Cancelled 7 day Magic cruiser, still no responce from Disney, anyone else??

Lampskies,

I am so happy for you and your family. You will have a great time. I'm thinking we may try and book that week also. It probably won't be the entire group, but some of us may try to go. Wouldn't it be great if all of us who cancelled rebooked for the same week? Two years worth of excitement...it would be a blast!

-Caroline

SweetCaroline

I was told many who cancelled were either on one in Jan. 03 (can't remember the date) or the week after Thanksgivig again. The early seatings for dinner were booked as of yesterday 01/22/2003 for the 11/29/2003 cruising.

Lampskies , SweetCaroline,

We have also considered the 11/29/03 Eastern, but right now, I'm not in the mood for DCL. We are going on the Navigator of the Seas next month and the Carnival Legend out of NY in July. I did book OKW for Thanksgiving, more just to have something than having definite plans.

An "11/30/02 Cancelled Magic Cruiser" meet, complete with souvenir tee-shirts would be interesting... Hmmmmm

mac_tlc

mac_tlc,

I'm also thinking of foregoing DCL and very interested to hear about the Navigator. PM me when you get back and fill me in, especially with regards to kids' programs/activities.

Have a blast and I'd like to order some of those t-shirts!

-Caroline

I am in for the shirts. I kept saying the Nov 02 was the "we got screwed cruise", but things are looking better. The couple that booked with us just got notice from their TA that they will be recieving their 50% off letters soon. When they get it they are booking Nov. 29, 2003. That ship might actually sell out. You had better book now that cruise looks like it is going from off peak to peak in a hurry.

Ok all....called tonight and spoke to DCL about a couple of things...first was about our rate for our May 10th cruise....I am now paying almost $2000.00 for a week(western swing) in May...my origional cruise in a category 8 for 11/30/02 which we all know was cancelled was priced at just under $2000.00. My feeling is they should have replaced our cruise with 50% off what we would have paid if we sailed on November 30th...and I know you know what I was told....sorry....it is the prevailing rate at the time you want to sail....and my second question was about the letter many people received giving them a 1 category upgrade....mentioned that I heard about it on the Disboards and was told to only believe 5% of what you hear on them....that he has no knowledge of anything being offered...so...if anyone has a copy of this letter and could e-mail it to me I would be very grateful.....my address is TChrist05@aol.com. He did state that they will try and accomodate anyone who was cancelled with any kind of upgrade they can....but will not guarantee anything at this time.....so I just have to wait....and he also stated that I should write to guest communications with my story and requests....probably have to wait 3 months to get a response....thanks for listening all and any other imput is appreciated....
Tom

Guess I am the only one who feel fortunate to get the 50% off. I feel like we got such a great deal. And anyone I tell about this situation, say "you are so lucky!" And that is how I feel. When I hear stories about other cruise lines (Carnival, Princess) who have cancelled and given 10 - 30% off, I am amazed that Disney gave us 50% off.

I am not looking to start a fight, I just feel that all this negative talk needed some positive talk. I would never expect Disney to give me half off the November rate, if I decided to rebook during a peak season. That would be taking advantage of them.

When we booked Windstar two years ago (LOVED IT!) it is written right in their small print, something like "if we should cancel your cruise, you will get a full refund"... that is all! And, rumor has it that they cancel occasionally if they get a large charter. So, there isn't even a good reason for the cancelation.

My 50% off letter made me warm and fuzzy again. We love the ship, thats what made our trip so miserable, we booked the two extra days to make sure we didn't miss the cruise. (Chicago weather in November and all).

Doctor P

Just for your records....I did have insurance for this trip....very, very expensive insurance because I had circumstances at home that warrraned such, however, when DISNEY cancelled OUR cruise, my insurance was worth diddly. To the eyes of them, this whole mess is on Disney and they weren't touchin it. So again.....I guess you weren't affected in any way with the cancellation of this ship correct?

Also, today is January the 23rd and I still have yet to even see a letter from Disney.

Can we please also get something else cleared up...

First, it seems that all of us screwed people got different deals
Yes we definitely were fortunate to get on the 12/1 wonder and it was a very very nice cruise, however, I never intended on spending 6 days in WDW with a 3 1/2 year old. This was not what I wanted but I took it because we needed to go on vacation. Also, as to the park passes and food vouchers, everyone who stayed at the Dolphin got these but please do not think that in any way they were free.

I would love to see what other people paid to sail on the 12/1 wonder compared to what I paid and what it cost me to stay at the park that I really didn't want to be at in the first place.

I really am sounding negative here but I'm not. I'm glad that I got to go and I am thankful that I get a 50% off future cruise because this gives me a guaranteed vacation and I would never look to pay in high season what I paid in November. What I am not happy with is the people who were not affected by this and they think we were "handed" this stuff. Newsflash......we paid for it.

Thanks for this thread. Its nice to know Im not alone with how Im feeling. It seems I was the only one to post the negative attitude after our cruise was cancelled. And what a bashing I got from the DIS. This thread proves the rest of us 11/30 cancelled cruisers are just as upset but just took some time to voice it.

We actually cancelled and then rebooked ourselves. So, we got all our money back, paid $2000 for the 4 of us to do the Wonder, then paid the extra 2 nights at the Dolphin ($219 total - they had a deal on) and one extra night at the Hilton ($99). The passes were thrown in. So, our initial $3500 cruise cost us approx. $2500. I initially considered just changing over the the 4-day plus 3-day in park, but did the math and realized it was cheaper for us to do it ourselves, so we took the full refund.

I was also cancelled and had an upgrad from cat.11 to cat. 8 which they would not give me on the new cruise. So we rebooked for Jan 11 (there were many of use cancelled cruisers), I took my refund of 770.00 and put it back into the cruise and upgraded to a cat. 5 still recieved 170.00 back and had the best time of our lives (because of the veranda). Everything worked out fabulous, and Im so glad that we were cancelled now in Nov. We had such a good time meeting a couple who were also cancelled like us. And hanging out on there veranda which was on the other side of the boat. We had the best of both worlds. It really did stink to fight with DCL the whole week of our non cruise, but it did work out in the end.
I would also love one of those shirts. Icart

TChrist05,

Just to let you know, I wrote a lovely 3 page letter to DCL. It was not a harsh letter, but a letter explaining our situation and feelings regarding the cancellation (family reunion, blah, blah, blah...). I requested they honor our November rate and a little over a month later they told me no way. Maybe you can get farther than I did, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Good luck!

-Caroline

Sweet Caroline....I am no way getting my hopes up....they would not change there position now...but the way I figured it....this was the first time that they cancelled a cruise....there were about 775 families on the ship that was to sail on 11/30 and a good percentage were return cruisers....so I figured that maybe Disney would have just bitten the bullet and made all that were affected a nice offer of 50 % off a cruise at the rate you payed, but it had to be in the year 2003....it would have made most happy, some people estatic....some people are locked into certain weeks due to many situations.....and I think, and it is my opinion...they should have gone the extra mile with all the people on that ship....so....people can flame me...disagree with me....but that is how I feel....and I know a lot of people out there agree with me...it was a bad situation for Disney....but worse for all the people that had there vacation cancelled.....and many of the experts out there that did not have there vacation cancelled have very strong opinions on how the 11/30 cruisers are trying to squeeze Disney....it is a big company....a great one at that...and nobody squeezes them.
Tom

Did you contact your insurance company? One of my clients waas on the cancelled cruise. He was allowed to transfer his insurance over to his new booking date. This is something you may want to check into, if you haven't already.

smiles Patty

My trip was also comsidered a cancell and rebook, I recieved a completely different confirmation number for the 3 night swan, 4 night wonder and then 2 night dolphin. I was considerably less than the origional booking and I did get the difference back. I was on the phone with them for 51/2 hours Wed Nov. 27, 2002 booking the new package. I did get a big downgrade on the ship from cat 6 to a 10 but that was just due to availability.

I called the insurance company the night we got cancelled to inquire about my airfare if it was covered (it wasn't) and it sounded life Disney is self insured. (Disney is, or ownes the insurance company)

For those who do not feel that people who weren't on the 11/30 cruise aren't affected by this thread and its outcome, and entitled to have an opinion, I respectfully disagree!!! First of all, as a stockholder of Disney, I am immensely interested in the outcome of this and I have a direct (albeit very small) financial interest in what Disney does and how their future reputation and finances are affected. Second of all, as a future cruiser, I have an interest in what happens and feel that am entitled to have an opinion about it.

Now to the facts: 1) the circumstances that caused the cancellation were not measurably within Disney's control; 2) the decision to actually cancel WAS within Disney's control, and for everyone's sake I wish they were able to give people more notice. I know that I would be very, very upset with my vacation changing at the last minute like this, so I do truly understand why people are upset and I would not trade places with you for a minute; 3) whether we like it or not, Disney only really has a responsibility to make one whole for the actual financial loss that one suffers because of the decision. Whether it is good business or not, their only real OBLIGATION is to refund the cruise that was paid for. Given that they have apparently gone well beyond that is commendable. Would I expect them to do that? Absolutely, YES!!! Would I push them (nicely) for everything I could get as compensation? YES!! Would I be reasonable in what I would expect them to actually do? YES!!!! (and I have been in such situations before).

What do I think is reasonable? I think in the circumstances, prompt refunds of the cruise fare and any incidental fees is the least that one can expect if desired. If I have planned my vacation and have nonrefundable airfares, I would at least like to be able to have the money to pay for alternative accomodations, etc. Given that it was a last minute cancellation and I would have my heart set on a cruise, I would also like to be able to take a cruise.

That said, the option that should have been available, IMHO, is that any cruiser who wished to take a "credit" for a future cruise (INSTEAD of a refund) would be offered something like the following choices (to be made by the cruiser): you may rebook the "same" cruise for next November and get a guarantee of the same category (including upgrades) or better on next year's cruise with no extra payment and receive a stateroom credit of a modest amount; OR you may choose to sail another cruise in value season within two years with a guaranteed upgrade of at least one category and a modest stateroom credit; OR you may choose a 50% discount off the lowest early booking rate for a given cruise (based on availability) and apply your credited amount against that cruise (and receive a modest stateroom credit).

It appears that some persons (but not all) have received offers that are even better than these. On the other hand, it appears that Disney is not treating the cruisers consistently--that is very bothersome to me, as some people are more assertive and effective at complaining/negotiating.

I had a feeling that the insurance issue would be as someone posted--that insurance wouldn't help given the nature of the cancellation (and even then it would have only paid the monetary damages incurred).

I might add that, in this era of nonrefundable airfares, I would hope that people might receive some compensation for that "loss" or inconvenience also.

Please understand that I really am on the side of those seeking to be compensated, as long as we are realistic about pointing fingers and in the expectations we have for what DCL can do.

Good luck!

As I have posted since Tues. Jan. 21st I am very happy with the compensation package I have recieved. As you can tell by my countdown I have rebooked. It was the month and a half wait to just to know that the did care for our feelings that caused me to find this forum. I wasn't looking for anything, I even tried to rebook while sailing on the Wonder, before we knew anything about a discount on a future cruise. (But that fiasco is another story).
I have been emailed several letters from cancelled cruisers and the compensation seems to vary in accordance of the nature of the letters. People DEMANDING compensation and using exact $$$ for what they want seemed to get less. People saying the wanted a certain $$$ amount and "would never go back" recieved even less if anything at all. People who took the time just to let DCL know what happened both good and bad, why they were disappointed, and didn't demand anything seemed to get the most. I was the latter, but very persistant.

Hope this helps for all still considering writing a letter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter