Character Heights/CP Auditions

I don't know much about the unions but I do think Disney will assist you in becoming a member, you don't need to be a member to audition.

In theory Ariel could be any height when she has her fins on but Disney still follows their height requirements. It's unfortunate for us shorter girls, but that's how they do it, they even made the fairies tall except for Tinkerbell.

But on the bright side you have a few years and who knows what shows or parades or characters they'll have by the time you get there.

I am not currently a member of any unions, but is there any way you could elaborate on the union? like how to join and such? I don't really get how it works, I mean I understand a union from school but how does an acting and theatre one work?.

I'm sure your musical theatre coach can tell you more about it, but here's a crash course: Actor's Equity is a big union for professional performers. If a professional theatre wants to employ Equity members, they have to adhere to certain standards set by the union (providing the actors with clean costumes, reasonable pay and rehearsal hours, etc). Theaters are willing to do this because Equity actors are the best of the best, and once you've joined Equity, you're forbidden to act in non-Equity shows (meaning all community theatre). There are two ways to join:

1. Most people do it this way- Traditionally, to get your Equity card you need to get a certain number of "points," and the only way you can get them is to be cast in shows in professional theaters that are pre-approved by Equity to give you points. You get different points based on your role- lead actress in an Equity-point-earning theater production will get you a zillion points, member of the chorus less so. Once you're in the process of earning your points you become an "Equity membership candidate" and get all sorts of cool privileges.

2. Besides the Equity point-earning theaters, there are actual Equity theaters, which can only hire Equity actors. You CAN audition for these shows as a non-Equity actor. If you get cast (it's hard, but possible), the theater sponsors you to basically bypass the point system and you immediately get your card so that you can be in that show. I think Disney is one of these shows.

My final point would just be to keep in mind that this is all hugely competitive, and that people who go to college and grad school studying musical theatre and vocal performance often wait for 10 or 15 years before they have enough points to join Equity. It's the serious big time of professional actors. Don't let it all scare you away, though. If it's your absolute dream to sing for Disney then just focus 100% on your training, show up to auditions and show them you're perfect for it. Good luck!

The Walt Disney World Equity role auditions aren't held the same way as Equity auditions in NYC and around the country. The auditions are open to everyone, but they state that if you get the role you are covered under AEA. I went to one of the Singer auditions before and I am not Equity.

From Disneyauditions.com: "Performers employed by the Walt Disney World Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement with Actors' Equity Association."

The Walt Disney World Equity role auditions aren't held the same way as Equity auditions in NYC and around the country. The auditions are open to everyone, but they state that if you get the role you are covered under AEA. I went to one of the Singer auditions before and I am not Equity.

From Disneyauditions.com: "Performers employed by the Walt Disney World Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement with Actors' Equity Association."

From my understanding that's exactly how Equity role auditions are held around the country...

Hi everyone!

I posted on this thread a loooong time ago, which subscribed me to it, and I creep on it a lot without posting. haha.

Anyways, I was on the Disney Auditions site last night when I looked and it said that Rapunzel was 5'4"-5'7" and "Disney Princes and Princesses, including Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Snow White, Prince Charming, Prince Eric, Aladdin. Females: 5'3" - 5'7"; Males: 5'10" - 6'2" "

When did princesses become 5'3"?!?!? I'm 5'3", so I'm so excited, but wondering when this happened! Who else is 5'3"??

Hi everyone!

I posted on this thread a loooong time ago, which subscribed me to it, and I creep on it a lot without posting. haha.

Anyways, I was on the Disney Auditions site last night when I looked and it said that Rapunzel was 5'4"-5'7" and "Disney Princes and Princesses, including Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Snow White, Prince Charming, Prince Eric, Aladdin. Females: 5'3" - 5'7"; Males: 5'10" - 6'2" "

When did princesses become 5'3"?!?!? I'm 5'3", so I'm so excited, but wondering when this happened! Who else is 5'3"??

I'm guessing Belle. When I went last and met Belle I think she was shorter then me and I'm 5'4" so unless it was just a different in shoes she may be 5'3"

From my understanding that's exactly how Equity role auditions are held around the country...

There are some auditions that are only for members of AEA. At those you have to already be a member- and sometimes sign up for a time (as I now see you posted). I just wanted to clarify that the ones listed on disneyauditions weren't like that. You don't have to sign up for a time and everyone will be seen- no matter if they are AEA or not.

Do they ever do cross auditions? Like if you audition in NY for the cruise line, would they pull you and say...hey we don't need you for the crise, but we can use you in FL? Or anywhere else?

I'm guessing Belle. When I went last and met Belle I think she was shorter then me and I'm 5'4" so unless it was just a different in shoes she may be 5'3"

Thats interesting...when I met Belle this past summer she was about my height. I am 5'8"... and it gave me a tiny bit of hope!! Though I assume she was wearing heels so she was probably 5'7" ish.

Do they ever do cross auditions? Like if you audition in NY for the cruise line, would they pull you and say...hey we don't need you for the crise, but we can use you in FL? Or anywhere else?
Not to my knowledge but I have seen them schedule the auditions on the same day just at different times so you could attend both. especially the out of town auditions.

Also the 6 month rule doesn't apply to the different parks. You can even be employed at Disney World and then audition for the cruiseline or one of the other parks.

I've never known anyone to be pulled for another park or the cruiseline, but I do know people who were "strongly encouraged" to attend an audition. As in casting liked them for another park so they told them to audition, but they didn't pull them without the seperate audition.

is it possible to be cast as a face performer if you have tattooes, but the tattooes would be covered by the costume?

I don't know much about the unions but I do think Disney will assist you in becoming a member, you don't need to be a member to audition.

In theory Ariel could be any height when she has her fins on but Disney still follows their height requirements. It's unfortunate for us shorter girls, but that's how they do it, they even made the fairies tall except for Tinkerbell.

But on the bright side you have a few years and who knows what shows or parades or characters they'll have by the time you get there.

She's talking about Ariel in Voyage of the Little Mermaid. She's typically shorter than normal Ariels. She's usually around 5'1-5'4.

For Disney Equity auditions you don't have to already be a member, they'll make you one if you get the job, so anyone can audition.

Hi everyone!

This is typically for Jasmine and Snow White. they're both typically shorter.

Thats interesting...when I met Belle this past summer she was about my height. I am 5'8"... and it gave me a tiny bit of hope!! Though I assume she was wearing heels so she was probably 5'7" ish.
Some of the princesses can be a bit taller, around 5'7-5'8. This usually applies to Aurora and yellow dress Belle. And yes they have a heel that's about 1 inch high.

is it possible to be cast as a face performer if you have tattooes, but the tattooes would be covered by the costume?

Yes, as long as they can't be seen and the costume covers them.

So I'm planning on auditioning for the spring 2012 cp and really wanted to do a 'practice audition' at one of the bi-weekly auditions where I would get to do the animation and dance portion of the audition. However if I did one I'd run into trouble with the 6 month rule... So my question is do they keep track of how often you audition? Or does the 6 month rule not count with the cp audition?

So I'm planning on auditioning for the spring 2012 cp and really wanted to do a 'practice audition' at one of the bi-weekly auditions where I would get to do the animation and dance portion of the audition. However if I did one I'd run into trouble with the 6 month rule... So my question is do they keep track of how often you audition? Or does the 6 month rule not count with the cp audition?

For a character performer audition newbie, could someone please explain these biweekly auditions to me? Forgive me if it's posted somewhere else in this thread... it's really long!

At about 5'6.5" I'm directly within the princess height range! I don't think I have the grace (or the face) for it, but I might audition just for giggles. Maybe I'll realize my childhood (yeah, okay and current) fantasy to be Belle... or friends with Belle. ;)

For a character performer audition newbie, could someone please explain these biweekly auditions to me? Forgive me if it's posted somewhere else in this thread... it's really long!

At about 5'6.5" I'm directly within the princess height range! I don't think I have the grace (or the face) for it, but I might audition just for giggles. Maybe I'll realize my childhood (yeah, okay and current) fantasy to be Belle... or friends with Belle. ;)

Walt Disney World has bi-weekly auditions often because they are almost always in need of people for different parts of the entertainment department. They're held in a rehearsal facility near Animal Kingdom. If you audition once and don't make it, you have to wait 6 months before you can audition again. Haha you never know, they could pick you! :)

I don't think it counts for the CP, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 6 month rule still counts for CP's unless it's some kind of special audition held during a CP program or something out of the ordinary where they announce otherwise.

Disney Cruise Line auditions don't count as part of the 6 month rule so maybe look into that? They're slightly different but it would still be good experiance. They aren't held as often though. Same for the overseas parks and Disneyland, they're all seperate entities as far as auditions and the 6 month rule goes.

I do not believe the CP counts within the same guidelines as 6 months. CP - you can audition once a season, which is less than 6 months from the fall to spring auditions.

I'm guessing you could do the regular audition, then the CP one in the fall. Technically, they are looking for different things anyway. The bi-weekly needs look-a-likes and movers whereas the CP is looking for more of the Costumed characters. I'd call ahead of time to verify. Just say you want seasonal work now, but if you are not selected are you eligible for the CP audition for the spring season. Do not mention you want a "test audition." They will not like that.

PS - the audition process for the bi-weekly and CPs is quite different.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest