Black Licorice Overdose kills man

Zout Drop! My late husband was born in the Netherlands. He LOVED that stuff. I like it, too, but not too salty. Haven’t had it in years.
:) Salted licorice is really acquired taste. Anyone who's not used to it, I always advise to start with sweet and then switch to salt. Double salted is only for the die-hards.

For anyone in the US who want to try, there are some webshops that sell Dutch treats:
https://www.thedutchstore.com/webstore/product.aspx?code=149&list=104A149&type=ITEMCATEGORY

https://www.licoriceinternational.com/licorice/pc/Dutch-Licorice-c4.htm

As a child in the fifties living near Pontefract in Yorkshire we would regularly buy liquorice roots. These dry, woody twigs were chewed and sucked to get the intense liquorice flavour. Commercial extraction for the manufacture of sweets such as Pontefract Cakes was a local industry back then.

ford family
Nothing beats a packet of fresh, soft licorice allsorts - the good ones all come from England. :thumbsup2

Nothing beats a packet of fresh, soft licorice allsorts - the good ones all come from England. :thumbsup2
*protests softly in Dutch* ;-)

I did some digging, and as most things, it started in (Eur)Asia and Africa/Southern Europe to chew on the roots of the plant before they discovered how to extract the flavour.

I love Good N Plenty and only eat black jelly beans around Easter (I buy a bag of just the black ones). I could never eat enough to cause that reaction though. 🤪

MJ

The best licorice I ever had was when I was in Iceland. I don't know what kind it was though. Some of it was coated in chocolate - mmm! I smuggled a little home but it did not last long! I know a lot of people don't like black licorice, but sometimes I think it's just because they only have the American kind. I mean, black Twizzlers (which it sems this guy was eating) are pretty bad. The European stuff though is great. I can get Darrell-Lea around here which is Australian is really good too.

Last edited:
I'm Dutch, we are born to love licorice, but who in the world thinks that a bag of licorice a day was a good idea.
But then again, the man had more health problems...

I'm just glad that KLM focuses on stroopwafels (and Delft houses) rather than licorice :)

I'm just glad that KLM focuses on stroopwafels (and Delft houses) rather than licorice :)
Stroopwafels are always a success. It's my go-to treat when I have people over from outside NL, or whatI used to bring them on a business trip to the US.
I don't think we have ever had licorice on board at KLM. We had beer on tap as a gimmick on a few flights, and I think 'bitterballen' are probably too dangerous to prepare. Frying in hot oil at ten thousand feet... (and the oven version just doesn't taste as good).

I do remember that we had licorice in KLM's business class lounge in Amsterdam when I used to work there. And other Dutch sweets, like sprinkles for on toast.

Last edited:
The best licorice I ever had was when I was in Iceland. I don't know what kind it was though. Some of it was coated in chocolate - mmm! I smuggled a little home but it did not last long! I know a lot of people don't like black licorice, but sometimes I think it's jsut because they only have the American kind. I mean, black Twizzlers (which it sems this guy was eating) are pretty bad. The European stuff though is great. I can get Darrell-Lea around here which is Australian is really good too.

Not in my case, I hate everything with that licorice-y flavor. I can't stand anise or fennel, either.

Black licorice is disgusting so I can't see how anyone could do this to themselves to begin with.

The guy in the article ate a pound and a half of it every day for over a week, and ended up dying from a nutrient imbalance while sitting at a fast food restaurant. While it is easy to blame the licorice, it sounds like he had a lot more health and dietary issues that significantly helped lead to his death.

He didnt die from a "nutrient imbalance." He died from an ELECTROLYTE imbalance, which causes the electrical system in the heart to short circuit, leading to deadly heart rhythms. The same thing can happen if you get severely dehydrated or drink way too much water. Sodium and potassium have to be balanced in order to maintain proper heart function. There is literally a chemical in licorice root that causes your potassium level to drop and if you eat too much, it drops to dangerous levels. It's a chemistry issue, not a nutritional one (although eating a pound of candy daily isn't a wise nutritional choice). If he had eaten a pound of gummi bears instead, he'd still be alive right now.

I eat a bag of licorice every day, but take lots of potassium. I chase it down with a bottle of Sambuca. #blacklicoricematters
At Sambuca, we think friends, family, food and fun are what life should be about. Our philosophy is shared with all who walk into our restaurants. Sambuca features savory new American food and modern cocktails that will tempt any palate and nourish the soul. Our nightly live music will engage our guests in the energetic vibe of the restaurant, reminding them to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. We throw a party---a really great party--for our guests every night!

Black licorice is disgusting so I can't see how anyone could do this to themselves to begin with.
.....liver, codliver oil, horehound candy, hominy whole grain, boiled asparagus, raw potatoes ....this how my parents set me up to eat disgusting...and a can of boiled peas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter