Bumped from Polynesian

Agree with all of the comments made. I booked Poly because I love the resort and the atmosphere. To me no other Disney hotel offers the same “feel,” if that makes sense. Being sent to the Contemporary is a downgrade (evidenced by the re-pricing) but I did choose it out of the options they gave since it’s on the monorail and we can walk to MK.
It’s not the first or last trip to the Poly for my family. The difference for this trip is that we are taking my mom, who has never stayed at the Polynesian and I was looking forward to being there with her. We will still go over there to visit.
If it was just my immediate family (who had stayed at Poly many times and will continue to stay there) maybe I would feel differently? I just really wanted my mom to be able to experience it.

I am with @Dug720 on the CR being a MK Monorail resort.

The Garden Wing is equal to the different Longhouses at the Poly and the Tower would be equivalent to the GCH. And It not a radical downgrade. You may not love or even like the Architectural design but it's location is actually equal or slightly more convenient vs the Poly. A short walk to MK, Easy transfer to Epcot Monorail at TTC, and Boat to WL and FW at 3 PM every day.

The Guest rooms are the same size and they were even built at the same off-site facility at exactly the same time. While I don't love the Incredibles theme it is more recent then the Moana themed rooms at the Poly.

Hey they even have construction next door just like the Poly. The Poly has the Island tower and the CR has the BLT remodel next door.

Dave

The frequency and depth of discounts is much different. Garden Wing, YC, AKL… those regularly have deep discounts on large blocks of rooms. Poly has higher prices, small if any discounts, and unlike the other ‘comparable’ choices is never found on something like Priceline Express Deals. May not be a radical downgrade but it is not the customer unable to keep their end of an expensive contract.

They should be familiar the demand, value and what average guests are paying across their rooms and categories. The Poly is filling up at much higher pricing while GW often needs deep discount. Fortunately they must’ve taken that into consideration to give a ‘significant’ credit in lieu of the change to Garden Wing.

Either put you in something equivalent or better, or issue partial credit.
Hmm they "repriced the guest's stay" aka a credit or did you expect Disney to just give rooms away that are not available at the Poly as they repair the resort from Hurricane damage (in legal terms: Act of God).

It is not a case where Disney just overbooked the Poly and walked guests a week in advance. There are no available rooms at the Poly or GF. What exactly would be better offer in your view? There are only 2 rooms currently left showing as available at the CR for 3 nights next weekend. A Garden Wing Hospitality Suite and the Presidential Suite. This includes BLT, Tower, and Garden wing.

Dave

Hmm they "repriced the guest's stay" aka a credit or did you expect Disney to just give rooms away that are not available at the Poly as they repair the resort from Hurricane damage (in legal terms: Act of God).
It is not a case where Disney just overbooked the Poly and walked guests a week in advance. There are no available rooms at the Poly or GF. What exactly would be better offer in your view? There are only 2 rooms currently left showing as available at the CR for 3 nights next weekend. A Garden Wing Hospitality Suite and the Presidential Suite. This includes BLT, Tower, and Garden wing.

Dave

No I thought the credit was justified and acdeptable. That was the right thing for them to do. They don’t always do it or make it easy though.

They played us wrong one trip. I really should’ve given feedback. It was 3 very bad decisions in a row on their part and at the time I just wanted to spend the littel energy I had left politely getting it solved. No sorry or anything on their part. Look at last year when someone had BW 1BR booked and they tried to say YC regular room was equivalent trade without a credit, and it took too much to get them to bend. No way is that equivalent. It’s an insult to have them continue protesting it was.

Plenty of accounts left me scratching my head. I guess I just prefer them to do the right thing when appropriate. Instead sometimes the protocol seems to be let the guest absorb their misfortune. I realize things go wrong but be fair about it.

Oh for gosh sake. It’s not like WDW wanted to bump guests & create ill will. At least 1 building was seriously damaged BY A HURRICANE. Would you folks prefer the OP had to stay in a room with a leaking roof?? Or maybe listen to roofers pounding over their heads all day as the repairs are made?? Can you even imagine the posts & complaints if that happened?? Doesn’t matter if the “vibe” is different. Or this resort is normally a few dollars more. Poly & CR are both deluxe resorts & therefore an equitable move. It’s life, things happen. Things happened that were out of anyone’s control. And I’m sure the OP is not the only one who got bumped because of this. She got offered another monorail resort at least. People getting called after her may not even get that option.

Do you all think hotels in Ashville need to just open up with damaged buildings because people booked there this fall will be disappointed?

Oh for gosh sake. It’s not like WDW wanted to bump guests & create ill will. At least 1 building was seriously damaged BY A HURRICANE. Would you folks prefer the OP had to stay in a room with a leaking roof?? Or maybe listen to roofers pounding over their heads all day as the repairs are made?? Can you even imagine the posts & complaints if that happened?? Doesn’t matter if the “vibe” is different. Or this resort is normally a few dollars more. Poly & CR are both deluxe resorts & therefore an equitable move. It’s life, things happen. Things happened that were out of anyone’s control. And I’m sure the OP is not the only one who got bumped because of this. She got offered another monorail resort at least. People getting called after her may not even get that option.

Do you all think hotels in Ashville need to just open up with damaged buildings because people booked there this fall will be disappointed?

Yes, things go wrong. Ultimately though who’s responsibility is it? The guest should be gracious and understanding. Fair is fair. That’s what I’m saying. They know what is fair so why do they try put the onus on the customer to defend what is fair.

Yes, things go wrong. Ultimately though who’s responsibility is it? The guest should be gracious and understanding. Fair is fair. That’s what I’m saying. They know what is fair so why do they try put the onus on the customer to defend what is fair.

How did they put the onus on the guest? The OP did not say she had to defend what is fair. She was not offered a value or moderate resort. Whether you like it or not, a move to another available deluxe resort is fair in this case. The OP had a choice. If she didn’t like the offered alternative, she could have cancelled the stay altogether. Complaining about everything Disney does & holding them to unrealistic standards no other company is expected to meet is getting old.

OK maybe I’m a little biased after a head scratching experience with their hospitality.

We’ve only had one bad experience but boy was it a doozy.

3pm cash check-in deluxe resort. 6pm, still no room. We left the park at 2pm and were very patient twiddling our thumbs the whole time. Finally the get us the room after 6pm. Get our luggage out of Bell Services and go. Enter the room and wow, overwhelming chemicals. We open windows and doors, still our eyes and airway are burning. Go into the bedroom and it’s the source. I really can’t convey the industrial vapors. Literally burning our eyes and throats. Whatever caused the room to be 3 hours late they attempted to remedy with whatever this stuff was, also leaving the bedroom carpet wet. Call from the room phone and getting nowhere - “it’s late and they don’t have something else open”. After realizing that was a call center, went back to front desk to explain. They are having a hard time trying to find us another room. Eventually they did, we get our stuff together and go. Lo and behold! There is a room open right in the category we booked. After all this.

No apology. Nothing. Granted I just tried to get this solved trying not to get upset. Focused on getting my family into a room and not complaining about what a Shipshow this was. But c’mon is this anything near normal? Check-in over 4 hours late, and then STILL attempted to put us in an uninhabitable room. Then made us wait longer, keep moving our stuff all over the place, and then and only then, put us in a acceptable room… that existed the whole time. With not so much as a sorry.

I don’t complain about much of what Disney does.

Accountability. Stuff happens. I get that. How it is handled matters.

Agree with all of the comments made. I booked Poly because I love the resort and the atmosphere. To me no other Disney hotel offers the same “feel,” if that makes sense. Being sent to the Contemporary is a downgrade (evidenced by the re-pricing) but I did choose it out of the options they gave since it’s on the monorail and we can walk to MK.
It’s not the first or last trip to the Poly for my family. The difference for this trip is that we are taking my mom, who has never stayed at the Polynesian and I was looking forward to being there with her. We will still go over there to visit.
If it was just my immediate family (who had stayed at Poly many times and will continue to stay there) maybe I would feel differently? I just really wanted my mom to be able to experience it.
I’m so sorry she won’t get to :(

This may sound crazy but keep checking Poly each day before your trip. I know of a vet DISer who changed Disney reservations after arriving at MCO when what she wanted opened on her day of arrival, you just never know (and Disney will change your res without charging the cancellation penalty).

What do you suggest? GF is full, Poly is overbooked, OP didn’t want BC or AK. CR is their best option.

Sure I wish they had gotten some comp money or been offered a tower CR room as a comp but Disney isn’t in a great giving mood, not much OP can do.
There is no good solution, but to suggest that they shouldn’t be upset because they got something equivalent is not realistic. They didn’t.

@Disneylovingmomof2 will still be able to experience all of the atmosphere, food, and the beach for Fireworks without staying at the Poly next week.

@Disneylovingmomof2 was given a choice of AK, BC, or the CR. The CR is located on the MK Monorail loop and the guest wanted to be at the MK area. Also the Guest is a DVC owner at the Poly, this is not a once in a lifetime trip to stay at the Poly. Yes every reason to be disapointed with this turn of event. There are physical issues preventing guest rooms from being available at the Poly.

As @gottalovepluto indicated next weekend is going to be extremely busy due to it being a race weekend. Is it a perfect replacement for what @Disneylovingmomof2 booked. But is sure beats commuting from AK or the BC.

Dave
Visiting a hotel isn’t the same as staying there, not even close.
There isn’t a prefect solution here, but to suggest garden wing at CR is equivalent to the poly isn’t realistic. I feel something else should have been done to make this right. Some kind of credit beyond the difference in cost, extra LL’s, some kind of acknowledgment that this is not the trip they had planned.

If it was me I would continue to call to ask if anything had been cancelled to restore my original reservation .
I would also explain that this is not just a place to stay as a return visit but my hope to enjoy this experience with my mother who has never stayed there with me or family. Why is she being penalized when they have many other guests to” move”
Just her bad luck because her room number happens to be in that location ?
I would continue to try to make it right the way I had hoped for otherwise the visit will be disappointing before I even arrive.
It might seem like not that big of a change but if it was my mother , it would be…

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest