Canadian Vacation Ideas

uandmfan

Mouseketeer
The question about where we all want to travel once this is over got me thinking. In the event that we aren't comfortable travelling outside of Canada for awhile, where should we go?

I thought it might be fun to post fun Canadian travel ideas so we can all dream of more enjoyable times.

Most of our recent trips centre around visiting family so I don't have too much to share in terms of where we've been.

Years ago, we toured northern Newfoundland (L'Anse au meadows, Deer Lake, etc). It wasn't little kid friendly, but it was an amazing trip.

Halifax is cool and Yellowknife was beautiful and really interesting as well (we went in the winter).

I'm interested to hear what others have to recommend and in getting some great ideas of how to spend our money at home - when it's safe and affordable to do so!!

My youngest one has never been to Calgary so that's a possibility. Love to go to back to Vancouver and Quebec City.

And I haven't been to Halifax since high school - over 30 years - so that's on my list.

But I'm pretty certain our first trip will be to the Falls.

Fingers crossed, I'm heading to St. John's to visit my daughter. We're slated for June 2. We'll see, but whenever, that is the plan.

For Maritimes tourism:

New Brunswick:
- Fundy National Park - lots of great hiking, nature, beaches. Within the area there's also horseback riding, Hopewell Rocks, Cape Enrage
- St. Martin's is also worth it to see the caves
- St. Andrews is definitely worth a visit (even beat out Banff etc... for best destination in Canada by USA Today!). Just a wonderful seaside town which offers beaches, sailing, whale watching (highly recommend the Jolly Breeze if you have kids - it's a lovely tall ship and the kids can dress up as pirates, have an onboard touch tank, they get to steer the ship etc...). There's a historic block house, a small aquarium with an excellent touch tank and seals, and Minister's Island is also a neat visit. Lots of great shops, restaurants etc... We visit St. Andrews every year.
- New River Beach is fairly close by and is a really nice beach. They also host an awesome sand sculpting contest every July which is awesome to see.
- Saint John is a neat seaside city close to Fundy attractions and has the New Brunswick Museum which is nice, a small zoo, good shopping, theatre, a nice market etc...
- Moncton is also close to Fundy and has a great zoo and a small (but decent) water park.
- Fredericton is a beautiful city. Strong arts culture, they have nice parks, nice downtown area, children's science museum, art gallery that offers free children's programming on Sundays, theatre, a great weekend market, Kingswood Centre which is a great entertainment centre with bowling, laser tag etc... (and golfing).
- King's Landing (very close to Fredericton) is a great place to spend a day. It's a historical re-enactment village focused on Loyalist life that our kids love to visit. There's another great one up north in the province (close to Moncton), called The Acadian Village (Le Village Historique Acadien) which is even bigger, and focused on Acadian life.
- Mactaquac Provincial Park (near Fredericton) is nice and has a small freshwater beach, campground, nice hiking trails, and an awesome treetop zipline/adventure course called Treego.
- If you like mountains and hiking, Mt. Carleton In the northwest part of the province offers some beautiful hiking.
- Grand Falls is a neat day trip to see the Falls Gorge, and you can go ziplining over it as well.

Nova Scotia:
- If you're travelling through from New Brunswick, stop and visit the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park. It's a small gem we discovered on one of our trips to Halifax. A nice variety of animals, nature trails, and just really pretty. And it's dirt cheap, I think $3-4 per person?
- Cape Breton is definitely worth a visit on it's own. Lots of great things to see and do - the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, Fort Louisberg, other small museum, sailing on the Bras D'or Lakes, whale watching, deep sea fishing, lots of golfing, beaches, kayaking, paddle boarding, great thriving Celtic arts culture, and of course just gorgeous scenic drives, hiking etc...
- In the Annapolis Royal area there's a decent theme park called Upper Clements Park that also offers a cool zipline/aerial course. Nearby is also Kejimkujik National Park which has a great freshwater beach, lots of beautiful hiking etc... and a small zoo called Oaklawn Farm Zoo.
- Of course if you go to the other coast, you can tour up the eastern coast of Nova Scotia visiting Kejimkujik National Park Seaside (gorgeous hiking and singing sand beaches), and then just travel up the scenic coast visiting seaside towns like Liverpool, Lunenburg, visit famous Peggy's Cove, and end up in Halifax.
- Halifax is of course a destination on it's own. For families, on the other side of Dartmouth is a decent adventure park called Atlantic Splash Adventure which features water slides/rides, and typical fairground rides plus bumper boats and cars, Go Karts, batting cages etc... Within Halifax itself there's a huge indoor trampoline/jump place, there's the Citadel, the Maritime Museum, Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park, other small museums, great shopping, nice wharf area, theatres, an awesome science museum etc...

PEI:
- Charlottetown is a beautiful city. We love to walk downtown Charlottetown visiting the shops, restaurants, so many historic buildings, small museums etc.. You have to visit St. Dunstan's Basilica Cathedral and the kids loved doing the Eckhart Scavenger Hunt. They have a great wharf to visit. The Confederation Centre has both a great art museum and theatre - seeing Anne! The Musical is a must. Anne & Gilbert (at another theatre) is also good. You can tour the Cow's Creamery. Victoria Park is a great place to spend sunny summer afternoon.
- Cavendish area is the main tourist area. There of course is the most popular beach, the Anne of Green Gables museum and historic site, Avonlea Village, two smaller theme parks: Shining Waters and Sandspit, a boardwalk area, and lots of other small attractions like mini golf, Ripley's and Wax World museums etc...
- Beaches, beaches, beaches. So many gorgeous beaches to visit. Then of course there's golfing galore, whale watching, deep sea fishing, kayaking etc... Hiking trails etc...

I would like to take Via Rail, Toronto to Vancouver. Stay a few days in Vancouver and fly back.

The question about where we all want to travel once this is over got me thinking. In the event that we aren't comfortable travelling outside of Canada for awhile, where should we go?

I thought it might be fun to post fun Canadian travel ideas so we can all dream of more enjoyable times.

Most of our recent trips centre around visiting family so I don't have too much to share in terms of where we've been.

Years ago, we toured northern Newfoundland (L'Anse au meadows, Deer Lake, etc). It wasn't little kid friendly, but it was an amazing trip.

Halifax is cool and Yellowknife was beautiful and really interesting as well (we went in the winter).

I'm interested to hear what others have to recommend and in getting some great ideas of how to spend our money at home - when it's safe and affordable to do so!!

Great idea! I have some flight credits that’ll need to be used. :cool: We were supposed to go to Paris for my DDs graduation. Keep those ideas coming!

We are definitely thinking about how we can vacation in Canada the next couple of years instead of going to the States all the time.

Many years ago we drove out to PEI and made a number of stops along the way. We would love to do that again. Our last visit to PEI wasn't great due to weather and some issues with the cottage we rented but I love the maritimes and would love to get back there.
I'm also trying to convince the wife of a rocky mountaineer train voyage would be amazing. She also has family in Red Deer and Edmonton so we may make it out there.

We are definitely thinking about how we can vacation in Canada the next couple of years instead of going to the States all the time.

Many years ago we drove out to PEI and made a number of stops along the way. We would love to do that again. Our last visit to PEI wasn't great due to weather and some issues with the cottage we rented but I love the maritimes and would love to get back there.
I'm also trying to convince the wife of a rocky mountaineer train voyage would be amazing. She also has family in Red Deer and Edmonton so we may make it out there.

This is what I find hard about travelling in the Maritimes - the weather is so unpredictable if you go before late July/August, especially anywhere along the coast. And of course, if you go anywhere in July/August, it costs almost twice as much money, compared to travelling in say June. Last year we got the cottage in PEI for $1000 for a week, because it was before peak season (July 1st at that place). That same cottage a week later was $1700. The trade off was, many days on our vacation we were in jeans and sweatshirts even though it was the end of June. So, while we enjoyed walking the beach, splashing a bit along the edge, flying kites etc... not once was it ever warm enough to actually go in the water.

We did that a couple of years ago. So. Much. Fun. We went to Vancouver a couple of days ahead, and did a day in Victoria before the trip. We did SilverLeaf and that was great. It's an expensive trip, but I'd love to do it again....probably the opposite way, Calgary to Vancouver, or maybe one of the more northern routes.

For a PEI stop on an adult trip (although depending on your kids it may or may not be worth it/enjoyable), I highly recommend The Inn at Bay Fortune. It is Chef Michael Smith's inn and restaurant. It is definitely $$$ but a once in a lifetime experience to stay there and enjoy their Fireworks Feast. It was like 7 courses, all cooked over fire. The best meal I've ever had in my life. We celebrated our anniversary a bit early a couple of summers ago there and I dream of going back.

We have a trip booked with 2 other couples to go to Halifax in July, main reason was to attend the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Toronto Argos football game as we have tickets in hand. Well looks like the game is off but I am about 99.9% sure we(flat landers) are still going. I am looking so forward to this as I personally have never travelled to the East Coast (my wife has).

For a PEI stop on an adult trip (although depending on your kids it may or may not be worth it/enjoyable), I highly recommend The Inn at Bay Fortune. It is Chef Michael Smith's inn and restaurant. It is definitely $$$ but a once in a lifetime experience to stay there and enjoy their Fireworks Feast. It was like 7 courses, all cooked over fire. The best meal I've ever had in my life. We celebrated our anniversary a bit early a couple of summers ago there and I dream of going back.

adding this to my list. it looks amazing!

i don’t think an east coast trip is in our near future, but maybe in 5 or so years.

I'd suggest the Granby zoo. I grew up in Granby and the zoo has massivly grown in the last ehem...4 decades :) It's not that far out of Montreal if anyone is driving on the Trans Canada. Downside is the lack of brand name hotels for a city that big. I had considered making it a week-end trip to show DW and DS x2 where I grew up and hung out. Sadly I remember buying the seasons pass for $2. I doubt would still apply LOL
And take a trip to Niagara Falls. It doesn't have a ton of appeal to us anymore since we live so close but we always find something to do there, even parking by the Embassy and walking close to the falls to see the location of the scow.

I'd suggest the Granby zoo. I grew up in Granby and the zoo has massivly grown in the last ehem...4 decades :) It's not that far out of Montreal if anyone is driving on the Trans Canada. Downside is the lack of brand name hotels for a city that big. I had considered making it a week-end trip to show DW and DS x2 where I grew up and hung out. Sadly I remember buying the seasons pass for $2. I doubt would still apply LOL
And take a trip to Niagara Falls. It doesn't have a ton of appeal to us anymore since we live so close but we always find something to do there, even parking by the Embassy and walking close to the falls to see the location of the scow.

That place is on my list for places to go, we're in Ottawa so it's not that far. Just never seem to get around to it. They seem to have a waterpark type area as well that looks like fun, though not sure if it's too "little" for my big 10-year-old now.

That place is on my list for places to go, we're in Ottawa so it's not that far. Just never seem to get around to it. They seem to have a waterpark type area as well that looks like fun, though not sure if it's too "little" for my big 10-year-old now.
It looks to have grown a lot since I was a kid and their website looks good. All I can say is the Granby and Toronto zoos and polar opposites :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter