Bouncy, Trouncy, Flouncy, Pouncy-MAY PTR-*5/9 - FRUSTRATIONS & 6 days left*

Thanks for the heads up on CHH - I'll do some checking before assuming they'll be open. As of yesterday my kiddos did decide to join me on Mission:Space as long as it's on "the mild side".

Any tips on Prime Time antics ... what about the best food to order at CHH?

Lastly - you definitely got me ... it's not an accident to arrive in Hershey ... and find myself going into the Disney store :rolleyes1

We never got to eat at CHH since it was closed but we plan to on our one MK day in a few weeks. We always seem to end up at Cosmic Rays which I love but I want to broaden my horizons!

Prime Time - my only advice is to just seem open to the antics. Most of the wait staff try to read you to see if you will play along or not adn adjust their schtick accordingly. Put your elbows on the table, don't say please and thank you, that sort of thing. A lot will depend on your server but hopefully you will get a good one!

We are thinking about going to Hersheypark on Sunday (weather permitting) so I may get drawn into the Disney store too! :rolleyes1

So we may or may not have gotten to bed at a halfway decent time last night?? :confused3 ... but the morning of day 5 leaves some room to flex.

Since there's no Early Morning openings and our rez at Boma is for 10am; its likely we'll ease the pace for this morning.

What is everyone's take on Boma these days? Last time we went in 2008 this breakfast buffet was ALL that was talked about. I've read some pretty mixed reviews lately though :confused:

Post breakfast (by the way - understand at this moment I WILL be in coffee heaven. If you read my ADR's you'd know that - in all reality - as long as I have one ... or two ... press pots of Kenyan Coffee I'll be loving life) we'll be heading to one of the parks. According to the kiddos (remember, they're dictating what will be done :rotfl:) we'll be headed from Boma over to AK ... as of today BOTH my boys have announced they'll join me for Expedition Everest :thumbsup2 ...

now I'm gonna be a little sneaky here and let you all in on MY plan for this day (shhhhhh, don't tell the kiddos) ...

When we leave Boma I want to surprise them with an afternoon at Disney Quest. I know my kiddos will go absolutely BONKERS in this place ... and we haven't talked ONE BIT about going in ... so it will be the perfect way to give them an awesome unexpected memory.

BONUS - tonight is EMH at AK ... soooo ... Expedition Everest to end Day 5 ... SA -weet.

OK - I asked one question above: "How is Boma now?"

Here's another question: I wanna do Counter Service in AK for dinner ... Yak & Yeti, Flame Tree, or something else?

While I'm being inquisitive, let me ask this ... "What is your favorite region/country in the AK?":confused3

So we may or may not have gotten to bed at a halfway decent time last night?? :confused3 ... but the morning of day 5 leaves some room to flex.

Time to flex is always good! Especially around day 5!

Since there's no Early Morning openings and our rez at Boma is for 10am; its likely we'll ease the pace for this morning.

Grand idea! I'd sleep in! ;)

What is everyone's take on Boma these days? Last time we went in 2008 this breakfast buffet was ALL that was talked about. I've read some pretty mixed reviews lately though :confused:

:confused3 I, for my own pallette's pleasure, hope it's superb!

Post breakfast (by the way - understand at this moment I WILL be in coffee heaven. If you read my ADR's you'd know that - in all reality - as long as I have one ... or two ... press pots of Kenyan Coffee I'll be loving life) we'll be heading to one of the parks. According to the kiddos (remember, they're dictating what will be done :rotfl:) we'll be headed from Boma over to AK ... as of today BOTH my boys have announced they'll join me for Expedition Everest :thumbsup2 ...

You better be loving the bathrooms too! :lmao:

now I'm gonna be a little sneaky here and let you all in on MY plan for this day (shhhhhh, don't tell the kiddos) ...

OK, I promise! Mum's the word!

When we leave Boma I want to surprise them with an afternoon at Disney Quest. I know my kiddos will go absolutely BONKERS in this place ... and we haven't talked ONE BIT about going in ... so it will be the perfect way to give them an awesome unexpected memory.[/QUOTE]

You think of everything, don't you!?

BONUS - tonight is EMH at AK ... soooo ... Expedition Everest to end Day 5 ... SA -weet.

We lost an MNSSHP, but gained an AK EMH!! Not a fair trade, but not rotten either.

Again....:confused3 but hoping for the best.

Here's another question: I wanna do Counter Service in AK for dinner ... Yak & Yeti, Flame Tree, or something else?

I"m doing Flame Tree one day, and Pizzafari antoher. PF is for the murals alone.

While I'm being inquisitive, let me ask this ... "What is your favorite region/country in the AK?":confused3

I like Asia the best; the theming is an authentic as it gets. I just read in my Imagineers Book on AK that they sent an Imagineer over to live in Bali for 2 years to collect and commission props and art!!!! :worship:

We love Boma, it's a must for at least one breakfast every trip. :thumbsup2
The only CS we've eaten at is Flame Tree and we loved it so much it is also a must for this trip.
Disney Quest is lots of fun. :goodvibes That is going to be a great surprise. :cool1:

We never got to eat at CHH since it was closed but we plan to on our one MK day in a few weeks. We always seem to end up at Cosmic Rays which I love but I want to broaden my horizons!

Prime Time - my only advice is to just seem open to the antics. Most of the wait staff try to read you to see if you will play along or not adn adjust their schtick accordingly. Put your elbows on the table, don't say please and thank you, that sort of thing. A lot will depend on your server but hopefully you will get a good one!

We are thinking about going to Hersheypark on Sunday (weather permitting) so I may get drawn into the Disney store too! :rolleyes1

Thanks for the PT advice ... I think we'll be the kind of group that will "draw it out" of the server :rotfl2:

Lemme know if you get to Hershey ... btw - some AMAZING sales at the store right now!:thumbsup2

Time to flex is always good! Especially around day 5!
Grand idea! I'd sleep in! ;)

:confused3 I, for my own pallette's pleasure, hope it's superb!

You better be loving the bathrooms too! :lmao:

OK, I promise! Mum's the word!

We lost an MNSSHP, but gained an AK EMH!! Not a fair trade, but not rotten either.

I"m doing Flame Tree one day, and Pizzafari antoher. PF is for the murals alone.

I like Asia the best; the theming is an authentic as it gets. I just read in my Imagineers Book on AK that they sent an Imagineer over to live in Bali for 2 years to collect and commission props and art!!!! :worship:

Thanks for affirming my plans ... both to sleep in and to surprise the kiddos!

As for the aftereffects of that coffee ... hmmm ... is it horrible to say that potential discomfort is worth the coffee-bliss :-)laughing: god how much of an addict do I sound like with THAT comment)

Liesa - tell me more about the murals at Pizzafari - I've never been :confused3

It just makes me shake my head in disbelief ... DIsney is SOOO awesome ... I can just imagine this (incredibly lucky) imagineer sent to Bali for two years with the sole responsibility of making sure visitors to AK feel magically transported ... so cool!!

We love Boma, it's a must for at least one breakfast every trip. :thumbsup2
The only CS we've eaten at is Flame Tree and we loved it so much it is also a must for this trip.
Disney Quest is lots of fun. :goodvibes That is going to be a great surprise. :cool1:

:goodvibes Ahhhhhhh ... it just makes me feel so good to hear that you also know the need for Boma. I hate getting drawn into some of the negative reviews because my own experience always seems to be positive. Sometimes I wonder if it's simply a matter of a person's outlook?? :confused3

I hold a similar love for Flame Tree - we've eaten there our last three trips and each time we LOVE going down behind the restaurant to the amazing seating section. I got some food from Y&Y counter last time and took it to the same seating area ... and loved it ... sooooo??????

I promise some TR pics of the DQ surprise!

What is everyone's take on Boma these days?
CAVEAT: I've never been for Bfast. But my last couple visits for dinner haven't been as good as previous visits, I'm afraid. Not bad, but not as astounding as it once was.

:woohoo:

I may be the sole DISer of this opinion, but... I can't stand Flame Tree. :crazy2: Never been to Y&Y, but we always enjoy Pizzafari! :thumbsup2

Gotta go with Asia. I've long had a thing for Eastern decor and I can't get enough of tiger-watching. :cloud9:

The Imagineers Field Guide says:

"The walls of Pizzafari are adorned with series of extraordinary murals, and each has a story to tell. These spectacular pieces of art are the work of legendary Disney aritsist Fran Armitage, who was coaxed out of retirement for this task. Each room is graced by the presence of a different collection of animals that share some categorical theem that ties them together.

The food service area is adorned with the images of ornamental animals- peacocks, parrots, butterflies and fancy fish.The dining rooms (behind you when you order) features animals that hang upside-down such opossums, bats, and snakes. When you enter the hallway to the rear of the building, you are treated to a collection of Oaxacan wood carvings of fantastically patterened animals in numerous combinations.

The room to the left is populated with animals that carry their houses- turtle, snails, kangaroos, and such. To the right, is the room for nocturnal animals. Its owls, wolves, and raccoons stare back at us through the night. Straight ahead if you can spot them, you'll see animals that camouflage themselves in their habitats. There are leopards, tigers, deer, and polar bears, with all their almost-invisible freinds. See if you can find the birds hidden in the grass."

Amazing, is it not??!!

"The walls of Pizzafari are adorned with series of extraordinary murals, and each has a story to tell. These spectacular pieces of art are the work of legendary Disney aritsist Fran Armitage, who was coaxed out of retirement for this task. Each room is graced by the presence of a different collection of animals that share some categorical theem that ties them together.

The food service area is adorned with the images of ornamental animals- peacocks, parrots, butterflies and fancy fish.The dining rooms (behind you when you order) features animals that hang upside-down such opossums, bats, and snakes. When you enter the hallway to the rear of the building, you are treated to a collection of Oaxacan wood carvings of fantastically patterened animals in numerous combinations.

The room to the left is populated with animals that carry their houses- turtle, snails, kangaroos, and such. To the right, is the room for nocturnal animals. Its owls, wolves, and raccoons stare back at us through the night. Straight ahead if you can spot them, you'll see animals that camouflage themselves in their habitats. There are leopards, tigers, deer, and polar bears, with all their almost-invisible freinds. See if you can find the birds hidden in the grass."

Amazing, is it not??!!

::yes:: We love looking at the murals over lunch!

When we leave Boma I want to surprise them with an afternoon at Disney Quest. I know my kiddos will go absolutely BONKERS in this place ... and we haven't talked ONE BIT about going in ... so it will be the perfect way to give them an awesome unexpected memory.

Sleeping in and then breakfast at Boma sounds good! We didn't love Boma for dinner but we are not the most adventurous eaters.

A surprise trip to DisneyQuest! You are one brave dad! I can't imagine try to track three kids by myself in that place! We weren't overly impressed with it but Jordan was little when we went (4 1/2) and I think that made a difference.

We did evening EMH at AK our last trip and loved it! Jordan made me ride EE three times that day since she was finally tall enough (she had just turned 6) to ride. The only negative to AK evening EMH is that quite a few things close at the end of regular park time so plan accordingly if you want to see/do any of those attractions.

We actually like Pizzafari better than Flame Tree too.

I think we are going to hit Hershey for a few hours on Sunday. The weather calls for chance of thunderstorms so hopefully that will scare people without season passes away - LOL!

I love the DisneyQuest surprise for the kids, adds a little extra magic to the day!:wizard:

We've only had Boma for dinner. We're get to the parks before they open type commandos that can't be bothered with a sit-down breakfast. Except at Crystal Palace.

Flame Tree is my favorite counter service at AK. The food is great (as long as you like bbq), and I love sitting way down by the water, great scenery. We tried Yak & Yeti last time, and it was good, but not great. We've had much better chinese food in other places.

My favorite region in the AK.....hmm tough decision. I really like Asia. DS loves watching the little monkeys, can't remember what they're called, but there's an area in Asia with tons of little monkeys all over the place.

CAVEAT: I've never been for Bfast. But my last couple visits for dinner haven't been as good as previous visits, I'm afraid. Not bad, but not as astounding as it once was.

I may be the sole DISer of this opinion, but... I can't stand Flame Tree. :crazy2: Never been to Y&Y, but we always enjoy Pizzafari! :thumbsup2

Gotta go with Asia. I've long had a thing for Eastern decor and I can't get enough of tiger-watching. :cloud9:

A lot of my Dis Friends love Asia ... I'm going to be more attentive in that area this year ... AND ... it's settled ... yes, we'll likely do something QS from Flame Tree BUT we're gonna hit Pizzafari as well :cool1:

Amazing, is it not??!!

Liesa ... Amazing INDEED ... thank you for sharing this ... I just read it to the kids and it's been added as a "MUST DO" to our list ... one more reason to be excited :worship:

::yes:: We love looking at the murals over lunch!

And I'm betting so will we :3dglasses

Sleeping in and then breakfast at Boma sounds good! We didn't love Boma for dinner but we are not the most adventurous eaters.

A surprise trip to DisneyQuest! You are one brave dad! I can't imagine try to track three kids by myself in that place! We weren't overly impressed with it but Jordan was little when we went (4 1/2) and I think that made a difference.

We did evening EMH at AK our last trip and loved it! Jordan made me ride EE three times that day since she was finally tall enough (she had just turned 6) to ride. The only negative to AK evening EMH is that quite a few things close at the end of regular park time so plan accordingly if you want to see/do any of those attractions.

We actually like Pizzafari better than Flame Tree too.

I think we are going to hit Hershey for a few hours on Sunday. The weather calls for chance of thunderstorms so hopefully that will scare people without season passes away - LOL!

I have a feeling that once the kiddos go on EE it'll end up as one of their faves (i.e. several rides on this great coaster) ... my entire family is filled with adventurous eaters ... and Ethan (as we talked about Boma) said, "I can't wait to get another bowl of the quinoa with dried fruits" ... ummmmmm, it's weird what kids remember sometimes :confused3

As for Disney Quest ... yeah, I held off on that till this year simply because I didn't think they'd really get a lot out of it ... but this year I have a feeling they'll go bonkers over it :tigger:

I hope the weather holds up for you at Hershey ... but also that the "threat" fends off the crowds.

I love the DisneyQuest surprise for the kids, adds a little extra magic to the day!:wizard:

We've only had Boma for dinner. We're get to the parks before they open type commandos that can't be bothered with a sit-down breakfast. Except at Crystal Palace.

Flame Tree is my favorite counter service at AK. The food is great (as long as you like bbq), and I love sitting way down by the water, great scenery. We tried Yak & Yeti last time, and it was good, but not great. We've had much better chinese food in other places.

My favorite region in the AK.....hmm tough decision. I really like Asia. DS loves watching the little monkeys, can't remember what they're called, but there's an area in Asia with tons of little monkeys all over the place.

I'm guessing that when we do grab Flametree I'll likely end up with something from Y&Y ... so upon return I'll fill you all in :)

Well I can't help you on Boma, having only been there for dinner but everything I've read has been good.

Interesting....we are plotting a similar surprise!

We were quite happy with Y&Y counter service on our last trip.

"11 Days Dad ... 11 days"

So goes the present Mantra in the Hower household. We're now at that place where even the loosest associations will lend to a Disney conversation:

"Dad, what's for breakfast" ... "Oh, ok ... do they have toast at Disney World". (You get the picture) :confused3

Yesterday I got word my niece had a horrible tummy-tum virus ... given that my brother's family holds 5 children; my pre-Disney worries set in. As of today, no one else in that family has gotten ill ... but I'm sure all my Dis'friends can appreciate the elevated concern.

So it is ... we will now officially remain roughly 5.5 miles apart from said family ... we will use liberal application of hand sanitizer at 10 to 15 minute intervals ... and the Doctor will get a call when even the slightest sniffle or complaint of a tummy ache manifests. :sick:

As for vitamins ... don't get me started ... if there's a supplement to boost immunity; I'll find a way to work it into our diet.

4 years ago - when we took our first trip with the kiddos to Disney - Gavin fell nasty ill while we were there (we're talkin knocked out sick with a fever, aches, shakes, and quakes) ... that meant seeing the poor guy suffer ... and foregoing a lot of plans as we attempted to balance his sickies with destinations for the other two. So my nervousness is justifiable (I think??)

In all other ways things are coming together beautifully for the trip. All the tickets have arrived ... things are paid off and checked off ... I even got a smashing new bathing suit on a great sale at the Hilfiger outlet store :cool1:

So how bout a Day 6 glance

I ended with Day 5 and the Bbboma breakfast, D-Quest surprise, and AK EMH.

For those keeping track, this will be our last full day at Disney :eek: and thus we'll strive to make it a good one.

Morning MK EMH is a great way to start things off ... a little rope drop ... followed by some ride love in the form of PoC, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, Space Mtn ... ok, I know we won't get on all of'em ... but I can dream big mountain kinda dreams right :confused3

Since we may have skipped breakfast to get to the rope drop we'll likely burn a snack credit in there at the Main St Bakery ... then head back late morning to the resort for a QS lunch and some pool time.

Late afternoon we'll make our way back to my kiddos fave park (Epcot as a reminder) where we have a 4:40 pm rez for the Chip n' Dale character meal at the Land :thumbsup2 ... before we go in, the plan will be to snag a FP for whichever ride the kids feel they MUST get on one last time (my bets are on Test Track).

We plan to close Epcot tonight ... catch Illuminations ... and maybe find somewhere to sit and reminisce.

I'm sure we'll find some way to prolong the night ... and close out this trip in true Disney form!!:dance3:

Yes! I'd stay CLEAR of the sick house, for sure! None of that is needed now! You've paid FAR too much for this kind of fun. Oh, and your kids might feel yucky too.
:lmao:

I bet TT too. Hmmm... I've not heard of too many folk doing The Land meal. Be sure to let us know how that one goes!

I also foresee oodles of pool time in your future. Just call me Madame Leota.

Sick at Disney is the worst! When I was a kid, it was our second trip to Disney, we drove and stopped in NC to see friends from whom we ALL got the flu! But we couldn't let that stop us when we had already paid for everything... that was the first and last time my parent ever bought a vacation package!

Keep up your defense strategies and I'm sure you'll all be fine!

I once got a terrible ear infection while in FL. My parents decided they were not going to spend the money to get into Disney with a sick kid so we ended up at some gardens (maybe Busch Gardens??) instead. Stay Healthy!!!

I can't believe you are only 11 days out!!! It is SO close!

So goes the present Mantra in the Hower household. We're now at that place where even the loosest associations will lend to a Disney conversation:

"Dad, what's for breakfast" ... "Oh, ok ... do they have toast at Disney World". (You get the picture) :confused3
:lmao: Okay, I really did LOL at that! Yep, I know exactly what you mean! ::yes::

So it is ... we will now officially remain roughly 5.5 miles apart from said family ... we will use liberal application of hand sanitizer at 10 to 15 minute intervals ... and the Doctor will get a call when even the slightest sniffle or complaint of a tummy ache manifests. :sick:
Yep, yep, yep on that, too. Every trip, without fail, one or both of us winds up with a cold the week before a Disney trip. This week is no exception. :rolleyes:

Late afternoon we'll make our way back to my kiddos fave park (Epcot as a reminder) where we have a 4:40 pm rez for the Chip n' Dale character meal at the Land :thumbsup2 ...
It's a good one! :thumbsup2 Ask for a lower level table; much better seats and a much better view.

Yes! I'd stay CLEAR of the sick house, for sure! None of that is needed now! You've paid FAR too much for this kind of fun. Oh, and your kids might feel yucky too.
:lmao:

I bet TT too. Hmmm... I've not heard of too many folk doing The Land meal. Be sure to let us know how that one goes!

I also foresee oodles of pool time in your future. Just call me Madame Leota.

Oodles indeed ... as for the sickies - is there a limit to the amount of vitamins that can be ingested before adverse effects take hold?? :rotfl2:

Sick at Disney is the worst! When I was a kid, it was our second trip to Disney, we drove and stopped in NC to see friends from whom we ALL got the flu! But we couldn't let that stop us when we had already paid for everything... that was the first and last time my parent ever bought a vacation package!

Keep up your defense strategies and I'm sure you'll all be fine!

See ... that's why I don't drive and for PETE's sake do NOT stop in North Carolina!

I once got a terrible ear infection while in FL. My parents decided they were not going to spend the money to get into Disney with a sick kid so we ended up at some gardens (maybe Busch Gardens??) instead. Stay Healthy!!!

I can't believe you are only 11 days out!!! It is SO close!

Oh wow ... this made me shiver :scared1: ... driving past the Disney gates to go to some other place ... how sad ... now I definitely won't get sick (and neither will the kids dangit!)

:lmao: Okay, I really did LOL at that! Yep, I know exactly what you mean! ::yes::

Yep, yep, yep on that, too. Every trip, without fail, one or both of us winds up with a cold the week before a Disney trip. This week is no exception. :rolleyes:

It's a good one! :thumbsup2 Ask for a lower level table; much better seats and a much better view.

Somehow ... this morning ... Gavin went to the bathroom a sleepy little boy and came out mid-sentence gabbering something about Disney World as though we were mid-conversation before he went in ...
"... so does that really happen at Disney" ... seeing that he'd just come from the bathroom I Did NOT want to touch the question!:confused3

Hello Dis'board friends.

I share these last few PTR days of countdown with you - albeit with far less enthusiasm than I started out.

To make something that I COULD turn into a really long tale - into something short and not-so-sweet. I've gotten so much amazing info through perusing the boards ... new restaurants to try, strategies to employ, tricks to pursue. In and through that infusion of passion I've been able to write articles for a website I know some of you have gone and given a read to.

Yesterday I posted a question about one of those articles on the Disney Restaurant thread - and :confused: it got flagged and :confused: I got flagged for "using the forums for advertising :confused3 and so that thread was removed :mad: and now I had to remove the examiner link from my signature :mad: and now I'm just feeling frustrated.

So long story short, I don't know what level of investment I'll have from this point forward ... I may just sulk a little and be frustrated at the moderator who made it her cause to flag me ... or I may just decide the frustrations over something that was genuinely harmless (and - in reality - I gave credit to Dis and to friends and linked back to information I thought examiner readers would value on the dis boards) are enough for me to cease to invest in writing my thoughts here. I don't want that - because I was having a LOT of fun doing this ... and was so excited over ideas for my TR when I return ... but it's hard to feel like you're getting your knuckles smacked.

Anyway - for all my Dis'friends ... if I do back out of contributing I'll want to get some contact info outside this board (thinking of the DC meet in August, etc) but I'll keep you all posted if that's the decision that's made.

On to another - much more happy note.

We now have just 6 days till we'll be in Disney World. Yesterday was spent shopping for some of the clothing items still needed (new bathing suits, comfy shoes, etc) and with each new moment comes a world of anticipation.

Yesterday I also printed out some info for my parents about CHH at Magic Kingdom - I think it's right up their alley. Can anyone fill me in on the "Anchors Aweigh" sandwich ... is it tuna salad (i.e. mixed with mayo, etc) or something different?

Thanks for reading ... thanks for the valued friendships.

awww i'm sooo sorry about all that's happened. I think a little venting will help with your frustrations. on a lighter note...only 6 days left! so exciting!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it! About CHH, we had plans to eat there but when we got there, it didn't really impress my DBF so we ate at Pinocchio Village Haus instead. Just another to-do to add to my list for next trip! If I miss your send off, i hope you folks have a wonderful, magical vacation! I know you will! Have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter