Buying for trips with multiple adults

DH and I purchased 210 points at AKV in 2009 and have taken both my parents and MIL on week long trips...we book studios. 1 for us and one for them. In years past I have been able to score 2 value studios but not in the last couple of years, so I book standard. Until this year DH and I were working full time, now DH is retired. The last two trips and this one in Nov are just he and I. We love going with parents but we also like going alone. There is no way my parents (74 and 80 and MIL 76) could sleep on a sofa. DH used to sleep on the pull out in the studio, mu BIL does when he stays in my MIL room. But the last two trips DH had rather sleep on the bed with me. We share a king at home and both use CPAPs. So until this last year he liked having more room on his own surface. Now we are just older and we will just have to get used to sleeping close together on a queen mattress with dualing CPAPs. Life moves on, people change and age comes into play. I am turning 50 this year and DH is 54. I don't want to sleep on a fold out and I don't him to sleep on it either. I want to rest on vacation, maybe not even go to a park.

I promise you once you own DVC your perception of vacation, time vs money, money vs comfort, comfort vs privacy comes into play. At this point, I where an old t shirt to bed and we both make funny sounds while asleep in the night. Heck when I was 28 I would go and stay in a 26 foot camper with 5 adults and 3 kids....no way in hell I could do that now...how is that a vacation. But life and age changes you. You spend a lot of money on a Disney timeshare, you want to share the good times with family and friends, been there and done that...

This next July we will get a ( I hope) a two bedroom dedicated for DH, me, DH's BFF, his wife and their two teenagers: a girl 14 and boy 18. I am getting a dedicated so DH and I will have the king, and then they will have two queens and the pull outs to decide how they want to do their sleeping arrangements. Lodging is on us. I think they will have a great time with the space and their two bathrooms. Everyone has a bed and they can decide where the kids sleep and who gets the second queen bed...not my problem. We have also explained that once made this reservation can not/will not be cancelled. If something happens and they cannot go then my parents or MIL will go. If that happens they get the king and DH and I each get a queen. I can only afford 5 nights in a 2 bedroom ( 195 points). Even if I added the one time only points and combine them with my 15 remaining pints it isn't enough to get the 6th night ( which would have to be a Friday or Saturday at 46 points). This is the one and only time we will ever do this kind of trip. We really want them to go and experience Disney like we do in a way.

I said all that to say this...it is ultimately your money. You are buying the timeshare, don't buy it for anyone but you. Life changes and people say they will do something, then don't...because their life changes. You are only responsible to yourself. It has to be for you and you alone...it is a waste of money otherwise. If they want to go, they will sleep on the pull out...simple as that.

If you're comparing one room to a 2 BR it'll never make sense. 2 rooms compared to a 2 BR will take a while to break even but when you factor in all the issues, it should. I would not buy expecting others to pay any of the charges as that is unreliable and often they don't "understand" timeshares. Owning likely won't save you money but it likely will upgrade your experience if you can plan ahead and are OK with the limitations of a timeshare. It also locks in part of the charges long term.

I definitely see value in the upgraded experience by having all that extra space, especially with adults. I guess I should be looking at it besides just price if I want to continue vacationing at Disney annually.

DH and I purchased 210 points at AKV in 2009 and have taken both my parents and MIL on week long trips...we book studios. 1 for us and one for them. In years past I have been able to score 2 value studios but not in the last couple of years, so I book standard. Until this year DH and I were working full time, now DH is retired. The last two trips and this one in Nov are just he and I. We love going with parents but we also like going alone. There is no way my parents (74 and 80 and MIL 76) could sleep on a sofa. DH used to sleep on the pull out in the studio, mu BIL does when he stays in my MIL room. But the last two trips DH had rather sleep on the bed with me. We share a king at home and both use CPAPs. So until this last year he liked having more room on his own surface. Now we are just older and we will just have to get used to sleeping close together on a queen mattress with dualing CPAPs. Life moves on, people change and age comes into play. I am turning 50 this year and DH is 54. I don't want to sleep on a fold out and I don't him to sleep on it either. I want to rest on vacation, maybe not even go to a park.

I promise you once you own DVC your perception of vacation, time vs money, money vs comfort, comfort vs privacy comes into play. At this point, I where an old t shirt to bed and we both make funny sounds while asleep in the night. Heck when I was 28 I would go and stay in a 26 foot camper with 5 adults and 3 kids....no way in hell I could do that now...how is that a vacation. But life and age changes you. You spend a lot of money on a Disney timeshare, you want to share the good times with family and friends, been there and done that...

This next July we will get a ( I hope) a two bedroom dedicated for DH, me, DH's BFF, his wife and their two teenagers: a girl 14 and boy 18. I am getting a dedicated so DH and I will have the king, and then they will have two queens and the pull outs to decide how they want to do their sleeping arrangements. Lodging is on us. I think they will have a great time with the space and their two bathrooms. Everyone has a bed and they can decide where the kids sleep and who gets the second queen bed...not my problem. We have also explained that once made this reservation can not/will not be cancelled. If something happens and they cannot go then my parents or MIL will go. If that happens they get the king and DH and I each get a queen. I can only afford 5 nights in a 2 bedroom ( 195 points). Even if I added the one time only points and combine them with my 15 remaining pints it isn't enough to get the 6th night ( which would have to be a Friday or Saturday at 46 points). This is the one and only time we will ever do this kind of trip. We really want them to go and experience Disney like we do in a way.

I said all that to say this...it is ultimately your money. You are buying the timeshare, don't buy it for anyone but you. Life changes and people say they will do something, then don't...because their life changes. You are only responsible to yourself. It has to be for you and you alone...it is a waste of money otherwise. If they want to go, they will sleep on the pull out...simple as that.

I appreciate your story! This is such a good point. I take other trips throughout the year and could find value having a studio just to myself. Maybe I need to look at DVC a different way and continue the AP/TA cash rooms when traveling with my family.

I definitely see value in the upgraded experience by having all that extra space, especially with adults. I guess I should be looking at it besides just price if I want to continue vacationing at Disney annually.

I appreciate your story! This is such a good point. I take other trips throughout the year and could find value having a studio just to myself. Maybe I need to look at DVC a different way and continue the AP/TA cash rooms when traveling with my family.
You want to look at price but also value. IMO if you'll go routinely and your break even is around 10-12 years, it's a reasonable upgrade assuming you can plan ahead and are OK with the limitations of a timeshare including no routine housekeeping. But it is a big long term commitment with financial risk since dues will go up over time.

This is a great point. Booking 2 studios is much cheaper than booking a 2BR, the only issue is availability. If you can plan ahead enough and can take advantage of the 11 month window, you should be fine. If the full kitchen and laundry is important, the 2BR premium may be worth it for you.

This is a great point. Booking 2 studios is much cheaper than booking a 2BR, the only issue is availability. If you can plan ahead enough and can take advantage of the 11 month window, you should be fine. If the full kitchen and laundry is important, the 2BR premium may be worth it for you.
When Poly was being sold direct I really considered this option. Seeing that we typically go for GF in December, the idea of 2 studios even with home resort advantage of 11 months seemed impossible based on what I had read/researched.

It is cheaper but not all that much. It varies some but usually it's around 25% more to book a 2 BR over 2 studios but can be as low as only 15% savings for some options. . The thing about 2 studios is they are not connecting and must have at least 1 adult in each room which doesn't sound like an issue for the OP but can for many. You also lose out on the real beds for all but OKW & VB (Inn rooms only), WD & full kitchen as well as the extra bath for BLT & part of AKV and larger bath in general. But is is some cheaper and gives more privacy in some situations. This really is glaring when you look at a 3 BR compared to 3 studios or a 2 BR plus a studio.

We often take friends or family on our points - we always cover the room - and often end up covering other expenses so that those on tighter incomes can join us. And DVC has really made that possible. But I would caution - as others have - only buy with the intent of taking others if you can afford to treat - its an expensive proposition to do so - but the commitment you make will be yours - and if your family pitches in consistently for the life of the contract - never having other financial priorities - you will be very lucky.

Having owned fifteen years, we are starting to run out of people we want to travel with who want to go to Disney with us. We have enough points for a two bedroom every other year for a week - and unless we find guests, that's turning into too many points. My parents and my husband's parents are elderly and don't want to do Disney any longer - my sisters have their own vacation plans - my husband's brother passed away, and the friends who we want to travel with have all gone once - and probably don't need to go again. I'm not sure what stage of life you are in, but each stage comes with challenges for group vacationing.

We often take friends or family on our points - we always cover the room - and often end up covering other expenses so that those on tighter incomes can join us. And DVC has really made that possible. But I would caution - as others have - only buy with the intent of taking others if you can afford to treat - its an expensive proposition to do so - but the commitment you make will be yours - and if your family pitches in consistently for the life of the contract - never having other financial priorities - you will be very lucky.

Having owned fifteen years, we are starting to run out of people we want to travel with who want to go to Disney with us. We have enough points for a two bedroom every other year for a week - and unless we find guests, that's turning into too many points. My parents and my husband's parents are elderly and don't want to do Disney any longer - my sisters have their own vacation plans - my husband's brother passed away, and the friends who we want to travel with have all gone once - and probably don't need to go again. I'm not sure what stage of life you are in, but each stage comes with challenges for group vacationing.

DW and I can go with you. :love:

:earsboy: Bill

I have really been considering what everyone has said and weighing options.

I know the typical advice and my initial approach was to go resale first, and then possibly do a direct add-on for the perks, etc. If I were to do a 100-125 point VGF resale I see prices on average around $180 pp. I know direct is $220 pp. So about a $4,000/5,000 difference. (If only it were still 2017 before the 75 point minimum change... sigh).

Would it still make sense to go resale for VGF first? Not that $4,000/5,000 is not a lot of money, there is just not as big of a savings compared to some other resorts. While I know the membership extras are not guaranteed, it is hard for me to grasp the concept of spending around $20,000+ up front and not having a contract with full benefits. The gold AP would also help counteract a little of the difference (of course, if it is still offered).

I know the typical advice and my initial approach was to go resale first, and then possibly do a direct add-on for the perks, etc. If I were to do a 100-125 point VGF resale I see prices on average around $180 pp. I know direct is $220 pp. So about a $4,000/5,000 difference. (If only it were still 2017 before the 75 point minimum change... sigh).

Would it still make sense to go resale for VGF first? Not that $4,000/5,000 is not a lot of money, there is just not as big of a savings compared to some other resorts. While I know the membership extras are not guaranteed, it is hard for me to grasp the concept of spending around $20,000+ up front and not having a contract with full benefits. The gold AP would also help counteract a little of the difference (of course, if it is still offered).

How much will you save if you bought 100 resale and 75 direct? You can always make use of a few extra points!

I think direct perks are as likely to increase as they are to decrease if DVC wants to boost sales and combat the competition from resale.

You should be able to do better than $180pp for VGC though. 125 is not a size that attracts the ultra small contract premium. $150-$160pp is a realistic target based on the ROFR threads.

How much will you save if you bought 100 resale and 75 direct? You can always make use of a few extra points!

I will go back to my spreadsheet and check!

I think direct perks are as likely to increase as they are to decrease if DVC wants to boost sales and combat the competition from resale.

You should be able to do better than $180pp for VGC though. 125 is not a size that attracts the ultra small contract premium. $150-$160pp is a realistic target based on the ROFR threads.

Great point, I was just looking at the asking price. I see some similar sized contracts that passed at 145 in the past 2/3 months. A savings of $75 pp is definitely more significant.

It looks like $7,500 in savings if I estimate with a $145 pp cost resale.

100 Resale ($14,500) + 75 Direct ($16,500) = $31,000

175 Direct = $38,500

It looks like $7,500 in savings if I estimate with a $145 pp cost resale.

100 Resale ($14,500) + 75 Direct ($16,500) = $31,000

175 Direct = $38,500

Have you considered 75 direct at a future resort, maybe Riviera or Poly Phase 2 (OK, I made that one up. That's what would tempt me)? We're not interested Aulani/CCV due to location, high annual dues, and the home resort window being not as important there. But a contract at a new resort with reasonable MF, full 50 years, purchasing December UY in November to get 2 years of points and pay only 1 month of dues... That shrinks the difference in purchase price and makes it more palatable ;)

Have you considered 75 direct at a future resort, maybe Riviera or Poly Phase 2 (OK, I made that one up. That's what would tempt me)? We're not interested Aulani/CCV due to location, high annual dues, and the home resort window being not as important there. But a contract at a new resort with reasonable MF, full 50 years, purchasing December UY in November to get 2 years of points and pay only 1 month of dues... That shrinks the difference in purchase price and makes it more palatable ;)
I have. CCV/Aulani wouldn’t be my first choices either.

I do split stays with Epcot and MK resorts at different times of the year. I really like Yacht/Beach and being able to walk to two parks. My concern with BCV as a direct add-on was the lower duration of benefits and high price. I know 24 years is a long time from now, but say I wanted to sell in 10/15 years. I was concerned about what would happen to the value of the contract closer to the end of its life. I’m considering the 75 direct at VGF because it is truly my favorite resort in December so it won’t go to waste and it would get me 46 years. I also feel like it will hold its high resale value.

Riviera seems like it will be very nice, but idk if it will be too similar to BLT. I also have to see how this skyliner plays out. Walking to two parks will definitely trump that (IMO).

If poly built that rumored tower, I would definitely be tempted!

It can be very difficult to find what you want to match the exact UY and range of points you want resale when you already own assuming it's important to match them up and it is in this situation. VGF will make it almost impossible if you're trying to make that match. Without knowing your exact circumstances and having a feel for the nuances of your situation it's impossible to come up with a core plan. However, here are some considerations. First, it's unlikely you'll be able to make up the difference in resale savings with the pass and other discounts, you'll be lucky to break even. Finding VGF in general can be difficult, if you're tied to retail and VGF you might see if you can get VGF retail instead. Also, even if you find VGF it might be a much larger contract than you're looking at and being willing to go resale only makes that a more workable option. Thus it might come down to retail OR VGF but not both. I'm not sure where you've normally been staying, maybe I missed it, but you're giving up a lot of savings looking this high end. I like VGF but I'd only buy there if I were going to stay there using those points almost all the time. As for Riviera, since you mentioned the EPCOT resorts before, I think buying resale and waiting to see what happens there is a reasonable option if you're set on retail anyway. That way you'll have access to the member presales and incentives. I'd strongly recommend you get past the concept that you're losing out by buying only resale, make it a financial analysis that saves you significant money in just a few years if you go that route, not an emotional one. At the 25 pt requirement it was reasonable for insurance, it is not at this point. Good luck.

It can be very difficult to find what you want to match the exact UY and range of points you want resale when you already own assuming it's important to match them up and it is in this situation. VGF will make it almost impossible if you're trying to make that match. Without knowing your exact circumstances and having a feel for the nuances of your situation it's impossible to come up with a core plan. However, here are some considerations. First, it's unlikely you'll be able to make up the difference in resale savings with the pass and other discounts, you'll be lucky to break even. Finding VGF in general can be difficult, if you're tied to retail and VGF you might see if you can get VGF retail instead. Also, even if you find VGF it might be a much larger contract than you're looking at and being willing to go resale only makes that a more workable option. Thus it might come down to retail OR VGF but not both. I'm not sure where you've normally been staying, maybe I missed it, but you're giving up a lot of savings looking this high end. I like VGF but I'd only buy there if I were going to stay there using those points almost all the time. As for Riviera, since you mentioned the EPCOT resorts before, I think buying resale and waiting to see what happens there is a reasonable option if you're set on retail anyway. That way you'll have access to the member presales and incentives. I'd strongly recommend you get past the concept that you're losing out by buying only resale, make it a financial analysis that saves you significant money in just a few years if you go that route, not an emotional one. At the 25 pt requirement it was reasonable for insurance, it is not at this point. Good luck.
Thank you. I wanted an October UY and I have stayed at the GF the past few Decembers with another reservation coming up this December. This would definitely be the resort I would want to stay at for that time of year and if I happened to switch gears one year and do a late October trip. I would not want to use the VGF points on a different resort. I was looking at 100 points initially each way. 100 resale to get my feet wet and it seems like there are a few of these out there OR 100 direct since it is the minimum. Looks like there is still a lot to consider. I have been going back and forth for a few years so I guess a little more time won't hurt.

We have an Oct UY, works great for us because we enjoy the cooler weather at WDW. We also have MK and Epcot area resorts. Our current favorites are VGF, BWV and CCV for the cabins. Our other resorts, BCV, AKV, BRV, BLT are all fine resorts, just not our favorites.

We have an Oct UY, works great for us because we enjoy the cooler weather at WDW. We also have MK and Epcot area resorts. Our current favorites are VGF, BWV and CCV for the cabins. Our other resorts, BCV, AKV, BRV, BLT are all fine resorts, just not our favorites.

I feel the same about weather, those months are perfect and always my favorite trips!

My friend who bought Poly direct a few years back on a whim did not even know what her UY was when I initially asked her. I eventually found out she got a December UY when she travels around Thanksgiving. She thinks I am crazy for wanting a specific UY. Time will tell if she feels the same way.

You make an excellent point that needs change and 2064 is a long time from now. I could always start small and expand if needed.

that is a good idea, though VGF costs so much per point, and then each reservation costs so much IN points, that initial startup costs are pretty tough!

It is cheaper but not all that much. It varies some but usually it's around 25% more to book a 2 BR over 2 studios but can be as low as only 15% savings for some options. . The thing about 2 studios is they are not connecting and must have at least 1 adult in each room which doesn't sound like an issue for the OP but can for many. You also lose out on the real beds for all but OKW & VB (Inn rooms only), WD & full kitchen as well as the extra bath for BLT & part of AKV and larger bath in general. But is is some cheaper and gives more privacy in some situations. This really is glaring when you look at a 3 BR compared to 3 studios or a 2 BR plus a studio.

True - but I was just looking at points charts for VGF - a std 2BR at VGF seems more like a 33% or more markup over 2 std studios. If OP is looking at Xmas week, for example, 2 standard studios = 452 points, a 2BR std for the same time = 632 points... a 179 point difference, or a 40% markup. Even at low points times (early Dec), a week in 2 standard studios = 250 points, vs 340 pts for a 2BR at the same time. Again, almost 40% markup. Of course you get a ton more space plus W/D and full kitchen, but - VGF is a small resort so the laundry rooms are super close anyway.

depending on when OP usually travels, they *could* make do with a 200 point contract to start (I know... ), and in years where not all adults are going, rent extra points to cover costs. But it *is* a lot of $ up front. And yes, competition for studios can be fierce - we shall see next year as we are considering an xmas 2019 trip - but I think if you're ok with getting 1 standard and 1 lake view studio, you should be ok. (or learn how to walk a reservation).

I am getting really stingy with my VGF points. I'd rather all of us be in a studio (2 kids who can share the sofabed) and go more often than go less often in a 1BR, even.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter