Canon printer and Kodak camera compatability

almacdonald

DIS Veteran
My dad currently has a Kodak DX6340 digital camera. He likes it and knows how to use it.

My mom wants to buy a photo only printer for him for christmas. Now, we know that we can get the Kodak printer dock and that WILL be compatible but we're not a big fan of the ink/paper package costing nearly $30 for 40 prints.

My mom (who isn't very technologically adept) bought a Canon Selphy DS 810 printer without considering compatibility. She got this one because it was cheaper and you can buy the cartridges and paper separately.

Question 1: Will my dad be able to print some decent quality photos with this printer? I mean, i know you can print from the SD card, however, the quality, on MY printer at least, suffers when you do this.

Question 2: Does anyone have one of these printers and if so, what is the quality compared to a standard printer? How much does it cost per print?

Usually I'm pretty good at this stuff but i just can't seem to find the info i need to figure out if these items are compatible.

Thanks in advance, from me and my mom!

PS: as i was typing this my boyfriend told said, and i quote: "you and your disney forums, you're obsessed!"

Sorry I can not tell you for sure.

But IMO Kodak is trying to sell THEIR docks for THEIR cameras, I do not see why they would support Canon's Picbridge thing. So no I do not think you can print from this camera to a non kodak printer. Yes you can print from cards but as you said that could be hit or miss, and of course you can print from a PC.

When you say that she wants a PHOTO ONLY printer does that mean it has to be small?

Does that mean that it will not be hooked up to a PC?

Also that printer is a 3 color ink printer, I would guess that means higher ink use than those with a dedicated black cartridge. I would try to get 4 color inks at the very least for a Photo only printer.

Printing from the card wouldn't be any more hit or miss than printing from the camera. If it is only using 3 inks it really isn't a photo printer. If it truly only has 3 cartridges then it is mixing the inks to make black.

Also when printing photos you want to be concerned about archival life. A few cents saved today doesn't mean anything when your pictures fade in a few years.

www.wilhelm-research.com

When i say "photo only" printer, i mean something that will print only photos.... not documents, bank statements etc. My parents already have a printer. The printer will be hooked up to a pc. I was a little leary about the 3 ink system. From what i hear, photos are generally a better quality when there is a separate black, cyan, magenta and yellow as well as light cyan and light magenta.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a "better" photo printer. I mean, it doesn't have to be pictbridge capable, or have the memory card slots even. It will be used with a PC. I think my mom wants something that my dad will use. Buying a 40-count pack of photo paper and cartridge meant to last only long enough to print those 40 pictures for nearly $30 (Kodak printer) would make it almost prohibitively expensive.

In the past i have been a strong advocate of printing pictures at walmart or whatnot but my dad REALLY wants to do this at home. Any suggestions would be great! THANKS!

What size do they want to print? If they only want to do 4x6 prints I suggest looking at the Epson Picture Mate Deluxe. It does a beautiful job. Cost per print can be as low as 22 cents. They are archival and waterproof and smudge proof.

The ink and paper does come together but if you get to the end of your ink and you still have paper left Epson buys the paper back from you.

www.atlex.com has a great price on the print pak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter