Canadian Olympic thread

I like the comment someone put
"go welcome your team at the airport, they should be arriving soon" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Canadian women are in the curling finals!

Congrats to them on their 6-5 win. Now it's the men's turn. And the women's hockey team go for gold later today. And Joannie skates in the free skate tonight. I guess we'll be eating supper in front of the big screen tonight....again :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:FANTASTIC THE CANADIAN WOMEN RULE HOCKEY NOW I HOPE THE MEN CAN WIN AS WELL. WE LEAVE FOR DISNEY IN 2 WEEKS AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WEAR SOMETHING CANADIAN AND BRAGGING CANADA RULES HOCKEY:cool1:
HMMMMMMMMMM MAYBE THE WOMEN SHOULD TAKE OVER THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS IT WOULD BE BIG IMPROVEMENT:rotfl2:

uh, oh...... Canadian women's hockey team are in hot water.

On ice celebrations included beer, wine and cigars.

Who in their rite mind lets this stuff happen?

uh, oh...... Canadian women's hockey team are in hot water.

On ice celebrations included beer, wine and cigars.

Who in their rite mind lets this stuff happen?

Is it really that big of a deal? It's not like they were drinking during the medal ceremony.

Is it really that big of a deal? It's not like they were drinking during the medal ceremony.

Doesn't matter what I think, they will have to deal with the IOC and Canadian Olympic Committee.

But since you asked, yes, it is a big deal IMO, especially if any of them are not legal drinking age.

Doesn't matter what I think, they will have to deal with the IOC and Canadian Olympic Committee.

But since you asked, yes, it is a big deal IMO, especially if any of them are not legal drinking age.

There were no fans in the arena and they are all at least 18. Having a celebratory beer isn't going to hurt anyone. They weren't skating around the ice getting trashed.

There were no fans in the arena and they are all at least 18. Having a celebratory beer isn't going to hurt anyone. They weren't skating around the ice getting trashed.

You can make any excuse you want, doesn't change the law.

If you are under age, you are not permitted to drink.

Anywho, it's just my opinion. You can argue it if you want.

IMO, the team officials should have known better.

You can make any excuse you want, doesn't change the law.

If you are under age, you are not permitted to drink.

Anywho, it's just my opinion. You can argue it if you want.

IMO, the team officials should have known better.

You right they are underage but simply because they did something that was against the law doesn't mean that it was morally wrong.

Find me a police officer that would arrest or ticket them.

You right they are underage but simply because they did something that was against the law doesn't mean that it was morally wrong.

Find me a police officer that would arrest or ticket them.

Most times a police officer will probably just drive home an underage drinker, unless they are drunk.

I don't condone underage drinking, that's just me. Like I said, I think it was a poor decision by the team officials.

Generally I would agree, who cares, they're just enjoying a beer after the game ... then I saw these pictures on CNN and I would have to say, it does look kinda tacky and perhaps they should have thought about it a little more (they're not just hanging around sipping a brewsky).
I'm certainly no prude, but maybe I'm sensitive as a mom. I've been showing my girls all of the women's medal winning performances, celebrations etc. I don't think they'll be checking this out. :rotfl:

http://winterolympics.si.com/2010/02/26/aint-no-party-like-a-gold-medal-party/?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=52800.html?cid=rsstsn

Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson says the president of the International Olympic Committee should watch more women's hockey before criticizing the level of competition at the Olympics.

Nicholson came to the defence of women's hockey Thursday after IOC president Jacques Rogge said competition level in the sport needed to improve.

"Rogge should watch hockey more than just at the Olympics because it is getting better," Nicholson told The Canadian Press.

Rogge's criticisms came on the same day women's hockey was firmly in the Olympic spotlight - Canada defeated the United States 2-0 Thursday in the women's hockey final.

Canada and the United States have dominated women's hockey since it debuted at the 1998 Winter Games in Nagano. The two teams have appeared in three of the four Olympic finals, save the 2006 Turin Games when Sweden upset the U.S. in the semifinals before losing to eventual champion Canada.

Rogge suggested that more countries need to field competitive women's hockey teams in order for the sport to grow.

"There must be at a certain stage an improvement, we cannot continue without improvement," he said.

"There is an improvement in the number of nations and we want to see this wider."
Nicholson said other teams are improving, but Canada is doing it faster.

"They take one step, we take two," he said.

Canada's Shannon Szabados, who was named the top goaltender of the women's tournament, said the women's game should be given the same amount of time to grow as men's hockey.

When the men's game made its debut in 1924, the Canadian men outscored their opposition 122-3. At the 1936 Olympics, the margin had narrowed to 55-9.

"Women's hockey has grown so much. It took the men's game a long while to be competitive," Szabados said. "I think the women's game is fine. The teams are getting better."

It's not the first time during these Games that an ice hockey official has come to the defence of women's hockey. International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel said during a Feb. 18 press conference that women's hockey simply needs time to develop.

"It's our goal to have more women playing hockey, especially in Europe," said Fasel. "China is another goal. We will continue; we have to go through this. It takes time. I (guarantee) 100 per cent that we will reach a point where we have a better tournament. It's just the U.S. and Canada are on another planet and Sweden and Finland."

Chris Rudge, CEO of the Canadian Olympic Committee, said previously that while there have been lopsided scores, women's hockey remains a valuable team sport in the Winter Games.

"Clearly we're having some disproportionate scores," he told a briefing last week.

"This is a complex issue because we want to see the sport develop, as Canadians we love hockey. We'd like to see more of hockey played around the world, we'd like to do what we can to help facilitate its development."
After reading that article I was looking at some of the comments others posted on there and one person brought up the fact that for many years in other Olympic sports are always dominated by athletes from European countries, so why doesn't Rogge come out and say its' not fair to athletes from Canada or the United States? One event that comes to mind is Ski Jumping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter