the kid. DD20 is still waiting to hear. Her sister did the CP a few years ago ad now she can't wait for her turn. Everything seemed to go well through the interview process, so we just hope it works out. She has already met with her advisor at school and worked out the educational plan. Keeping fingers (and toes) crossed for good luck!

our daughter just got accepted to merchandising. she is so happy to just be a part of it and we are so happy for her.

Our daughter just got accepted today in attractions. It was her first choice so she (and we) are thrilled.

Congratulations to all who've gotten their acceptance!! Fantasmic!! :)
DD had interview 9/14 and still waiting. No word at all yet.

cyclenut, my son actually gave me his dashboard login because I think I was more anxious to hear than he was. That said, I also find myself really disappointed when someone posts that they didn't get in...especially if it is someone who really loves Disney, and you can tell they really wanted it. It breaks my heart, and they aren't even my kid.

So...anyone else have a kid extremely unhappy in their role? Mine loves everything about his CP, except work...which is most of it. He is custodial, has had one street shift, which he loved...took pictures, gave directions, traded pins....however, that was his first shift. Everything since then has been 6-6.5 hours in a restroom. He knew Restroom shifts were part of the gig; just didn't realize that was all he'd be doing. And it is all of the CPs in his area.

Hopefully your son is getting more variety. My DS is also custodial, but at the MK. He actually doesn't mind bathrooms as it is cooler. He likes the variety of working different zones and working at his own pace. Was custodial at the MK his first choice? Maybe not, he was just so thrilled to be accepted into the program. He has gone several times to each park on his days off. I just hope he isn't sick of it by the time we go down for our visit next month. :/

Whelp...Can't say I didn't see this coming; son and all of his friends are going to extension auditions for character performer on October 2, for Spring. Oy. We'll see. He really needs to be back on campus in the spring, but he's an adult. His call I guess. Would give me another reason to make a reservation and use my Annual Pass I guess.

jobro912 said:
Whelp...Can't say I didn't see this coming; son and all of his friends are going to extension auditions for character performer on October 2, for Spring. Oy. We'll see. He really needs to be back on campus in the spring, but he's an adult. His call I guess. Would give me another reason to make a reservation and use my Annual Pass I guess.

I wouldn't start worrying too much just yet....Lots of kids apply to extend but are denied. For every one they allow to extend, it keeps a 'newbie' from starting the program. So they only allow so many existing CPers to extend. They also have the best chance of entending by NOT changing roles....does he 'really' want to stay in that role for an entire year?? Why don't you try and talk him into doing a second program in the future (where he could get a different role)? Many of the kids do that!! The rehire rate of kids who have done the program once before is like greater than 96%!! They have an excellent shot of getting back in a second time around if they aren't on a restricted rehire or anything!! Good Luck! :) It'll work out the way it's supposed to, but you may need to remind him about the consequences of his choices if he chooses to stay at WDW vs returning to college. Sometimes we need to guide them because even though they are adults, they are still young and inexperienced and lack wisdom. ;) sometimes they forget about the longterm....they are young. We were once too, remember? If only we knew then what we know now!! LOL!

Haha...I wasn't young...Actually, at his age I was in the Navy. He seems to have landed a girlfriend in the program, and they apparently think they need to stay. There are scholarships riding on him coming back. So yes...a little guidance may be required...however, he wouldn't extend in his role. If he got Character Performer...maybe, but in his current role it ain't happening. ;)

jobro912 said:
Haha...I wasn't young...Actually, at his age I was in the Navy. He seems to have landed a girlfriend in the program, and they apparently think they need to stay. There are scholarships riding on him coming back. So yes...a little guidance may be required...however, he wouldn't extend in his role. If he got Character Performer...maybe, but in his current role it ain't happening. ;)

I know what you mean about the being young! I was already MARRIED at the age my DD was doing her program. And as far as the girlfriend....Well, I also wouldn't count on that to last either. I watched a lot of the kids go thru several sets of boyfriend/girlfriends.
Probably the one I got the most nervous about w/ my DD was the FT CM she dated that was young (like 23) but owned his own house! I thought that one might be the one to potentially keep her there in FL but it still didn't last. And ironically she ended it,not him! I watched the roommates go thru relationships too. Again, I wouldn't put too much stock in it just yet! ;)

cyclenut, my son actually gave me his dashboard login because I think I was more anxious to hear than he was. That said, I also find myself really disappointed when someone posts that they didn't get in...especially if it is someone who really loves Disney, and you can tell they really wanted it. It breaks my heart, and they aren't even my kid.

My DD gave me her dashboard login too, AFTER she was accepted. Because she was smart enough to not even TELL me she applied!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My DD gave me her dashboard login too, AFTER she was accepted. Because she was smart enough to not even TELL me she applied!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I have a question about park admission and I was hoping I might get some advice:

DW and I arrive at WDW Thursday for a 6-night F&W trip. We have 5-day hoppers. We're thinking about upgrading to APs.

DS will be doing Spring Advantage January 13-August 1. We'll probably go down with him for a few days to help him get settled, visit again in early April for a week and go again for a few days when he's preparing to leave and come home.

Does it make sense to upgrade to APs? I know he can get us in a certain number of days, but we may want to go more than he has available entries for us. Plus his work schedule may not permit him to get us in when we'd like to enter, and there are blackout periods.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Praying Colonel said:
I have a question about park admission and I was hoping I might get some advice:

DW and I arrive at WDW Thursday for a 6-night F&W trip. We have 5-day hoppers. We're thinking about upgrading to APs.

DS will be doing Spring Advantage January 13-August 1. We'll probably go down with him for a few days to help him get settled, visit again in early April for a week and go again for a few days when he's preparing to leave and come home.

Does it make sense to upgrade to APs? I know he can get us in a certain number of days, but we may want to go more than he has available entries for us. Plus his work schedule may not permit him to get us in when we'd like to enter, and there are blackout periods.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I would upgrade to the AP. If your April trip is close to Easter or Spring Break you have a Huge chance of the Magic Kingdom being blacked out. And like you said, his work schedule may not permit him to get you in, and he'll only get 6 days (with a max of 3 people on ea of those days). Also you were saying you might want to go as his program is ending, once he turns his blue badge in, he's done. But you could still go into the parks if you have an AP! Definitely a worthwhile investment when you a CM in the family!!!! ;)

Plus with the AP, you get 10% off purchases and there are other discounts too! They do add up!!

hate to interrupt, but my daughter just got accepted in Merchandising at Disney for the college program.
She is a Freshman at a college in Michigan
How does the college tuition work for the semester she is at Disney work?
Do the kids get to pick the apartment they live in-how much are the dorms/apartments at Disneyworld?
Is there any downside in accepting this internship?
thanks in advance!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter