Buying for trips with multiple adults

PolyRob

DIS Veteran
I have been researching and considering DVC for a few years. Every calculation I run shows me breaking even earliest after owning for 11/12 years when pricing studios compared to discounted deluxe resorts.

My concern with this is that I travel with numerous adults that would like to sleep in beds, therefore meaning 2-bedroom units. Factoring for 2-bedrooms at places like VGF (the preferred purchase location) becomes insanely high. I understand a regular room does not compare to a 2-bedroom’s living space, kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. However, it is the only option for 2+ beds unless I look at 2 studios which seems like it would be very difficult to secure, especially at VGF in December.

Am I crazy not to consider the sleeper sofa a viable option to potentially save after 11/12 years? Are there adults out there that like the sleeper sofa? Or would it be worth it for emotional satisfaction? I see numerous comments that people sell in 10 years or less (which is evident by the resale PVB, VGF, and BLT contracts) so I am apprehensive to take the plunge if I may not reach that point.

My concern with this is that I travel with numerous adults that would like to sleep in beds, therefore meaning 2-bedroom units. Factoring for 2-bedrooms at places like VGF (the preferred purchase location) becomes insanely high. I understand a regular room does not compare to a 2-bedroom’s living space, kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. However, it is the only option for 2+ beds unless I look at 2 studios which seems like it would be very difficult to secure, especially at VGF in December.

How many adults? Are you happy to share the same room? OKW studios have two queen beds.

Am I crazy not to consider the sleeper sofa a viable option to potentially save after 11/12 years? Are there adults out there that like the sleeper sofa? Or would it be worth it for emotional satisfaction? I see numerous comments that people sell in 10 years or less (which is evident by the resale PVB, VGF, and BLT contracts) so I am apprehensive to take the plunge if I may not reach that point.

If you sell in 10 years, you'll probably be able to et back part of what you've spent. Currently prices on the resale market are very high, people are able to sell now for double what they paid in 2008. But I wouldn't count on it, 10 years ago there was a recession and now price are peaking. However it is true that even during the recession, DVC kept some value while other timeshare were given away for $1 on Ebay, with owners paying all costs just to get rid of them. So you don't have to break even in 10 years compared to your full purchase price, but comparing the difference between what you pay now and what you'll be able to sell it for in 10 years.

Owning DVC doesn't necessarily save you money, if it did, Disney wouldn't be selling DVC contracts. Most owners end up spending more on their Disney vacations, they now vacation more than once per year at Disney and they often buy AP's which for sure makes them vacation longer or more than once per year. Mentally Disney knows that spending points or credits doesn't hurt like spending cash and they use that to their advantage.

:earsboy: Bill

Will you receive and money from these other adults or are you paying 100% of the trip? If you are paying I think asking the other adults to stay on the FREE sleeper sofa is a fair trade off and you can plan for studios or 1BRS. If they are contributing to the cost then I think going with the 2BR is the way to go.

In your calculations, is the discounted deluxe room cost for 1 or 2 rooms? I'm just trying to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

I see that some mention that they check online to see if the contract has been updated in the Disney system. When can we do this as this is our first DVC purchase?
Are these other adults financially contributing to the purchase of the contract? Are they your adult children or friends? If not, I agree with PP that you should not be so hung up on the sleeping arrangements. I am sure they could request a bed topper if it is uncomfortable (I have never done at WDW but have at other hotels).

Will these adults always be traveling with you? Sometimes you need to buy for your use because involving others can complicate the situation and cloud what your needs really are. Even if they are your family everyone's needs and desires change so they may be all in now in going with you, but that could change in a year or two when they are disney'd out or they no longer want to share a room and then this leaves you with having bought a contract to afford a 2 BR when in actuality you only need a studio or 1 BR.

If you are buying resale then you would likely break even closer to the 7 year mark than 11-12 years. If you are financing then of course that does change the break even.

If you have never stayed at a DVC room or slept on the pull out then maybe book a DVC rental so that you can see for yourself just how it is. Even if it is just a short 2-3 day trip.

I appreciate all the feedback! It is very hard to discuss this with people that do not understand Disney and/or DVC!

Owning DVC doesn't necessarily save you money, if it did, Disney wouldn't be selling DVC contracts. Most owners end up spending more on their Disney vacations, they now vacation more than once per year at Disney and they often buy AP's which for sure makes them vacation longer or more than once per year. Mentally Disney knows that spending points or credits doesn't hurt like spending cash and they use that to their advantage.

That is a great point. Similar to how I feel about the dining plan. Disney knows what it is doing. I have had an AP for the past three years, but I guess it could change in the future. I have been fortunate to never book a room at rack rate during those three years and always look for the best "deal" out there that I can find.

Will you receive and money from these other adults or are you paying 100% of the trip? If you are paying I think asking the other adults to stay on the FREE sleeper sofa is a fair trade off and you can plan for studios or 1BRS. If they are contributing to the cost then I think going with the 2BR is the way to go.

In your calculations, is the discounted deluxe room cost for 1 or 2 rooms? I'm just trying to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

I was comparing one outer building garden view room based on AP/TA discounts I had received in the past at GF with a resale contract with my desired use year large enough to cover it annually without banking and borrowing and a possible 6% increase on dues per year.

Are these other adults financially contributing to the purchase of the contract? Are they your adult children or friends? If not, I agree with PP that you should not be so hung up on the sleeping arrangements. I am sure they could request a bed topper if it is uncomfortable (I have never done at WDW but have at other hotels).

Will these adults always be traveling with you? Sometimes you need to buy for your use because involving others can complicate the situation and cloud what your needs really are. Even if they are your family everyone's needs and desires change so they may be all in now in going with you, but that could change in a year or two when they are disney'd out or they no longer want to share a room and then this leaves you with having bought a contract to afford a 2 BR when in actuality you only need a studio or 1 BR.

If you are buying resale then you would likely break even closer to the 7 year mark than 11-12 years. If you are financing then of course that does change the break even.

If you have never stayed at a DVC room or slept on the pull out then maybe book a DVC rental so that you can see for yourself just how it is. Even if it is just a short 2-3 day trip.

I would be the DVC member on the contract and footing the one time payment for the points. I would not finance it. The adults are a mixture of adult siblings and parents who would pay towards the room on trips (definitely covering the MF+ for the year if we're traveling together).

You make an excellent point that needs change and 2064 is a long time from now. I could always start small and expand if needed.

I have not personally tried a DVC sleeper sofa. My GF trips are usually in December and I have tried to rent with no luck due to the popularity/demand of the limited number of studios. I know I can still try CCV booking cash directly through Disney. Maybe just even one night would be a good test.

We avoid the sofa bed due to mixed comfort results. Sometimes just sitting on the sofa is uncomfortable. You might get an okay sofa bed or one that is worn out. At SSR they brought in a different sofa because the frame was bent and wouldn't open. At BRV they replaced the sofa mattress that was very thin. Spending thousands of dollars on a luxury vacation and trying to sleep on a crap sofa bed doesn't make sense IMO. In our case our guests that got the sofa beds stayed for free and they both regretted it.

We avoid the sofa bed due to mixed comfort results. Sometimes just sitting on the sofa is uncomfortable. You might get an okay sofa bed or one that is worn out. At SSR they brought in a different sofa because the frame was bent and wouldn't open. At BRV they replaced the sofa mattress that was very thin. Spending thousands of dollars on a luxury vacation and trying to sleep on a crap sofa bed doesn't make sense IMO. In our case our guests that got the sofa beds stayed for free and they both regretted it.

This is my concern. I would not ask one of my parents to use the sleeper sofa. I would also personally not want to if I spent $25,000 - $35,000 on the contract.

This is my concern. I would not ask one of my parents to use the sleeper sofa. I would also personally not want to if I spent $25,000 - $35,000 on the contract.

Our usual stays for two adults we get a one bedroom, with three adults we get a two bedroom. Next December we are getting a CCV cabin with three adults, we like our space and spend most of out time around the resort.

I think if I was in your shoes I'd probably either buy enough points for a 2BR or stick to cash rooms. I've only spent one night on a DVC pullout and wouldn't ever plan on doing it for a week stay. I think the pullout is fine for kids, but I wouldn't put my parents on it. I know some people find them super comfy, I'm just not in that camp.

I also think trying to book two VGF studios at the 11 month mark for early December would be pretty tough. I don't own there so I'm not an expert on booking patterns, but it's one of the only places I've seen reports where there is real competition at the 11 month mark (outside AKL CL or BWV STD view).

Normally I'd recommend looking at BLT or Poly, as they are cheaper upfront and take less points to get equal sleeping arrangements. But you seem know where you love to stay.

Thank you for the honest feedback.

Our usual stays for two adults we get a one bedroom, with three adults we get a two bedroom. Next December we are getting a CCV cabin with three adults, we like our space and spend most of out time around the resort.

That sounds so nice! That is why I thought 2-bedrooms would probably work best. Wanting home resort advantage at GF will be a larger buy-in that could maybe happen down the line if my vacation style stays the same.

I think if I was in your shoes I'd probably either buy enough points for a 2BR or stick to cash rooms. I've only spent one night on a DVC pullout and wouldn't ever plan on doing it for a week stay. I think the pullout is fine for kids, but I wouldn't put my parents on it. I know some people find them super comfy, I'm just not in that camp.

I also think trying to book two VGF studios at the 11 month mark for early December would be pretty tough. I don't own there so I'm not an expert on booking patterns, but it's one of the only places I've seen reports where there is real competition at the 11 month mark (outside AKL CL or BWV STD view).

Normally I'd recommend looking at BLT or Poly, as they are cheaper upfront and take less points to get equal sleeping arrangements. But you seem know where you love to stay.

I have been trying to figure out how to make it work because we do visit frequently and are fans of Disney. If its not the right time, its not the right time. DVC will be there in a few years if things change. I appreciate it!

We own 7 resorts but seem to only stay at our favorites, VGF, BWV and CCV. IMO VGF was given special touches because it is located at Disney's flagship resort the GF.

We own 7 resorts but seem to only stay at our favorites, VGF, BWV and CCV. IMO VGF was given special touches because it is located at Disney's flagship resort the GF.

I'm always available for a gratuitous transfer of your BCV contracts. Think of all the maintenance fees you'll save!

:)

This is why VGF is the place I would really want to own first. Staying at the GF is always so nice and those villas are gorgeous. Maybe one day if it makes the most sense!

This is why VGF is the place I would really want to own first. Staying at the GF is always so nice and those villas are gorgeous. Maybe one day if it makes the most sense!

Meh. They have better tap water in the EPCOT area. Magic Kingdom water is the worst. (Served courtesy of some quality late 60's vintage iron or lead piping, no doubt.)

Meh. They have better tap water in the EPCOT area. Magic Kingdom water is the worst. (Served courtesy of some quality late 60's vintage iron or lead piping, no doubt.)
HAHAHA. I do enjoy the Epcot resorts as well. My other trips are usually split stays between the Epcot and MK resorts. BCV and BWV were on my spreadsheet as possible second contracts.

Funny that you should mention the water. Actually it does have a different taste, per Walt's written instructions found after he passed, they lined the water pipes with gold, just another Disney touch for their flagship resort.

I lug in pallets of bottled water in my gigantic twin jogging pram, clown car circus style, to avoid drinking tap water like plebs ;)

Funny that you should mention the water. Actually it does have a different taste, per Walt's written instructions found after he passed, they lined the water pipes with gold, just another Disney touch for their flagship resort.

They must have improved filtration because MK water used to be really unbearable but now it's at least tolerable. Epcot area water tastes a lot less contaminated. There's definitely a difference.

I have been researching and considering DVC for a few years. Every calculation I run shows me breaking even earliest after owning for 11/12 years when pricing studios compared to discounted deluxe resorts.

If you're comparing one room to a 2 BR it'll never make sense. 2 rooms compared to a 2 BR will take a while to break even but when you factor in all the issues, it should. I would not buy expecting others to pay any of the charges as that is unreliable and often they don't "understand" timeshares. Owning likely won't save you money but it likely will upgrade your experience if you can plan ahead and are OK with the limitations of a timeshare. It also locks in part of the charges long term.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter